• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

Y'all, I just... This game. My god.

Important preface for those who might be curious about FFXIV in the future (as this is a PSA for anyone interested to give it a try): A Realm Reborn is the base game, Heavensward is the first expansion, then Stormblood, and currently we're at Shadowbringers.

I'm not one for MMOs. I think the only other MMO I played before this was 150 hours of picking flowers and junk in Ragnarok Online 2 when I was like 16. I adore the Final Fantasy franchise, and I saw there was a free trial several years ago for newbies like myself. My other friends like MMOs a lot more than I do, and encouraged me to try it out, promising to help me get my feet on the ground. They warned me fairly ahead of time that it was going to be rough at the start, as A Realm Reborn had to pull double-duty of rebuilding from the ashes of the original FFXIV and also bring the story forward in its own direction. I understood this, and steeled myself. This was about when Stormblood had just released if I remember right, and everyone told me "it gets good at Heavensward I promise!"

So, I strapped on my axe as a Marauder, because I figured "slappy axe tank is an easy starter for someone not into MMO combat". Thus began my journey into this realm, and to be honest? At first, it wasn't so bad. I knew there would be a ton of boring MMO sidequests, and in all honesty I wasn't sure how to approach an MMO in the first place. Chiefly, I was trying to play it like a single player RPG, often trying to shove through the game solo instead of with my friends because I wanted to just carve through the game. However, things quickly devolved for me, and I found myself hitting wall after wall where I was just not having fun. There is a very important reason for this, and it was the second major mistake I made in my early times: I was doing every sidequest, again like I would in a single player RPG. I mean every single quest marker I could find. Every. Single. One. In every starter area, in every map, I was trying to do everything. I was a level 25 Marauder doing tutorial quests in each and every kingdom as I visited them.

I was not enjoying my time with A Realm Reborn. At all. It was mindless to me. I was almost insufferably bored. It took me about 20 hours of this before my friends who, bless them they were trying to help my stupid ass, told me to ignore sidequests and only do main story quests (MSQs, for brevity) and quests for your class. You don't play an MMO like a single player RPG, and that was my first hurdle. After that, I started to level out. Though there were many annoying quests along the way of the main path, it was much better knowing I was getting close to the fabled "good parts" of the game. Unfortunately, I tired out and stopped for a while.

A couple years later, as Shadowbringers is coming out to rave reviews and unbelievable critical acclaim, I get that itch again. I want to be in the loop, in the circle. So I renew my subscription and start tearing ass through the rest of A Realm Reborn. With renewed vigor, I push through and after my playtime hit 50ish hours, I was taking down the final boss of ARR. I felt amazing! And yet again, my friends warned that the worst was yet to come, as the story updates between ARR and Heavensward were meandering and hard to swallow. How bad could it be after what I'd just gone through, anyway?

Bad, as it turns out. I burnt out again between the base game and the expansion. I took another break, and then recently I decided to finish it up several months ago. I renewed again, and decided to do another push. Sure enough, as I reached Heavensward, it was suddenly like a different set of writers popped into the team. The story picked up almost immediately as Heavensward approached, and I was cautiously drawn in.

Anyway, I went from the start of Heavensward to the start of Stormblood in about a month. That should tell you how invested I became in the story. My friends were not joking when they said it will get better. I started to involve my friends more in Heavensward as I went through dungeons and trials (bosses) and it was immediately more fun. Who could have possibly expected that a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG was more fun with people rather than trying to brute force it solo?

I'm now neck-deep into Stormblood and it's just not stopped being great. Between Heavensward and Stormblood, the interim was well-written to continue the story and didn't meander at all like the first gap between ARR and Heavensward. The peaks have been high and the valleys dreadfully low getting to this point, but suffice to say that if Shadowbringers is truly the best story content in this game yet, I just don't see how that can be possible having played all that I've played thus far. It's just too good. When I first heard the rumors of Yoshi P and his team doing FFXVI, I scoffed and worried deeply for the game, as I was toiling around between ARR and Heavensward. Now, I wouldn't have anyone else taking the keys.

Sorry for the rambling, that was way longer than expected. I may be late to the party, but please learn from me if you're interested in FFXIV. The three things I would implore you to keep in mind if you're going to begin your journey, if you're curious about the story like I was:

1. Do not play this like a single player RPG. It's a completely different genre for a reason. I was obstinate and was sure I could just force my way through it, but it caused nothing but problems. Get help from your friends if they play. Randoms will help you in dungeons if your friends aren't available, and so long as you tell them you're new to it, they will more often than not be glad to lend assistance to a budding adventurer.

