• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing DQXIS on Switch a lot now for about 12 hours recorded over the last few days. The game started picking up for me once you leave the village of Cobblestone and actually start fighting monsters regularly. There's a demo that carries your progress on Switch if you're interested in trying it out. Hell I'm pretty sure I've not reached the point where the demo ends even though I'm playing the full game. :P

I'm also amazed at how gorgeous it looks, despite textures being a little on the low-res side. The orchestral music (fuck Koichi Sugiyama though) is top notch. I actually love how 60's it sounds, even like the 60's Batman show as Vinny from Vinesauce also pointed out in his playthrough which is funny. :P The combat is tried and true turn-based gameplay and I'll always love that. Spells are easy to pull off. You get the Hero's Heal spell very early on after a couple of level ups so make sure to get it ASAP. The story is surprisingly engaging and the British voices (even the text is written in literal British, right from the 'orse's mouth gov! :P) is super charming.

Right now it gets my top recommendation to anyone with a Switch, and of course over the PS4 and Steam versions for the music alone. You still get the Synthesized music as an option (only in the full game, it's blocked off in the demo) and yep, it's horrible. But give that a go if you just feel like hearing how bad it is or just want a change of pace. Apparently you get DQ8's music at some point but I guess it's later in the game? I see no option for it at least. If JP voice-acting is your thing, this version also exclusively has it. The other versions was mute and only got English voice-acting added in the localization, but the Switch version added JP voice-acting for the first time.

Oh and I think the Switch version also exclusively adds the faster battle options; normal, fast, and fastest and it's certainly MUCH appreciated when you grind.

So yeah, this is quickly rising up my GOTY ranks which right now is occupied by Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch, but this may be #2 at least.

Have some screens!

EMW4yhNUYAAv-9C
EMW4ygbU4AACbkO
EMW4ygVUwAA0PZD

Oh and the thread title is legit as the narrator in that E3 trailer always sounded like he said "darkspine" to me. :P

What are your thoughts? :)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Great game. One of the best of the generation. Was great to play a classical RPG like this with modern production values.

Wasn't a huge fan of the post-game or third story arc or whatever you want to call it, but everything up to that was aces.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm playing through it right now! It's pretty good, and I also love the game's looks. It's so charming and bright. The story is kind of a bit too slow in its pacing for my liking, but the cast of characters and their interactions are great.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You ain't seen nothing yet! One of my favorite games this year for sure, and the Switch implementation is nothing short of miraculous. Enjoy!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts are that you haven't seen anything at 12 hours! This game really goes places eventually. Anyway, if you've enjoyed it so far, I think you're going to love the rest of the game.

Also a minor correction: I'm pretty sure PS4 /PC version does have a fast battle speed option battle. The Switch version just added the fastest option.

Wasn't a huge fan of the post-game or third story arc or whatever you want to call it, but everything up to that was aces.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It would be pretty good for a post game, for people who just want to keep messing around in the world after they're done. But if you think of it as a third act, then it isn't very good in my opinion.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the longest DQ game then? I know VII is supposed to be super-long, but does this game have even that one beat?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is this the longest DQ game then? I know VII is supposed to be super-long, but does this game have even that one beat?

It's hard to definitively state how long either game takes - VII is long but it's a lot longer if you have weak party setups or get too distracted with side-content, but XI has difficulty options that force you to grind or spend way longer preparing for boss fights. They both clock in over 100 hours easy if you're aiming to do the majority of unique content the games offer, and VII has it beat for 100% completion since you'd need to catch every monster and master every class.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
This may be my Christmas gift to myself this year. I was hoping for a sale, but played the demo to completion way back and am itching to dive into the rest.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
This game is absolutely fantastic and I'll miss it a lot once I finally beat it tomorrow. It's easily the best game I've played on the Switch so far and I'm very excited to get into the rest of the franchise. I also appreciate how it lets you turn voice acting completely off, which is what I did since I personally enjoy it more that way. Really wish other games had this option.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a 10/10.

Blink

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first games in a long time where I genuinely miss the world and characters now weeks after beating it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Cannot recommend this game enough to anybody who likes JRPGs. My GOTY and a the best porting effort on the platform.

