• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
It's my GOTY, as it made me the most happy. The game is goofy AF, but so was the original. The combat is my favourite out of any JRPG and the music is f i r e. While the game definitely has padding, I didn't care because the combat was so fun.(much like how people like to complain about Mario Odyssey's moons, the joy of playing the game was enough to keep me going).

Also, the ending has made me very excited for what's to come.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You found 5 points in favour of a game you consider "utter trash" and "utter bullshit", two of them being the excellent gameplay and the visuals of the game... Wow, usually when something is trash, it's just trash all around. But I guess you're afraid no one would talk to you so you went with that title.
This forum never gets old.
You people and your attention seeking titles.
When discussing your criticisms of media on the internet it's important that you frame everything you don't like as "TRASH" because that makes your opinion the one true opinion.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
But shit like the whole climbing of the tower before the plate falls? Or the Graveyard (a boss too long, really)? Genuinely kills the sense of urgency and tragedy with the amount of padding and the unnecessary, awkward and long scenes.

This was the point where I dropped it. They just annihilated the pacing, especially of that section. There's such a great level of tension at that segment in the OG, and them adding all the extra stuff, unnecessary Aerith scene, Jesse's drawn out death... Especially that, the party is trying to stop a bunch of people dying, but Cloud has to stop to have a heart-to-heart with his not-girlfriend?

I don't think I appreciated how well paced FF7 is until I played FF7R. Going back and replaying midgar after abandoning the remake, it really steps on the gas once you get to the plate attack, and doesn't let up until you're out of the city.

Which is another thing that disappoints me with how they went about it: I feel like getting out of Midgar is such a cool moment not just because of the immediate resoution you get, but also the feeling of being on the world map, the upbeat music, and literally walking out of the shadow of the city (seriously, they darken the game when you're within a certain distance of Midgar). Having the game open up, and being able to immediately play

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
One of my games of the generation tbh. Can't say I really agree with many of your criticisms.

It's too bad you didn't enjoy it tho! Bummer.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the quests and padding because it got me to engage with the combat a lot more, which for as much as I loved the original its system wasn't really one that made me look forward to the next encounter. I didn't mind that the side quests story themselves were lackluster because there were a few mobs and battle scenarios that were unique tied to them. I do hope they do a much better job next time around of representing Barrett and the female cast. There is no need to lean into racist stereotypes for the former or for women to be so manic (Jessie) here.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Isn't Chapter 19 the one where you have the puzzle thing going on and have to switch back and forth between teams? I thought that part was amazing. I loved the visuals too and had the best boss battle (JENOVA).

I didn't like the last chapter as much though, not because of the plot twist, but because it felt underdeveloped. I got the platinum for it and loved my time with it (90+ hours). Can't wait for part 2!

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird and bloated as hell, but I really enjoyed it overall.

Because it's a PS1/PS2 video game at heart. And they didn't touch on that aspect.

It's not The Last of Us or God of War or whatever. Yes, the characters fight kid ghosts while their friends are in danger. Oh no, what an awful game for making me enjoy this battle system some more and fight a cool boss.

Why can't this game be a MOVIE like all the rest nowadays???

The fact that the characters look more realistic doesn't mean the game shouldn't have that charming jank from the previous eras.

Someone said the game has 20 (TWENTY) hours of padding. I don't even feel like looking for the post to quote it.

TWENTY

I've heard of hot takes and hyperbole but come on.

Sometimes I feel like a lot of people shitting on this game haven't played it at all.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
I liked it, but I did hate the summons role during gameplay. They were really useless and had no repercussion. I also hated that they used that "theme" against "you know who", they should have keep it for the final part and arc. But beside that I think it is a good game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game was okayish. Loved Tifa and Aerith in this remake, but all those ladders and forced walking parts really annoyed me. Also two entire arcs that aren't meaningful at all. Game is padded, but they did a good job with that if you know what they had to work with to end the game at a certain point. Could have been even worse.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
This was the point where I dropped it. They just annihilated the pacing, especially of that section. There's such a great level of tension at that segment in the OG, and them adding all the extra stuff, unnecessary Aerith scene, Jesse's drawn out death... Especially that, the party is trying to stop a bunch of people dying, but Cloud has to stop to have a heart-to-heart with his not-girlfriend?

