• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah while I don't play games for romance options, I don't know if I feel like playing something that is just not offering this for me. Not my thing.
Wasn't Ike in previous games heavily implied to have a male lover?

not in the localized version at least. they definitely have gotten better about this kind of stuff but they have a long way to go still.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah while I don't play games for romance options, I don't know if I feel like playing something that is just not offering this for me. Not my thing.

Less he got a lover and more he was his emotional anchor.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Well, "lover" is maybe strong, but he does exclusively have paired endings with two men where they ride off into the sunset together, and one of those men is emotionally intimate with him. Unfortunately most of Ike's games' writers are gone, and they're still frustratingly coy and subtextual about m/m relationships, while more overt with f/f ones.

Personally, I just play the female avatar most of the time, where I can take my pick. "Relationships" in Three Houses are really more just "paired endings"—there's not really an actual dating sim aspect, as much as people use that term for Fire Emblem.

There are quite a few subtextual non-avatar m/m paired endings in 3H, FWIW.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
And then there is Ferdinand and Huber A+ rank

Hubert: Is that a gift, perhaps for someone you fancy
Ferdinand: a gift! Yes, for you!

They even have the romance background song usually used for M/F A ranks

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I've been wanting to get into this game for a while, but honestly from what I've heard the game has a large amount of slice of life filler and the plot apprently focuses more on daily life in a school setting which frankly is the most boring place a video game could take place in in my opinion.

My question is, is it possible to completely skip and ignore all of the relationship and school stuff in the game and focus entirely on the battles and plot? If so, I might finally be able to stomach this game.

You'd a miss a lot of the story that way. The support convos hold crucial information, backstory and characterization. Without it, you'd get bare bones portions and everyone would seem a lot more one dimensional than they actually are not to mention that you would'd get very minimum expansion on relationships between house characters.

You can build relationships via battling but they're actually much slower doing it this way and it would pretty much mess with your strategy that way.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
You'd a miss a lot of the story that way. The support convos hold crucial information, backstory and characterization. Without it, you'd get bare bones portions and everyone would seem a lot more one dimensional than they actually are not to mention that you would'd get very minimum expansion on relationships between house characters.

You can build relationships via battling but they're actually much slower doing it this way and it would pretty much mess with your strategy that way.

You can make a full support rank in a single battle. I dont see how that is slow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get into this game for a while, but honestly from what I've heard the game has a large amount of slice of life filler and the plot apprently focuses more on daily life in a school setting which frankly is the most boring place a video game could take place in in my opinion.

My question is, is it possible to completely skip and ignore all of the relationship and school stuff in the game and focus entirely on the battles and plot? If so, I might finally be able to stomach this game.

The "Slice of Life" is one section every game month, if you want, and that is mostly just talking to characters to get back story etc. and do a handful of semi-mandatory quests. You can dive deep in it, but it isn't nearly as prominent as it is in the Persona games.

Skipping it totally is a bad idea. You're better off just playing any of the other Fire Emblem games if that is your intent. Too much of the plot and character is interwoven into the exploration/sim aspects of the game, with there being a huge amount of great characterization and backlog spread across the ~40-50 distinct "chapter/states" of the monastery.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You should recruit Petra, she's awesome.

Such a great game. Very rough on some aspects, but the core gameplay, story and characters are so good.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
C supports for sure but then they get harder and harder as you go up.

And then there's the inability to do inter-house supports without going to the monastery.

Its not that difficult really. With up to 3 free battles per weekend 3 times a month (because one is reserved for monastery exploring) you have way more than enough time to get to a rank by endgame.

Also personally i dont see a point of getting inter house supports with people you are not recruiting because you sre locked to B rank max for those.

The only way I see the monastery being required more than once a month is if you have too many units so that you dont have enough activity points to refresh everyone. Ive never gone past 20 units iirc

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
You can, but if you just skip exploring the monastery you won't be able to recruit characters as easily and it will make the game actually harder. I found that I was min maxing every month and exploring the monastery was better for leveling up skills than just straight battling.

