• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are both Elder Scrolls fans, and even before the quarantine my wife alternated between wanting to replay Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. Cut to about a month ago when I thought a fun surprise would be to mod Oblivion until she didn't recognize it. In the course of 2 days I installed over 150 mods and the game actually started without a gate to the actual realm of Oblivion opening in my house. But...Oblivion will always be Oblivion. The game crashed on average every 20 minutes or less for completely random reasons, and the end product just wasn't as interesting as we thought.

So...wait a minute - wasn't there that Elder Scrolls MMO?

In my faded memory, I only remembered bad things about ESO. Probably because the way I hear it, when the game launched it deserved it. So I was hesitant going in, and I didn't know anything about the game whatsoever. After 200 hours now between the two of us, I can say I'm still lost about a lot, but what I am certain of is that this game is an excellent choice to fill the gap until the next main title. Apparently at some point the game evolved into a sort of "just do whatever, whenever" model. This means everything scales to your level, including gear, and the "Alliance" that your chosen race was locked into for the sake of PvP doesn't seem to matter anymore for PvE. You can just travel wherever and do the quests. From what I read things like the main story quest used to be level-gated, but now you can just do whatever you want when you want to.

And there is a LOT to do. hwarang actually just made a thread about this over here. While a lot of quests are of course going to be your MMO stereotypes, I feel like your average Skyrim filler quest wasn't much better. The standout quests in ESO - the ones that span entire zones or the various Elder Scrolls guilds, are just as interesting as standouts in the main titles. Its all voiceacted, there are plenty of familiar names and faces, and a lot of it is actually interesting. I actually laughed at some quests too, which can go so far as toying with things like the camera angle in conversations. Going in after the game has been out for so long is unsurprisingly confusing as far as figuring out the overall story, yet thanks to the community with threads like this we were able to figure out how to start from square 1 like players did years ago. The only problem is main characters from the original story are the go-tos for DLC and expansion content so its minorly spoiler-y. Hard to worry about saving someone when someone told you to go talk to their double standing in the Fighters Guild to start the latest expansion content.

As far as gameplay, I'm impressed at how close they got to the main titles with the combat. Not only that, but despite everything being brought down to your level, the fights can often be actually dangerous. It was quite a surprise coming from my attempt to try Star Wars: The Old Republic after years where everything is hilariously simple. If you don't have a healing skill on your ability bar then you will need to use potions or play very carefully. I'm not sure if I ever bothered blocking or dodging most of the time in Skyrim, but doing so here can set enemies off balance and there are many skills you need to run away from. And wouldn't you know it? - The game doesn't crash and everything so far has just worked. I know.

So - the negatives. This is a F2P MMO. That of course means you need to pay for a subscription. Without a subscription you do not get a crafting inventory and given this is an Elder Scrolls game you will max out your inventory nearly instantly and continuously without it. You also do not get most of the DLC story content without the subscription which is separated into confusingly named packs sold ala carte much like The Sims 4 is. The cash shop will be in your face all the time. Every log-in, every log-out, and lots in-between. From what I can tell you can just enjoy questing without much grind, but if you plan to stick around for this game long-term there sure as hell is some grind. Crafting research is in real time and even the shortest time at the start will take an entire day. Same goes for upgrading your mount. I already explained the story confusion for new players, but adding to this is the fact that if you have purchased an expansion then you have a brand new prologue tutorial for every new character, leaping you ahead in the story without any idea of what is happening.

Overall - we are enjoying it a lot more than expected and I will say again that since ES 6 is a looooong time coming I can recommend this to tie you over. We bought the game including all the latest expansions during a Steam sale recently so adding a subscription on that wasn't much of an issue. Might go on sale again soon for you.

Last edited:

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How well does it work for co-op purposes? What's the party size? Is PvP opt-in, or sectioned off somehow?

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
How well does it work for co-op purposes? What's the party size? Is PvP opt-in, or sectioned off somehow?

