• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I was waiting for a PC port of FF7R so I could mod out all the things about it that would inevitably annoy me. But, well, it dropped on PS+ and you can't beat free, so here I am, finally playing this for real. I tried the demo when it came out and while the nostalgia factor was strong, I didn't like the gameplay much. This hasn't been improving with the full game, in fact, I think it's getting worse...

Let's see. I am currently at the Wall Market (chapter 9 I think). Explored it a bit, but saved for the night before reaching Don Corneo's mansion.

- Combat.
Full disclosure: I do not like Real-Time-with-Pause combat. Never have. So, I am obviously biased against the game here. But I suppose I can explain what I really dislike about it: it's essentially the worst of both worlds. It's mediocre action combat constantly interrupted by commands input which I find really tedious, with lots of chaotic elements going on that are beyond your control. And yes I'm playing it "right" and not button mashing. I'm using skills to stagger enemies and then spam my strongest damaging skills while they're down, I optimize my materia/weapon skills/etc. as best I can, I even peeked at this thread and I'm not seeing anything I'm doing that go against the general tips there. I am experienced with RPGs and I am not struggling with the combat. I just dislike it, the whole flow of it, it's tedious and annoying for the most part, and just not fun to play. I don't see this changing. Bring back full ATB or even pure turn-based, or go FULL action like Ys games do. Not this in-between shit. And worse, this is setting trends, as I'm hearing future Kiseki games may be inspired by this system, FML. "Fuck off nowadays JRPGs" - someone, probably me

- Pacing and side-quests.
Okay WTF. What is this 2008 quest design horseshit? Killing rats or drones in an area I've already explored? Then making me return there yet again for part 2 or 3 of the quest? Are you fucking kidding me? The game has done this repeatedly to me now. Absolute filler, bottom-tier side-quests that make the lamest Ubisoft sidequest seem downright clever in comparison. "Just skip them", you might say, but I always fear missing out on materia and such, and who knows if there is actually one side-quest out there that's worth doing and I miss it, I don't know in advance if it'll be a decent one or not and I do have a bit of a completist side sadly, so I do have to check them out. But optional is no defense for outright terrible content, anyway. (At least they do offer to teleport you back at the quest giver right after it completes, I'll give them that)

- Pacing, again - more padding shit
This game is sometimes pure torture to play. Remember all the forced slow-walk sections we complain about in Naughty Dog games? It has so many of those it'd make ND blush. Hell sometimes you can't dash around for no apparent reason. There's no dialogue you have to hear or vistas you are forced to look at, but still, you are moving like a turtle in this section because... reasons. Oh and the game loves to wrestle control away from you to force you into these "cinematic" little segment like that because, of course.
Oh remember those "can't go there, go back into the story/combat zone!" warnings from the PS360 days that annoyed us all? Boy does this game like to hold your hand that way too.
Look, a dead end, except your character could totally climb over that minor obstacle or even squeezed through narrower passages before? No matter, do a detour where you operate a bunch of crane mini-games in an incredibly tedious manner, adding several minutes to what should have taken 5 seconds to traverse. People made fun of the ladder/raft sections in TLoU, but FF7R takes this nonsense to parody levels and somehow make them even more boring. There's no challenge there, no puzzle to figure out, no simple excuse for more additional combat encounters or whatnot... it's pure padding, a total slog.

- The women.
Oh boy. Aerith and Tifa are both terrible, honestly. My expectations were low, since, well, I'm familiar with JRPG tropes, but they ended up being worse than I expected. I'm not really gonna go into Tifa's design because that's a tired conversation (I will mention that the camera is verrrry male-gazey around her though), but I want to talk about their body language/animation and mannerisms. They do not behave like people; they are waifu/anime school-girl caricatures. You know what I mean, right? The constant leaning forward with arms behind the back (no one does that IRL, ever), the raising of both fists at shoulder level in cutesy excitement, and so on -- stuff that actual adult women never do; hell, even kids don't behave that way, not past the age of 10. They are infantilized, saccharine, insipid, cutesy waifu bait. It's even worse with the high fidelity graphics, honestly, because it gives a horrible uncanny valley to everything and makes it stand out even more.

What irritated me the most is probably their running animation. It's parody level. They are not running or sprinting, they are prancing, with their arms flailing about daintily in some complete caricature of what it would look like if you asked someone to "run like a girl". Like, was this mo-capped? If so, who directed the mocap actresses so I can wish for them to step on legos every day forevermore?