I ended up only getting one other student in part one and one in part two, and yeah, it made the game more fun in the long run, playing Normal.

As it was, they both ended up just being adjutants most battles.

I imagine in harder modes you probably want to recruit more if only to thin the herd a bit...

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up only getting one other student in part one and one in part two, and yeah, it made the game more fun in the long run, playing Normal.

As it was, they both ended up just being adjutants most battles.

I imagine in harder modes you probably want to recruit more if only to thin the herd a bit...

On maddening i only recruited 3 more and went just fine and one of them wasnt even planned (it was anna and i only did it cause she was released and i wanted to try her). In fact having less students made it easier to level them up and train their skills.

I dont see what is there in the game that would make it easier with more characters considering the deploy limits

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
You absolutely will not regret it.

My friend. Let me tell you something. I picked up Death Stranding, Sekiro and Tales of Vesperia over the holiday. I haven't touched ToV but I've been playing Sekiro/Death Stranding. Sekiro is enjoyable if not a grind because of the trial and error focus and Death Stranding is.....yeah...Anyway. I picked this up and said I'd spend only an hour with it and I'm just sucked in. Amazing. I love my switch and the fact I'll be travelling quite a bit this year. It's literally perfect.

Does it work with Bluetooth headphones?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My friend. Let me tell you something. I picked up Death Stranding, Sekiro and Tales of Vesperia over the holiday. I haven't touched ToV but I've been playing Sekiro/Death Stranding. Sekiro is enjoyable if not a grind because of the trial and error focus and Death Stranding is.....yeah...Anyway. I picked this up and said I'd spend only an hour with it and I'm just sucked in. Amazing. I love my switch and the fact I'll be travelling quite a bit this year. It's literally perfect.

Sadly, no. There are multiple products on the market that plug into the headphone jack and provide Bluetooth audio, though. I haven't tried any of them myself but I have a Genki adapter coming hopefully in the next few weeks.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck....my guess for the Flame Emperor was right.

And Jesus Christ, Dimitri went off the deep end. I like it. #FelixWasRight.

Uh....Claude feels like DLC to Dimitri and Edelgard atm lol

Also I've recruited everyone but Ferdinand and I feel so bad for it now that he's told that his family's been stripped of everything including its own nobility.

Is it possible to recruit him after the timeskip? I'm so class to getting C Heavy Armor but it's not enough since I can't go past a C support with him.

I really recommend you trying out Golden Deer after your Blue Lion playthrough. That's what I did (haven't played Black Eagle yet).

Claude arguably has the best character arc of the 3 house leads, and generally speaking that route has a much better overall story that explain a lot of the stuff you're curious about (e.g. Seiros, the church, Sothis).

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019

As said above, it unfortunately doesn't come with bluetooth functionality which is a shame. I went wireless last year and it bugs me that I can't listen to the in-game music in its full glory. What house are you doing first?

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
You don't recruit characters to use them, aside from a couple that you like. You recruit them for their paralogues. Extra maps and their associated rewards > a slight emotional high upon slaughtering them. It's why Lorenz will always be safe even if he's on the weaker end of actual usability.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How is the Season Pass? I know there is a new chapter or something coming soon, but what has been in the pass up until now?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How is the Season Pass? I know there is a new chapter or something coming soon, but what has been in the pass up until now?
Some costumes, Battalions, the Sauna facility, and Anna made playable, with some additional quests and battles thrown in, are the most notable paid DLC content in the first three parts of the pass. The new story dropping in the last part of the pass is easily the most substantial reason to buy in.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Am I missing something with the combat? It seems so boring to me...

I feel like I'm just running to the enemies and hitting them. Then they hit me back. I win the fight fight because I'm stronger.

