• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: My bad, I meant I haven't played since DW 5

I'm at a loss of words as to describe how awful my first hour and a half experience has been with this game. I love the fact that there are a bunch of new characters I've never seen before. Finished chapter 1 of Wu's scenario and this is just freaking bad.

The open world design is absolute garbage. I had already went into the open world aspect with low expectations but reality was way worse. I literally just leveled up a bit and rushed straight toward the boss about 15 minutes away to finish the chapter. The map is just way too damn big, in the worst way possible. It's such a boring world. The quests are just absolute waste of time.

Not doing my research beforehand has cost me dearly.

Don't even get me started on the story progression system. The fact if you want to try out a different character in story mode at a later chapter, you have to start square 1. Not to mention there aren't any story differences between each character.

---

1) is it worth playing through the other factions, despite the chapters looking to have the same story? Are the different perspectives worth it or should I just youtube everything after I finish Wu's story? Fuck this is just awful.

Fucking hell, this game is so bad.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Still in the middle of making a bigger post but

Don't even get me started on the story progression system. The fact if you want to try out a different character in story mode at a later chapter, you have to start square 1.

I think you don't need to do this anymore?

I recently went back to DW9, and they seem to have added a "Change Officer" option in the pause menu. This definitely wasn't in the game at launch, and it basically lets you skip over to a different character in the same chapter. Assuming I've understood this feature correctly, you should be able to e.g. load up a file like "Sun Jian in Chapter 2", select Choose Officer, and then continue Chapter 2 as Huang Gai, Han Dang or Cheng Pu

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

I recently went back to DW9, and they seem to have added a "Change Officer" option in the pause menu. This definitely wasn't in the game at launch, and it basically lets you skip over to a different character in the same chapter. Assuming I've understood this feature correctly, you should be able to e.g. load up a file like "Sun Jian in Chapter 2", select Choose Officer, and then continue Chapter 2 as Huang Gai, Han Dang or Cheng Pu

Interesting. Maybe I must have overlooked that feature.

Is it worth playing through Jin's story or are their perspectives the same as Wei's?

Oct 26, 2017
Tecmo Koei and Omega Force were really ambitious with this open world Dynasty Warriors, but it was ultimately too ambitious.

The game starts you off at probably the ugliest part of the open world, where it's all flat and brown, and you're there for a good long while. As you progress into the story, you explore better looking parts of the open world, like the mountains of Hanzhong, the jungles of Zanzhong, the hilly plains of Chengdu, and etc.

Personally, I did get some enjoyment out of it--I think the combat system is really fun, but there's a lot of things that I just don't care for. Resource gathering, crafting, leveling up your horse, the bow and arrow system, and etc. Each character has their own ending, which is I think something that hasn't been done since DW5, so in theory you have a lot of replay value if you care enough, but I kinda stopped playing after beating the game with around ten characters. I appreciate that this DW tried something drastically new and ambitious, but I'd like for the next DW game to return to the old style DW.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Maybe I must have overlooked that feature.

Is it worth playing through Jin's story or are their perspectives the same as Wei's?

You didn't overlook it, they must have patched it in later with little fanfare (I've clocked in 300+ hours and even *I* didn't know it was added in until really recently)

Also, Jin's story is basically "Timeskip Wei". Wei's story ends at like, Chapter 10, 11? While Jin's story goes up to Chapter 13

The only confusing part is that a few Jin characters start in the middle of Wei's story (like Sima Yi)

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
The open world design is absolute garbage. I had already went into the open world aspect with low expectations but reality was way worse. I literally just leveled up a bit and rushed straight toward the boss about 15 minutes away to finish the chapter. The map is just way too damn big, in the worst way possible. It's such a boring world. The quests are just absolute waste of time.

[...]

1) is it worth playing through the other factions, despite the chapters looking to have the same story? Are the different perspectives worth it or should I just youtube everything after I finish Wu's story? Fuck this is just awful.

With the open world thing; yeah, it's not great. Part of it was previously mentioned; Omega Force biting off more than they can chew. But it's also Omega Force having a strange perception of what open world games are like. They basically took classic DW-style battles and spread them across the huge open world, with all the side activities basically feed into the loop of doing missions (e.g. you discover waypoints and tower, and buy hideaways to have more fast travel spots; you hunt and craft to get more weapons and items; you fish to get loot and rare currencies, the "sidequests" exist so have means for grinding if you're under-leveled etc.). Even as someone that can get a bit of fun out of DW9, I find their version of an open world to be baffling.

On the bit about other sections, it's about as worthwhile as in previous games, I guess? Everyone still starts off doing the same thing in Ch 1 and 2, then the Kingdoms start to branch off in Chapter 3. If you specifically mean playing stories that aren't copy pasted, most of the Others faction characters get the most unique content. Zhang Jiao, Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu, Yuan Shao and Meng Huo / Zhu Rong all get campaigns with more original battles, though they have to be unlocked first (by completing their respective chapters with one of the Three Kingdoms)

Honestly though, sounds like you might be better off playing DW7 or DW8. DW9 is a really drastic departure even for people more up to date with the series. While I like playing this game, I also admit to liking DW more for its ROTK setting than because of the gameplay. Either DW7 for the story, or DW8 for the gameplay variety

Never played it either but never heard good things either. Was hoping someone would post in this thread about it.

It basically boils down to "Dynasty Warriors 9 removes most of the stuff that makes the series what it is... and what it replaces that stuff with isn't necessarily better"

If a Dynasty Warriors game *needs* to have the classic Musou formula to be fun and I'm not sure why you would, Classic Dynasty Warriors sucks then you're more likely than not going to hate DW9.

If you're more open to the general idea of killing lots of enemies (but not necessarily requiring it to happen in stages, with timers, an inferior combat system and lots of scripting) and happnen to enjoy Dynasty Warriors because of the setting specifically, I think you'll probably be more receptive (despite the many, many MANY flaws DW9 has)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally liked this one a lot. I had a lot of fun with the combat and the gameplay loop worked well and was addicting.

Biggest issues I had is the reused weapons, lifeless open world and the weird plot progression (which to be fair, is really hard to do if you want to have close to a hundred characters).

I really hope they don't abandon this design next game. There is a lot more they can do to make it better. Some inspiration from Ghost of Tsushima and BOTW would be good.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I was very excited about the idea of an open world DW but this game is total fucking dogshit. Asset flip levels of awful.

Skip it unless you're playing it just to experience the flaming trainwreck for yourself.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Dynaty Warriors continues to be quite possibly the only franchise whose appeal I do not understand, even aside from my own tastes.

I watched Jim Sterling's videos on DW9, and while it looked terrible... it also just looked like more Dynasty Warriors to me, lol.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah DW9 is not a good game by any means, I regret buying it at release so much, it's one of the least played games of all time that I bought at release for full price. I still maintain that the best Dynasty Warriors to play are 3, 5 and 7. I just hope whatevers next is good.

Also to OP, if you haven't tried it I recommend Warriors Orochi 4, it's a really good and fun game, it's not as good as Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate as that game just has so much to it and so many characters from all over (like Sophitia from Soul Calibur) but WO4 is still very enjoyable and doesn't follow the open world nature of DW9

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Dynaty Warriors continues to be quite possibly the only franchise whose appeal I do not understand, even aside from my own tastes.

I watched Jim Sterling's videos on DW9, and while it looked terrible... it also just looked like more Dynasty Warriors to me, lol.
Besides what they did to Zhang He, Dynasty Warriors doesn't (usually) let you gun it to the main enemy and end the mission by beating them.

If it's not your thing it's not your thing but that's what stood out to me.

I'm still bitter people don't yell out "I've defeated an officer" anymore...

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
You really should have bought DW8CXL for $20

DW9 was too ambitious and ended up costing Koei bad. It's got great ideas that would have been killer in an empire title. But instead it's a really barebones and bad open world mainline title. Collecting materials, hunting coins. It's all kind of just bad and dumb. I still love it because very single character has a story mode. But oh my lord if you don't want copy and paste move sets you have to shell out a stupid amount of money.

Don't get me wrong I hope they keep and really expand on the open world. I would love a streamline campaign and then maybe the create a character becomes its own mode where you can join a faction, go through storylines and make it your own fantasy. That way they could focus more on quests, characters and a more developed map. thats really the only way it would work. Having 82 characters though use the open world just isn't a good idea. But it would make a really cool one for a really, really long conquest or destiny mode

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really should have bought DW8CXL for $20

DW9 was too ambitious and ended up costing Koei bad. It's got great ideas that would have been killer in an empire title. But instead it's a really barebones and bad open world mainline title. Collecting materials, hunting coins. It's all kind of just bad and dumb. I still love it because very single character has a story mode. But oh my lord if you don't want copy and paste move sets you have to shell out a stupid amount of money.

Don't get me wrong I hope they keep and really expand on the open world. I would love a streamline campaign and then maybe the create a character becomes its own mode where you can join a faction, go through storylines and make it your own fantasy. That way they could focus more on quests, characters and a more developed map. thats really the only way it would work. Having 82 characters though use the open world just isn't a good idea. But it would make a really cool one for a really, really long conquest or destiny mode
Yeah an Empire like game could would be really good with this formula.

Creating an original character like you said would be great as then they could make it like Shadow of War where you recuit officers and make your own army. The side content and all of that would be easier to make if they do this.

Obviously this means the story might have to go a more fictional route to work.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like other people have said, dw9 wasnt the best/ its better for you to play dynasty warriors 8 complete edition as its more the regular formula that everyone who loves the dw formula, loves.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
With the open world thing; yeah, it's not great. Part of it was previously mentioned; Omega Force biting off more than they can chew. But it's also Omega Force having a strange perception of what open world games are like. They basically took classic DW-style battles and spread them across the huge open world, with all the side activities basically feed into the loop of doing missions (e.g. you discover waypoints and tower, and buy hideaways to have more fast travel spots; you hunt and craft to get more weapons and items; you fish to get loot and rare currencies, the "sidequests" exist so have means for grinding if you're under-leveled etc.). Even as someone that can get a bit of fun out of DW9, I find their version of an open world to be baffling.

On the bit about other sections, it's about as worthwhile as in previous games, I guess? Everyone still starts off doing the same thing in Ch 1 and 2, then the Kingdoms start to branch off in Chapter 3. If you specifically mean playing stories that aren't copy pasted, most of the Others faction characters get the most unique content. Zhang Jiao, Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu, Yuan Shao and Meng Huo / Zhu Rong all get campaigns with more original battles, though they have to be unlocked first (by completing their respective chapters with one of the Three Kingdoms)

Honestly though, sounds like you might be better off playing DW7 or DW8. DW9 is a really drastic departure even for people more up to date with the series. While I like playing this game, I also admit to liking DW more for its ROTK setting than because of the gameplay. Either DW7 for the story, or DW8 for the gameplay variety

It basically boils down to "Dynasty Warriors 9 removes most of the stuff that makes the series what it is... and what it replaces that stuff with isn't necessarily better"

If a Dynasty Warriors game *needs* to have the classic Musou formula to be fun and I'm not sure why you would, Classic Dynasty Warriors sucks then you're more likely than not going to hate DW9.

If you're more open to the general idea of killing lots of enemies (but not necessarily requiring it to happen in stages, with timers, an inferior combat system and lots of scripting) and happnen to enjoy Dynasty Warriors because of the setting specifically, I think you'll probably be more receptive (despite the many, many MANY flaws DW9 has)
Good explanation. IMO, from a gameplay perspective, I still prefer the classic formula but I also concur about wanting to play for the setting which coincides with this post....
Tecmo Koei and Omega Force were really ambitious with this open world Dynasty Warriors, but it was ultimately too ambitious.

The game starts you off at probably the ugliest part of the open world, where it's all flat and brown, and you're there for a good long while. As you progress into the story, you explore better looking parts of the open world, like the mountains of Hanzhong, the jungles of Zanzhong, the hilly plains of Chengdu, and etc.

Personally, I did get some enjoyment out of it--I think the combat system is really fun, but there's a lot of things that I just don't care for. Resource gathering, crafting, leveling up your horse, the bow and arrow system, and etc. Each character has their own ending, which is I think something that hasn't been done since DW5, so in theory you have a lot of replay value if you care enough, but I kinda stopped playing after beating the game with around ten characters. I appreciate that this DW tried something drastically new and ambitious, but I'd like for the next DW game to return to the old style DW.
It's great from a more exploratory point of view, being able to see all of the places we've battled in from older titles in the classic/static style, from a Open World perspective. Being able to approach the iconic areas from any angle and just see them planted in this world.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't abandon this design next game. There is a lot more they can do to make it better. Some inspiration from Ghost of Tsushima and BOTW would be good.
Don't get me wrong I hope they keep and really expand on the open world.

I think there was a recent translated interview saying the open world is probably not coming back for DW10

Which is unfortunate, I have no interest in another "classic" DW game

Besides what they did to Zhang He, Dynasty Warriors doesn't (usually) let you gun it to the main enemy and end the mission by beating them.

If it's not your thing it's not your thing but that's what stood out to me.

DW9 getting singled out for that is so fucking dumb, I distinctly remember gunning it to the final boss a LOT in the older games (especially Dynasty Warriors 3)

Only more recent Warriors games have avoided that, and only because maps are designed to have so many scripted events now

It's great from a more exploratory point of view, being able to see all of the places we've battled in from older titles in the classic/static style, from a Open World perspective. Being able to approach the iconic areas from any angle and just see them planted in this world.
I definitely agree with this, the open world really lets you appreciate the setting more

It's one thing to have a map with talking heads telling you why Fan Castle is so important, it's another thing to actually see it geographically for yourself in DW9

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there was a recent translated interview saying the open world is probably not coming back for DW10

Which is unfortunate, I have no interest in another "classic" DW game
That's a bummer.

DW9 could have been used to build of while they are making the classic style games. It was a really cool change and now I am sad it was thrown away...

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I dislike dw9... i'm still upset there wasnt an Empire rendition of it. Hell I think a DW9 empires would have done much better (kinda like how DW6 empires changed the combat of DW6 to something more tolerable)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah an Empire like game could would be really good with this formula.

Creating an original character like you said would be great as then they could make it like Shadow of War where you recuit officers and make your own army. The side content and all of that would be easier to make if they do this.

Obviously this means the story might have to go a more fictional route to work.

i mean technically it was originally fictional for a long time. Whatever side you played actually became the leading kingdom in the end. It wasn't until DW6 or 7 where they went by actual officers dying.

In the old games you could prevent bad events from happening on your side and keep officers going into the later historical battles.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean technically it was originally fictional for a long time. Whatever side you played actually became the leading kingdom in the end. It wasn't until DW6 or 7 where they went by actual officers dying.

In the old games you could prevent bad events from happening on your side and keep officers going into the later historical battles.
True. Even DW8 kind of let you do that but you need to play alternative missions.

Oh well, a shame they decided to go back to the original formula. We already have so many of them right now and even more to come in the following years so it would have been nice to have some variety.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
it's not really good anymore
they gotta do a graphics and gameplay overhaul
as well maybe reduce the soldiers but improve the ai alot

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Oh wow. I did not know they even added this. Man if they had that at launch when I played it, it would have eased some of the problems I had with the game.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

It just scratch that itch of games you can play and turn your brain off. I always get these moments where I need my musou fill and once that's done I can stop playing them for months.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Glad to hear that the kingdoms start to branch off in Chapter 3. I was kind of expecting the same maps considering how the names of all the chapters are the same. Knowing that the Jin faction is basically post - Wei helps.

Really bummed out with the moveset system though. I'm assuming that trigger attacks and musou specials are the only ones that are unique to each character?

I'm probably going to youtube the others faction characters.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bought it at launch and found it so hideous on PS4 Pro and uninspired in design that I sold it having only played half an hour. No interest in K-T Warriors games since until Scramble was announced.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it at launch and found it so hideous on PS4 Pro and uninspired in design that I sold it having only played half an hour. No interest in K-T Warriors games since until Scramble was announced.

Yeah the map and the first chapter.. the way in which the game introduced you is awful. I literally just rushed towards the boss to finish the chapter after realizing there weren't any "side missions" with lore substance. Maps are just way too big and the open world design is just extremely bad.

They could have opted for a sandbox design that is more than above average size compared to the prior entries, with more density in actual impactful content such as character interaction, cutscenes, etc.

This whole crafting, meaningless sidequest, shitty hub system.... ugh I don't want to talk about this game anymore unless necessary

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends on the PS4 is a better shout. Also Romance of the Three Kingdoms is still a real strong historical story which these games tell very well.
If you have a PC that could play an old PS3 game, Dynasty Warriors 7 Xtreme Legends might be good. While the combat is definitely not as refined and there's still clone characters, it has a story I've seen people regard as the best. I can't vouch for it myself but its currently on sale so I might grab it and finally find out.

Though it seems like there's aspects which are good about 9, but the budget clearly didn't cover the scope they wanted. It does sound like 9 has some with its story at least, but you actually have to play the game.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I did not know they even added this. Man if they had that at launch when I played it, it would have eased some of the problems I had with the game.

They've patched in a bunch of stuff since launch. Some of it is smaller stuff like music customization, music from previous games and lots of difficulty options

They've also done bigger things like overhauling sieges (so that they actually work, and even disable the grapple hook feature)

Glad to hear that the kingdoms start to branch off in Chapter 3. I was kind of expecting the same maps considering how the names of all the chapters are the same. Knowing that the Jin faction is basically post - Wei helps.

Really bummed out with the moveset system though. I'm assuming that trigger attacks and musou specials are the only ones that are unique to each character?

I'm probably going to youtube the others faction characters.

With movesets, everyone (except Lu Bu) shares a weapon with another character, though they get at least one unique trigger and a unique state combo finisher with their weapon. Example:

In the video above, you can see that Xu Shu has that unique kickflip launcher while Cao Cao has that unique ice rain air combo finisher. That's all the variation to the movesets + everyone gets a unique special, a unique musou and a unique air musou. Everyone can also use any weapon (but that's not new to DW9, it's been a thing since DW7).

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
interesting that they hadn't done character endings since 5. The very same entry I had last played and come back with the entry that brings it back.. lol.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I've played and own all since 4.
5 is my favourite. It's basically an improvement over 4 which was already special.
8 is the closest one to 5 and is pretty damn good. It's basically this generation's 5. Get it!

9 is the only one I have not purchased simply because of how poor it appeared to be when I did my research on it.
Eagerly waiting for 10 and hoping it goes back to what made 8 and 5 special.

Also Empire mode is awesome in 8 just as it was in 5.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They've also done bigger things like overhauling sieges (so that they actually work, and even disable the grapple hook feature)
Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?!

I've said this in countless threads before, but I really enjoyed the flow of DW9. It's not a perfect game by a long stretch; as others have noted, its very rough, and Omega Force really bit off more than they could chew. But I still really had a lot of fun with it once I got into the flow. It really disappointments that DW10/Samurai Warriors 5 likely won't be open world, because for all of the flaws that DW9 has, it was a change of pace that I appreciated.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I've played and own all since 4.
5 is my favourite. It's basically an improvement over 4 which was already special.
8 is the closest one to 5 and is pretty damn good. It's basically this generation's 5. Get it!

9 is the only one I have not purchased simply because of how poor it appeared to be when I did my research on it.
Eagerly waiting for 10 and hoping it goes back to what made 8 and 5 special.

Also Empire mode is awesome in 8 just as it was in 5.

Yeah, I always thought out of 3 - 5, I had thought 5 was the best. Then I just fell out of the series.

I guess 9 is an acquired taste but uh.. I really don't dig the open world design. I guess it's cause they've never done anything like it before but still..

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly didn't like DW5 that much. For some reason, it just felt kind of lifeless to me after DW3&4.

DW7&8 are easily favorites of mine without qualification. And I already said my piece on 9.

I really want an open world Samurai Warriors 5, damn it.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm at a loss of words as to describe how awful my first hour and a half experience has been with this game. I love the fact that there are a bunch of new characters I've never seen before. Finished chapter 1 of Wu's scenario and this is just freaking bad.

Not doing my research beforehand has cost me dearly.

Don't even get me started on the story progression system. The fact if you want to try out a different character in story mode at a later chapter, you have to start square 1. Not to mention there aren't any story differences between each character.

---

Fucking hell, this game is so bad.
Throw it in the garbage can and pick up one of the orochi games or one piece warriors games

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone attempted modding the game? Given the wide open world landscape, this is one game I feel is 100% suitable for a total conversion mod of some sort.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Played some more of it...

I think if they had truly truly put more effort and thought into this, it would have actually been a good game. The maps are just unnecessarily too large and made worse by the useless sidequests. Also just funny as hell at the useless nature of gates when you can rappel hook and just open them for your army.

Also it's just too funny how the 4 unique NPCs turn out to be the DLC characters. Also the weapons...

This is also my first time playing with Japanese VA for the series.. and it's actually made this a lot more tolerable. Doing this with the English dub would have been a nightmare. That's only something I could have tolerated a decade ago.

Thankfully each character has at least a unique special and musou / aerial musou. If not for that I wouldn't even bother playing this to the end.
(Saw the moveset sfor DW 7 and 8..... those look way more fun. Don't care how much of a gimmick some may look, it's way better. That DW 8 Dong Zhuo moveset is something else.)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
While I am no fan of DW9 being open world, I honestly feel that if they did not make the map as huge as they did, it would improve the game quite a bit.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
While I am no fan of DW9 being open world, I honestly feel that if they did not make the map as huge as they did, it would improve the game quite a bit.

I agree. It's actually pretty cool to see the ROTK setting in this way.. but it's just way too big. Like.. all those out of bound battles are areas nobody is going to go out of their way to engage in because there's no substance to it. The design of the game baffles me.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Give Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada a try if you can. I've also grown tired of the traditional Musou formula, didn't try DW9 because I've only heard bad things; couldn't get into Orochi because I'm not into the mythical/exaggerated design, but Spirit of Sanada really scratched that Musou itch for me. It's very narrative driven and focuses solely on the Sanada family. There are hub worlds and maps to explore. Not a full scale open world but it's a good mix between something new and the traditional gameplay.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Probably my biggest preorder regret this generation. It's pretty trash.

Like even if you enjoyed it - I don't see how this game is good value vs a lot of other $60 games. Especially on the base PS4 like I bought it on. I wish I at least got it on the PC so I could increase the resolution.

They nerfed alot of the characters movesets and scaled the game back in a lot of other areas that I can't remember right now. I gave up after 4 or 5 hours.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
This was probably the worst game to implement a 'story' for all 90+ characters AND an overhaul of the combat system, what with having to create an open world for the first time.

So many corners were cut. So many features were half assed. It's sad because there was an opportunity to implement some unique ROTK-esque features, on top of actual (player led) army vs army battles which the vast, empty plains were perfect for.

It's sad that the developers are tossing all of this effort away for future mainline instalments, but honestly I despised my time with it.