• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
FFVII was a game I never played because I wasn't a PS1-person when I was a kid (I was all about the vastly superior console: The N64 and Ocarina of Time, baby.) But you'd be hard-pressed to never hear of Final Fantasy let alone see all the iconic screens and marketing for FFVII. It's like I didn't know what it was but I would always know what it looked like. Suffice it to say, getting into the Remake was a treat, as someone who has never actually seen the original through.

I finished FFVIIR last week on my PS4. Here's a few blurbs about it.
  • Incredible, slick implementation of cutscenes and gameplay.
  • Amazing conversion of the "semi-realtime" combat that FFVII created but in actual real-time.
  • Characters you quickly grow to love thanks to fantastic cinematics design, writing and performances (even the english dub is fantastic, minus anime-grunts!)
  • The "part 1" aspect of the remake has a fitting close-off point I would say.
  • But there's of course some controversy everyone's talking about:
I've discussed my theories and understanding of the ending in many other threads. Instead I'll give my take as a "new player": Incomprehensible. It seems like Square is pissing off veterans with this stuff, but they're also completely confusing newcomers. Even ignoring everything that happens inside the singularity the way they introduce it at the dead end on the road it felt like the tone and mood of all the characters changed, and became increasingly illogical. Instead of asking "What will I find in there?" Tifa says "What will we find on the other side?" and really, all I kind of wanted was for one of these guys to say "What the hell is that?" because at this point in the story even with materia and magic, nothing of this calibre of nonsense has been revealed before, and no one should be this complicit with it.

So I'm here, full of questions and anticipations for Part 2 that we may not see until 2023, but we're all in an FFVII mood, so here I am playing the original on the Switch. I played FFVII once before, but never got too far in it. I made it to the part when you leave midgar, on the old PC version, and then my game hit a game-breaking scene that caused me to give up on the playthrough. So, I've never seen anything beyond part 2 or SPOILER ALERT (That character that dies and everyone knows about it from everyone who played FFVII!). Pretty exciting, and immediately there has been things that jumped in my face.

The pacing. Like, holy shit, we knew Remake would pad things out because that's the devil's deal when you remake something in "The Hobbit" style. It really wasn't a surprise but even so, going back to OG after the remake it's almost crazy just how concise and brief its writing and depiction of the scenarios are. Often it's a plus, but there's actually a couple of areas so far where I think the remake did a much better job at pulling me into the world and making me care.

So, a few things I've experienced so far:
  • The mako 5 intro. Again, incredibly short, even shorter than I remembered, but the intro sequence itself... man, that part is so good that I really feel like the Remake didn't live up to it, now that I rewatch it. The continued focus on the "stars" in the first couple of seconds before pulling the camera into midgar and Aerith has a feeling of intent to it that the remake has replaced with more "realistic" stuff, like showing the citizen and the city. I really love theme and symbolism and this part is great. Even in that Windows-style midi the music still gives you chills. A testament to great composition.
  • I keep talking to Jessie, Biggs and Wedge and then I remember how we almost don't get to know them before they're out of the story.
  • Really cool, for its time, how this game blends adventure-game style text-boxes but lets you occasionally walk around during them. They have actual "set-pieces" in these chibi-graphics and pre-rendered backgrounds. Cinematics, but also gameplay-pieces like running through the train with a timer on it. Here, the original also does a better job at keeping the player in the game than the remake did (forced walking and forced transitory segments are very dull)
  • The distance between areas is so short it keeps surprising me. From the second Mako Reactor mission to meeting Aerith to suddenly having to cross-dress to get in at Don Corneo's place is so brisk that I can't believe I've already seen all that.
I'm surprised to see just how much of the dialogue is actually retained in the remake. The part where Aerith, Tifa and Cloud threaten Don Corneo is almost line for line, and it's great. Overall it brings to memory how faithful the remake still is.

But there's some problems too. I think the writing in the original suffers from localization that's in the same realm as Ocarina of Time's but it's also maybe worse? It's so reliant on characters and writing that sometimes I have to stop up and say to myself "Who would ever talk like that?" It seems like a lot of lines got translated out of context, not that it's incomprehensible but it can seem incongruent at times.

2340screenshot4.png

But the game is cute and I'm interested to see where the story actually goes past Midgar. I remember seeing the overworld once. I'm also curious how that will be done in Part 2 of the remake, by the way.