Content is scaled for all players in a party - dknow how the tech works but everyone is always on equal footing. Party size seems to be 4. There are world events where anyone can hop in and get credit for helping out. I have not touched PvP yet - it is opt-in, sectioned off from everything else in battlegrounds and in its own content zone. There is a sort of "PvE PvP" system with bounties where if you murder townfolk or steal other players can apparently hunt you down or something. Not sure.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started playing this again after buying it a launch and not getting very far at all, like level 10 LOL. I'm enjoying it a lot more now, the level scaling makes the games MUCH better because I can just go and do whatever I want without having to worry about whether I'm the right level.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled it yesterday and I'm jumping back in before the new expansion whilst I wait for the FF14 patch. All the new content for me to catch up on seems promising, just need to work out where to start.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I have been thinking of jumping back in on ESO. I played for a bit after launch but it just didn't do much for me at the time. I have been watching a shit load of Elder Scrolls lore videos lately and have somehow tumbled back down the Skyrim rabbit hole yet again. Send help...

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game to sink time into.
I recently started playing this again after buying it a launch and not getting very far at all, like level 10 LOL. I'm enjoying it a lot more now, the level scaling makes the games MUCH better because I can just go and do whatever I want without having to worry about whether I'm the right level.

This is probably the only game where I tolerate level scaling in that it allows me to explore wherever and which zone I'm curious about.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
ESO is arguably the best casual MMO on the market for questing/crafting/RP but hooooly shit, do not get into it expecting a good end-game experience. I have never played a game in the genre with such horrendous server lag/crashes. Cyrodil PvP can have sometimes up to a three second delay on ability inputs and that's not even considering the recent addition of delayed/eaten input bugs from a patch implemented a few months ago. The PvE experience (raiding, mainly) is in such dire straits due to lack of content/terrible performance issues that most of the top end-game raiding community came together to make a boycott petition. This isn't in and of itself definitive proof of such problems, but basically every raid team I know about has quit the game (including all three teams I was a part of). ZoS has made it very clear that their focus is on microtransactions/annual expansion sales with little regard to the health of the game itself.

It's a shame because the combat is definitely the most engaging of any MMO I've played and theorycrafting builds genuinely feels rewarding, but I cannot recommend it for anything other than casual content at this point in time. Grab it on one of its frequent $10 USD sales and enjoy the (considerable) amount of base game content, but stop there.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hated the combat in oblivion/skyrim, but love the side quests in morrowind/oblivion, how much will i like this MMO ?

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the combat in oblivion/skyrim, but love the side quests in morrowind/oblivion, how much will i like this MMO ?

IMO, combat seems to be like Oblivion/Skyrim covered in a thick sheen of MMO so you probably wouldn't care for it, considering you do that more than anything.

Can anyone tell me what the backstory was for ESO before it launched? Like why is the emperor missing, alliances fighting, etc. Why can I not find this online? Am I blind? I'm doing the main quest for the base game and I run into scenes where the characters say something like "Its YOU! This is all your fault...blah blah.." but I have no idea who these people are.

As an aside..I'm almost level 30 out of the max 50 (aside from CP) and I still have not left the first main area of my alliance. I guess its all about CP sooner than you think?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the backstory was for ESO before it launched? Like why is the emperor missing, alliances fighting, etc. Why can I not find this online? Am I blind? I'm doing the main quest for the base game and I run into scenes where the characters say something like "Its YOU! This is all your fault...blah blah.." but I have no idea who these people are.
Second era had almost no lore before ESO which is why they chose it. Tiber Septim sacks Cyrodiil late in the second era which will be a significant amount of years post ESO. The Prophet explains everything you need to know in one of the first Harborage quests with him which is essentially an exposition dump.

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Second era had almost no lore before ESO which is why they chose it. Tiber Septim sacks Cyrodiil late in the second era which will be a significant amount of years post ESO. The Prophet explains everything you need to know in one of the first Harborage quests with him which is essentially an exposition dump.

Right I've done the first handful but I only caught what happened to the 5 companions and why Molag Bal is attacking Nirn. I don't remember hearing about why the world outside of the Molag Bal stuff is in the state it is in. Like why is Cyrodil a contested zone?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Right I've done the first handful but I only caught what happened to the 5 companions and why Molag Bal is attacking Nirn. I don't remember hearing about why the world outside of the Molag Bal stuff is in the state it is in.
It's mentioned but probably easy to miss:
When Varen Aquilarios tried to use the Amulet of Kings to become a Dragonborn and Mannimarco tricked him the dragon fires went out which causes the Oblivion invasion, Varen vanishes then there's a power vacuum and you have the three banners war with the different alliances vying to capture Cyrodiil and make their own empire.

