• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
just finished! well, the main, pre-patch realm reborn story, & all side stories, anyway. short of them shutting down the servers, i'm pretty sure, at this point, that there's actually no real way to ever truly be finished with final fantasy xiv...

& so glad i finally checked it out! as a non-mmo, single-player gamer, it's an incredibly accessible adventure, with an extremely open & friendly community. afa the dungeons go, i never waited more than 10-12 minutes using the duty finder (that's as a dps - my character's a ninja), & fates are plentiful, & dumb fun. afa everything else goes, i felt like a was playing some kind of dozen year old, forgotten classic: eorzea's gorgeous (in a very souped-up final fantasy xii / ivalice kind of way), huge, varied, & loaded to the brim with stuff to do: tons of side quests, multiple crafting trades, mini games (like triple triad), & even a refurbished gold saucer...

as someone who was very disappointed in persona 5, & had no interest whatsoever in either final fantasy xv's children of privilege road trip, or dragon quest xi's nostalgia-on-steroids, i'd say final fantasy xiv is easily, for me, the best jrpg i've played this generation. it's atmosphere nails what i feel's the unique spirit of classic final fantasy. if you've ever even mildly considered jumping in? do it! it's a genuinely time-warping, magical experience...

oh, & afa monthly fees? i still have 4 days left on my free introductory month. so, yeah, don't let that stop you, either...

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my favourite single player FF since X. Yes ARR. and of course it only gets better with Heavensward and Shadowbringers.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rest enjoying it, although I'm a little disappointed with a few story related stuff that was revealed during Heavensward for me

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Currently taking the long road, playing from ARR to mid Stormblood and It is easily the best MMORPG I've played.

But I still don't agree with people saying it's the best jrpg either. Not by a long shot. I would say it's better than the jrpgs currently on the market though, P5 was like a bad joke to me after P4.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Heavensward is going to be much better and still remains my favourite expansion. It's basically the spiritual successor of FFXII for me: the main writer of ARR and Heavensward worked on FFT/FF12 and Vagrant Story alongside Matsuno and you could feel the influence everywhere. Great story centering around politics and class struggle to show humanity at its worst but also best.

GeezyAF

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
I adore this game as a whole, it's very good. Go on to the next expansion!

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
The expansions only get better, enjoy! The story, characters, and music are outstanding. The actual playable stuff like dungeons and trials also improve dramatically. The gameplay rocks too at higher levels.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Congrats! The best parts of FFXIV are still ahead of you!

FFXIV has eaten up an inordinate amount of my gaming time since ARR launched, but I don't regret it. The game is just fantastic. If you plan on sticking around though, I highly recommend finding an FC. Playing with friends is the best.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite FF at this point.

Not something I thought I would ever say about an MMO.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
& had no interest whatsoever in either final fantasy xv's children of privilege road trip, or dragon quest xi's nostalgia-on-steroids,
While I appreciate more people spending time in XIV a game I have already spent an ungodly amount of time in. Statements like these makes it seem like you missed on two very good video games based on bad preconceived notions and I urge if you haven't to give both of those games a try. FFXV is more about friendship and sacrifice, and Dragon Quest is just one of the best more traditional JRPG's released in a hot minute. And to boil those two down to " Not woke enough " and " Looks too old " is doing this a massive disservice

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you loved it

To all those anti sub/mmo people who keep using it as an excuse not to play the best jrpg of the decade:

You can breeze through the story in your free month. It's not some impenetrable monolith you have to spend months trying to crack into. It's super single player friendly and all the expansions come with the latest one. Also, YOU DONT HAVE TO STAY SUBBED continuously. Slow month on game releases? Tackle the next arc of story content and unsub when something else comes along. There are numerous players who simply sub 3 months out of the year for new patch releases and are completely satisfied. You have a ridiculous amount of content at your finger tips and never spend more than you would for a special edition of some new game.

Any person who considers themselves a JRPG fan owes it to themselves to play these stories

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finished ARR just the other day as well. Really love the game and I'm so damn mad that I've put it off for so long. The community,as you say, is also super welcoming and supportive.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Keep going op! Heavensward's SO GOOD..if you could finish the story in a month and unsub.it's like $15 for the greatest single player FF in a decade..

(but don't stop there either) im on stormblood right now (also very good) and I hear shadowbringer is even better.

I'm also a single player FF fan...very disappointed with FF13 and especially 15 :(

Hope 16 could be back on track...

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
HW is way, way WAY better than ARR. Stormblood is middling so far, but I'm very excited to get to Shadowbringers, which some say is the best FF story in the entire series. Hype!

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Wait so they added the patch to make Realm Reborn easier right?

because I heard about this months ago when I got Shadowbringers and I purposely didn't dive into the game back then because of it.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because if you've enjoyed it now.... Oh boy you ain't see nothing yet. Shadow bringers is one of the greatest jrpg stories period

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so they added the patch to make Realm Reborn easier right?

because I heard about this months ago when I got Shadowbringers and I purposely didn't dive into the game back then because of it.
I don't think so yet. I'm holding off for that too.

EDIT: Yep they're aiming for patch 5.3 which should be due in mid summer.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Getting fully into this game was one of the best decisions I have made in gaming. It truly is great.

Oct 25, 2017
I've found ARR incredibly dull with bad writing and I'm nearing the end, but I'm in for everything after that's supposedly very good. It's a good podcast game for now at least.

SirRugdumph

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped in last spring and haven't looked back.

ARR is, imo, the worst part of the main story. It's not bad, but it didn't really grab me at all. Heavensward is phenomenal though, and the game has had its hooks in me ever since. Stormblood was solid, and the early bits of Shadowbringers I've done have been very, very promising.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I finished 2.0 About 2 weeks back with the only thing keeping me going was repeatedly being told HW is where the game gets good but i got burned out after realizing the quests were the same thing ....go kill 3 of these go talk to to this person..go get a letter ...i couldn't do it. I still have like 10 days left ? On my entry month or w.e but yeahhhhhhhhhhhh its a shame.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
The patch to trim the post-ARR questline is planned for 5.3.

Even if it has already been said, doesn't hurt to repeat it.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Grats OP. While 2.0 is great.. it's also easily the weakest story arc. The expansions take it to FAR greater heights.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I loved it as well, played up to halfway through Heavensward and just burned out. The story was good but there's only so many fetch quests one can do. I've gone back a couple time to try and keep playing and I'll progress well for five hours or so, then get to a point where I need to grind up a couple levels to progress through story quests and I lose interest.