Oh, and the Switch port is great right now. It's stable, no issues with the music and the speed-up feature is nice.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Nice write up, I enjoyed the read.

Does the game also let you skip battles, do 9999 damage etc? It being turn based (and the SLOW kind of turn based) means I have no interest in the gameplay, but kind of interested to play the rest of the story after playing VIIR

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Nice write up, I enjoyed the read.

Does the game also let you skip battles, do 9999 damage etc? It being turn based (and the SLOW kind of turn based) means I have no interest in the gameplay, but kind of interested to play the rest of the story after playing VIIR
You can turn off random encounters and there's one other thing (I forget), so basically you can play at 3x speed and disable a lot of the filler combat once you're at a good level. I think the original balance is surprisingly good as well. Combats are brief and definitely not too hard in the early hours, which is great for a game this old.

Oct 30, 2017
FFVIIR is amazing game, very well done and one of the best we had in the last decade.

But also the original FFVII is a masterpiece, still till this day even after the release of the Remake one of the greatest games ever made.. unforgettable experience in every way :-)))

Always glad to hear someone experiencing my favorite game of all time and enjoy it.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
They may have fixed some of the egregious glitches with the Switch version since release, but it's still one of the worst versions of the game to ever exist, visually. It looks soooooooo much worse than the PS1 original.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Yes FFVII has aged like a fine wine. It's incredible how this game holds up despite its flaws. What a ride it always is for me every time I re-do the game.

On a side note, I strongly believe the best version is still the OG PS1 version. The re-release all have small issues that I cannot get over, though I believe the PC version can be modded to fix them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They may have fixed some of the egregious glitches with the Switch version since release, but it's still one of the worst versions of the game to ever exist, visually. It looks soooooooo much worse than the PS1 original.
All the current gen versions are identical now. They fixed the music glitch on the PS4 version.

I have the original but I can't go back without the added qol stuff.

Rattlethyhead

Jan 7, 2019
I'm doing the same, and it's been fantastic. I wish I would have played the game years ago. That said, now is about the perfect time. The game holds up, and I'm loving the music. If you loved the world and story of the remake, I really recommend it.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat deciding if I should play the original FFVII after beating Remake. Sounds like it's a good idea. Tried playing on psp years ago but for some reason the game did not grab me.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I've been watching these videos that Tim Rogers did about the localization where he played through in Japanese and English, and yeah, there are some very odd translations here and there. Worth watching.

www.youtube.com

Let's Mosey: A Slow Translation Of Final Fantasy VII: Part Nine

Final Fantasy VII is going to kill me. This is part nine of my series exploring the minuscule language nuance differences between the original Japanese scrip...

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I've been wanting to start a replay too. PS4 version is on sale but I'm also constantly thinking it may be better to play handheld on switch. I could always go back to the Vita version but I think I'd like the QOL features.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
On a side note, I strongly believe the best version is still the OG PS1 version. The re-release all have small issues that I cannot get over, though I believe the PC version can be modded to fix them.
I would actually love to get a real PS1 and play it on a CRT television :3

I think a lot of us tend to forget part of the impressiveness to old games was that, because they ran at low resolutions on screens with low clarity, that lack of detail masked all that would've made it appear unimpressive. Greatest example is if you play Resident Evil REmake on a Gamecube at 480i compared to its remaster at 1080p. There's just no denying that although the 480i looks pixelated and dull at first, once you've adjusted to it your mind starts filling in all the details and the graphics start to appear photorealistic, like an old recording where you're convinced what lies beyond the compression is real people.

I think the worst aspect of FFVII on Switch is that the pre-rendered backgrounds are extremely blurry but the character models are big and chunky because of the resolution. But even that I've sort of adjusted to. The fully 3D rendered combat scenes look fantastic though.
I've been wanting to start a replay too. PS4 version is on sale but I'm also constantly thinking it may be better to play handheld on switch.
Only get it on PS4 if you are a sucker for trophies. I'm quite enjoying the more "classic" feeling of playing on Switch where it's just me and the game.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017

I think a lot of us tend to forget part of the impressiveness to old games was that, because they ran at low resolutions on screens with low clarity, that lack of detail masked all that would've made it appear unimpressive. Greatest example is if you play Resident Evil REmake on a Gamecube at 480i compared to its remaster at 1080p. There's just no denying that although the 480i looks pixelated and dull at first, once you've adjusted to it your mind starts filling in all the details and the graphics start to appear photorealistic, like an old recording where you're convinced what lies beyond the compression is real people.

