• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
lol. just brimming with creativity!

They have hints of it with Nick Valentine's. But otherwise it's almost a certainy no matter the setting or story will be the same kind of area, same kind of characters. Im excited to see the evolution of the fallout world like what is it like 100 years after or 200 but nope still killing super mutants and getting left over boxes of blamco mac and cheese from a grocery store that is somehow still like it always was and not totally plundered, still rubble in settlements even though it's been years and years!

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I recognize and acknowledge and agree with basically every bad thing that has been said about this game, but because of the time in my life that it came out and the ability it gave me to immerse myself in a world that wasn't my own for hours and days and weeks, it's still one of my favourite games of all time.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reason I was never able to finish Fallout New Vegas.
Despite how much better the writing is, the Mojave has to be the most uninteresting world I've ever played in. There's no atmosphere, no tension, it doesn't even feel post-apocalyptic.
If anything, I feel exactly the other way around about New Vegas: that is to say, that even New Vegas itself still feels TOO post-apocalyptic to me for where it supposedly takes place in the Fallout timeline, IIRC.

Like, in New Vegas, exactly how long has it been since the initial titular "fallout" happened?

How long has it been since people started emerging from various shelters?

Certainly not a short period of time, in any case.

But yet, even so, the world still looks like the bombs essentially just went off, with everything in ruins, with all kinds of dirt and dust and debris all over the floor everywhere, and all kinds of buildings in various states of disrepair.

When in reality, that long after things had happened, of course people would have gotten faaaaaaaaaaaar more of a move on on that, because nobody actually wants to live that way.

By the time these games take place, things if anything should look way, waaaaaaaaaaaay more normal than they actually do. Obviously not 100%, but at the same time, way more normal than they're depicted.

Like, if they want to make a game set around the first time people emerge from the shelters after everything that's happened, that's one thing.

But, like making stories that are, what, over a century after the initial disaster with people trickling out for decades, and everything still looking like that?

That's what takes me out of it if anything, that weird trying to have it both ways element for absolutely no reason I can possibly discern (because it would easily be fixed by just changing the setting, which has no reason to be what it is to begin with), and is just a super-bizarre reoccurring element of the franchise at this point for reasons I just don't get at all.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I can remember pretty much every nook and cranny of Fallout:NV's map, along with many of the quests.

My main memory of Fallout 3 is Nuketown and Washington DC being like a million tunnels with bits of city connecting them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Fallout 3 in the same way that I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. PB&Js aren't duck confit, but I still like eating them, and often times I'd rather eat a PB&J over duck confit. But, at the same time, I wouldn't publish my PB&J review in a Bon Apetit magazine, or something.

I think that the fact we're still talking about how secretly bad Fallout 3 was, 12-years after it's release, is a testament that Bethesda actually got a lot right in that game. It's not a worthy successor to Fallout 1 and 2, it's not a good RPG, it's a terrible shooter, it's unbalanced as hell, the story can be laughably hysterically bad for 95% of it, but there's enough that's good that it made in impact on enough people to still be worth talking about. Nobody really talks about how good or bad Call of Duty: World at War was, or Gears of War 2, or the Legend of Spyro. I really liked some of the light touches in the game; I liked the lore tucked into far away places that you could completely miss, the mini-story lines that you'd organically discover by wandering into a building and following through a 20-minute "dungeon" That has a complete story to it, beginning, middle, and end. I liked wandering the wastes and discovering a manhole cover which led to a cave which led to a secret Chinese hideaway with a spy in it from the Great War who had become a skeleton sitting at his computer. It's campy and silly, but I liked it. I liked the sidequest about the underground railroad and if synthetic humans were slaves or not, and how that tied into the Lincoln Memorial, it was campy, but there was a comfort to it.

Overall, I spent 100 or so hours playing Fallout 3, and for the most part, I really liked 80 of those hours; kinda liked 10 of them; was kinda meh about 5 of them; and then hated 5 of them and stopped playing the game at that point. This is my 'Bethesda Game enjoyment curve,' and if you keep playing Bethesda games beyond the curve taking a dive, the more you'll hate them.