2. Please try to make an effort to learn the combat. As a Warrior (the upgrade from Marauder), I thought my combat would be simple. And, it is! I don't have to worry too much about lots of buttons. I have a couple hotbars of commands and with help from my friends, I learned how to more easily handle combat with better hotbar command inputs. Instead of 1-0, - and =, consider 1-6, Shift+1-6, Ctrl+1-6, etc. Really try to feel it out instead of sticking with the default if that's not working for you. It'll make the tough grind at the beginning more bearable. Also keep in mind that the game was built essentially from the ground up with extremely solid controller support, so that may end up being more up your alley. Give it a shot, and see what fits.

3. For the love of god, please DO NOT do every sidequest. If your goal is, like mine, mainly to experience the story, don't bog yourself down with sidequests for the sake of sidequests. I've found that a good rule of thumb is: MSQs, flight quests (denoted by blue icons once you reach Heavensward, and when you enter the accept/decline menu, you'll see a green glowing crystal), class quests to learn new attacks and actions, and often times people will tell you which quests unlock more dungeons or bosses if you feel inclined to pursue those.

Thankfully, the grind has supposedly been made less awful between ARR and Heavensward, with MSQs shuffled around and some even outright changed to optional sidequests, cutting out the fat. My friend who has played both before and after tried it and said it's soooo much more manageable. It's now easier than ever to get to Heavensward, but keep in mind that it is a time commitment nonetheless. You will have to go through some mindless MMO to get to the "good stuff", and I mean upwards of 50-70 hours. If that's not for you, then nobody should fault you. That's a lot to handle.

But for me, it's been worth every minute of it now. I have heartily laughed, I have deeply cried, I have felt bitter anger at the dire circumstances you're put through during your journey. Consider me as having seen the light.

Though I've heard I'll have to snuff out the light soon enough...

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I am right in your shoes, OP. I also don't play MMOs and the only reason I tried out FFXIV is because I love the franchise in general. When the free trial expanded to include HW, I was persuaded to try it, with a friend helping me with tips and ease of play suggestions (ie, only do main quests, don't bother with materia unless I'm interested in savage raiding, etc). And now FFXIV is basically one of my favourite video game stories ever. The way the characters you come to know in ARR change so utterly by the time you hit the present storyline is incredible -- like a TV series in which characters undergo the wildest and most emotional transformations over the course of several seasons. "Answers" and "Dragonsong" are now my favourite FF vocal themes.

There is a very particular moment in HW 3.3, I think it is, where Dragonsong starts playing at a key story cutscene, and it never fails to make me tear up. If the team responsible for HW and said story moment is the team putting FFXVI into action, I will have NO doubts whatsoever about it.

The part I refer to is:
when the spirits of Haurchefant and Ysayle appear to help you and Alphinaud defeat Nidhogg for good.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The best is yet to come. StB's patch quests are far better than the base expansion (4.3 might still be my favorite trial in the game from a story perspective), and ShB is better than everything you've played so far. Enjoy.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also half way through Stormblood (right before Doma Castle) and I gotta say, I don't like the story too much so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than ARR's story (which I don't even think is terrible, it's just ARR is very much an old NES/SNES style FF story for the most part), but compared to Heavensward it's notably weaker.

My biggest issue with it is it seems like they tried to do too much at once.

Heavensward for the most part basically boils down to Dragons & the Church and how both affected that particular region.

Stormblood is Garleans being scum, freeing Ala Mhigo, here's a race of people doing a tournament arc, also a primal escaped and we're sending a weapon to go deal with it and that hasn't been touched on for ages, and just a lot of politics between all the different groups you encounter in comparison.

It just feels very overwhelming and disjointed in comparison to Heavensward.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SB is great imo if a lot more character centric I'd say personally. Lyse and Alisaie are very fun characters though and I like journeying with them.

However, ShB is fucking amazing. I thought people were overhyping this expansion to hell and back, but at least for me, nahhh, it's soo good with the post patches rivaling it. I have real trouble saying if I'd rank FF9 or the FF14 5.x content higher as my top FF.

OP
OP
Canas Renvall

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The best is yet to come. StB's patch quests are far better than the base expansion (4.3 might still be my favorite trial in the game from a story perspective), and ShB is better than everything you've played so far. Enjoy.
I've been having so much fun with the story, to hear that it's still only on the rise from here is so damn exciting, haha.