Range heroes still have to get pretty close, can't provide covering fire or anything. Attacks are pretty much all single target. Positioning doesnt seem to matter.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I'm just running to the enemies and hitting them. Then they hit me back. I win the fight fight because I'm stronger.

Range heroes still have to get pretty close, can't provide covering fire or anything. Attacks are pretty much all single target. Positioning doesnt seem to matter.

Are you playing on Normal Mode? It's notoriously basically a story mode, as far as difficulty goes. Hard pushes back more, but isn't terribly demanding. Maddening takes the difficulty up to 11.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City

The difficulty is unfortunately one of the things the game doesn't do very well. Unless you're totally new to SRPGs, you should be playing Hard/Classic to get a fair challenge. I'm currently doing a run on Maddening/Classic NG+ and it's pretty great. Gambits, combat arts/skills, and positioning really matter to a degree not seen even in Hard mode.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Are you playing on Normal Mode? It's notoriously basically a story mode, as far as difficulty goes. Hard pushes back more, but isn't terribly demanding. Maddening takes the difficulty up to 11.
The difficulty is unfortunately one of the things the game doesn't do very well. Unless you're totally new to SRPGs, you should be playing Hard/Classic to get a fair challenge. I'm currently doing a run on Maddening/Classic NG+ and it's pretty great. Gambits, combat arts/skills, and positioning really matter to a degree not seen even in Hard mode.

Yes I'm playing on normal. Not sure I want to start over after 9 hours. Is the auto-instruct good? May just skip through the first few months quickly then.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm playing on normal. Not sure I want to start over after 9 hours. Is the auto-instruct good? May just skip through the first few months quickly then.

It's fine, at least until you recruit more characters than you use, because the auto-instruct draws no distinction between active and benched units for training. There's no need to min/max in general, though, so you'll be fine auto-instructing. Just set the right goals for what you want from units.

It's unfortunate that you can't raise the difficulty mid-file -- really screws a lot of people over, with as long a game as this is, and as underwhelming as "Normal" is. You can lower it mid-file, though, if it ever becomes too much.

Oct 25, 2017

IMO, it is worth restarting if you're only 9 hours in. No point in slogging through another 50 when you could get back to where you are in ~3 hours.

Auto-Instruct is fine, so is doing Seminars on most free days.

Not being able to change the difficulty mid-game was a terrible, awful design decision by the developers, and it probably cost the game about a dozen GOTY awards. Such a massive design flaw that gets brought up constantly.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
hi everyone I'm approaching mid-20 levels now and are now locking down the master classes - what do you think with the below for Black Eagle?

Byleth:
Enlightened One
Edelgard:
Emperor
Ferdinand: Great Knight
Bernie: Bow Knight
Hubert: Dark Knight
Lindhart: Holy Knight
Petra: Wyvern Lord
Dorothea: Gremory
Casper: War Master
Flayn: Holy Knight

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
hi everyone I'm approaching mid-20 levels now and are now locking down the master classes - what do you think with the below for Black Eagle?

Byleth:
Enlightened One
Edelgard:
Emperor
Ferdinand: Great Knight
Bernie: Bow Knight
Hubert: Dark Knight
Lindhart: Holy Knight
Petra: Wyvern Lord
Dorothea: Gremory
Casper: War Master
Flayn: Holy Knight
Personally, I think these are fine; Petra makes an excellent Wyvern Lord. That said, you should need a dancer if you want a unit to have an extra turn. Of these, Dorothea is considered the best since Dancer can use her spells while being in that class.

Just don't make the spoiler character a dancer.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think these are fine; Petra makes an excellent Wyvern Lord. That said, you should need a dancer if you want a unit to have an extra turn. Of these, Dorothea is considered the best since Dancer can use her spells while being in that class.

Just don't make the spoiler character a dancer.
Oh awesome I actually just made Dorothea dancer - didn't know she can use her spells at the same time. let me do just that. thanks!