Video is 90mins, will watch most of it.

Yeah, "missing family member," "family member in peril," "old friend in peril," etc are some of the laziest narrative push tropes in gaming, but because there's a ton of lazy narrative tropes in gaming, they're also the most popular. The sheer number of games where you need to find, save, or rescue your son, daughter, father, mother, wife, girlfriend, or what have you, is staggering. It's just the go-to for, "We want to move the player through a story and we have to give the player some reason to care about going through the game, so what's the lowest common denominator to provide motivation for the character that every player will understand......? YOU HAVE TO SAVE YOUR DAUGHTER.'" Even great games fall into this trope. There are a handful of games that I give EXTRA CREDIT for because they don't use that trope -- GTA:SA, GTA:VC, RDR2 come to mind. But, both RDR and most of GTAIV ("coooouuuuussssiiin") and many parts of GTAV fall into it (although in such a bizarre way because fuck all Michael's family is horrible and I can't imagine anybody wants to protect them). But even otherwise great games do it too. The Last of Us like, they give you the swerve at the beginning -- "This game won't be about saving your daughter [your niece] ... Even though you thought it was... PSYCHE SHE DIES IN YOUR ARMS!" Fast forward 5 minutes of game footage, "oh here's your new daughter avatar, the motivation for the game for you, player." Even some of my favorite games, like Dishonored 1, can't help but motivate the story through saving a child. It's just the go-to for lazy player motivation.

Kinda like how in movie tropes, "The Gun" is introduced in act 1 and is fired in act 3, if there's a son, daughter, mother, father, girlfriend, aunt, uncle, best friend, or whatever, introduced in the first 30 seconds of the game, that thing is going to face some calamity, and then after 10 minutes, that's going to be your motivation of a significant portion of the game: Solve your relationship-avatar's calamity.

Bethesda's games seemingly can't help but fall back on "WE NEED TO FIND YOUR SON" or "YOUR FATHER" or "YOUR FATHER IS YOUR SON."

SO for the games that move along without instantly relying on "you're here to save the avatar of your child/wife/son/father/whatever," I give them more credit -- New Vegas, for instance. New Vegas' motivation is entirely about discovering who you are, and I think that works especially well for a "Lone wanderer" gimmick in a game, you're making who you are while also discovering who you are, and it just fits. It's a shame that both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 have to go to the well.
To be fair, none of that is exclusive to games or storytelling in games. That's been a staple of action/thriller stories since action/thriller stories existed

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
My favorite Fallout game by some distance, and my favorite world design in any game ever. The Wasteland and DC are haunting.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
1748c178ed8be532-600x338.png

This still makes me laugh. Lmao.

I get they were trying to go for a thematic ending originally but maybe letting in your impervious companions was a bad idea.
Can some TLDR this ending?

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Fallout 4 has one of the worst openings in gaming. It's laughably bad.

Can't even remember how 3 starts it's been that long.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The ending of Fallout 3 has you going into a room full of radiation to sacrifice yourself to turn on the water purifier and save the wasteland. Alternatively if you wanted to be "evil" you could send in one of your followers instead to die... however Fawkes (the companion in the picture) is a Super Mutant and so he's completely immune to radiation anyway, making the whole idea stupid. Not sure how Bethesda didn't figure out that a major plot character who is also immune to radiation wouldn't be the first choice for this "choice".

Of course, that's with the Broken Steel DLC that "fixed" the ending. The original ending just had Fawkes tell you to go in and die anyway since it was your destiny or some shit.

Bethesda has trash writers.

Nov 2, 2018
  • There's a chamber full of radiation that someone needs to enter to save the day

• You can have two companions who are literally immune to radiation. One is a chill guy who says he'd rather not because it's your "destiny" to die doing something he could effortlessly do. The other person is a literal slave who cannot refuse any order you give, they also decline.

• You either enter it as a "hero" and die or refuse and a soldier girl who looked down upon you from day one, who belongs to an altruistic faction pledged to saving people, has to do it instead and basically calls you an asshole for not wanting to die. Your like 18 btw.