I'm also half way through Stormblood (right before Doma Castle) and I gotta say, I don't like the story too much so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than ARR's story (which I don't even think is terrible, it's just ARR is very much an old NES/SNES style FF story for the most part), but compared to Heavensward it's notably weaker.

My biggest issue with it is it seems like they tried to do too much at once.

Heavensward for the most part basically boils down to Dragons & the Church and how both affected that particular region.

Stormblood is Garleans being scum, freeing Ala Mhigo, here's a race of people doing a tournament arc, also a primal escaped and we're sending a weapon to go deal with it and that hasn't been touched on for ages, and just a lot of politics between all the different groups you encounter in comparison.

It just feels very overwhelming and disjointed in comparison to Heavensward.
I actually agree, it's not been unenjoyable though but I have enjoyed the story of Heavensward more so far. The characters remain top-notch just like in HW though. Alisaie and Lyse are fantastic, Alphinaud gets clowned on hard, and my god I haven't hated a villain in years as much as I despise Yotsuyu. Holy shit she makes my blood boil, and that's a good thing.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having so much fun with the story, to hear that it's still only on the rise from here is so damn exciting, haha.

I actually agree, it's not been unenjoyable though but I have enjoyed the story of Heavensward more so far. The characters remain top-notch just like in HW though. Alisaie and Lyse are fantastic, Alphinaud gets clowned on hard, and my god I haven't hated a villain in years as much as I despise Yotsuyu. Holy shit she makes my blood boil, and that's a good thing.

Well, I finished Stormblood today. (base game, not post quests)

The final trial is a big highlight, but my opinions are otherwise unchanged. Maybe the post quests will change my mind, but overall I find it immensely weaker than HW.

Yotsuyu was a highlight too, way better than Zenos for sure. Doesn't help that Zenos basically got the anime treatment of not getting character development/a ton of screen time until right near the end.

By the end I just didn't care about Lyse, nor did I care about basically anything else going on.

IDK, excited for Shadowbringers, since everyone has hyped it up, but man. I think I genuinely like ARR's story more than SB.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I finished Stormblood today. (base game, not post quests)

The final trial is a big highlight, but my opinions are otherwise unchanged. Maybe the post quests will change my mind, but overall I find it immensely weaker than HW.

Yotsuyu was a highlight too, way better than Zenos for sure. Doesn't help that Zenos basically got the anime treatment of not getting character development/a ton of screen time until right near the end.

By the end I just didn't care about Lyse, nor did I care about basically anything else going on.

IDK, excited for Shadowbringers, since everyone has hyped it up, but man. I think I genuinely like ARR's story more than SB.
The writer of ARR and Heavensward was pulled away to become the writer of Final Fantasy XVI so maybe that's why there is a big difference in quality.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
So I started the trial of this game and started without looking anything up. Did I make a terrible choice picking conjuror? I'm level 12 and I have zero use for any of my spells except stone and cure. Should I restart?

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in.
🤷

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So I started the trial of this game and started without looking anything up. Did I make a terrible choice picking conjuror? I'm level 12 and I have zero use for any of my spells except stone and cure. Should I restart?

🤷
I don't remember well at what level you can since Shadowbringers, but FFXIV allows you to change classes so no need to restart.

There's also an OT for FFXIV.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Question to those that finished Heavensward, are the expansion quests better than the base expansion? I think I finished the base expansion and just started with the quest after that. Found the base expansion alright but not something I'd invest time in again. So yeah, does it get better from that point on?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

🤷

Conjuror is fine, you can be white mage later on, which is a great healer class that can also DPS.

You won't have much at level 12 on any class though, you're not even high level enough for the first dungeon.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

🤷
You should be using your DoT, Aero, on enemies as well.

However, conjurer turns into white mage when you hit level 30 and do a quest, so you'll be doing a lot of healing and won't have a lot of damage options(healers are expected to do damage though) in terms of variety.