I don't think I appreciated how well paced FF7 is until I played FF7R. Going back and replaying midgar after abandoning the remake, it really steps on the gas once you get to the plate attack, and doesn't let up until you're out of the city.

Which is another thing that disappoints me with how they went about it: I feel like getting out of Midgar is such a cool moment not just because of the immediate resoution you get, but also the feeling of being on the world map, the upbeat music, and literally walking out of the shadow of the city (seriously, they darken the game when you're within a certain distance of Midgar). Having the game open up, and being able to immediately play

Nailed it

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's not The Last of Us or God of War or whatever. Yes, the characters fight kid ghosts while their friends are in danger. Oh no, what an awful game for making me enjoy this battle system some more and fight a cool boss.
I ultimately did not enjoy the battle system, so the many segments added as long detours of only combat did not help the feeling of the pacing.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
It's easy GOTY material
...said nobody.

I was baffled to see this game got so many nominations in the Videogame Awards.

Too long, streched, stupid unnecessary changes, too easy, plot is all over the place etc. Music was good as well as the character models. Battle system was ok, but original was better.

Overall, total disappointment and made me go from "day 1" to "wait for sales" for the sequels.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP, though I don't have the nostalgia for FFVII many do. The only positive memories I have of it were the interlude with the Don and fighting a literal house in full HD. Everything else was tedious, boring, or frustrating.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
...said nobody.

I was baffled to see this game got so many nominations in the Videogame Awards.

Too long, streched, stupid unnecessary changes, too easy, plot is all over the place etc. Music was good as well as the character models. Battle system was ok, but original was better.

Overall, total disappointment and made me go from "day 1" to "wait for sales" for the sequels.
One of the best action RPG battle systems ever and that godly soundtrack are all I need to say it's my favorite game of the year.

It's got some pacing problems, sure, but that doesn't take much away from a fantastic experience.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but didn't think it was great.

Awesome combat but you rarely have to engage with it because the majority of the encounters are lacking any challenge and don't require you to utilise most of the systems in place.

Level design is serviceable but lots of areas are HEAVILY padded with an obnoxious amount of forced slow walking and crawl spaces. The sewer is maybe the worst culprit and the second visit is rubbing salt in the wound.

Soundtrack is incredible, visuals are gorgeous at times and there are some really well designed bosses. I really like the story changes as well, way more interesting than just following the original exactly.

I think the next part has the potential to be incredible if they improve on some of the weaker areas.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Well you are the main character of the game. What else you could say even?
I get it but as a die hard fan I could have taken the OP route.

The game has some few pacing issues in certain parts but the overall package is fantastic and the combat system is incredible if you actually learn it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
imo it has one superb fight which is the Airbuster fight, that is the one part of the game where it absolutely nailed what I wanted from a FFVII remake. They really nailed both the combat and fight design

It never reached that level again for me, I'm pretty optimistic tho that with the foundation they built they will do a really good job with the sequel. Especially if it looks to be
telling a completely different story to the original game
, therefore likely to not suffer the same design and pacing issues as this game.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you OP in certain aspects, I hate most of it but like some parts. The game is an over indulgent mess. The combat is broken, and halfway to being good. It has some great characterisation moments. It is just full of dull corridors where not much happens. They don't seem to understand drama or pacing or tone they just ruin entire scenes with anime bullshit, like the presidents death, it was worse in every aspect. It's sad to me that they turned such a great game into this. I can't see the other games being much better to be honest.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty cool with it up until Shinra tower. Several key things there were pretty botched imo.

The combat I liked in a "I can't stand action RPGs but this is the best they can do I suppose" kinda way. I fear that in future installments they will want to "mix it up" a bit and ruin it. Outside of the summon mechanic (which is rubbish) I rather they leave it alone.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Okay just finished it and I standby how I feel about it. The ending itself.... Is something. Unfortunately, everything before it made me check out, so it didn't matter. Though, I know some out there were really offended by it. It's the least of the game's problems.

