• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've loved SRPGs for years now, but had never been able to get into FFT. I think I've tried it twice before--both times I recall being incredibly overwhelmed and confused during the tutorial and just struggling during the subsequent fight. This time was no different--but my SO, who absolutely loves this game, told me to just give it a bit more time and it'd click. I struggled through the subsequent fight, confused as to why I could only use Ramza and Delita, finally beating by the skin of my teeth after multiple tries, only for him to look over and say "hey, you know you can place other units right? Let me show you how."

Yes...over multiple attempts, I had never figured out how to place additional units, which explained why the game felt so brutal and confusing. He pointed out a few other things that I just had no idea about and sent me on my way--since then, I've been having an absolute blast.

I've always loved the FF job system, and tactics presents it in a way that's really fun--I've found myself spending downtime at work trying to map out what I'd like to do with various characters and trying to figure out the benefits of various subclasses. The crafting of characters is great, and I love that you gain some passive EXP and can steal job abilities as well. It's especially nice for Ramza, who I'm working on making a dark knight, because it means less grinding through classes I've largely just avoided. I will say my sole complaint is when new characters come in, they come in with like no JP...it's hard to justify swapping someone out of my small team who've I've been building since the beginning for a new story character.

There's a lot of interesting jobs as well! I will say I've sort of avoided the weirder magic classes--I tried out orator and arithmetician for a hot second, was like "lmao nope", and have not touched them since. But otherwise I like it--the melee classes in particular are fun, and I love the diversity in options.

Okay but here's the thing that's really blowing me away: the DIALOGUE. The story is fantastic and the art is super charming, but my god the dialogue is really well done and just...I really enjoy it. It does so much to feed into the setting and to elevate each scene--the localization is really just fantastic. I actually thought it was Alexander O. Smith who did it (as I loved his work on FF12 and it really reminds me of it) but according to wikipedia, apparently not? But whoever it is, I think they did a fantastic job adding a ton of character and nuance to the dialogue. I love the pseudo-shakespeare stuff when done well, and this is really done well.

I also think the game's difficulty is really to it's benefit--I can't really get through the more difficult maps just by dicking around and finding a solution, I have to actually think about what I'm doing, what sort of skills I have per map, etc. I end up having to restart a fair amount which usually might annoy me, but I feel like I learn something each reset and it ends up just being nice to feel myself get better each time.

One final thing--the reason I wanted to make the LTTP: I BEAT WIEGRAF LAST NIGHT AND I'M PROUD OF MYSELF. Oh my god I had to go grind and get a bunch of good skills (luckily my SO made clear I needed to have like 3-4 saves to rotate through or else I'd regret it because I got my ass kicked the first time), but being able to finally beat that fight was amazing. I used auto-potion and tailwind after bravery grinding Ramza up till like 91 brave...and even then it took me 3 times for me to get the correct set up where the rest of my party didn't die in the second part of the map. Here's a fun pic of the start of phase 2 that made me laugh to end it--thank you for listening to my big rant haha.

D_P5lL9U8AAMBMp.jpg

(oh also, I just started CH 4 so please no spoilers from anything in CH 4 !!)

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
So jealous, wish I could play it again as it were my first time... good luck, and enjoy the best srpg ever created.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I couldn't enjoy it. The story was overhyped and the systems were obtuse.

To me FE7 is the most perfect SRPG

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but here's the thing that's really blowing me away: the DIALOGUE. The story is fantastic and the art is super charming, but my god the dialogue is really well done and just...I really enjoy it. It does so much to feed into the setting and to elevate each scene--the localization is really just fantastic. I actually thought it was Alexander O. Smith who did it (as I loved his work on FF12 and it really reminds me of it) but according to wikipedia, apparently not? But whoever it is, I think they did a fantastic job adding a ton of character and nuance to the dialogue. I love the pseudo-shakespeare stuff when done well, and this is really done well.

You'd be forgiven for thinking so! It was done by Joseph Reeder, Smith's partner for localization.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Joseph Reeder is O. Smith's partner on a bunch of projects (FF12, etc) which is why it's similar and great.

