• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been hugely nostalgic for the original FFVII. My "moments" with the franchise were with IV and VI.
That being said, I did finish it when it came out originally and do have some fond memories.

Remake is utter bullshit

Like, it's so bad at what it sets out to do that it could be considered fascinating if not for the fact that it's 30 hours too long. I got up to Ch.18 and had to put the controller down, literally, and walk away.

I'll keep it brief...

Pros
- Excellent combat system, though the amount of staggering/stun locking is borderline absurd.
- Insane visual fidelity in the opening and closing sections
- Some fantastic music at times
- They really nailed Cloud's VA/performance. Like, its better than it has any right to be.
- Jessie

And on to the cons:
- Square and the team wanted to do their own thing with the story and that's completely fine. But what they frankensteined together is pure indulgent, self masterbatory nonsense.
IT FUCKING BAAAAAD.
Any sense of restraint or brevity is completely non-existent here. I'm not just complaining about the length of the game, which is an issue in itself. No, it's that it takes SOOOO long to say absolutely nothing meaningful. Your side quests don't add anything meaningful, narratively speaking. You'll have extended cutscenes that don't move things forward. You'll have story changes/tweaks that just make things worse and undo the atmosphere of the original (President Shinra's death comes to mind).
The fan service is not charming. It's taken to absurdly ridiculous levels just makes everything longer and less coherent.
- Initially I was indifferent to Barret as a character and how's he's represented. As things went on tho, it really gets embarrassingly offensive and I'm surprised there wasn't more of a blow up about it.
- THE FUCKING LENGTH. It has NO RIGHT to be this long. There's nothing gained, only lost.

I REALLY wanted to love it. My kids liked sitting in and going thru the story with me but there were times were they literally just left the room. Even they "sensed" something was off with the game's pacing.

I'm sure there are some out there who have written thousand word dissertations about how it's good or not good. Won't be that guy.

I'll just say again, it's bad.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The fan service is not charming. It's taken to absurdly ridiculous levels just makes everything longer and less coherent.

I for the life of me can't understand how anyone finds Jessie even remotely charming in the remake. Her shtick is worn out in minutes and they never let up on it for a second. No actual human being would act the way she does.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the game was a straight remake.

All the stretching and squeezing and the changes were so boring and painful. Also that level design was so annoying.

I love the combat but my god, I hate the stuff I mentioned.
I for the life of me can't understand how anyone finds Jessie even remotely charming in the remake. Her shtick is worn out in minutes and they never let up on it for a second. No actual human being would act the way she does.
Agreed.

While I am at it, I hate how the characters move in such a weird anime way. Especially the ladies.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I liked a lot what they did with the story and I thought the multiverse stuff is a great way to break free of the expectations of fans, but it was definitely way too long and bloated. They added one good chapter-- Jesse's background that lets you see a little TINY bit of life on the plate-- and the rest of the additions were destructive to the pacing IMO.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I totally disagree that this game says nothing meaningful. It is a game about contending with the legacy of one of if not the most popular RPGs of all time. It is explicitly about living under the shadow of a previously told story and trying to do justice to characters that people, creators included, love. Every aspect of the script and story is part of this.

While I do not love the presentation of Chapter 19, I think it delivers on some of the more thematically clear aspects of the game: that these are characters people are seeing after 20 years and they deserve a fighting chance at something different, despite the cries of legacy fans. This is a culmination of everything FF7 and the people that brought it this far -- fans, creators, collaborators. Nothing is left undiscussed.

It is explicitly about undoing the original. It is a game about remaking FF7. It is a sequel, not a remake.

This is wildly ambitious and interesting storytelling. I am in for the rest.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the game was a straight remake.

All the stretching and squeezing and the changes were so boring and painful. Also that level design was so annoying.

I love the combat but my god, I hate the stuff I mentioned.

Agreed.

While I am at it, I hate how the characters move in such a weird anime way. Especially the ladies.

Remake would have been an absolutely KILLER 15 hour, straight linear, narrative driven action RPG.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I liked a lot what they did with the story and I thought the multiverse stuff is a great way to break free of the expectations of fans, but it was definitely way too long and bloated. They added one good chapter-- Jesse's background that lets you see a little TINY bit of life on the plate-- and the rest of the additions were destructive to the pacing IMO.

Exactly

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to come back and type out a more detailed explanation but can't atm and I am in full agreement about Jessie.
I got the game early but really struggled to play it and following the OT at launch I felt like a person completely out of the loop.
I had no idea why people found her character so great and she just came across as desperate and annoying.

Overall I was really not a fan of remake for a lot of reasons, quite disappointing and I have yet to make it through the game.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a take, all right.