Fuck I'm exhausted...

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't care for it.

Masturbatory bullshit.

These idiots have no idea how to do proper escalation.

I just killed like. . .the concept of fate. In the first game.

Like are we going to give a crap about things like the Midgar Zolom come the second one?

And they can't even just skip it because the next part is the part where you get to play Sephiroth. Speaking of which why should I even give a shit about that, I just kicked his ass in the first game. Usually you want a game to show, not tell, but this game showed too damn much.

And why didn't that depiction of Barrett get blasted. That shit was embarrassing when it came out and more embarrassing now. He did not seem like someone anyone would follow and was treated like a dumb kid or mascot character half the time.

I am of the opinion that most of these writers are trying to get into the shonen anime game and out of the video game industry, because they certainly write that way.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
I'd like to chime in that I find it absurd people play games for stories. I find 90% of video game stories to be, well I won't call them trash, but just tripe, derivative, sterile nonsense in order to service the gameplay/levels.

The few 'great' video game stories, are merely okay in my opinion. That includes series like MGS, Half-Life, Uncharted, and TLOU -- merely B+ story telling mostly. Never as engaging, believable, or properly paced as an actual movie.

The best video game stories are the ones without stories, like Inside, Flower, Journey, Portal, etc.

I really just can't relate to gamers who base so much of their opinion on the story. If the gameplay, graphics, and music are great -- hardly trash!

This is a very strange post. Games can strive in many aspects and arts, ridiculing people for valuing a story is nonsense.

Your taste isn't the arbiter of quality. You're doing yourself a disservice with your narrow viewpoint on people and what they should / shouldn't enjoy.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I like it alot and i can't understand how ppl don't like it....that's why those who don't share my opinion should feel bad about themselves.

#opinions

#nobodycaresaboutmyopinions

#andyours

/s

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I totally disagree that this game says nothing meaningful. It is a game about contending with the legacy of one of if not the most popular RPGs of all time. It is explicitly about living under the shadow of a previously told story and trying to do justice to characters that people, creators included, love. Every aspect of the script and story is part of this...

so: it's a game about itself? well, while you & others might find this excercise fascinating, there are, on the other hand, those of us who find it to be, as the op mentions, basically nothing more than 'indulgent, masturbatory nonsense'. & i'm not sure either view really has any more validity than the other - it's purely subjective...

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Even if you think most videogames have mediocre or straight-up bad stories/writing and even the most acclaimed ones are, on average, considerably worse than what you'd find among the greatest films (I most definitely do), why woudn't you care about that?

It's a big an element as any other considering most AAA games nowadays are narrative-driven and place great emphasis on that, regardless of the ultimate quality.

Like, you can find tons of fun stories and characters in games all the same, even if they don't reach the levels of the most acclaimed films (and videogames have the characteristic of being more interactive and longer than films, so chances are you're going to have a bigger connection to them even when the plot is only serviceable).

And of course FF VII Remake's story will be judged when the whole game is moved through it and it's constantly in your face what with visual storytelling, real-time dialogue and, of course, the hours upon hours of cutscenes. It's a part of the game as big as its combat or its exploration, so it's only fair that you can be dissapointed by it. Especially since the original frame of reference (OG FF VII) has a story that, while still not amazing or exemplary, is really beloved and has tons of very interesting ideas, events and characters.

By that rule, you couldn't possibly complain about the stories in most superhero movies, shonen manga or whatever. To enjoy a story you don't have to receive only the most exquisite, groundbreaking stuff.
so: it's a game about itself? well, while your & others might find this excercise fascinating, there are, on the other hand, those of us who find it to be, as the op mentions, basically nothing more than 'indulgent, masturbatory nonsense'. & i'm not sure either view really has any more validity than the other - it's purely subjective...
While I generally agree about the fact that this reeks to "look at how cute we are" (even though this is a trope that we can find in other media, so it's not new or unique), my biggest gripe is the concept of fate itself, the incredibly sloppy execution and the potential ramifications.

I really don't need this to become a series filled to the brim with fanservice to make people happy about characters they want to be alive. I don't need a reunion, or characters that are way more important and prevalent that they need to be.