Since we're on the women, I want to talk about Jessie a little bit. Jessie was not as bad as I feared, but was a bit of a missed opportunity. Her boob armour is obviously stupid and distracting, but whatever (yes I know it's the original design, it was bad then too), that's not what I want to talk about. Basically, she's turned into yet more waifu material for Cloud, and that's annoying. However, I will say that I actually find her far more likeable than Aerith and Tifa. She flirts aggressively, and is obviously horny for Cloud, but... the way she's written makes her at least more relatable/human than the other two, somehow? Like she behaves more or less the way I'd expect a normal, flirty woman to behave. The thirst gags ran for a bit too long, but it was at least kind of amusing, I guess. That said, they could have done a lot more with her character than reduce her to "bomb engineer who's thirsty for Cloud", and that kind of sucks.

Basically, a lot of the characters in FF7R are flanderized version of their original selves, I could talk about how they've done Sephiroth dirty too, but the women fare worse here.

- Stupid new shit
Speaking of flanderization... yes the OG had some cartoonish, goofy stuff of course, but nothing as cringy as Roche the douche. Who added this and why? That shit isn't funny or cool or entertaining. It's just flat-out dumb, like what a boomer thinks the kids think is cool these days or something (inbefo someone says "but you're the boomer"/Principal Skinner meme.jpg). It wouldn't feel out of place in Trails of Cold Steel, and that's honestly not a compliment. Even McBurn isn't that cringy, and his name is McBurn FFS, do you know how low of a bar that is? xD

- The music
I continue to be baffled at the constant praise for the soundtrack. It was incredibly disappointing in the demo, but I was promised the full game would change my mind. It sure has shit hasn't, 9 chapters in. Not a single track in the remake so far has been an improvement over the OGs except maybe Underneath the Rotting Pizza which is about similar I guess. New tracks that I don't recognize don't impress me either. Often gone are the punchy synths, replaced with generic and overdone orchestrations. Even when the guitar version of Still More Fighting finally shows up (during the Airbuster boss fight), they still felt the need to throw in a bunch of random choirs in there, just to make everything more bombastic and overwrought, and it's silly and out of place. Even Aerith's theme is weaker. The original had an elegant simplicity to it that worked perfectly, the remake slows it down and makes it a more soaring/swelling orchestrated type and it's frankly boring.

So... why am I still playing, you might ask?

Fair question. I guess I don't have a whole lot to play at the moment, it's free, and, being real honest, the setting and the nostalgia is doing all of the heavy lifting here. I do enjoy some parts of the game. Cloud's characterization seems strong and accurate to the original and I enjoy his "whatever, asshole" attitude as much now as I did then. Barret is very cool too and massively improved over the original. Traversing through Midgar in a fully realized 3D world is pretty dope (when they actually let me explore). Having played the OG about 2 decades ago, I still remember the major plot points but not all of the finer details, and revisiting the story has been enough motivation to keep going... for now, at least.

But this remains a pretty bad video game. Perhaps my opinion will change as I play more (doubt.jpg). I heard good things about this Wall Market section (though so far I don't see the fuss, it looks kinda cool I guess). Speaking of, I'm gonna hop on the TV and play that now. We'll see how well my opening post ages, I suppose. :D

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish the world had more mediocre games then.

For my first Final Fantasy I really liked it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I agree, the pacing is god awful.

"You need to go to point A to point B, but hey there's a problem so you need to take the longer path" 20 times.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think it has the best combat in any JRPG. Can't believe how well they designed it tbh. Really didn't find the game padded more than any other JRPG. Persona 5 is far more padded

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I found nothing about FFVIIR mediocre. It was filled with both nostalgia and new perspectives. The only JRPG that gave it a run for its money was Yakuza last year.

If this is a pretty "bad" game/JRPG then the rest of the genre must be dog shit.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 90% of it was phenomenally well made.

I just didn't like the plot changes and the way they smeared Sephiroth all over the game.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all of this! I still somewhat enjoyed the game by the end of it, so I wouldn't call it bad, but it felt extremely dragged out. There were definitely some highlights - I thought the boss designs were extremely good. But overall it felt like very highly-polished absolute nonsense. I didn't have much nostalgia or even fond memories of the original though, but I at least played as much of the original as this game covers. It felt like 'the Hobbit movie part 1' of games haha.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think FF7R has my favorite combat in a game, ever. Playing through the game on hard mode gave me a real appreciation for everything.

With that said. Yes the characters are tropes. The side quests are generally terrible.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud when I first saw Aerith run.

This game is such a self insert male fantasy.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Cool impressions. I agree on most points, particularly the cutesy waifu nonsense. Being there for all the side media, compilation stuff has weathered me on this to a degree so depending on what you've consumed you may not have the same resistance to how the women are handled here. I enjoyed the combat more than you by the sounds of it and I do love the soundtrack though but that's on it being a great remix of the original rather than its own thing, nostalgia overload.