The biggest problem in the game is the music. It's good enough (at least for XI S), but far too few tracks. I also recommend switching to the orchestral DQVIII overworld theme.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Cannot recommend this game enough to anybody who likes JRPGs. My GOTY and a the best porting effort on the platform.

The biggest problem in the game is the music. It's good enough (at least for XI S), but far too few tracks. I also recommend switching to the orchestral DQVIII overworld theme.

Where do you find the DQ8 music? I didn't notice it in the misc menu, maybe I didn't look hard enough?

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you find the DQ8 music? I didn't notice it in the misc menu, maybe I didn't look hard enough?

it's not super intuitive and I don't think it's unlockable in the demo. Pretty sure you have to download the free DLC from the eshop, and once done you have to enable it in game from somewhere in the menus (misc ->?) .

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 25 hours in and mostly enjoying it. The light hearted sense of humor is great, but it feels very episodic. Like go to a town do a thing move onto the next repeat, with very little development in terms of characterization or intrigue or central plot. There is like zero tension or interaction between characters, it's like they're not even there. The game is mostly one note, except for the bit at Dundrasil.

Doubt I'll finish it given its length, but it's pretty excellent so far.

Battles are a fuckin snooze though, even though enemy design and animations are top notch.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
I enjoyed the demo but waiting for a sale, my rpg backlog from these Black Friday and Christmas sales is getting out of hand. Hopefully sometime in 2020!!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The game is spectacular. I'm not a huge fan of Act 3 because... well I won't get into it, but Act 2 was far better.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it, tho I took a break to play and finish up some other games this year (Modern Warfare, Halo Reach, Pokemon Sword), but I'll hop back in next month.

I'm probably 10-15 hours in and loving it.

It looks really downgraded on Switch huh

There's a downgrade, but the art style shines through imo.

Add in the new content, better music, all the QoL finishes like faster battle speeds, and the portability of the Switch it's a trade-off I'll make every single time. Definitive Edition indeed.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it, tho I took a break to play and finish up some other games this year (Modern Warfare, Halo Reach, Pokemon Sword), but I'll hop back in next month.

I'm probably 10-15 hours in and loving it.

There's a downgrade, but the art style shines through imo.

Add in the new content, better music, all the QoL finishes like faster battle speeds, and the portability of the Switch it's a trade-off I'll make every single time. Definitive Edition indeed.

Of course, the game is gorgeous, I was just stating a fact. It's the first time I fully looked at the Switch version on my TV and it's a drastic downgrade from the PS4 Pro version that I played

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Still on my first playthrough! In fact, I've been pretty much playing only that since it released (the birth of my first child occurred at the same time so I couldn't dedicate much time obviously!).

I am currently 97 hours in and god damn is this good. I've been playing with Harder Enemies and it's been a breath of fresh air. It truly is a fantastic JRPG and one of my favorite games on the switch (behind Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which I have close to 200 hours in).

I am currently on Post-Game ACT3 and I still get excited to pick it up and play more.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Played for 10 hours or so. It looks really gorgeous but I'm bored out of my mind most of the time playing it. Glad to hear the story is going places, because so far it's super vanilla and takes forever to get going.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Liked it a lot when I played it last year on PS4, but really ended up loving it on Switch this year, to the point where I'd consider it one of my favorite games ever. Glad you're enjoying it!

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I played it on PS4 and enjoyed it thoroughly until the last ~1/4th of the game started to feel dragged out.

Is the 2D pixel/old school graphics mode fun, or can anyone weigh in on that?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved JRPGs but couldn't get into this at all. Between the cutesy monsters and boring combat, I was turned off from the demo real quick.

The crafting was cool and I did like the story though.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally plat games (mostly because I find checklists annoying) but I did do for this, and I adored it. The post game was great, and I loved every moment leading up to it.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
This game is absolutely fantastic and I'll miss it a lot once I finally beat it tomorrow. It's easily the best game I've played on the Switch so far and I'm very excited to get into the rest of the franchise. I also appreciate how it lets you turn voice acting completely off, which is what I did since I personally enjoy it more that way. Really wish other games had this option.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a 10/10.

Just saw the ending. Man, what a ride this was, I already know I'll miss it a lot. One of the best games I've ever played for sure!

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Curious, do people...
...consider Act III part of the main story or do they consider it post-game content?