The biggest thing, though? I'd be way more at ease with these potential changes if the whole ghost plot hadn't polluted the entire game. You don't need them to pull metacommentary on how you're going to change things, it's wholly unneeded. In fact, I'd argue it'd be more shocking (if that's the intent) to have the big diversions post-Midgar be totally unexpected.

Of course, though, there's the big chance that they just want to give people hope and they will pull the trigger on certain events anyways, just differently. Which doesn't make this all much better, it'd just be unnecessarily convoluted and annoying as the pacing and general tone of the first game would already be tainted by the Fates.

It all comes down to restraint, really. I think FF VII Remake is a wonderful game, but it severely lacks it when it matters the most. Still, I'll be ecstatic when they first show the next game. And I can't deny I'm very curious to see what they'll do, so I guess they won in that regard even with me.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to chime in that I find it absurd people play games for stories. I find 90% of video game stories to be, well I won't call them trash, but just tripe, derivative, sterile nonsense in order to service the gameplay/levels.

The few 'great' video game stories, are merely okay in my opinion. That includes series like MGS, Half-Life, Uncharted, and TLOU -- merely B+ story telling mostly. Never as engaging, believable, or properly paced as an actual movie.

The best video game stories are the ones without stories, like Inside, Flower, Journey, Portal, etc.

I really just can't relate to gamers who base so much of their opinion on the story. If the gameplay, graphics, and music are great -- hardly trash!
Okay, what?

You putting Uncharted as an example of a "great" video game story, while deriding the entire medium, is flat out embarrassing. You might as well point to Transformers: Dark of the Moon and say that movies have awful stories compared to novels.

Go play the Legacy of Kain series, or Baldur's Gate, or Outer Wilds, or 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, or Disco Elysium, or 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, or Ghost Trick, or What Remains of Edith Finch, or jesus christ I could name ninety games off the top of my head. Come on, dude.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"I got to the end of the game, put the controller down and walked away" sure is some harsh criticism lol.

Apr 21, 2018
Okay, what?

You putting Uncharted as an example of a "great" video game story, while deriding the entire medium, is flat out embarrassing. You might as well point to Transformers: Dark of the Moon and say that movies have awful stories compared to novels.

Go play the Legacy of Kain series, or Baldur's Gate, or Outer Wilds, or 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, or Disco Elysium, or 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, or Ghost Trick, or What Remains of Edith Finch, or jesus christ I could name ninety games off the top of my head. Come on, dude.

I thought Uncharted was seen as a top contender for video game stories/cutscenes/voice work?

I wasn't deriding the entire medium, moreso reflecting on my inability to relate to people who weigh the storyline/cutscenes so heavily in their enjoyment of a video game. People who dismiss a great game because of bad story (like the OP, or arguably the issue a lot of ppl have with TLOU2).

Also, I've only played Outer Wilds and Ghost Trick on your list (both amazing), but I would say both have their story interwoven into the fabric of the gameplay, which is why I enjoy them so much. Same with games like Phoenix Wright, which are basically playable graphic novels. If those games had bad stories, that would also reflect in the gameplay being bad (more or less). I've yet to play a video game with traditional cutscenes that could match the best movies, and the few that came close, were few and far between. But perhaps I'm moving the goalpost on my story-in-games criticism with the 'traditional cutscenes' bit.

All I'm saying is I find dismissing an entire video game because of its story, especially when the gameplay/presentation is fantastic, to be short-sited and something I don't understand or relate to.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Uncharted was seen as a top contender for video game stories/cutscenes/voice work?

I wasn't deriding the entire medium, moreso reflecting on my inability to relate to people who weigh the storyline/cutscenes so heavily in their enjoyment of a video game. People who dismiss a great game because of bad story (like the OP, or arguably the issue a lot of ppl have with TLOU2).

Also, I've only played Outer Wilds and Ghost Trick on your list (both amazing), but I would say both have their story interwoven into the fabric of the gameplay, which is why I enjoy them so much. Same with games like Phoenix Wright, which are basically playable graphic novels. If those games had bad stories, that would also reflect in the gameplay being bad (more or less). I've yet to play a video game with traditional cutscenes that could match the best movies, and the few that came close, were few and far between. But perhaps I'm moving the goalpost on my story-in-games criticism with the 'traditional cutscenes' bit.