Not sure if that helps.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The game was fantastic at launch.

Then they made it so every enemy in the world is the same level as you always which completely ruins the experience as there is no real progression other than getting a few new abilities to use against enemies that are always the same strength as you.

Which makes this not so much an RPG, but I guess a first person action game... and the combat isn't strong enough to be an action game.

One of my biggest disappointments. It was seriously my favorite elder scrolls game after Morrowind before they completely ruined it.

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
It's mentioned but probably easy to miss:
When Varen Aquilarios tried to use the Amulet of Kings to become a Dragonborn and Mannimarco tricked him the dragon fires went out which causes the Oblivion invasion, Varen vanishes then there's a power vacuum and you have the three banners war with the different alliances vying to capture Cyrodiil and make their own empire.

Not sure if that helps.

Well now I feel dumb. I simply completely forgot the name of that particular character. Thanks.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I've also recently gotten into it, and at about 50 hours in it's surprisingly fun, but not without some pretty annoying issues.

First is the way the subscription works in regards to dungeons. The easiest/fastest way to level is to do a random dungeon queue once per day, which randomly matches you into any of the game's dungeons. The dungeons included in the base game are all pretty easy, but if you subscribe you also automatically unlock additional DLC dungeons The DLC dungeons are all drastically harder, as they require both good gear and knowledge of mechanics. This makes them not suitable at all for low level players. I'd actually gladly subscribe to the game because as the OP says you basically need the crafting bag, but doing so would also remove one of the best ways to level up.

I also don't like how all the gear you get before CP160 is basically useless, meaning that the game really prioritizes rushing the leveling process as fast as you can. But I guess that's how every MMO works before you reach the end-game.

But other than that, there's a ton of content and the combat is surprisingly decent, and much better than the core Elder Scrolls games. And there's a huge amount of content considering the game with all expansions goes on sale super often for like $15.

Also, while the game doesn't crash as such, it is terribly optimized, and the servers aren't exactly great, leading to frequent disconnects.

The game also needs some modding to make it good. Not as much as Oblivion, but there's a ton of mods that make life so much easier to the point of basically being mandatory. I don't know how people play this on consoles.

I have not touched PvP yet

You should really do at least a couple battleground matches, or at least zone into Cyrodiil. Doing so unlocks two additional skill lines, and one of them has a skill that gives 30% extra mount speed. Which is incredibly useful.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I enjoyed my time with ESO (I'm halfway through Murkmire) but I have decided to call it a day unless Zenimax radically changes things. Ever since the One Tamriel update the overworld content has become ridiculously easy due to the level scaling. Imagine doing a quest which spends the entire time hyping up the villain and then you beat him in five hits.

One Tamriel was overall a big commercial success for the game but it killed my enjoyment. Yeah, you can go wherever you want but there is no sense of progression anymore. Not to mention that doing the zones out of order for your faction will lead to a disjointed narrative.

The game was fantastic at launch.

Then they made it so every enemy in the world is the same level as you always which completely ruins the experience as there is no real progression other than getting a few new abilities to use against enemies that are always the same strength as you.

Which makes this not so much an RPG, but I guess a first person action game... and the combat isn't strong enough to be an action game.

One of my biggest disappointments. It was seriously my favorite elder scrolls game after Morrowind before they completely ruined it.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Really sucks.

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
First is the way the subscription works in regards to dungeons. The easiest/fastest way to level is to do a random dungeon queue once per day, which randomly matches you into any of the game's dungeons. The dungeons included in the base game are all pretty easy, but if you subscribe you also automatically unlock additional DLC dungeons The DLC dungeons are all drastically harder, as they require both good gear and knowledge of mechanics. This makes them not suitable at all for low level players. I'd actually gladly subscribe to the game because as the OP says you basically need the crafting bag, but doing so would also remove one of the best ways to level up.

You should really do at least a couple battleground matches, or at least zone into Cyrodiil. Doing so unlocks two additional skill lines, and one of them has a skill that gives 30% extra mount speed. Which is incredibly useful.