You will unlock more useful tools as you level though, such as regen, benediction(fully heal any one person regardless of their hp) and aoe healing/regen options as well

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I went on a similar journey and burnt myself out around where you currently are. People in the OT and on Discord were nice, but it felt overwhelming to catch up and I had to do 100s of hours to do the content everyone else was doing. I said I'd be back during free weeks for lapsed players, but I had no motivation to do so.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I went on a similar journey and burnt myself out around where you currently are. People in the OT and on Discord were nice, but it felt overwhelming to catch up and I had to do 100s of hours to do the content everyone else was doing. I said I'd be back during free weeks for lapsed players, but I had no motivation to do so.
I think the key to this is being able to enjoy the game at your pace and not feeling like you need to catch up to everyone else. This is the same reason I don't do progression raids (not that I'm even good enough to qualify haha) or rush to do content on day 1 of a new patch. I enjoy it most when I'm just doing my own thing. If you come back to it at some point, forget about endgame or what other people are doing, just do the story quests and see where it goes. The story and characters are the real meat of the game anyhow.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Just completed the Doma Castle questline myself this morning. Super late to the train, but I'm enjoying myself. Really like SB so far and I love all the Asia-inspired landscapes, cities and monsters.

What Data center are you all on? I play alone, but I wouldn't mind running some Dungeons with Era players. I'm on Primal

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Getting into this game late and making a "LTTP: Ya'll Were Right, This Game Fucking Rocks" thread seems to be an Era rite of passage.

I approve.
I didn't make a thread, but guilty. I played for a month at the launch of ARR and decided not to stick with it until a friend spent quite a bit of effort convincing me to give it another try right before ShB came out. I have played literally every single day since and have had such an incredible experience with the game that I never could have even imagined before I started.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Just completed the Doma Castle questline myself this morning. Super late to the train, but I'm enjoying myself. Really like SB so far and I love all the Asia-inspired landscapes, cities and monsters.

What Data center are you all on? I play alone, but I wouldn't mind running some Dungeons with Era players. I'm on Primal
A lot of us are also on Primal, though for the most part people just talk about it in the OT or discords. If you're on Ultros you can join the Era FC.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Question to those that finished Heavensward, are the expansion quests better than the base expansion? I think I finished the base expansion and just started with the quest after that. Found the base expansion alright but not something I'd invest time in again. So yeah, does it get better from that point on?
I'd say it does, but I also enjoyed HW's story to begin with.

The story for it wraps up in the 3.3 quests and starts building towards Stormblood after that.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Glad to have you on board, warrior of light!

Shadowbringers is not only the best expansion but probably the best FF story, and the ride doesn't end at 5.0!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
ShB will probably make you cry.

OP, when you have some downtime, go do the ARR 24-man raids, they're important for Shadowbringers and the game forces you to do them before you can do 5.3 quests, but it's best if you do them now.

All of the 24/8 man content is worth pausing your main story quest to do, so don't forget about them.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ShB will probably make you cry.

OP, when you have some downtime, go do the ARR 24-man raids, they're important for Shadowbringers and the game forces you to do them before you can do 5.3 quests, but it's best if you do them now.

All of the 24/8 man content is worth pausing your main story quest to do, so don't forget about them.
I think when the update released it forced you to go do the raids immediately if you were past the point it was added into the MSQ.

Might be wrong though, as I had already done them prior to them being mandatory.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think when the update released it forced you to go do the raids immediately if you were past the point it was added into the MSQ.

Might be wrong though, as I had already done them prior to them being mandatory.

Yeah I meant that, it's just that while it's necessary to understand 5.3, it also enhances the base ShB story.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I meant that, it's just that while it's necessary to understand 5.3, it also enhances the base ShB story.
Oh, I meant that the game was literally like "What are you doing right now? Fuck that, get your ass to Mor Dhona. No more MSQ until you've had your Crystal Tower" for anyone that had progressed beyond 2.55 without having cleared that series of raids once 5.3 dropped, since they wedged it in to the story just before you go to Ul'dah at the end of 2.55.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I have a question: years ago, had a pc account for ARR. I'm considering getting the complete edition for ps5, can I do it from the console itself, do I need the PC, or does it use psn ID? I don't want to buy it if it'll be somewhat locked to my pc.
Btw, how the hell do you play with a controller?