I think the worst aspect of FFVII on Switch is that the pre-rendered backgrounds are extremely blurry but the character models are big and chunky because of the resolution. But even that I've sort of adjusted to. The fully 3D rendered combat scenes look fantastic though.

Only get it on PS4 if you are a sucker for trophies. I'm quite enjoying the more "classic" feeling of playing on Switch where it's just me and the game.
You know, I never thought about the switch's lack of a trophy system being good for appreciating a game, but I like that.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You know, I never thought about the switch's lack of a trophy system being good for appreciating a game, but I like that.
I like Trophies and all, but there are just some games where it feels like it's spoiling them. I do wish there was something akin to play-coins though. Something not dependant on the game, but some system-feature you could use in the game for extra stuff.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will also replay the original sometime soon, as a way to refresh myself and wait for Remake Part 2. I think the remake doesn't replace the original, and you can play and get different types of enjoyment out of the old and new versions. The original I think is more atmospheric at times with the music as well, without voices constantly drowning out the themes, and the more creepy and emotional vibe of the simpler original tunes.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I like Trophies and all, but there are just some games where it feels like it's spoiling them. I do wish there was something akin to play-coins though. Something not dependant on the game, but some system-feature you could use in the game for extra stuff.
I can agree with that. I've definitely enjoyed my play through for Witcher on switch for that.

I'll definitely give the switch port of FF7 a purchase

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Funny y'all mention this.

I asked my dad the other day could he try find my old "final fantasy cd case" which was a regular cd case with all my final fantasy games in it. Well he found it and brought it over yesterday.

All my final fantasy games from my childhood!

SxtPZet_d.webp

The best part was that there was a memory card in the case and it contained all my PS1 saves from when I was a child 😭

4R8rSVs_d.webp

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I asked my dad the other day could he try find my old "final fantasy cd case" which was a regular cd case with all my final fantasy games in it. Well he found it and brought it over yesterday.

SxtPZet_d.webp

The best part was that there was a memory card in the case and it contained all my PS1 saves from when I was a child 😭

4R8rSVs_d.webp
I love stories like this. :D

Oct 29, 2017
But there's some problems too. I think the writing in the original suffers from localization that's in the same realm as Ocarina of Time's but it's also maybe worse? It's so reliant on characters and writing that sometimes I have to stop up and say to myself "Who would ever talk like that?" It seems like a lot of lines got translated out of context, not that it's incomprehensible but it can seem incongruent at times.

2340screenshot4.png

That's exactly what happened. Back in the day, it was common for localisers to just be handed a Microsoft Excel document with all the strings of Japanese text in the game (Japanese developers used to love using Excel for everything! From map layouts to text string allocation, chances are that it was all lumped into a big Excel spreadsheet!) and given no context as to what the dialogue was for. It was up to them to play through the game (in Japanese) to figure it out for themselves.

Ocarina of Time's localisation was not representitive of the standard of the era at all. Nintendo were near enough a whole decade ahead of everyone else; with NOA Treehouse being established in 1992 (getting its name in 1994) and the team working alongside the Japanese developers as the game was actually being made (something that was otherwise completely unheard of within the industry until the 2000s). FF7's localisation was... ok for the time; actually a step down from Ted Woolsey's excellent work on the SNES, but pretty much middle of the road as far as the era goes.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Ocarina of Time's localisation was not representitive of the standard of the era at all. Nintendo were near enough a whole decade ahead of everyone else; with NOA Treehouse being established in 1992 (getting its name in 1994) and the team working alongside the Japanese developers as the game was actually being made. FF7's localisation was... ok for the time; actually a step down from Ted Woolsey's excellent work on the SNES, but pretty much middle of the road as far as the era goes.
I know there are fan translations (which I'm told have their own problems) but I would really like to see a remaster of PS1 FFVII where it gets an official re-localization. I actually commonly see people critique FFVII OG for bad "writing" and I think with proper localization people would put their stance on the game up a notch, because I believe the writing underneath the translation is good.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

I completely agree with you on this. I tend to play all my retro games from the golden age on a plasma TV with an XRGB3. This gives the proper CRT look, or very, very close to it.

Another option that is really good is to play the game on Retroarch, using Beetle PSX and a shader, such as the CRT Royale 240p S-Video one. This mimics the CRT look with surprising accuracy. That's what I'm doing in fact when I want to play retro games on the go. I play on my laptop instead, but that way.