Have you been matched for those DLC dungeons? I'm level 27 and I have not been put into any groups for them. I notice when I level up I unlock access to certain dungeons in the dungeon finder so maybe it's actually gated to prevent this? Or maybe I've just been lucky. You are right that is crazy XP - I usually level up twice every day by completing them.

I'll take your advice and dip my toe in thePvP for those rewards even though I'm not interested in it.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Have you been matched for those DLC dungeons? I'm level 27 and I have not been put into any groups for them. I notice when I level up I unlock access to certain dungeons in the dungeon finder so maybe it's actually gated to prevent this? Or maybe I've just been lucky. You are right that is crazy XP - I usually level up twice every day by completing them.

I'm pretty sure DLC dungeons all unlock at level 45.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I are both Elder Scrolls fans, and even before the quarantine my wife alternated between wanting to replay Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. Cut to about a month ago when I thought a fun surprise would be to mod Oblivion until she didn't recognize it. In the course of 2 days I installed over 150 mods and the game actually started without a gate to the actual realm of Oblivion opening in my house. But...Oblivion will always be Oblivion. The game crashed on average every 20 minutes or less for completely random reasons, and the end product just wasn't as interesting as we thought.

So...wait a minute - wasn't there that Elder Scrolls MMO?

In my faded memory, I only remembered bad things about ESO. Probably because the way I hear it, when the game launched it deserved it. So I was hesitant going in, and I didn't know anything about the game whatsoever. After 200 hours now between the two of us, I can say I'm still lost about a lot, but what I am certain of is that this game is an excellent choice to fill the gap until the next main title. Apparently at some point the game evolved into a sort of "just do whatever, whenever" model. This means everything scales to your level, including gear, and the "Alliance" that your chosen race was locked into for the sake of PvP doesn't seem to matter anymore for PvE. You can just travel wherever and do the quests. From what I read things like the main story quest used to be level-gated, but now you can just do whatever you want when you want to.

And there is a LOT to do. hwarang actually just made a thread about this over here. While a lot of quests are of course going to be your MMO stereotypes, I feel like your average Skyrim filler quest wasn't much better. The standout quests in ESO - the ones that span entire zones or the various Elder Scrolls guilds, are just as interesting as standouts in the main titles. Its all voiceacted, there are plenty of familiar names and faces, and a lot of it is actually interesting. I actually laughed at some quests too, which can go so far as toying with things like the camera angle in conversations. Going in after the game has been out for so long is unsurprisingly confusing as far as figuring out the overall story, yet thanks to the community with threads like this we were able to figure out how to start from square 1 like players did years ago. The only problem is main characters from the original story are the go-tos for DLC and expansion content so its minorly spoiler-y. Hard to worry about saving someone when someone told you to go talk to their double standing in the Fighters Guild to start the latest expansion content.

As far as gameplay, I'm impressed at how close they got to the main titles with the combat. Not only that, but despite everything being brought down to your level, the fights can often be actually dangerous. It was quite a surprise coming from my attempt to try Star Wars: The Old Republic after years where everything is hilariously simple. If you don't have a healing skill on your ability bar then you will need to use potions or play very carefully. I'm not sure if I ever bothered blocking or dodging most of the time in Skyrim, but doing so here can set enemies off balance and there are many skills you need to run away from. And wouldn't you know it? - The game doesn't crash and everything so far has just worked. I know.

So - the negatives. This is a F2P MMO. That of course means you need to pay for a subscription. Without a subscription you do not get a crafting inventory and given this is an Elder Scrolls game you will max out your inventory nearly instantly and continuously without it. You also do not get most of the DLC story content without the subscription which is separated into confusingly named packs sold ala carte much like The Sims 4 is. The cash shop will be in your face all the time. Every log-in, every log-out, and lots in-between. From what I can tell you can just enjoy questing without much grind, but if you plan to stick around for this game long-term there sure as hell is some grind. Crafting research is in real time and even the shortest time at the start will take an entire day. Same goes for upgrading your mount. I already explained the story confusion for new players, but adding to this is the fact that if you have purchased an expansion then you have a brand new prologue tutorial for every new character, leaping you ahead in the story without any idea of what is happening.