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting this OP. I started playing a few months ago and got through ARR but fell off during the quests between ARR and Heavensward. It just felt really tedious, especially when I had new PS5 games competing for my attention. I was already planning to start up again but this thread is motivating me even more.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for posting this OP. I started playing a few months ago and got through ARR but fell off during the quests between ARR and Heavensward. It just felt really tedious, especially when I had new PS5 games competing for my attention. I was already planning to start up again but this thread is motivating me even more.
So you play on ps5? Is it good performing? Good control?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I have a question: years ago, had a pc account for ARR. I'm considering getting the complete edition for ps5, can I do it from the console itself, do I need the PC, or does it use psn ID? I don't want to buy it if it'll be somewhat locked to my pc.
Btw, how the hell do you play with a controller?
You can do it from the console itself.
It needs an XIV account. You can either link your PSN account to your old, existing account or make a new one.
Controller works via holding down the triggers to access hotbars, you can use a KB&M on PS5 if you want though

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
You can do it from the console itself.
It needs an XIV account. You can either link your PSN account to your old, existing account or make a new one.
Controller works via holding down the triggers to access hotbars, you can use a KB&M on PS5 if you want though
And is it comfy? All communication is via pre-set messages?

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I meant that the game was literally like "What are you doing right now? Fuck that, get your ass to Mor Dhona. No more MSQ until you've had your Crystal Tower" for anyone that had progressed beyond 2.55 without having cleared that series of raids once 5.3 dropped, since they wedged it in to the story just before you go to Ul'dah at the end of 2.55.
It didn't do that. I hadn't done them, just finished up Stormblood this week, and decided to go back and do them on my own. Unless you're saying it paused at the 5.3 content.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Thanks! My last question: would you recommend it? Is performance good enough?
XIV in general: yes

PS5 version specifically: I don't have a PS5, but I know it runs at 1440p checkerboard upscaled to 4K and 60fps, which is good enough imo. It'll probably also run even better when the native PS5 version comes out, this is just the PS4 (Pro) version via back compat

How attached are you to your old PC account/character(s)? The free trial for new accounts is like half the game now (through Heavensward) with no time limit, if I were you, I'd just make a new account. You'd be able to see how the PS5 version plays for yourself without spending a penny

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime I am about to jump back in, I remember that I am nearly 14 levels behind where I need to be to start Heavensward main quests. Having level caps to start missions really stnks.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
XIV in general: yes

PS5 version specifically: I don't have a PS5, but I know it runs at 1440p checkerboard upscaled to 4K and 60fps, which is good enough imo. It'll probably also run even better when the native PS5 version comes out, this is just the PS4 (Pro) version via back compat

How attached are you to your old PC account/character(s)? The free trial for new accounts is like half the game now (through Heavensward) with no time limit, if I were you, I'd just make a new account
That is some sound advice, thanks! I didn't play a lot on my pc, my old laptop couldn't run it well, it seemed very cool but ARR was full of sloooow fetch quests iirc.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
That is some sound advice, thanks! I didn't play a lot on my pc, my old laptop couldn't run it well, it seemed very cool but ARR was full of sloooow fetch quests iirc.
They recently revamped ARR a few months back. They out like a fifth of the quests from 2.0-2.55 and shortened many more. It'll still feel a bit slow, but hopefully significantly less so.

u9q2x5mhzeg51.jpg

(This is just removed quests, not counting any shorted quests)

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has almost all classes at 80 I gotta admit, the story quality in some sections has actually made it really hard for me to pay attention to it anymore. I did my best through ARR but started skipping a lot. Part way into HW I got invested again and loved that, but SB pulled me right back out again. I really liked the raid storylines for SB though. I've ended up skipping almost all of ShB again now, though I know there's a good story.

The varying quality and sheer length of the story ends up making it hard for me to focus on all of it. That said, I watch all voiced scenes so if it was all voiced I probably would have watched it all.

Games still amazing and I can't wait to resub when the decorations are out of the way tomorrow, just something about the writing feels very long winded much of the time and I really just want to push on with the gameplay a bit quicker most of the time

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Do bear in mind if you buy the complete edition and apply the game key it ceases to be a free trial meaning you'll get 30 days free for having bought the complete edition and you'll be expected to sub after that runs out. There are limits to communications (to discourage gold seller/RMT organizations) with a free trial (can't send PMs but can chat in the general chat channel and similar restrictions)

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't do that. I hadn't done them, just finished up Stormblood this week, and decided to go back and do them on my own. Unless you're saying it paused at the 5.3 content.
Ah, that's my mistake then.
Everytime I am about to jump back in, I remember that I am nearly 14 levels behind where I need to be to start Heavensward main quests. Having level caps to start missions really stnks.
Do you mean that you have a character that is level 36? Because you can't just start HW when you hit 50, you need to progress the main story to that point. You'll hit 50 around the time you finish the ARR 2.0 quests, but you'll still need to do all the patch quests that released in between ARR and HW.