All I'm saying is I find dismissing an entire video game because of its story, especially when the gameplay/presentation is fantastic, to be short-sited and something I don't understand or relate to.
Uncharted is a middling action schlock adventure with extremely high production values. It has no real merit as a "great story". It's popular. That's it.

And yes, there's no reason why a good video game narrative wouldn't be interwoven into gameplay? Why wouldn't we want that? 999 has an incredible moment that would be literally impossible to capture without the interactive nature of the medium. It's special. Many other games do the same thing. As you say, holding the goalposts at "traditional cutscenes" is a disservice to the medium and not a fair comparison point.

However, I do agree with you that it is somewhat wild to completely dismiss a game's value over narrative concerns.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with everything in your post, but the pacing and length really keeps it from being great. The game is straight up boring at times because nothing is happening. So. Much. Filler. It would've been such an amazing game had it been at least 10 hours shorter. I'm pretty sure every other FF tells their entire story in like 25 hours. This game had no business being 40.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like everything Wall Market should be

Lol. Let's hit Wynwood down here in Miami and you'll find dozens of people that'd make Jessie blush in little over an hour. Yes, real people definitely do act the way Jessie does
I've been to Wynwood quite often. Idk where you're going but I've never seen a Jessie and I'm glad lol. She's not awful but just gets kinda old.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I totally disagree that this game says nothing meaningful. It is a game about contending with the legacy of one of if not the most popular RPGs of all time. It is explicitly about living under the shadow of a previously told story and trying to do justice to characters that people, creators included, love. Every aspect of the script and story is part of this.

While I do not love the presentation of Chapter 19, I think it delivers on some of the more thematically clear aspects of the game: that these are characters people are seeing after 20 years and they deserve a fighting chance at something different, despite the cries of legacy fans. This is a culmination of everything FF7 and the people that brought it this far -- fans, creators, collaborators. Nothing is left undiscussed.

It is explicitly about undoing the original. It is a game about remaking FF7. It is a sequel, not a remake.

This is wildly ambitious and interesting storytelling. I am in for the rest.
You make it sound good, but I have a feeling the new story is going be resolve around
the chracters having to let Aerith die, in order to protect the timeline.
Which would be crap IMO, I've seen that plot many times before.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound good, but I have a feeling the new story is going be resolve around
the chracters having to let Aerith die, in order to protect the timeline.
Which would be crap IMO, I've seen that plot many times before.

Or it could become FFXIII but good. A story about defying fate.

Honestly we don't know whats gonna happen, that's what exciting. They claim they won't stray too far from the original story, but I'm not convinced. I'd like it to be as close the original plot as possible while still having surprises along the way.

Yes I can see the potential scenario you lay out, but I don't think that's a bad thing either. The whole
sacrificing oneself to preserve a timelines
can be done right even if it's a bit cliche.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I totally disagree that this game says nothing meaningful. It is a game about contending with the legacy of one of if not the most popular RPGs of all time. It is explicitly about living under the shadow of a previously told story and trying to do justice to characters that people, creators included, love. Every aspect of the script and story is part of this.

While I do not love the presentation of Chapter 19, I think it delivers on some of the more thematically clear aspects of the game: that these are characters people are seeing after 20 years and they deserve a fighting chance at something different, despite the cries of legacy fans. This is a culmination of everything FF7 and the people that brought it this far -- fans, creators, collaborators. Nothing is left undiscussed.

It is explicitly about undoing the original. It is a game about remaking FF7. It is a sequel, not a remake.

This is wildly ambitious and interesting storytelling. I am in for the rest.

Exactly, there's a sort of 4th wall breaking meta-narrative going on about what FF7 is, what it can be, and what that means to the fandom. Carefully tearing down the games expectations and building something new - both for the characters and for the community - under the guise of a remake which is actually a sequel. Agreed, it is unbelievably creative and has a TON to say.

But... if you aren't a hardcore fan of the original who has been following the Remake saga through the years, then it's not going to hit the same way.