It's the least noble, most petty, spiteful, vile spewing self sacrifice I've ever seen. She all but gives everyone the finger before she heads in.

Last edited:

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The ending of Fallout 3 has you going into a room full of radiation to sacrifice yourself to turn on the water purifier and save the wasteland. Alternatively if you wanted to be "evil" you could send in one of your followers instead to die... however Fawkes (the companion in the picture) is a Super Mutant and so he's completely immune to radiation anyway, making the whole idea stupid. Not sure how Bethesda didn't figure out that a major plot character who is also immune to radiation wouldn't be the first choice for this "choice".

Of course, that's with the Broken Steel DLC that "fixed" the ending. The original ending just had Fawkes tell you to go in and die anyway since it was your destiny or some shit.

Bethesda has trash writers.

• There's a chamber full of radiation that someone needs to enter to save the day

• You can have two companions who are literally immune to radiation. One is a chill guy who says he'd rather not because it's your "destiny" to die doing something he could effortlessly do. The other person is a literal slave who cannot refuse any order you give, they also decline.

• You either enter it as a "hero" and die or refuse and a soldier girl who looked down upon you from day one, who belongs to an altruistic faction pledged to saving people, has to do it instead and basically calls you an asshole for not wanting to die. Your like 18 btw.

It's the least noble, most petty, spiteful, vile spewing self sacrifice I've ever seen. She all but gives everyone the finger before she heads in.
Hahaha, literally nothing could have prepated me for this.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, none of that is exclusive to games or storytelling in games. That's been a staple of action/thriller stories since action/thriller stories existed

For sure. I think there's generally more variety in storytelling in other forms of entertainment, where videogame storytelling is generally pretty one-note. Sure, there's a handful of games that break the norm each year, but the cheesy "save my daughter / save America / save the world" action movie is less common in other media (tv, books, movies) relative to the variety than in videogames, where it's probably the dominant story trope.

Videogames have generally had trouble getting players to care about the motivations of the characters. Some games do it masterfully and when they do I think they're almost more engaging than other media, but it's hard and so most games go to the well.

Nov 2, 2018
If anything, I feel exactly the other way around about New Vegas: that is to say, that even New Vegas itself still feels TOO post-apocalyptic to me for where it supposedly takes place in the Fallout timeline, IIRC.

Like, in New Vegas, exactly how long has it been since the initial titular "fallout" happened?

How long has it been since people started emerging from various shelters?

Certainly not a short period of time, in any case.

But yet, even so, the world still looks like the bombs essentially just went off, with everything in ruins, with all kinds of dirt and dust and debris all over the floor everywhere, and all kinds of buildings in various states of disrepair.

When in reality, that long after things had happened, of course people would have gotten faaaaaaaaaaaar more of a move on on that, because nobody actually wants to live that way.

By the time these games take place, things if anything should look way, waaaaaaaaaaaay more normal than they actually do. Obviously not 100%, but at the same time, way more normal than they're depicted.

Like, if they want to make a game set around the first time people emerge from the shelters after everything that's happened, that's one thing.

But, like making stories that are, what, over a century after the initial disaster with people trickling out for decades, and everything still looking like that?

That's what takes me out of it if anything, that weird trying to have it both ways element for absolutely no reason I can possibly discern (because it would easily be fixed by just changing the setting, which has no reason to be what it is to begin with), and is just a super-bizarre reoccurring element of the franchise at this point for reasons I just don't get at all.

I always found this hilarious. Megaton they have a public bathroom and no ones been bothered to pick up the rubble and trash in the corners for like 100 years or something

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it averaged over 90% across all platforms on Metacritic.

Guess everyone else was just wrong.
You're allowed to like it, but given it's been twelve years, I'd advise reflecting on what the game looks like now. Critics were super into the idea of morality systems back in '08. Nowadays that kind of binary system isn't perceived so glowingly. It leads to shallow, often comically imbalanced morals, ranging from Mass Effect's "give the Quarians a chance to work alongside the Geth on Rannoch" to "commit actual genocide" to Infamous 2's "sacrifice yourself to save the world" or "commit actual genocide".