SxtPZet_d.webp

4R8rSVs_d.webp

Those crushed PAL games :(

Still, the feeling of recovering this cd case must have been great :)

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I played the entirety of Midgar shortly before the remake came out. It was neat to see the differences.

My plan is to finish remake, then slowly chip away at FF7 on switch over the next several years while waiting for more chapters of remake

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome I pretty much did the exact same as you and completed the OG. A fantastic game indeed. How far are you in game?

Also be sure to replay the remake after. It's a whole new experience with the knowledge of the original.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

SxtPZet_d.webp

4R8rSVs_d.webp
That's cool. I resold a lot of games as a kid so I could buy new ones, but I still have a CD case with a lot of the remaining games and ones I decided to keep for my collection for collection's sake.

I still have copies of SaGa Frontier 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, and FF Anthology (V and VI), at least.

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Same OP, never played the original back in the day because I was an N64 kid. Just got done with the remake and I have a hankering to try it out on my Switch. Wish it'd go back to being on sale (50%) such as it was for most of March!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just started up again my PS4 copy, and yeah, the game plays really well, especially with the x3 speed you can initiate at will. Also the battle graphics are rendered pretty well.

I've said this before, but the opening sequence to the original FF VII is one of the best video game opening sequences of all time. Just how cool it is, how it transitions, and how much it conveys in a quick time, and throwing you right into the action. The Remake does it pretty well, but by making it this huge 40 minute mission, they sort of lost the quick and fast vibe of the original, though it's still great in the Remake.

I'm gonna continue playing it again slowly throughout the week, reliving it. There's still something undeniably nostalgic about the sound and feel of classic Final Fantasy games.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the same! Although I did play it when I was a kid but only once, so lots of stuff I don't remember.

I forgot that the original has some really nice quality of life stuff around scenario switching, letting you change up your materia and remove it from party members not in the current scene.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I restarted the OG on ps4 after playing ff7R. Never played the ps4 version of ff7 before, just ps1, goto say it's very blurry the background but I got over that. The 3x speed is amazing for grinding I got my main 3 characters all to level 85 just before the end of what would of been disc one. May buy ff8 and 9 for ps4 if both have the 3x speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Welp, that was Part 1.

Aerith's dead. I wish I didn't know this or had seen it. I can only imagine what it was like when the game was both groundbreaking visually and the moment wasn't spoiled.

Cait Sith is a weird companion and had a weird arc imo. Red XIII seems more like a side-story guy than a core crew member to me. Dirge of Cerberus guy has done exactly nothing important so far.

Generally speaking though, as much as I expect a lot of talk about life-source and planet-energy from the game's premise I really do feel this was the first "Kingdom Hearts" kind of game. Well, I can't say that, I've only ever played FFIV other than this. I just think Nojima is a writer of a certain taste. I'm still enjoying the story but some of the heavy hitting moments and ideas are actually more trope-ridden than I thought. Thankfully it's not time-travel, but there seems to be a lot of glorified nonsense. There's a lot of arbitrary rules "because world-building" that don't all seem as applicable to reality as the idea of Shinra polluting the world and the world dying because of being exploited. The core is great, but there's some fluff like the Black Materia or the talk of "Meteor" that is just kinda "wha...?"

But I can appreciate that they're at least focusing on the whole theme of the life of a planet or whatever. It still keeps Shinra relevant although they're much more absent throughout the game than I thought they would be. I do like how in true JRPG fashion you're going from one diverse area to the next and not just the cliched lava and ice levels, but areas of particular interest. This is kind of what Dark Souls revived into AAA games I think. In a time when action games had become the norm and games taking place in a single city. It's fun to go back and see where this standard came from.

But I do think about whether I'm that invested this late in the story. I don't know how much is left. You'd think this was the halfway point. Funny that. 15 hours into FFVII OG and I've just witnessed THAT moment. In the Remake you would spend 40 hours in Midgar alone lol, but I didn't mind it. They really made the stuff feel more fleshed out in the remake. It's still great here, especially all of the visual things they do along the way, and to some extent the writing. I gotta be honest, I still don't understand the deal with Cloud's identity, but it gives him moments to become more reflective and emotional which I suppose is good for his character arc. I just don't get what any of it means yet.

I have to say still, the game is showing its age in various ways beyond the obvious. Still very enjoyable though.