Edit: I see OP had the title edited. I was commenting on the original title that referred to the game as trash.

Last edited:

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Why am I not surprised that this post is nothing more than a hyperbolic "look at me I'm different and edgy" take. You knew from the get go that it wasn't going to be a shot for shot remaster, or else it would have been called that. As someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for VII other than beating it, I enjoyed my time woth Remake more than any mainline FF game outside of IX, XII, and XIV.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
You found 5 points in favour of a game you consider "utter trash" and "utter bullshit", two of them being the excellent gameplay and the visuals of the game... Wow, usually when something is trash, it's just trash all around. But I guess you're afraid no one would talk to you so you went with that title.
This forum never gets old.
You people and your attention seeking titles.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game "design" was really poor. It was linear in all the ways people complain about FFXIII being AND it had slow walking AND more "squeeze through" sections of any game since Fallen Order (lol). It has good combat and good characters (that benefit from people loving them for 20 years, frankly) but everything outside of that is pretty tough to swallow a first time...let alone a second. I thought they treated the world with a lot of respect and let you see like 4% of it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was fun. The game wasn't very long at all imo.

Never played the original

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Why am I not surprised that this post is nothing more than a hyperbolic "look at me I'm different and edgy" take. You knew from the get go that it wasn't going to be a shot for shot remaster, or else it would have been called that. As someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for VII other than beating it, I enjoyed my time woth Remake more than any mainline FF game outside of IX, XII, and XIV.
You found 5 points in favour of a game you consider "utter trash" and "utter bullshit", two of them being the excellent gameplay and the visuals of the game... Wow, usually when something is trash, it's just trash all around. But I guess you're afraid no one would talk to you so you went with that title.
This forum never gets old.
You people and your attention seeking titles.

Imagine behaving like this because somebody doesn't like the same video game as you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
damn, you had nowhere to go but up after those awful games too

VywxQfV.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think your points are any less valid, but calling the entire game utter trash for it seems hyperbolic and childish. The remake clearly had a lot of effort and talent poured into it, even if you disagreed with some of the decisions.

Imagine behaving like this because somebody doesn't like the same video game as you.
I mean was the OP really inviting level-headed discussion with a thread title like that? The tone was set by them.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of my most enjoyed games this year. Got the Platinum. Loved the gameplay. Fantastic soundtrack. I'm fine with them going a different direction with the story, because, I played the OG a bunch of times already growing up. I'm cool with something new.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
To each their own
tenor.gif

Game has issues but I loved it and cannot wait for part 2.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So you think the gameplay was by and large, excellent, you loved the music, it was at times a graphical masterpiece...

...and it's "utter trash".

I mean, I didn't actually like the game that much, but this sort of hyperbole is not conducive to in-depth discussion, I feel.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah I thought it sucked, 10/10 combat though

Playing Cyberpunk makes me sort of wish they went even more self indulgent tho and made Midgar as vast as Night City. Maybe if they took even greater departure from the original storyline instead of telling the same story extremely slowly, what could have been

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean, I get that feeling of it not living up to your nostalgia and all but that doesn't make the game "TRASH". The game functions well, plays well, sounds well and is really fun. Sure it has some flaws but does that make it "TRASH"? You need to play more games if you think this game is awful, to be honest lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think your points are any less valid, but calling the entire game utter trash for it seems hyperbolic and childish. The remake clearly had a lot of effort and talent poured into it, even if you disagreed with some of the decisions.

I mean was the OP really inviting level-headed discussion with a thread title like that? The tone was set by them.

There's a self evident difference between believing a video game is bad and denigrating another person for feeling as such.

All games have Herculean amounts of effort put into them. Sonic Boom was a game where the developers were constantly jerked around by the higher ups to the point of having to work out Cryengine on a console that didn't support it. The game was trash. It happens.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Jessie in the pros had me burst out laughing.
Regardless, it's a flawed game for sure but overall I had a good time with it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Before going in, I thought the worst part about it was going to be the episodic thing. Boy, I had no idea just how bad they managed to make this.

Yeah, the mocap or whatever they're using is just weird and does not look natural at all.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I thought it had some of the best characters interactions and moments this gen in JRPGs (surpassing the OG for me), definitly the best boss fights for the genre in like forever and a great combat system. Pacing was also good, nothing really overstayed its welcome and it threw nice distractions at you along the way. 30-40 hours was the right length to me. On top of that it also had a killer OST.

I just wish Midgar would've been a bit bigger, but I think the next part will expand the size of the areas.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
To each their own I guess. I felt like it's the first time in over a decade that it's felt like they have a clear idea for what modern FF should be.

Oct 27, 2017
Before going in, I thought the worst part about it was going to be the episodic thing. Boy, I had no idea just how bad they managed to make this.

Yeah, the mocap or whatever they're using is just weird and does not look natural at all.
What makes this weirder is that you have a game that has real looking characters (well, mostly). I could buy those mocaps in something like Persona or any anime game but not in this one.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Maybe the remake wasn't for you.

After The Last of Us 2.. FF7 Remake was the best game for me this year along with Hades.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
To each their own I guess. I felt like it's the first time in over a decade that it's felt like they have a clear idea for what modern FF should be.

Yeah this as well. This game really gave me a confidence boost for the future. Even though I quite liked 13 and 15, they werent quite fully realized in some aspects - but here everything fell in place really nicely. So we have this team and Yoshi-Ps team handling mainline games for next gen, which is super exciting.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you don't like it, sure you do you.

But I cannot fathom how you arrive at this game being "utter trash". It sounds to me like something frustrated you and you are just venting. This game is far from trash by pretty much every standard.

Also it's like what 34 hours long? Maybe 40 if you are playing on hard? For a JRPG that is pretty standard if not even a little on the short side.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible gameplay, characters, and story.

I really wish they could make an unambiguously great single player mainline FF again. It's been over 14 years since 12.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I loved what they did with it. I didn't think it was perfect and there was some points that dragged a bit, but I played through it twice effectively, for the plat. I'm super pumped for the second chapter to see how they handle the next part

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I've never been hugely nostalgic for the original FFVII. My "moments" with the franchise were with IV and VI.
That being said, I did finish it when it came out originally and do have some fond memories.

Remake is utter bullshit

Like, it's so bad at what it sets out to do that it could be considered fascinating if not for the fact that it's 30 hours too long. I got up to Ch.19 and had to put the controller down, literally, and walk away.

I'll keep it brief...

Pros
- Excellent combat system, though the amount of staggering/stun locking is borderline absurd.
- Insane visual fidelity in the opening and closing sections
- Some fantastic music at times
- They really nailed Cloud's VA/performance. Like, its better than it has any right to be.
- Jessie

And on to the cons:
- Square and the team wanted to do their own thing with the story and that's completely fine. But what they frankensteined together is pure indulgent, self masterbatory nonsense.
IT FUCKING BAAAAAD.
Any sense of restraint or brevity is completely non-existent here. I'm not just complaining about the length of the game, which is an issue in itself. No, it's that it takes SOOOO long to say absolutely nothing meaningful. Your side quests don't add anything meaningful, narratively speaking. You'll have extended cutscenes that don't move things forward. You'll have story changes/tweaks that just make things worse and undo the atmosphere of the original (President Shinra's death comes to mind).
- Initially I was indifferent to Barret as a character and how's he's represented. As things went on tho, it really gets embarrassingly offensive and I'm surprised there wasn't more of a blow up about it.
- THE FUCKING LENGTH. It has NO RIGHT to be this long. There's nothing gained, only lost.

I REALLY wanted to love it. My kids liked sitting in and going thru the story with me but there were times were they literally just left the room. Even they "sensed" something was off with the game's pacing.

I'm sure there are some out there who have written thousand word dissertations about how it's good or not good. Won't be that guy.

I'll just say again, it's bad.

They made it for the fans of the original instead of targeting today's 15-18 year olds. I think that is what led to your main complaint regarding the story changes.

Yes Barrett was garbage. Yes, some mid game filler was either low quality or didn't fit well with the story.

But the battle system and the music elevate the game to the level where I can forgive all those flaws, and still think of it as a 9/10 game. Battle system had no right to be that good, quite frankly.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they bloated it more, it ended too soon, game of the generation for sure.
With the best RPG battle system ever created.

Actually, can't call something that has battles that are this fun bloated because they made up reasons for me to fight more.

And the stuff they did with the story is just fantastic, a AAA game that takes that big of a risk and makes more than half of its fanbase super bitter and angry is something to admire in today's gaming industry. I'd admire it even if it didn't turn out as well as it did.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you think the gameplay was by and large, excellent, you loved the music, it was at times a graphical masterpiece...

...and it's "utter trash".

I mean, I didn't actually like the game that much, but this sort of hyperbole is not conducive to in-depth discussion, I feel.

Reminds me of some of the discourse from TLOU2. Eg those who stated they loved the gameplay but hated the story, and then go on to proclaim the game is trash lol.

Evidently some people really don't like their narrative or character headcanon/preconceptions being messed with lol.