Fallout 3's first moral decision is to either blow up Megaton, or don't blow up Megaton. Critics over a decade ago might've praised this as a moral quandary, but let's be real here: that's dumb as hell. The reason for you to blow up Megaton is nothing more than "It'll look cool lol", and Tenpenny is more or less motivated by the idea of not having a settlement blocking his view of... endless, vast wasteland. It's comically absurd, and the fact that karma commands much of the game's systems is just hilarious as hell to me. It's a system that's present in New Vegas, but it's telling how shallow a binary morality system is in a series like Fallout, based on how few elements in NV actually interact with it in comparison. Faction rep matters a lot more, and the interplay in faction loyalty is far more interesting than the one present in Fallout 3 (even if it's still limited by technical constraints).

That's my thoughts on the karma system, anyway. Fallout 3 is full of issues, ranging from comically easy (and terrible) combat, RNG skill checks (which outside of scant few interactables, only ever involve Speech), one of the worst stories Bethesda has ever written with depressingly bland villains, and a bevy of story elements that scream to me "Bethesda doesn't understand actual moral quandaries" and "you put the BoS and Enclave in your game because they're immediately recognizable to fans, not because they should be here."

There is absolutely stuff to like about Fallout 3, and I've played through the game multiple times (with a variety of awesome mods to improve the experience). However, IMO, there's a lot more bad than there is good. I'm not saying everyone who enjoys the game is wrong, but I don't accept for even a minute that it's one of the "best games ever made", as some people in this thread have said. They're allowed to hold that opinion, but I urge them to reflect on the game's core flaws to see the game for what it is: kinda below average.

And god damn, that ending just boggles my mind with how nauseatingly bad the writing is. Fawkes, Charon, and Sergeant RL-3 are all immune to radiation, and yet refuse to go into the water purifier to survive something that'd almost certainly doom you. Moreover, if memory serves, though Broken Steel adds dialogue options that have them go in there, the game calls you a coward for your refusal to senselessly die, and praises your companion as a "true hero".

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bethesda fundamentally misunderstands what Fallout should be.

I'm not trying to say that they have to keep it faithful to 1/2/NV, but if they want to do something new they should actually do something new. Right now it's like this awkward amalgamation of Fallout (as hardcore series fans see it) and a traditional Bethesda open world game.

Compared to Elder Scrolls titles, they want to present Fallout as the darker, tougher, less apologetic franchise that tackles serious and thought provoking questions. They want to introduce a variety of interesting, well written factions that the player can learn about and decide the fates of. But they also want it to be a sprawling, massive open world game focused almost entirely around combat and exploration.

But it fails at both. It's not a good traditional Fallout experience:
-The writing is bad.
-The quests are bad.
-The factions are bad.
-The story is bad.
-There's no moral dilemma or difficult choices. Everything is telegraphed.

On top of this, it's not a good Elder Scrolls-like title:
-Smaller map.
-Fewer cities.
-Fewer handcrafted quests.
-Less gameplay freedom.

Sure, the games are still fun to mess around in, but we've now had three major Fallout titles from BGS that have missed the mark.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
You're allowed to like it, but given it's been twelve years, I'd advise reflecting on what the game looks like now.

Nah, that's why the idea of this entire thread is flawed.

Judging a 2008 game by 2020 standards just so you can have a go at it is lame.

Some titles stand the test of time, others simply don't. That does not change the context of the era they were released in one bit.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I have the Platinum Trophy on PS3 - I liked it. Least I think I do. I remember doing the Zeta run for all audio logs and the Steel run for all ingots - surely I would have the Plat for that. I mean Zeta ran at about -17 frames a second on PS3 lol Still liked it. New Vegas is better yes but also I still liked Fallout 3.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's why the idea of this entire thread is flawed.

Judging a 2008 game by 2020 standards just so you can have a go at it is lame.

Some titles stand the test of time, others simply don't. That does not change the context of the era they were released in one bit.
I'll judge a game from 2008 by 2020 standards if people call it one of the "best games of all time". If it's that good, shouldn't it hold up to scrutiny? I feel New Vegas holds up remarkably well, aside from its janky combat and first two or three hours of railroading. I don't believe Fallout 3 holds up even remotely as well.

In addition, twelve years ago, the game's writing was still godawful. Story, most sidequests ("Agatha's Song" is a highlight, though), and the companions are just awful. Some elements of the game remain true to the Fallout formula, like the Republic of Dave and the bulk of Point Lookout and The Pitt, but I have little good to say about the vanilla story. It's just a trainwreck, from beginning to end. Especially the end.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll judge a game from 2008 by 2020 standards if people call it one of the "best games of all time". If it's that good, shouldn't it hold up to scrutiny?

Scrutinize all you want, I don't care.

That's not the purpose of this thread though, which OP launched as a hit piece take-down.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you act like games personally offended you and your family and it's really weird.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 is a game with a lot of problems, but Fallout 4 makes it look like the single best game ever made.

In fact, Fallout 3 may be the best game Bethesda Game Studios has ever made (so of course it isn't great). The world felt more believable than the lifeless cardboard world of Skyrim. And there was actually SOME sense of agency as opposed to Fallout 4 (which has a story that prioritizes arbitrary binary choices which don't even make sense within its own world). And don't get me started on Fallout 76 which may be the worst game released this generation...

Bethesda Game Studios makes bad games. Fallout 3 is the last one we should be ganging up on (despite its many issues).

I still love Fallout 3 for the atmosphere. While it doesn't measure up to Fallout New Vegas in any way, it's still one of the best Fallout games.

Would you put it up there with the first two games? Because those were actually very, very good.

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fallout 3 is a game with a lot of problems, but Fallout 4 makes it look like the single best game ever made.

In fact, Fallout 3 may be the best game Bethesda Game Studios has ever made (so of course it isn't great). Still, the world felt more believable than the lifeless cardboard world of Skyrim. And there was actually SOME sense of agency as opposed to Fallout 4 (which has a story that prioritizes arbitrary binary choices which don't even make sense within its own world). And don't get me started on Fallout 76 which may be the worst game released this generation...

Bethesda Game Studios makes bad games. Fallout 3 is the last one we should be ganging up on (despite its many issues).

Would you put it up there with the first two games? Because those were actually very, very good.

Hot take: I didn't really like Fallout 1 or 2 when I tried to play them. I never played them as a kid and playing them in the mid 2010s is kinda rough. If I wanted that style of game I'd rather go play Wasteland 3 at this point.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: I didn't really like Fallout 1 or 2 when I tried to play them. I never played them as a kid and playing them in the mid 2010s is kinda rough. If I wanted that style of game I'd rather go play Wasteland 3 at this point.

I didn't play them when I was younger either. I played them very late. I can't imagine playing the first two games (which I think are both brilliant), feeling they were rough, and then praising a Bethesda Game Studios game. You can't find a game that feels rougher to play than a BGS title.

Though I guess to each their own.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it averaged over 90% across all platforms on Metacritic.

Guess everyone else was just wrong.

Sometimes games with serious issues review well. High review scores are often synonymous with quality, but there have been a number of titles that captivated people at the time, but were always very, very flawed games. A 90% across all platforms isn't the smoking gun you think it is.

*edit*
My bad on the double post.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. I would kill for a Fallout 3 Remaster and it's mind boggling they haven't released one yet Skyrim exists on almost every platform known to man.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fallout 3 was great at the time and probably doesn't hold up well. Fallout 4 was bad when it came out and probably still is. New Vegas rocks.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 3's first moral decision is to either blow up Megaton, or don't blow up Megaton. Critics over a decade ago might've praised this as a moral quandary, but let's be real here: that's dumb as hell. The reason for you to blow up Megaton is nothing more than "It'll look cool lol", and Tenpenny is more or less motivated by the idea of not having a settlement blocking his view of... endless, vast wasteland. It's comically absurd...
I mean... yeah. That's kinda the tone of the entire game. It's over the top and full of satire and dark humor.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Cannot really agree. I love Fallout 3. It's one of the only open-world game where I actually almost never did a main-story mission. But just walking in the wasteland randomly, going where I want and exploring how I want was a great experience. Had fun with the side-quest.

