• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
i don't get why people keep complain about anime being anime ortoo japanese , it is like someone complain about games too american or western , simply i don't get it .
You can be critical of tropes even if they occur in a lot of Japanese media. The infantilization of women is not some unassailable, unimpeachable holy trope that can't be called out because "that's just how Japan is." For one, that's not necessarily "just how Japan is" and generalizing this as inherent to Japanese media is kind of insulting. For another, all art is open to all criticism, both fair and unfair.

Final Fantasy as a series has had its ups and downs in regards to its treatment of women, but I don't think this problem is all that widespread in the series. In fact I think it's mostly limited to games written/directed by a few specific people. FF14 certainly doesn't treat its female characters this way (although Hyur women do have that silly "anime girl" run animation and Miqo'te are fetishy as fuck).

ket

Jul 27, 2018
because it doesn't want be realistic, it is manga,anime releated .

that is the point , for you it's anime shit , that is your taste not a objective thing .
[/QUOTE]

it's not that it's anime-like though, it's how those movements don't fit with the characters as they're portrayed.

Sep 10, 2018
You can be critical of tropes even if they occur in a lot of Japanese media. The infantilization of women is not some unassailable, unimpeachable holy trope that can't be called out because "that's just how Japan is." For one, that's not necessarily "just how Japan is" and generalizing this as inherent to Japanese media is kind of insulting. For another, all art is open to all criticism, both fair and unfair.

Final Fantasy as a series has had its ups and downs in regards to its treatment of women, but I don't think this problem is all that widespread in the series. In fact I think it's mostly limited to games written/directed by a few specific people. FF14 certainly doesn't treat its female characters this way (although Hyur women do have that silly "anime girl" run animation and Miqo'te are fetishy as fuck).

every character is like that , let's talk about wedge? This game don't wanna be too much serious in many parts . What are you doing right now is generalizing too , why if a girl act that is a bad treatment for women? There are many girls that love this kind of things , who decide that is an insult for women?

Sep 10, 2018
because it doesn't want be realistic, it is manga,anime releated .

that is the point , for you it's anime shit , that is your taste not a objective thing .

it's not that it's anime-like though, it's how those movements don't fit with the characters as they're portrayed.
[/QUOTE]

it is still a point a view .

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I liked it, but I'd say a good chunk of it is pretty mediocre. The level-designs, the side-quests, the filler. Most of the new additions are weak and detract from the whole. But the game has some pretty high highs that save it for me.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can y'all chill with the spoilers JFC

Why am I reading comments about the final boss and shit? Come on people.

I mean, you're just definitely wrong about Roche, he's incredibly fun and I had a grin on my face the entire time he was on screen, and he's also the first AMAZING boss fight of the game. Everything about the entire sequence with him is great and memorable.
For real people who don't like Roche just don't like fun apparently. He is just so over the top and stupid that he is entertaining as hell. And just adds to what is already a pretty dang cool sequence. Honestly hope they have more sort of setpiece moments like that in the next installment.
He was the very definition of tryhard. "look at how zany and cool and funny we are lololol" - nah breh

lol @ "don't like fun" 🙄

Yes

How is anyone going to rail on a game that has two men prominently featured in a seductive dance number for being a victim of "Male Gaze"

[edit] Not played for laughs by the way
How does an unrelated scene invalidates my comment concerning the camera framing around Tifa? This is really not the gotcha you think it is.

I'm not trying to refute anything. Just amused that entire paragraphs of the OP basically came down to "Why are these anime characters behaving like anime characters" as if it was some kind of insight.
Stop being obtuse. The issue is that this is a sexist trope common in anime, not that it's something that just happens to be common in anime and that's why it's bad. The constant grunts etc. are also "anime" but are obviously not problematic the way the infantilization of women are.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Hard to disagree with any of the OPs impressions. Most of it can be attributed to just the fact that they had to pad Midgar out to justify a full game's length, and modern Square-Enix Division 1 doing what they do. The mannerisms in the animations is a little trickier for me though, and is probably a whole subject of its own. I definitely agree that they (along with the constant grunting and gasping) look out of place to me, and can be distracting. It's hard for an outsider like me to parse which instances are just me bumping into a general cultural barrier of body language, and which are just iffy visual tropes of like anime and idol culture and the like. Wherever the line is drawn, it sure is a big old coinkidink that the more childish looking mannerisms just happen to be given children and women under 30 almost exclusively.