Overall - we are enjoying it a lot more than expected and I will say again that since ES 6 is a looooong time coming I can recommend this to tie you over. We bought the game including all the latest expansions during a Steam sale recently so adding a subscription on that wasn't much of an issue. Might go on sale again soon for you.

Yeah, Elder Scrolls Online is very good, I've long maintained it is the best MMORPG right now. I recently got back into it with my guildmates.

You don't really need to pay for a subscription though. Sure, the separate crafting inventory is a great bonus, but if you're not going to do crafting and trading at the highest level it is not strictly required. I don't really have a problem with how the DLC packs are structured with the exception of dungeon packs, which I believe should be added for free instead. It's also a bit disappointing that mounts are almost exclusively tied to Crown Store purchases.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have maxed out most crafts and all traits without the crafting bag, it's entirely feasible. Or you can create alts for your crafting needs. Also the game regularly offers free membership trials which you can make use of to fill your crafting bag.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Hmmm I played for many years and then have shelved it for the past year. Maybe it's time to reinstall.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't even bother with the crafts or whatever. I just go through the quests and I stay away from the dailies.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Especially with the recent confirmation from Pete Hines that showing TES VI is "years and years away", I might jump into ESO some time soon again, too.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The only problem is main characters from the original story are the go-tos for DLC and expansion content so its minorly spoiler-y. Hard to worry about saving someone when someone told you to go talk to their double standing in the Fighters Guild to start the latest expansion content.
To try and add some suspense back in to the main quest without getting spoilery, there are actually multiple outcomes for your companions based on the decisions you make. They just randomly decided to ignore the possible outcomes that some players went through for the DLC. So while that still doesn't help much knowing they're still here for future content, don't assume everyone will definitely be safe no matter what you do =)

I'm glad you're enjoying the game! It can be fun when the server isn't shitting the bed. If you ever want more traditional TES gameplay without the lag issues, I'd highly recommend Beyond Skyrim: Bruma for new lands and quests, bigger worldspace and more content than the official Solstheim DLC!

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good newbie guide somewhere? I've bounced off a few times and I'd like to get into it, I just would love to have a good guide to help get me started and explain some of the game's systems.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I literally made the opposite call less than a week ago (modded skyrim though rather than oblivion), largely due to the f2p mmo stuff mentioned in the OP driving me away. Modding skyrim was a much smoother operation than I expected, though it took some time. Also, I've played maybe 5ish hours so far without a single crash or major issue, despite 80something mods running. So it sounds like if you are missing elder scrolls and you have a pc, you have options!

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good newbie guide somewhere? I've bounced off a few times and I'd like to get into it, I just would love to have a good guide to help get me started and explain some of the game's systems.

Yeah I found a few newbie guides to help me. Here are some forums posts, but also search recent youtube videos. A guy had a good one for "ESO in 2020". A lot of it boils down to "train your horse every day, level crafting, and use whatever gear upgrades you find until CP 160 when you can focus on "build" gear.

The Elder Scrolls Online: New Player Guide

Welcome to The Elder Scrolls Online New Player Guide! This guide is designed to cover all the basics for players new to Tamriel.
forums.elderscrollsonline.com

A Guide for New Players by Veterans

Whether you're a new player, returning player, or veteran, there may be things you just don't know about ESO.

What Order Should I Do ESO's Story Arcs? - A Guide

Since One Tamriel, players have been able to go anywhere and do anything in Tamriel.

Now an update: I'm nearly level 50, the original max level, and I'm only halfway through the second main zone for my alliance. The main questline has turned out to be hugely dull and cheesy, and I actually just spammed /sigh while listening to Mannimarco monologue for the upteenth time. I'm now further along where you learn you have to complete another zone to get to the last bit and some of this janky puzzle stuff is driving me over the edge. I appreciate trying to match the standard ES puzzle-ness of some dungeons but not only is it janky as hell but it hard crashed my game for the first time. The ES game crash curse continues.

The quest lines that span the zones you visit are better than this, and I hope the DLC questlines make up for it. I actually laughed at a couple more quests you just find in the world, and the main quest doesn't hold a candle to these.

Last edited: