• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
A very solid JRPG, albeit way too slow and without any innovation.
7/10, would NOT play to completion ever again.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
absolutely not.

Dragon Quest XI is an extremely bizarre case where the Original was designed for the PS4/XBO but the "definitive" version was built for the Nintendo Switch. Instead of including the definitive edition extras as DLC, Square ported the Switch version to PS4/XBO as the "definitive" edition and it looks like complete ass in comparison.

They then removed all copies of the original from digital storefronts. The only way you can play an XBO/PS4 copy of that game that doesn't look terrible is the original on disc.
The extras are well worth it. Even with the lower quality assets. It's essentially the definitive version. Also, better music.

I do agree it sucks that they used the Switch assets. It's unfortunate. Should've been paid DLC for PS4/PC owners.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going through it and enjoying it. Somewhere in the middle of act 2 i believe. I like it, but i feel like it lost a lot of its innocent, simple charm from the first act in the second. Feels like it becomes a way more cliche GOOD VS EVUL adventure which i'm not too fond of. i'm also ignoring all the tickington content after i did the ones for I and II since i havent played the others and have no nostalgia for it

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I played this recently and thought it was quite good. A solid 7/10.

I'll never forget the overworld exploration music. But I wish I could forget the battle music.

Combat was only "okay". I had my fun with it, but it was also very repetitive and didn't really feel very good.

Story is surprisingly good and the cast of characters are pretty good, with the exception of the MC.

I'd put a whole bunch of RPGs above it, but it was nice to play a simple, straight forward JRPG.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 10/10 game before act 3. That drops one point from it.
I really don't like time jump plot twists. It made act 2 and all what characters had went trough feel meaningless

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The extras are well worth it. Even with the lower quality assets. It's essentially the definitive version. Also, better music.

I do agree it sucks that they used the Switch assets. It's unfortunate. Should've been paid DLC for PS4/PC owners.

I have the original on Steam. Would you say it's still worth me playing S on Gamepass over the original version?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Absolutely agreed. I wish we could have gotten a definitive edition with the best of both worlds. But yeah, it's probably one of the best JRPGs this generation.

It's also a good game to mention next time someone complains that they want to have a AAA jrpg

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
This game does dramatic moments so well. And the best parts, they are not over-acting and anime noise-yelling like most, they are very quiet and touching.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have the original on Steam. Would you say it's still worth me playing S on Gamepass over the original version?

If the opinion of someone completely clueless about DQ who didnt even finish this one yet counts -
I went through the extra content in the beginning of Act 2 and really enjoyed it. I feel like they're pretty essential to the story and cant even imagine the game without it. Feels like it leaves a void akin to the void in FFXV when your party members are scattered around, but even worse because i actually cared for the people in DQ; Also QoL i guess, not having the forge everywhere and how to buy ingredients must be a pain

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the nice write up.

Tangential question: I've had dq seven for years. How do you guys like that one?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but it has pacing problems during the second act and too much backtracking. A problem some of the Dragon Quest games have. I think DQVIII is easily still the best DQ game. DQXII is on par with Persona 4+5 which are also pretty "classic" JRPG, at least the battle systems.

But there have been better JRPGs in the last 15 years for me. And while these aren't entirely "classic" games it just shows that some innovation and modernization isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am talking about Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII+XIV, Radiant Historia and Xenoblade Chronicles 1+X which all feel like classic JRPGs but are more fun in their actual gameplay part.

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Downside, every copy a person buys of Dragon Quest 11 contributes to Koichi Sugiyama being able to fund propoganda aiming to dispute Japanese war atrocities.

It's a little strange and unfortunate not a single person has mentioned in this thread the slight issue that the composer makes significant amounts of money and cultural influence from Dragon Quest, and then uses that money and influence to deny the Nanking Massacre, mock LGBT people and promote hardcore, revisionist history and intensely racist nationalism.

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Switch demo last year and really enjoyed it. Had every intention of playing it by now but was trying to finish up some other games, first. I picked up the recent PS4 release and will play through it after I finish Suikoden II. Going to go with Stronger Monsters, EXP Cap and No Shopping. At least to start and see how that works out. Really looking forward to the playthrough.

If only it wasn't turn based 😔

Ugh, everyone is welcome to their own opinions, I guess.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I played the original PS4 version and loved it but burned out on the end game stuff. Is it worth playing again in 2d?

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
The best JRPG of the last 20 years, without question. The only thing dragging it down from GOAT status is lack of innovation.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
absolutely not.

Dragon Quest XI is an extremely bizarre case where the Original was designed for the PS4/XBO but the "definitive" version was built for the Nintendo Switch. Instead of including the definitive edition extras as DLC, Square ported the Switch version to PS4/XBO as the "definitive" edition and it looks like complete ass in comparison.

They then removed all copies of the original from digital storefronts. The only way you can play an XBO/PS4 copy of that game that doesn't look terrible is the original on disc.
Ahhh thank you for saying this. I was curious about the way people were talking about the S version. There's so many different names for special editions that it gets confusing some times

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Help me out here. I played the demo and wasn't sold on it. The game seemed too easy (simplistic?). The flat voice acting, along with the main character being mute, turned me off. The repetitive music and NPCs got on my nerves quickly. If this is the worst of it, I'd be willing to give it another shot, though I've been debating between this and Xenoblade Chronicles DE for my next RPG for a while...

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The best JRPG of the last 20 years, without question. The only thing dragging it down from GOAT status is lack of innovation.

People were saying that about DQ8, I remember. For me that's part of what makes DQ great, which is that it doesn't depend on so many time-consuming systems to get going.

It's one of the few properties in gaming where you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get 15 years on.

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
People were saying that about DQ8, I remember. For me that's part of what makes DQ great, which is that it doesn't depend on so many time-consuming systems to get going.

It's one of the few properties in gaming where you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get 15 years on.
I totally get what you're saying, but I disagree. I'm a huge DQ fanboy, played all of them, and I think it's about damn time the series shakes things up. It's a tremendous risk at this point but i'm willing to give the developers the chance to deliver a potential "BOTW" of the franchise.

But taking that aside, DQ11 is already my favorite JRPG of all time. It has damn near perfect pacing, tight combat, good soundtrack (yes, good) shitton of fun content and a great story with what I believe to be the best cast of characters ever in a videogame.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I put about 5 hours in this time last year but it didn't grab me. For some reason I got the urge to pick it back up just as we went into lockdown and I'm SO glad I did. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this game (along with Animal Crossing) helped me get through those initial months of the pandemic. Just an utterly charming, wholesome, old-school adventure, just like they used to make.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
For me it started strong but really took a nosedive in Act 2.
The combat got stripped back to much in the start of Act 2 and got boring. It was also just a touch too long too, and that was even without the post game content

It's a good game just not great for me

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the gush in this thread as "best rpg ever" and "greatest rpg of all time" what makes this story so special that it rivals games like Xenogears and such?

edit: This isn't snarky, I have gamepass and would play it if it's actually an amazing crazy story that does innovative things.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's really good. My favorite part of the game is the enemy designs and their animations in combat. The playable cast is also quite strong, and there are a lot of added cosmetic options in the "S" version of the game.
Definitely! Enemy animations are a real treat, flawlessly made. They're cartoon quality.

lZs7Zfz.gif

MnOiMXH.gif

HWHO8KF.gif

3QzYRvp.gif

lo3CNdr.gif

aUrXJwl.gif

hPkaCBI.gif

7FpoAUU.gif

MY5cNQ0.gif

Glad I was able to play this game at 60fps! Just makes them all the more sweeter.

I was also surprised by the amount of alternate costumes you can get for your characters. Erik has the best ones I think.

DaooZHB.png

absolutely not.

What gross hyperbole. This is still a really nice looking game.

Maybe one day you'll get your super definitive version on PS5.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have this on GPU but considering buying it for Switch to play over Christmas, how is that version compared to others?
It's the same game content-wise. As far I understand it looks and runs fine on the Switch if you want to play it on the go. I played on PC.

Thanks for the nice write up.

Tangential question: I've had dq seven for years. How do you guys like that one?
I loved DQ7 on the PS1. I imagine you have it on 3DS though lol, and I imagine it's a much tighter, better paced version of the game.
Help me out here. I played the demo and wasn't sold on it. The game seemed too easy (simplistic?). The flat voice acting, along with the main character being mute, turned me off. The repetitive music and NPCs got on my nerves quickly. If this is the worst of it, I'd be willing to give it another shot, though I've been debating between this and Xenoblade Chronicles DE for my next RPG for a while...
The demo starts out super slow to be honest but the more I played the more it grabbed me. It's a super meaty 10-hour demo. If you aren't into it by the end then it's probably not for you though.
Considering the gush in this thread as "best rpg ever" and "greatest rpg of all time" what makes this story so special that it rivals games like Xenogears and such?

edit: This isn't snarky, I have gamepass and would play it if it's actually an amazing crazy story that does innovative things.
To me, the story is special by Dragon Quest standards and just the nature of the game itself. You play as a genuinely likeable cast of characters that get put through the ringer during this adventure. There's some honest to goodness character development for everyone and truly emotional moments in the game that hit like a ton of bricks. I don't really want to delve into spoiler territory. The game is more than its story though. It's really the world that drew me in.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Also a lapsed jRPG fan from the 90's and 00's.

Been dying to play this but barely touched it on PS4, then Switch. Now debating a third purchase on one of the new consoles. Not sure which yet.

Any analysis on benefits to PS5 or XSX?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Is the S version worth it if I have the OG version on PS4? I got close to the end of the game but never finished it

Oh shit I forgot it actually has an orchestrated OST, that might be worth it alone goddamn

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even thought Im enjoying Yakuza Like a Dragon, I couldnt stop thinking about how terrible are its RPG mechanics after playing 80 hours of Dragon Quest XI

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that Square releases a fixed version of S on PC (re: graphics)?

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 40, only turn based RPG I've played is KOTOR, just bought this for Switch. Need a new game on Switch to really dig into.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I spent all this time waiting and doting on ffvii coming out since it was announced, and let this one just go under the radar. I'm playing it now and I love the hell out of it. It's top ten all time for me I think.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Is the S version worth it if I have the OG version on PS4? I got close to the end of the game but never finished it
Might as well finish OG version.

If you want to start from scratch, depends if you want to spend the $40. You'd get better music, a better world theme, more hours of content (a lot in 2D side quests that are nostalgia fan service though), faster battle options.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I agree it's a masterpiece.

I LOVE that they kept the battles turn-based. Not every RPG needs to jump on the real-time action battle bandwagon.

The characters are great, even the ones that annoyed me in the beginning.

But I refuse to buy it again for a downgraded version. I wish SE hadn't cheaped out with the "definitive" edition.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Loved playing this on the Switch. Amazing turn-based JRPG that made me felt like I was 12 years old again.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
VIII is still my favorite but I loved every minute I played of XI and I am so glad that the DQ team is still able to make something this good all these years later. I'll have to get this version eventually but I paid $60 for the original and put 80 hours into it so I am not gonna pay full price for this one. I'll wait for it to go down to $20.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I completed the game with all Draconian quests on and absolutely loved my time with it, even if it took me more than 100 hours, now I'm playing some Tales of and I miss Dragon Quest lmao
Tales of and they broken pacing is killing me, I might want to replay DQ 11S after that.