The music criticism I understand, but doesn't really bother me that much. The music has to accommodate a differently paced game than the original work, so it I expected the arrangements to go harder and be overproduced. Regardless of which individual renditions I prefer, I think they did a pretty good job.

I do think that the reception of Final Fantasy 7 Remake perhaps warrants a remaster of the FF13 Trilogy. Those games were not received all that well at the time, but they share a surprising amount of similarities with FF7R (especially Lightning Returns). Perhaps those games would have an easier time finding an audience in 2021?

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's second place in the GotY awards for a reason. Not liking the music is honestly baffling to me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As a non-anime expert, does all animes even make their character (women especially) behave like thatÂż

Like for example, I watched Montser, isn't that anime too? yet doesn't have that.

So I don't think it's simply "it's expected in an anime game" more that it takes the worst tropes of some animes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to refute anything. Just amused that entire paragraphs of the OP basically came down to "Why are these anime characters behaving like anime characters" as if it was some kind of insight.

Tropes can range from annoying to harmful and people want to discuss that and how it affects the media being consumed. If you're just here to say "haha you expected different from anime?" then I don't really know what you want as a response other than people quoting you and questioning your intent. The original FF7 left a lot to the imagination so much of this new portrayal was either not a thing or was not as overt.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
God the "lol anime game too anime amirite fellas" deflection is so lazy and annoying. Heaven forbid you actually engage with the media you consume.
Because they approve of the content, and to some people admitting faults within media is akin to admitting faults within themselves. That is difficult to do even in good faith, and moreso yet with things you tie your identity to.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
As a non-anime expert, does all animes even make their character (women especially) behave like thatÂż

Like for example, I watched Montser, isn't that anime too? yet doesn't have that.

So I don't think it's simply "it's expected in an anime game" more that it takes the worst tropes of some animes.
No. It's somewhat common in shounen anime, which is anime made for teenage boys. Even the "positive" female characters tend to be one-dimensional archtypes (eg. the badass no-nonsense tough chick). Outside of this demograph, it's less common. Monster is seinen, aimed at adults, so the women are actual characters.

People saying "it's expected because it's an anime game" are just being lazy and uninterested in thinking about stuff because being critical of the things you're a fan of makes you sad.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can see what you mean for a lot of these complaints

The level design itself never wowed me once, I never thought it was clever at all (though honestly, this is a problem with most JRPGs and understandable considering the focus of them is mainly combat systems)

the sidequests were pretty lame, and it was weird how you get locked in to them like "okay you're here now, you can't return to this ever (until you get chapter select near the end of the game) so we'll give you an allotted time to do sidequests, and give the okay when you're ready" it's like they thought "maybe this will make it less FF13-ey".

But despite that... I loved the game. Combat was fun, I don't think it's among the best combat even but it was flashy and fun and made me strategize, Tifa and Aerith I can agree with the body language but I thought they had lots of charm and were pretty well written, bland sidequests aside I love wandering these towns and talking to people.

I actually did love the music - though that's because I expected everything to be over orchestrated and even though some were, the OST in general plays around with a diverse array of sounds that I was really pleased with. (The Airbuster theme actually grew on me in the last couple of days and I think the choir is a brilliant addition to the reprise of the second half of the theme, makes it so epic). And there's parts of the original that the remake just gets RIGHT. Like Wall Market and Don. I was worried they'd dial back the camp of the original and try to make it more serious, but that concern was quickly dashed.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Always sad to see arguments of the kind of "this is not how people act/speak in real life" make their way into conversations that might have some value. I'm not going to lie i don't care for any of the conversation going on ITT except for discussing the women in the game. I watched Nina Freeman play this game before playing it myself and went in with her own positive impressions of Aerith, Tifa, etc, so i'm always interested to see other takes on them if they seem good/researched/genuine.

And the idea that their femininity is being used as a way to convey a saccharine, defanged ideal of women is a good, strong argument to be made (though i'd argue the question here is how exploitative it is, how it exists later in the game after a whole lot has happened, and how it relates to other aspects of their personality, because "saccharineness" can be a means for something else too sometimes), but this idealization of how people act in real life being being used kind of shows off an obvious misunderstanding of what's going on, the game is highly theatrical and IIRC there is only one section where the game even hints at wanting some naturalistic dialogue (the section where you're leaving the church with Aerith through the rooftops). The game is extremely theatrical in fact in the same way pretty much about 99% of all things are these days, i can think of honestly only a couple of games that try that kind of naturalistic human expression/conversation, and even those might be more adequately described as leaning towards premium television "naturalistic". Truth is even the women in media that can be said to be good women characters are probably not like how people are in real life either.

Anyway. My point is, i wish people would make a better effort in these discussions to make more informed arguments, even if they are in fact aware of all this but not putting it in their posts (which ??? because i don't know these people i can't give that kind of good faith).

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Always sad to see arguments of the kind of "this is not how people act/speak in real life" make their way into conversations that might have some value. I'm not going to lie i don't care for any of the conversation going on ITT except for discussing the women in the game. I watched Nina Freeman play this game before playing it myself and went in with her own positive impressions of Aerith, Tifa, etc, so i'm always interested to see other takes on them if they seem good/researched/genuine.

And the idea that their femininity is being used as a way to convey a saccharine, defanged ideal of women is a good, strong argument to be made (though i'd argue the question here is how exploitative it is, how it exists later in the game after a whole lot has happened, and how it relates to other aspects of their personality, because "saccharineness" can be a means for something else too sometimes), but this idealization of how people act in real life being being used kind of shows off an obvious misunderstanding of what's going on, the game is highly theatrical and IIRC there is only one section where the game even hints at wanting some naturalistic dialogue (the section where you're leaving the church with Aerith through the rooftops). The game is extremely theatrical in fact in the same way pretty much about 99% of all things are these days, i can think of honestly only a couple of games that try that kind of naturalistic human expression/conversation, and even those might be more adequately described as leaning towards premium television "naturalistic". Truth is even the women in media that can be said to be good women characters are probably not like how people are in real life either.

Anyway. My point is, i wish people would make a better effort in these discussions to make more informed arguments, even if they are in fact aware of all this but not putting it in their posts (which ??? because i don't know these people i can't give that kind of good faith).

the problem is not that it is unrealistic, the problem is that the mannerisms conflict with the characters' portrayal. tifa is presented as the mature, level-headed, and compassionate co-leader of the avalanche cell and yet she does all this weird ass leaning in and other dumb shit within the first couple of hours of the game. it was so jarring and unnecessary.

even with aerith, where those mannerisms at least fit a bit more, it became grating because her character as a kind, brave, and upbeat person who is self-aware about her fate is marred at times whenever she does that stuff.

like, believe me i get that this is a game that likes to where its heart on its sleeve but, when it came to its female characters at least, it felt at times like the writers were overdoing it. you don't need them to do that stuff in order to make them compelling and interesting and there are plenty of examples of great female characters (even from japanese games) who don't act like that.

aloy, ellie, jill, claire, sheva, the boss from mgs3, nico from dmc5, etc.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I agree on every front Morrigan.

I especially agree with your music mention just because I felt like the only person who was unimpressed. I do like the air buster theme, its fantastic but everything else was a huge step down from the original OST and didn't stand out like the songs from 1997, they somehow muted the stand out melodies.

Roche is just garbage tier in every way, its laughable how bad his design and the advent children bike flipping is just so cringe inducing and I found a lot of the dialogue and characters equally cringey to be honest. It felt like fanfiction rather than an update to a classic.

It's second place in the GotY awards for a reason.

Whats your point here out of curiosity? That because its popular it can't be critisized? I mean this is a meaningless comment that doesn't engage with the op or provide any discourse and just comes across as a hand wave dismissal.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

Monster is pretty unique in itself and makes itself pretty distant from most of the tropes that are present in popular anime.

If you look at any of the top 10 anime of the year rankings in the last 5-10 years (probably longer) you'll find a lot of the tropes that annoy people in pretty much every one.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Definitely agree with the pacing, it's pretty bad. The music has some highlights but it's overall still something I'm less interested in listening to outside of the game than the original soundtrack, and I don't get the insane praise.

The game has its moments, some of the bosses are really damn cool, but it's just....not a great game overall IMO. I really do think something more focused that did do a 1-to-1 remake of the original with more standard real time combat (think Kingdom Hearts or something) could have been great.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
At least the second thread in one day where we label something that we don't like mediocre.

My opinion on the game differs point by point from hours completely other than I get some if the criticisms of the women of the game.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
It's one of the best FF ever made, sorry OP but your post is full of bad takes

Even complaining about the OST... come on

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Disagree on the combat and soundtrack. It's probably the best non-turn based combat I've ever experience in a JRPG. It feels fucking amazing, and some of the harder battles in the game require juggling quite a few things at once and constantly changing characters, just makes you feel like a badass and it's quite rewarding. I'm playing through the original FF7 rn, and I definitely think remake did a better job of the soundtrack.

Agree with you on most other things though. It's not a mediocre game as such, but it's a game with some aspects unbelievable impressive, but also some unbelievably poor. They went above and beyond for some, and went the lazy route for the others. I certainly enjoyed it quite a lot, but I could go on for hours about what I hated in it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There are moments like the streets at the start, Aerith's house, Scorpion boss, where I was thinking this is everything I ever wanted from a remake, but stuff like Jessie, Sephiroth, Roche really dragged it down, and from the sound of the ending I'm pretty sure I'll hate it when I play it again. I'd rate is as good rather than great

I've got a feeling they're going to diverge even further from the original story in part 2, for the worse in my case but lots of people here seem to want that

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The music has some highlights but it's overall still something I'm less interested in listening to outside of the game than the original soundtrack, and I don't get the insane praise.

The music was used effectively as a videogame with how it transitions between versions of a song. I remember Beck's gang had 3 versions and multiple area themes. Even if you prefer the original midi OST, the way its used here is a massive step up from being a hard cut into a new scene with a generic battle theme.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I'm not in a position to really speak on the combat since I only tried the demo, so I don't think it's fair for me to judge. But what I experienced of it sounds eerily similar to what OP described. It feels disjointed like it's trying to be two things at once and that doesn't work. But then I heard people praising it to high heavens, so maybe I'm doing something wrong? Either way, I was very excited to buy the game day 1 until I discovered it's title isn't exactly accurate and didn't appreciate the new changes in story. I might give it a shot on pc and see if I change my mind though.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R is my favorite game of last year, but I agree with lot of the points Morrigan said here. The game is absolutely full of filler, and not the good kind. So much forced walking, awkward transitions that mask loading, really poor side quests and even some main quests that only exist to pad out the runtime.

I also agree about how Tifa and Aerith are written and framed. I didn't really mind it while playing, but that's because I've been desensitised to this shit through the years on playing JRPGs. And no, just because this is a genre staple does not make it a good thing.

However, I do disagree vehemently on some parts. The combat of this game is for the most part fantastic. It's a great combination of action RPG and turn based. Only real pet peeve the game has that you can't really prepare for some bosses, and then just get bodied if you end up having the wrong materia combinations the first time around.

I also disagree about the soundtrack. It's my favorite OST of 2020, maybe even of the generation. It's definitely lot better than FF15 OST, which is something I wasn't expecting to say because I really like Shimomura more than Hamauzu in general.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Whats your point here out of curiosity? That because its popular it can't be critisized? I mean this is a meaningless comment that doesn't engage with the op or provide any discourse and just comes across as a hand wave dismissal.

They think it can be criticized, but that criticism has no significance. The people have spoken, and if a lot of people "like" something, then the few people criticizing it must be wrong.

The critic might write at length to explain their opinion, but because that opinion is "wrong", it's handwaved. If the goal is to protect the status quo, then handwaving criticism, rather than engaging it, is dangerous.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
the problem is not that it is unrealistic, the problem is that the mannerisms conflict with the characters' portrayal. tifa is presented as the mature, level-headed, and compassionate co-leader of the avalanche cell and yet she does all this weird ass leaning in and other dumb shit within the first couple of hours of the game. it was so jarring and unnecessary.

even with aerith, where those mannerisms at least fit a bit more, it became grating because her character as a kind, brave, and upbeat person who is self-aware about her fate is marred at times whenever she does that stuff.

I'm not sure they conflict in a significant way though. I understand in the instances where the body may be objectified (though i honestly do not remember an instance of this, i have to replay the game because my memories are only of the latter chapters by now), in which case there is a loss of autonomy that is being represented, but the general, hum, for a lack of a better expression, "acting cute", i don't see it as being in conflict with being a strong person, though i am somewhat used to this kind of character because i've seen other games/media in general where the point being made is that you can express that "cuteness" and still be a full person worth of strength and motivations and whatnot. From my experience with those cases, that mode of expression is there to disarm the masculinity and rob it of strength, courage, etc as its sole proprietorship, which i admit i am personally invested in to some degree (ergo my avatars).

I still don't see how the mannerisms devalue their characters, at least not in the perspective of it conflicting with their personalities, barring those mannerisms being sexually objectifying which i'm going to trust here until i replay the game myself. I can see it (and which i would agree with) that they are being made presentable and palatable by displaying a kind of performative cuteness to the presumed audience. But i'm not sure that's the argument being made here.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
Its not the women who are bad, all characters are bad and one dimensional Af. the mission designs are boring and the pacing is horrendous. the game should have been half its length. i remember at one point i toggled the difficulty to easy not because i was dying or anything but because they enemies kept on coming and coming and it felt sooo tedious. It was like i was stuck in a loop. Changed it to easy, quickly got over them.

I liked the combat alot. Really did. but the pacing and the length killed it for me

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Nah. Easily the best game of 2020. I don't like the original much, but this one is a improvement in every way, really really good game.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with the side quests and pacing somewhat but disagree on most every thing else.

The combat is the best combat in a FF game since FFX-2. It does require some improvements such as to the aerial combat and they need to fix those mid boss battle cinematics that can make you waste a huge damage dealing move. I hope they use this battle system (or something similar) for all future FF games.

I adore how they depicted Tifa and Aerith and most other characters. I'm not too fond of Jesse, they went a bit far with her characterization and if any character was too 'anime' it was definitely her. Roche is over the top and I can see why people would dislike him (I think he's OK).

The soundtrack is fantastic. They did a phenomenal job remixing some of my favourite songs from the OG and there are some original songs that would be up there in my favourite FF songs of all time list.

Last edited:

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud when I first saw Aerith run.

This game is such a self insert male fantasy
Ah yes, the game where you're famously dressed up in drag and compete in a male/male dance off — that somehow managers to be entirely LGBT respectful throughout— is such a typical male fantasy.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I kinda agree with the OP on everything.

But i'll just summarize is like that. J-rpg have huge flaws in writing, pacing etc.. Over Developing the beginning of FFVII like that makes everything stand out even more. It's like bad dialogs, bad characters, boring subway dungeons are multiplied by 25. Worse i think trying to disguise the game as a 2020 AAA makes it look even more obviously dated and ridiculous. But worst, i played the original many times and i hate the first part with a passion. It's so long and boring until you can explore the map. "Let's take the most boring part of a game and make it 3 times longer! Let's take our stupid NPCs and write 10 hours of side stories for them!" This is a nightmare. It's terrible playing a rpg while knowing the exploration part is never coming.. There is no sense of excitement.