Frankly even if you are a hardcore fan it's pretty easy to miss. Only after I listened to a podcast with Maximillian and Easy Allies after completing the game did it really come together. That podcast should be recommended listening to everyone postgame. My mind got blown clear out.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same pros and cons as you OP, though I weight the pros more heavily.

The combat, the graphics, and most of the story are excellent. But the side missions and the changes they made to the story are utter dogshit.

The problem is that the devs got hung up on the idea that they needed "surprise" back in the story. They assumed the fact that everyone has played the original and knows how the story goes meant they needed to make changes.

But just because you know a story doesn't mean you don't enjoy having it retold. In fact, it's the mark of a great story that it stands up to many repeat tellings, and only gets better even when you know how it's going to go.

And so in the process of pursuing that "surprise" they made an absolute mash of the game's narrative—mostly at the end—that only makes a lick of sense if you've played not only the original game, but also played Crisis Core and watched Advent Children and consumed various other FFVII-related media. Utterly ignoring the fact that this game would be many current and future players' first introduction to the story.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly we don't know whats gonna happen, that's what exciting. They claim they won't stray too far from the original story, but I'm not convinced. I'd like it to be as close the original plot as possible while still having surprises along the way.

Yes I can see the potential scenario you lay out, but I don't think that's a bad thing either. The whole
The song Hollow seems to foreshadow Cloud has to accept what he can't change. It wouldn't be a metacommentary on remakes then or a "boundless" new story, it would be a generic time travel story about restoring the key point in the timeline, and I wouldn't find that story very emotional compared to the original.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

Exactly, that's why this is so great.

Everyone knows Aerith dies in the original. This is not a spoiler. The fact that we genuinely don't know if she will die again in the sequel is the perfect way to add weight and gravity to the situation again. Everyone heading to the Temple of the Ancients is going to be riddled with anxiety. We are going to either be crushed again, or we're going to have our minds blown.

It's another example of how this is not simply a remake of a game, it's also a remake of the experience of the original.

Jun 1, 2019
I agree with the op on all points except for the combat, I thought it was fun at first and it's very flashy, but after 10 hours or so it didn't engage me much. Agree heavily on the point about Barrett though, it was nice coming here a while back to voice concerns about him, then being told I was the one with the issue for finding fault in his character -_-

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone knows Aerith dies in the original. This is not a spoiler. The fact that we genuinely don't know if she will die again in the sequel is the perfect way to add weight and gravity to the situation again. Everyone heading to the Temple of the Ancients is going to be riddled with anxiety. We are going to either be crushed again, or we're going to have our minds blown.

It's another example of how this is not simply a remake of a game, it's also a remake of the experience of the original.
This is off the mark imo, I think TV tropes called it arc fatique.
When you start going, "will she live, will she die?" Then I end up being bored, by the time the scene unfolds, and it loses the emotional impact.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Well told stories don't need to be changed into lesser stories to make them worth retelling. Well told stories flourish in retellings, even when everyone present knows how they are going to go, because they are well told stories. Enjoying a story isn't all about being surprised by it, which is the trap S-E fell into in writing this game's story.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
so: it's a game about itself? well, while you & others might find this excercise fascinating, there are, on the other hand, those of us who find it to be, as the op mentions, basically nothing more than 'indulgent, masturbatory nonsense'. & i'm not sure either view really has any more validity than the other - it's purely subjective...
I would not say it is a game strictly about itself. It is a game about following up on a legacy.

I also never said it wasn't subjective, and never said it wasn't self indulgent. Just that I disagreed that it lacked meaning. It's clearly a very personal project for the people, and company, that made it -- the very reason why it indulged so much.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion...me I heavily disagree with all that tho lol. It's one of my top 3 games this year.

I'd say the only issue I had was how Barrett was portrayed. Shit annoyed me. I'd take him being the silent black badass than how he was portrayed in this game most times.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

im sorry but i disagree, you can easily recreate tensions in those scenes without going through this roundabout way of writing fate into this. i mean, it's a bloody remake! you have a canvas to do whatever you want, and this is what you do with it? wasted potential imo