You've got the absolutely god-tier Tactics Ogre if you find yourself wanting more when you're done.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I stopped playing for a long time because I saved before he Wiegraf battle but couldn't go back and grind. I couldn't beat him so I stopped. I picked the game up 2 years later and beat him on my first try lol

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I said this in a different thread recently, but I could never beat
Wiegraf
because I saved after the point of no return. So my head cannon for Final Fantasy Tactics is that Ramza dies at that point in the story and that's the end of his adventure forever.

edit: How do you spoiler tag without a page break?

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
You'd be forgiven for thinking so! It was done by Joseph Reeder, Smith's partner for localization.

OH that makes a ton of sense! God he did such a fantastic job.

Joseph Reeder is O. Smith's partner on a bunch of projects (FF12, etc) which is why it's similar and great.

You've got the absolutely god-tier Tactics Ogre if you find yourself wanting more when you're done.

Tactics Ogre is another one I've tried twice and couldn't figure out (although I recall getting a bit further than I originally did in tactics). I think the last time I tried it was maybe like 4-5 years ago though, so I'll def try it out again at some point now that I know what's happening haha. But first I'll probably be playing FE3H, so maybe later this year!

I stopped playing for a long time because I saved before he Wiegraf battle but couldn't go back and grind. I couldn't beat him so I stopped. I picked the game up 2 years later and beat him on my first try lol

NICE! I think if you know what you're doing he's def beatable on his first time! I just don't know what I'm doing haha.

edit: How do you spoiler tag without a page break?

[ cross ] xxxx [ / cross ]

without the spaces or xs

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I'm glad you had your SO helping you. Back then i didn't have anyone and got stuck at dorter trade City because i didn't know about jobs. My friend and i would trade tips until we finally beat it together. It was before we used internet too, good times

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The original release of FFT had a slow scrolling intro screen talking about the social and political condition of Ivalice. The text would appear a word at a time and talked about peasants being forced into banditry because they had no money and no hope. The exact phrase used was "little money" but for some reason little money was spread up into seperate letters. Since the text appeared a word at a time it slowed to an absolute crawl as "l i t t l e m o n e y" appeared on the screen.

War of the Lions has a way better translation and overall better presentation (although the removal of spell quotes is BS) but Ill always miss the janky issues PSX era square games had.

edit: Just so you know what Im talking about, characters would randomly shout out an attack cry before casting a spell or doing a magical attack. So if you had someone casting Frog they would randomly say on the battlefield "Know, live, become a frog! Frog!" when thier turn comes up. Since the original was so poorly translated you had some funny things like Agrias saying "Life is short, bury! Steady Sword!" when using a skill called Stasis Sword, or the "Lich" summon being translated as "Rich" in the spell quote, "Death song, death door, death river awaiting! Rich!"

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fucking best. Story is even more relevant today than it was in '97.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
War of the Lions is amazing and some of that dialogue is just...whew lads. Love it.

I think Tactics Ogre remake is even better. Both are God tier gaming experiences.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Best SRPG ever made and I am still floored it holds the crown to this day

I mean.. its not the most popular genre ever but it has a decent selection of members

Its just THAT good from top to bottom

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I have this game on mobile, but I haven't really been able to get into it so far. I obviously need to put in more effort because I've heard nothing but good things about FFT.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've "started" the game about three or four times, because I always get told to go through the long as hell tutorial thing and learning that before actually starting. Always sucked my energy, and failed to go through it.

If I ever do replay it though, what's recommended - Android version, PSP version, or the PSP patched version without slowdown?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I've "started" the game about three or four times, because I always get told to go through the long as hell tutorial thing and learning that before actually starting. Always sucked my energy, and failed to go through it.

If I ever do replay it though, what's recommended - Android version, PSP version, or the PSP patched version without slowdown?

Whhhaaattt

No way man I didnt even do the tutorial when I first played the game back in the 90s

Just get right into the thick of it! Youll figure it out

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So, my PSP is dead at this point (battery got fucked up somehow) and I never got a PS Vita. Has War of the Lions ever been ported to anything else? Is there any way to play War of the Lions on modern consoles?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So, my PSP is dead at this point (battery got fucked up somehow) and I never got a PS Vita. Has War of the Lions ever been ported to anything else? Is there any way to play War of the Lions on modern consoles?

Fuck I wish

Did the mobile port get moved to PC?

If not you could play the mobile version on PC with one of those android emulators or the PSP emulator.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's a mobile port that is incredibly well done. No control issues at all, fantastic work (which is rare for SE for ports).

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Something about the endgame unique weapon loot in this and Tactics Ogre is addicting to me, I can't not spend hours trying to steal swords and such from the like one enemy in the game that will have it equipped or using the rewind feature until I get a hidden treasure drop

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile port for both Android and iOS. Removes the PSP slowdown on spells and summons (by speeding up their frame rate).

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it's possible to fix the slowdown problem with access to homebrew for the PS Vita. I bought the PSP version on PSN and the slowdown was so tedious that I opted for the PS1 original.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's possible to fix the slowdown problem with access to homebrew for the PS Vita. I bought the PSP version on PSN and the slowdown was so tedious that I opted for the PS1 original.

it is

you can run the patch with an app on load or patch the game itself

I havent touched the vita homebrew scene in a long time though so youll have to research it

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favourite games. A proper modern sequel by Matsuno is number one on my list of games I want to become reality.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Fuck I wish

Did the mobile port get moved to PC?

If not you could play the mobile version on PC with one of those android emulators or the PSP emulator.
Mobile port for both Android and iOS. Removes the PSP slowdown on spells and summons (by speeding up their frame rate).
There's a mobile port that is incredibly well done. No control issues at all, fantastic work (which is rare for SE for ports).

I do not keep up with Android or iOS environments very much so thank you for letting me know that there is a port available there! Looking forward to revisiting it soon!

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...Okay but here's the thing that's really blowing me away: the DIALOGUE. The story is fantastic and the art is super charming, but my god the dialogue is really well done and just...I really enjoy it. It does so much to feed into the setting and to elevate each scene--the localization is really just fantastic. I actually thought it was Alexander O. Smith who did it (as I loved his work on FF12 and it really reminds me of it) but according to wikipedia, apparently not? But whoever it is, I think they did a fantastic job adding a ton of character and nuance to the dialogue. I love the pseudo-shakespeare stuff when done well, and this is really done well. ...

This gamer gets it.

Glad to read your impressions. It still sits at the top of my gaming hillside (right alongside Tactics Ogre).

Enjoy the rest. It doesn't falter.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Ninja + Double attack + Double Fists was just the most OP thing ever.
Also this game is so sublime

Good to know! I'm currently working on getting Mustadio to ninja, and am about to unlock it on Ramza so I'm excited!

it's great

and tactics ogre is even better

so if you have a psp, that could be your next game if you want more in the same style

I bought it on PSN years ago and it never quite clicked, but I think now that I understand what's happening in tactics, I'll try it out again later this year!

This gamer gets it.

Glad to read your impressions. It still sits at the top of my gaming hillside (right alongside Tactics Ogre).

Enjoy the rest. It doesn't falter.

Thank you! Looking forward to the rest--sadly I'm in the process of moving so I can't just play for a whole day, but if I could I would.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I also think the game's difficulty is really to it's benefit--I can't really get through the more difficult maps just by dicking around and finding a solution, I have to actually think about what I'm doing, what sort of skills I have per map, etc. I end up having to restart a fair amount which usually might annoy me, but I feel like I learn something each reset and it ends up just being nice to feel myself get better each time.

Yeah, I get that the game values the narrative, but it's maybe not great that you have to pick and place units without any context before a battle. (Though that's maybe less of an issue if you've been playing through the game every two years over the past two decade, not that that's something I personally do. Ahem.)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
There's a lot of interesting jobs as well! I will say I've sort of avoided the weirder magic classes--I tried out orator and arithmetician for a hot second, was like "lmao nope", and have not touched them since. But otherwise I like it--the melee classes in particular are fun, and I love the diversity in options.

Arithmetician (used to be called calculator) is the most overpowered class in the game. You want to have at least one of them.

It's been a while since I played it, but the gist of it is this- that class learns to target things by mathematical calculation using a combination of two categories:
CT, EXP, Level, Height in the first category
then Prime, Multiple 5, Multiple 4, Multiple 3, Multiple 2 in the second.

So as an example, learning Level then Multiple of 5 allows the calculator to simultaneously target everything on the screen with a level that's a multiple of 5, *no matter how far away from the arithmetician it is or how many of them there are*.

sound broken? it gets worse. "Math Skill" casts spells, but does so instantly with **no charge time** and **using 0 MP**

you heard me right. A full powered Arithmetician can screen clear an entire level BY THEMSELVES in 1-2 turns. Doesn't matter who you're fighting, they're completely fucked.

obviously for a class THIS busted there has to be a drawback, and the drawback is that arithmeticians are so AGONIZINGLY SLOW that attempting to level one to any degree of usefulness from the start will take an eternity via normal means. they'll never actually gain any JP- Battles will typically be over before they have the chance to take any action.

Therefore, you want a character with the Math SKILL but not the arithmetician job- say for instance a black mage or a blue mage with Math Skill equipped. As soon as you can, make an arithmetician, but don't put them in the battle party, send them out on jobs that you find in Inns. They'll gain JP while you're traveling around the map, and have enough to max out the Arithmetician job in short order, despite their glacial battle speed. Take that fully learned Math Skill, transform that character back to a different mage, and cruise through the rest of the game unscathed.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
This is still my favorite FF game by far. It has my favorite story, my favorite gameplay, and one of my favorite soundtracks in the series.

I have this game on mobile, but I haven't really been able to get into it so far. I obviously need to put in more effort because I've heard nothing but good things about FFT.
The beginning of the game is pretty slow. IMO it starts to really open up at chapter 2 because that's when you usually have enough levels to unlock the more exotic classes and get to play around with the gameplay systems.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. We need a Switch/PS4/Xbox One port so bad.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding your spoiler, yeah I am glad I rotated saves as well because Jesus that fight. Finally playing it all the way through with the slowdown patch for the first time this year, and it's been an experience. Didn't think anything would top Let Us Cling Together, but man it's getting close. Planning on finishing it before the year is out. Couldn't agree more with everything in your right up. It kills me that these games didn't get more sequels in the same vein/caliber.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All these threads about FFT just saddens me since we don't have a port of it on PS4. Happy for you OP, you're playing one of the best games ever made.

Oct 26, 2017
Back in 2016 when I first played the game, the combat and job system was the most fun I've ever had with customization in a very long time. Made some pretty hilarious combinations that way, like combining some ninja and monk skills.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this thread made me want to give this game a try again. Like you I felt overwhelmed at the beginning too, maybe now it will be different if I also stick with it!

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
In my top 5 games of all time. Maybe one day we'll get a (true) sequel
www.dualshockers.com

Yasumi Matsuno Comments On Possible New Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle Saga Games

Yasumi Matsuno spoke about how a part of himself wishes to make a new Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Matsuno: Rather than looking back at the past, I'm the kind of person who loves trying out new things. But when you reach my age, you start having thoughts like "How much time do I have left to keep making games?". And I'm not talking about retirement, I'm talking about death. Recently, I've been to more funerals than weddings, and it made me aware of how limited our time is. On places like Twitter, fans sometimes send me messages like "I really wish you'd make a new Ogre or FFT!!". When I see messages like this, a part of me thinks "I probably need to make one before I die".

Matsuno sounds like he wants to do it and Square itself seems to have a soft spot for the game, it's their most popular/revisited spinoff. So I think chances are good that we will see a new one in the next few years.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
www.dualshockers.com

Yasumi Matsuno Comments On Possible New Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle Saga Games

Yasumi Matsuno spoke about how a part of himself wishes to make a new Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Matsuno sounds like he wants to do it and Square itself seems to have a soft spot for the game, it's their most popular/revisited spinoff. So I think chances are good that we will see a new one in the next few years.

Don't do this to me, Glass, please