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I did but decided against that since I'm using usually reaching maximum units quota and got attached to the current group of students haha
Fair enough, you won't be lacking powerful units as the Black Eagles, anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, your game is fully updated to the current version, right?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I did but decided against that since I'm using usually reaching maximum units quota and got attached to the current group of students haha
I would suggest to at least recruit one of the other house. The best one is Lysithea for Black Eagles; she is an excellent spellcaster and she is the only student outside Black Eagles that has a support with Edel.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, you won't be lacking powerful units as the Black Eagles, anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, your game is fully updated to the current version, right?
Ya it is, why?
I would suggest to at least recruit one of the other house. The best one is Lysithea for Black Eagles; she is an excellent spellcaster and she is the only student outside Black Eagle that has a support with Edel.
I have heard good things about Lysithea, let me see if she's willing haha - thanks!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Ya it is, why?

I have heard good things about Lysithea, let me see if she's willing haha - thanks!
Yeah, recruiting spellcasters is kind of hard, unless your Byleth has high reason or faith or magic. What I did was increase their supports by gifting them what they liked and inviting them to tea whenever I could.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Ya it is, why?

Without going too deep into spoiler territory, when DLC wave 2 hit, the Black Eagle path got a free update. A fun one.

And yes, Lysithea is fun. She is the Gremory. She's also a total glass cannon. Sacrificing most Enemy Phase play for a ridiculous damage output on Player Phase.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm trying to get some heavy armor or cavalry guys on my team since I'm loaded with mages, but nobody wants to be recruited. Do I really have to level up those stats so they want to join? feels like a bit of a waste

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm trying to get some heavy armor or cavalry guys on my team since I'm loaded with mages, but nobody wants to be recruited. Do I really have to level up those stats so they want to join? feels like a bit of a waste
What difficulty are you on? The game is so easy it hardly matters unless you are on maddening.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Alright, I'm on chapter 15. Still on the Blue Lions route. I've been going slow because of all the paralogues.

Ingrid-Dorothea, Cyril-Hilda and Marianne's are my favorite so far.

Also I'm kind of under-leveled and always bordering on broke because I recruited everyone and do too much monastery and not enough battles.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
If you get a support up to rank b the requirements drop significantly.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
What house did you pick? Each one has at least one cavalry unit.

If you want them to have heavy armor you can train them in the skill during lectures.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm finally going to jump in on this game. Do I need to worry about accidentally building characters wrong? I don't want to get 20 hours into a game only to find out that I've screwed myself over.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm finally going to jump in on this game. Do I need to worry about accidentally building characters wrong? I don't want to get 20 hours into a game only to find out that I've screwed myself over.

Not really, no. You can see what skill ranks are required to unlock what classes, and build long-term from there. You can also just build characters along their pre-determined aptitudes.

But Advanced classes are easy to reach regardless, and aren't necessarily inferior to Master classes in many cases.

The biggest thing you can "screw up" at the start of the game is starting on too low a difficulty, since you can't adjust that upward--only downward. I'd recommend Hard for a first time. It's not very hard, while Normal is way too easy.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
On Normal, definitely not. Stunt building is actually a thing and most characters end up decent in most of their class choices. Adding to that, the characters themselves make suggestions like "A nobleman should be seen on horseback. I wish to learn riding and Lance to excel as a Cavalier!" and most of those suggestions are fine. Look at what weapons and magic everyone starts with and you should have an idea of where to go.

And if all else fails, train Axe and Flying and put them on a Wyvern.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
On my fourth playthrough, having just finished Verdant Winds and now pursuing Silver Snow.

That Golden Deer scene where
Edelgard begs you to kill her
just gutted me. I honestly wasn't a big fan of her until then. This game is about how fate and dreams can cause so much division, pain, and sorrow.

Oh, and what in Sothis did I listen to in that final battle? Its incredible!

Now doing an all women run. It's pretty cool haha.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Only place you could screw up would be swerving class paths at the last minute. For example, making a Paladin into a Dark Knight without putting them through mage at least would be a bad idea.