New Vegas writing is stellar, but game is did not manage to capture the same feeling of exploration for me.

Fallout 4... well... no. Got caught up by the hype, bought the game and the season pass and ended playing less than 10 hours.

Now, if only they would release a Switch port of Fallout 3, that would be so great!

Aug 13, 2019
Can't comment on Fallout 3's overall quality, but it did fail to grip me when I first started it. Starting with my character's birth and making my first official goal to follow my father was all kinds of boring.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Fallout 3 hit at exactly the right time in my life. I was unemployed, like a lot of other Americans. Luckily I had it preordered early. I remember checking their website every day after I looked for and applied for jobs. This allowed me to really dive in with long game sessions. Also, when I did a replay I realized how lucky I was my first time through. I had gotten some of the more interesting random encounters and carved a more interesting path than the game seemed to guide you to. When I did a replay all I got were enemies in the place of events and I ended up in Megaton first. The game has flaws, but it was fun to poke around some of these blown out places. I think that's mostly what it came down to was seeing Fallout first person for the first time. I also think that's why fallout 4 was such a disappointment. The locations look shocking similar. I felt like I've seen all this before. Fallout 4 started out ok, and stomping through the wasteland looking for junk to improve your armor is a good time, but I could never shake the idea that I was playing it wrong or at the wrong place at the wrong time. It also felt cramped.

I will also say that since its release I've played all of its DLC, New Vegas, Skyrim, and hundreds of hours of fallout 4. That's probably around 500 hours of Bethesda styled games. When Fallout 3 released it was only the second Bethesda game I had played and the first I had played without watching someone else play several hours first. When it was released Fallout 3 held a mystery and promise of exploration that I doubt can be duplicated.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The floaty movement/physics holdover from Oblivion was already pretty bad by 2008 standards, and especially when compared to its FPS contemporaries. Same for the stilted super awkward animations. Switching the Fallout IP to Bethesda's brand of open world was also really jarring to me and only served to highlight the limitations of their formula. Trying to convey a barren wasteland simply does not work when everything has to be designed like an ultra condensed theme park which actively asks you to turn your brain off.

All of these things put together made Fallout 3 age poorly extremely fast. Making the series first person 3D puts a much higher bar of expectations on the production values, and Bethesda simply could not measure up. I simply could not get immersed to nearly the same extent as the first two games where I had a much easier time to suspend my disbelief to really engross myself in the experience, since you don't have to put up with things like super janky animations/graphics and a spatially ultra compressed environments where everything is within 5 minutes of eachother. Most of these elements still bothered the hell out of me with New Vegas as well so not even Obsidian's writing and worldbuilding could keep me from being put off by the moment to moment experience.

Even things like gore felt like a step back from the old 2D games presentation wise, again because this is much more demanding logistically to get right in real time 3D. Fallout 1 and 2 had some of the most visceral death animations of any game. Fallout 3 felt like it was more or less on the same level as Mortal Kombat 4.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could never get over how dogshit shooting feels in BGS Fallout games to even begin to enjoy anything else. Which is a shame because I like Elder Scrolls

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
FO3 didn't do anything amazingly well, but it's my favorite FO game becuase it's so much fun to play and explore in. That's what I want from those games.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot at launch, but unfortunately New Vegas retroactively ruined it for me. The writing, quests, and the more open traversal really nailed the classic fallout vibe - not shocking giving the developer. It made me look at 3 a lot more critically. I've tried to return to it a few times, but usually just end up in my next New Vegas playthrough shortly after. Don't get me started on Fallout 4, what a fucking disappointment

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it at the time, though I didn't care about writing or choices nearly as much back then.

In general most of Bethesda's games are massively flawed, but just unique and competent enough to work well enough as products of their time.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Memory is hazy but I remember playing Fallout Tactics and came up to a plot point revolving around super mutant scientists researching ways to reverse their sterility. Seemed like a natural point to continue from in order to justify the existence of supermutants in 3 but of course they didn't do that and had to reinvent the wheel again.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Like all Beth Fallout games, I just hope for a good map and expect nothing much else. They obviously don't expect much from their writers, either.