So..... only at wall market and already not on board with the stupid new sh!t and Sephiroth huh? Brace yourself lol.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pacing and side quests are legitimate gripes, but going after the music and combat, ya done goofed.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Found it fine, nice visuals and tone, bloated and disorganized as hell. Found the combat passable, it did the job, but doesn't lit the world on fire. I had fun, but I'm not hyped for the subsequent parts.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the pacing complaints but otherwise I found the game to be amazing.

As for the story changes, I am waiting until I see the full body of work to make any judgements.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I disagree about the combat. Its absolutely satisfying to me as an action rpg fan, aside from aerial combat and barrett combat.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Pacing is the only thing I really agree with. I think Aerith and Tifa were brilliant, and the combat was some of my favourite JRPG combat of all time.

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
the pacing sucks but the combat and music are so good it's worth fighting through the occasional slog.

also roche owns

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I love this game but "waifu dating simulator" isn''t totally inaccurate, in describing it.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I think the game is fun and the soundtrack/visuals are fantastic. However, I do feel those pacing issues where the game felt like a slog to get through. I definitely believe it is heavily carried by nostalgia

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As an absolute FF7 nerd, I'm with you OP. I felt kinda bummed out playing it.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There's plenty of stuff I don't like about JRPGs, but the anime tropes are the biggest issue for me. I wasn't raised on anime, so those cutesy behaviours and animations just drive me nuts. And because they're something that spans the length of most games, they're difficult to ignore.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
FF7 R is mediocre? You must have pretty high standards OP. What recent /modern JRPGs do you like?
Even when the guitar version of Still More Fighting finally shows up (during the Airbuster boss fight), they still felt the need to throw in a bunch of random choirs in there, just to make everything more bombastic and overwrought, and it's silly and out of place.
Your opinion is wrong. It's amazing

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Agree on everything except the combat which when it came together is one of my favourite from an FF game, as well as the music because that was easily one of the best soundtracks of the year. Game is absolutely carried by the music and boss fights.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel the same about a lot of the stuff. I'm very 'meh' about the remake; found the combat totally unfun, the forced walking and revisiting areas for shitty quests were obnoxious (especially when you had to do a bunch of forced slow walking/squeezing to do those quests), and music was very blegh except for like that one new theme where the machine cranes are which was super great. The character models were fantastic, but so many areas looked really ugly with texture and skybox issues, as well as super flat lighting. While I have always really liked Aerith and didn't have a problem with her or Jesse's mannerisms (I tend to like those over-the-top anime movements, although it bothers me when it's only applied to female characters), I really really hated that one chapter with Tifa showing you around where she was super over the top cutsie about all of it. Felt super ass weird and uncomfortable, and she pretty much never acted like that again (at least not much) for the rest of the game.

And while you didn't mention it, personally speaking, I really hated how linear the game was. Like, people complain about XIII being a walking simulator but at least that was beautiful. So many areas of FF7 are really ugly, and with how sparsely placed and pre-determined the enemies were, it made revisiting anywhere a dragging slog. Maybe part of it is I really liked XIII's combat while I really disliked FF7R's, which might have just exacerbated the problem for me.

I very strongly disagree with you about Roche, though. I hated practically everything else new (the whispers, the (ending twist spoilers) surprise! it's a sequel! bullshit and everything that entails, etc), but I fucking loved Roche. He is extra as fuck and like the only new thing I really look forward to seeing and exploring in the next titles lol.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I agree with you. I was also waiting for the potential PC release but ended buying the game at full price (ugh). I enjoyed bits and pieces, but overall was very disappointed.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mostly agree with your criticisms, except for the combat, which I adored. Edit: And the soundtrack.

Even if subsequent entries go off into stupid-land in terms of story additions or compilation integration, at least it'll be a joy to play.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 R is mediocre? You must have pretty high standards OP. What recent /modern JRPGs do you like?
Your opinion is wrong. It's amazing

Like virtually all aspects of the remake, it's cool at first and then rampantly wears out its welcome because the composers don't know when to leave well enough alone.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
It's kinda lame...

Ten years ago, if you told me that the yakuza team made an rpg I'd care more about than an FF7 remake, I would have laughed at you

But the only moments where I felt stuff in the ff7 remake were parts of the original game while in like a dragon, I'm laughing, cheering, and tearing up at characters I've never met before

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Okay there may be hope for Aerith yet

"Requesting permission to kill" is a good line and I dig it

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Agreed 100%

It's saving graces are the combat and characters, everything else felt so archaic. Can't believe it was almost GOTY

The sidequests are dogshit

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, I'm not a fan at all of certain story changes and what they did to Sephiroth. Also, yeah, what the hell is up with these side quests? How does such a high budget game (that's only a tiny part of a larger one) have such boring and half-assed side quests? Come on, SE. I KNOW you can do better than this shit.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Combat is the BEST of two worlds.
It's interesting how polarizing the combat is. To me, it's basically a modern flavor of the original FF7's ATB system, but you don't have to sit around watching nothing happen as the bars fill up only to then burn your bar on a simple "attack" command. Instead, you're virtually always attacking while your ATB builds up, and then you can burn your bar for more unique actions.

