• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I'm 40 hours into it on Switch and I'm enjoying my time with it, but it's far from greatest of all time tier imo.

Everything is just basic af, and apart from Veronica and Sylvando (and the big baddie voiced by Kiryu), none of the characters are interesting.

It's a comfort blanket game, but I can't put it high up there with the Persona 5s, the Suikoden IIs, the SMTs and the like.

I enjoyed my small time with DQ VIII more than XI, also.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is excellent. The only critique I have is act 3, and mainly because I felt like I already got a fully satisfying conclusion in act 2, and act 3 has some choices I wasn't super fond of. The pacing was also immaculate up to that point (which is impressive since it was already an 80+ hour game by then), but act 3 does slow to a crawl.

Still, I can't recommend it enough.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to classic fantasy and classic turn based RPG on current consoles I can't think of many.

But it's great. Great cast, some twists, great towns, and loved the battle system.

Wished I played S. The orchestral soundtrack must be nice.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 40 hours into it on Switch and I'm enjoying my time with it, but it's far from greatest of all time tier imo.

Everything is just basic af, and apart from Veronica and Sylvando (and the big baddie voiced by Kiryu), none of the characters are interesting.

It's a comfort blanket game, but I can't put it high up there with the Persona 5s, the Suikoden IIs, the SMTs and the like.

I enjoyed my small time with DQ VIII more than XI, also.

I agree. A lot of the characters are kind of generic and boiler template too. Sylvando is an exception though.

WTF?! Thankfully it is turn based.

It's great to see franchises like DQ sticking to it's roots unlike the Final Fantasy series. We need more turn based RPG's.
They've been trying to incorporate action-based combat into FF as far back as IV. It's fine if people don't like it but I feel like people act like the series changing from turned based to action is out of nowhere when it's not.

Hiromichi Tanaka: From FFI and on, we would always look at the previous games for things we felt could have been better. FFI had an orthodox design, while II featured a narrative story plus a brand new growth system that didn't use experience points. FFIII had jobs you could switch between while you fought, the ability to cast multi-target spells, and other such gameplay tempo improvements, as well as more fully-refined experience and battle systems.

After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore… Instead, it was eventually released as "Seiken Densetsu 2" (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as "Chrono Trigger". (laugh)

At the time, just after FFIII, we were working with Mr. Toriyama on a game with a seamless, side-view system. A CD-ROM attachment for the Super Famicom was scheduled to be released, you see. So we had this enormous game planned out for the CD-ROM attachment, but ultimately we were never able to release it.

So we had the Chrono Trigger project changed to a new game, and this other game we had been working on was condensed down into Seiken Densetsu 2. Because of this, Seiken 2 always felt like a sequel to FFIII to me. Source.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yup. Everything is true. So glad I put over 250 hours into it. Had to experience every nook and cranny the game had to offer. Excellent game.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Always confused when I see this take. The blandness of the MC + perceived jankiness of the entire dungeon escape sequence near the beginning turned me off the game entirely.

Looked into more clips of gameplay from later sections before deciding it wasn't for me 🤷‍♂️

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Unfortunately I don't think we will be rid of Sugiyama until he passes, due to his clout in Japan (that goes way beyond DQ, so much so that DQ is just a small mark on the list of things he has done since the 60s) and his ownership of the music and sounds of the franchise.

We won't be, but for such a progressive forum, everyone sure seems willing to overlook that inconvenient fact.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's a marvelous game and the format I want my JRPGs in. Keep open worlds to other genres.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just started it and it's a slow beginning to say the least. Does it pick up later on?
The beginning is the worst part of the game easily. It's really slow as you said and also it's not the most fun to play with only one character (and Gemma's repetitive one-liners during battle get grating). It most definitely gets better. :P

I set my game to classic camera and "fast" battle speed which sped things up along considerably.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Really didn't like the end 3rd of the game the rest was great though as it just felt like tedious padding to me.

Mainly from the section when re-gathering all your party back together, just felt like it took forever even with the fast battle speeds

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I found the game more enjoyable without any difficulty settings. I've never looked for challenge in DQ games - they're long but chill adventures for me. The series is played by children and casual gamers in short bursts so the creators want everyone to get through this very long game.

That said I like the idea of the no exp from weaker monsters option since it lets you fill in bestiary and farm for items without getting overleveled. And of course everyone can play the game how they want.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I played the old PC version. I found it nice but it got boring after a while, it's very "vanilla", there is nothing exciting about it. There is no amazing gameplay progression, the story is uninteresting, the characters are very plain, I didn't find any compelling reason to keep going after about 10 hours when I realized there was nothing to see beyond discovering new areas, and those weren't that interesting to begin with.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While it's a nice game, it's far from the best imo. I would rather say it's pretty average, but it was also my first Dragon Quest, so maybe i expected too much?

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Played Vanilla DQXI on PS4, one of the best JRPG's ever and it even surpassed DQ VIII for me.
Got the platinum and played almost 170 hours. Fantastic stuff.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the gush in this thread as "best rpg ever" and "greatest rpg of all time" what makes this story so special that it rivals games like Xenogears and such?

edit: This isn't snarky, I have gamepass and would play it if it's actually an amazing crazy story that does innovative things.
My top 5 JRPGs (in no particular order) are:
Bravely Default
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy IX
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenogears

At a glance, all very different games. Some traditional in its storytelling and battle systems, others not so much. The thing they all have in common however is the sense of adventure you experience in each. Each of these worlds feel much bigger than what is actually presented to the player, and all have a history, sense of culture and life to it that feels like these worlds existed well before you even press the start button. That's what makes DQXI special.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
this game is perfect. I did not expect to like it that much but it feels so comfortable and cozy, like spending time with your old friend. There is nothing revolutionary about DQXI, but it doesnt have to be. I'm always comparing DQ franchise to Final Fantasy, which has similar roots but is evolving with every game. Final Fantasy now is almost unrecognizable and i am liking it less with every game. DQ was always stable and reliable and i like it for it. But DQXI is not just old-school, its also really well made. You can see ridiculous amounts of work has gone into the game. Characters, the world, side-quests, story
it ended twice and then just kept going...
. Everything is top notch about this game and it took the first place on my RPG list.
Btw, i played it with the "hard enemies" option, and it felt just right.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go for the Switch. The game looks pretty good and you can farm Metal Slimes wherever you want
I personally think rpgs are just more enjoyable on the switch with its always on instant resume feature plus portability.

This game is really smart in its pacing. You always feel like you can accomplish something in 30-45 minutes for 90% of the game.

I played it on regular Switch and most of the game was handheld but for boss fights or some of the more epic moments I would go to the tv to enjoy the presentation.

A lot of people call this game comfort food and it really is.

Thanks!

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I felt it dramatically overstayed its welcome and was very poorly paced relative to the genre (and franchise) highs.

Its post-turn scenario for
Jade
is also low key repugnant sexist bullshit, so they can fuck right off.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played the old PC version. I found it nice but it got boring after a while, it's very "vanilla", there is nothing exciting about it. There is no amazing gameplay progression, the story is uninteresting, the characters are very plain, I didn't find any compelling reason to keep going after about 10 hours when I realized there was nothing to see beyond discovering new areas, and those weren't that interesting to begin with.
Ah well that's unfortunate. The 10 hour mark is when the demo ends and the game had its hooks in me at that point

Oct 27, 2017
I actually felt this as well, as much as I know it goes against the games wishes. Played it 2 hours, it felt so goddamn slow.

Aside from that, it ran amazing on my 10 year (!) old PC (game pass, god bless the nerfed Switch graphics, I guess) but the girl screaming 'YOU CAN DO IT' is a real uh.... well, uh... not good introduction to someone who is open to JRPG, can look past certaint things... But don't step on toes, all the time... Kind of thing. And she keeps stepping on toes. Oh dear god. :P
The intro with the girl takes all of 15 minutes though, you won't have to hear it after that. Most Dragon Quest games take a while to take off, I really didn't find the beginning all that slow or annoying. Gave me some time to bond with Erik and it felt like two best friends on an adventure, before more party members showed up.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree OP, I was honestly extremely disappointed after I beat it on PC. I may go back and play through the S version to see if it fixes the issues I had with it, but I've never had any desire to replay the base game.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jett being positive about a game... this is quite a thing. Hell, I am downloading the demo today .

Unfortunately I decided to start Hades yesterday and I am hooked, so it may take a while.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Okay. This thread has sold me on finally playing it. Those environments look wonderful and I haven't played a Dragon's Quest in a decade.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
They've been trying to incorporate action-based combat into FF as far back as IV. It's fine if people don't like it but I feel like people act like the series changing from turned based to action is out of nowhere when it's not.

Yes, ATB has been around since IV, but at least it still slow enough where it felt turn-based at that point and X went back to fully turn-based. In later entries it went to hell and FF XVI is supposed to be completely action. So I see where he is coming from and I agree with him.

So count me as another one that is glad DQ has stuck to it's roots.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to force my way through it waiting on it to click. Its the turned based thing, I just don't get it. I'll keep going though.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The music is so garbo tho. I played about twenty hours on base PS4 and gave up, it's just insufferable. Hope to have another crack at it soon. The combat is chill and the art style is extremely my shit. But for a JRPG to have bad music... that's like the eighth deadly sin.

Maybe next time I'll have a 100-hour playlist of JRPG-appropriate music I can play with the game's score on mute.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Started this with the demo version convinced I don't have the time to play, but decided to do it Tim Rogers style and not stress about "completing" it any time soon and, wouldn't you know it, the game is just a gem. I play 30-45 a few nights a week, and imagine I'll take a few weeks or months off at the chapter breaks and treat it more as an anthology series.

Also LOVE how easy it is. Still have to think a little bit, but after Demons Souls and Hades and a bunch of deep systems driven games, skipping along the overworld and exploring little towns, all stress free, is the BEST.

JeffJeff

Jul 13, 2020
It's such a chill game. I loved all of the stories it tells and the cast. Also, the english dub is awesome.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it for the most part but I feel like it didn't quite push things enough. The story and characters were likable but predictable, the combat and exploration was well done but rather standard, the music was passable, and the pacing could have been better. It felt like comfort food essentially, which is fine, but it never challenged or surprised me. I think it is the definition of an 8 out of 10 for me. Kind of like how most Tales of games are the definition of a 7 out of 10.

My favorite parts were definitely that sequence with Sylvando and Mount Pang Lai.

Edit: I think V and VIII are better Dragon Quest games still but XI slots in front of VI and VII from the ones I have played.

Nov 9, 2017
Cannot bring myself to finish this game. It really is pretty good, just nothing outstanding for me. I am thinking about giving the Cold Steel series a shot since I liked the battle system from the 1st game.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I really wanted to like this one, but unfortunately found it to be completely insipid. The horrible and repetitive music making it all the worse experience.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I still liked it a lot, but I really didn't like the direction the plot went in the final act/post-game. And by that point, the re-use of the same monsters was getting very old along with the lack of new areas to visit.