Also man the original has that particular charm. It''s not just the chibis, it's the music, the sweetness, the naive absurdity.. It's just something special. I don't hate the new one in term of music and all but i just hope it's not meant to replace the original forever.
This is why i don't want a FFVI remake. Square has no idea what are the tonal strengh of their games. The change would be brutal.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Not sure I would call it mediocre, I don't LIKE all of the things they tried to do with it but it felt like a very ambitious game at the very least.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I agree with most things you said OP.

I think it is a beautiful game, and I actually like the combat.

But it was an absolute bore fest that I had to drag myself through. I never played the original so I don't have nostalgia helping me either.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Ah yes, the game where you're famously dressed up in drag and compete in a male/male dance off — that somehow managers to be entirely LGBT respectful throughout— is such a typical male fantasy.
Ah yes a 5 minute segment in a 35 hour game. My mistake.

Also thanks for reminding me about chapter 9 where you play dress up for the two waifus and get a glimpse at what goes on behind the doors in the Honey Bee Inn.

If someone wants to deny that most JRPGs including FF7 remake are not power fantasy wet dreams for teenage boys, then by all means don't let me stop you.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I don't see how 1 scene makes it up for everything. The game is a male power fantasy, it really gets close to be a harem bait.

Also, about that character, obviously my opinion but I don't think it's very LGBT respectful making
the only LGTB character on the game being literally a sex trafficker for Corneo, with the game hadwaving it (or more like literally ignoring it).
, but that's just me, maybe LGTB people disagree.

Mind you I think it is a case of tonedeaf writting, obviously don't think it was the intention.

Anyways..

starting-screen-final-fantasy-7-remake-aerith-vs-tifa.jpg

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
I agree with you OP.
It's a cringe-fest on multiple levels: character design, "quest" (if you can call them that) design and all. Story takes the cake, though. Wait until you get to that garbage fire that is the ending.

EDIT: also cheers to all the people condoning anime mannerisms "because they're anime girls". Can't ever be time to make something right, huh? If there's any game that deserved better than its remake being turned into an anime crap-fest it's FFVII. How anyone could like that Roche bit is beyond me. There's finesse even in doing anime anime "exaggerated" sequences, this game (as well as nomura and modern square writers) has none.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019
Even when the guitar version of Still More Fighting finally shows up (during the Airbuster boss fight), they still felt the need to throw in a bunch of random choirs in there, just to make everything more bombastic and overwrought, and it's silly and out of place.
I'm not much of a Final Fantasy connoisseur but continue to be blown away by the music to FF6, 7 and 8. Because of that I've tried to get into new FF music, but often come away with the feeling that the energy is constantly turned up to 11. Impact is made through contrast; if there's no contrast, even the epic gets boring quickly. So paradoxically, modern FF music doesn't make much of an impact to me precisely *because* it's trying to be maximally impactful all of the time.

The slower tracks seem to do something similar: they turn the original intent up to 11, which turns Aerith's theme from something charmingly sentimental into borderline sappy. It seems to be a conscious decision from a directorial standpoint, because the musical talent and budget involved is off the charts.

Maybe I've been listening to the wrong tracks, so I remain hopeful to find that tasteful modern FF music one day =P .

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
The pacing in general is easily the worst part of the game. Running back and forth doing shitty side quests for a couple of hours and then continuing the main quest only to find out that they padded the hell out of every single moment of the original is exhausting. The great thing about Midgar in the original is its tight pacing, you constantly feel like you're progressing with the story. That feeling was obviously going to be lost with Square making this section an entire game, but I really think they could've done much, much better with the new content.

I like the combat well enough, find the overwhelming praise a bit baffling but I prefer it to the usual FF fare, it's a bit more engaging.