The minute-to-minute attacking (and defending) is basically window dressing; it gives you something to do/watch while ATB bars are filling up. Due to that, it feels more or less like an ATB-based turn battle system to me.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Though I respect your opinion, I couldn't disagree more with you on pretty much everything. This is probably my personal game of the generation, the combat system is the best I've ever experienced in a J-RPG, the story and characters are incredibly compelling, the music is amazing... And my favorite game ever is the original FFVII, so my expectations were really high.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. I am usually a pretty easy going person and can find positives in most games.

I was beyond excited that it released almost two weeks early in Aus (due to incoming lockdown and retailers getting it early).
But the more I played the more I realised it wasn't for me. I got to around chapter 8 and had no will to keep playing, I have very little time to play and just wasn't enjoying it very much. The pacing, padding, long corridor sections, the writing for most of the chars, combat, not even a basic level of teammate A.I. (yes i know the intention behind this but even a super simple battle grid would have helped my enjoyment), npcs that looked from a different game and inconsistent visual quality really put me off.

I can see why so many people love it, the quality of the character models and when the combat gets going it can be a wild ride.
But as someone who loved the original and went in with a very open mind and ready for something new it just never clicked. I actually played through the orginal again after and got more fun out of it.

I felt like the odd person out reading through the OP as more people got the game after the official release (people praising Jessie's character etc).
Though I was happy so many people enjoyed it, especially as it was during a pretty crappy time Covid wise.

Anyway might need to try and actually finish it one day.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to report I had the opposite reaction to the game. Loved it and can't wait to replay it this summer!

Oct 31, 2017
I love FFVIIR but at the same time I acknowledge that it has a lot of flaws and even though it makes me sad, I can understand people not thinking it's the bee's knees.

-this is the worst case of linearity I've experienced in a JRPG. At least XIII always allowed you to run around and grind with respawning enemies; here, you can't even do that. XIII also had Gran Pulse at least
-the slow walking and loading masks are torturous unless I'm mentally prepared for them
-Chapters 6 and 14 were 100% unnecessary, and Chapter 7's copy/paste design was really bad.

As for the combat system, I dunno. I will say that when I wasn't playing it efficiently (it feels like you're supposed to be attacking/switching/pausing to use an ability/pausing to command another party member CONSTANTLY, like every 2 seconds. And I love that) it felt unfun and messy. The thing is you're supposed to not just switch your characters frequently, but also what you're doing. But I get it. If this type of combat doesn't gel with you then it doesn't gel with you. Just like, for me, I feel like no matter what I will never find MMO-style combat with auto attacks and cool downs like FFXIV or Xenoblade "fun"

Fortunately I think for future installments padding won't be an issue; if anything they're probably freaking out about fitting everything that they need to. Loading masks also won't be an issue. I pray that they figured out that no one likes slow walking segments.

And I love Business Division 1; they're my favorite branch of SE by far. But my fucking god dudes stop making things so restrictive and overly linear!!! Get a new level designer. Please. Exploring is fun and we don't mean open worlds. Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XIII, World of Final Fantasy, FFVIIR: all of them have slow starts and all of them have boring level design. But with VIIR it's the most egregious because 99% of enemies don't respawn and you can't even have some downtime to grind and enjoy the combat. The only hope you have for extra combat is doing the boring ass sidequests until the colosseum and the arena

Last edited:

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you aren't wrong with a lot of those points. I'm conflicted overall because I'm getting enjoyment out of it, but it also has its issues. Combat though I now love and feel like it was done well for a hybrid of ATB/real time. I was not feeling it when I first played the game at release, but I dropped it maybe halfway through after a month, picked it up again a few weeks ago, and somehow I love the combat now.

The stuff you pointed out in regards to the women, that's not the kind of stuff that I really pay any attention to, but now that you mention the stuff with their mannerisms and behavior I feel like you're right. Lol @ the stuff with the running animations. Thinking about Aerith running right now you've perfectly described it.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
In my top 5 games of 2020. It has flaws - forced slow walking, some dull side quests, squeeze through wall cracks - but everything else was fantastic. Combat was fantastic, story was told very well, soundtrack was INCREDIBLE, and I personally enjoyed the ending.

Can't wait for the PS5 patch to drop to replay in Hard.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I respect this as anyone should, but it's always a bit of a :/ when I see folks coming to my easy GOTY 2020 and not walking away half as happily.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on the game like 4 or 5 hours in.
The combat was just really fucking boring.

I'm glad that other people hate the weird fucking anime bullshit girls do in Japanese games though.
It's so off putting to me, I will never understand why that is considered attractive.