• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Yo,

So I´m diggin´ further in my backlog and has been playing DQ11 on my Switch for the last couple of weeks. I´m somewhere mid to late act 2 (I think).
Dragon Quest has been one of my favorite roleplaying series for at long time. It stands out by keeping it´s feet on the ground, which is rare in todays JRPG market.

The spotlight being on the smaller stories along the journey, but never losing the focus on the relatively simple overarching story tying the game together. This coupled with a pretty brisk pace (minus VII and maybe VIII) has made the games very enjoyable.

The game takes a lot of what made the earlier games great and makes them better.
But,
this game also very much feels like a one step forth, two steps back kinda situation.

The game is incredibly drawn out. Regarding the main story, the entire first act could have been a short introduction. It´s simply bogged down by it´s own ambition.
Take the villains for example. They show up for a couple of very short appearances in the first what 25hrs? Essentially, you don´t give a shit about them or what they´re up to.
You´ve been running aorund fixing the "smaller" problems around the world, with almost zero profound connection to the main plot.

Mind you, there´s always been like this balance between the vignettes and main story, but I think previous games handled it better.

This game throws a huge amount of stuff your way, barraging you with small details, exposition and slow voice acting that goes absolutely nowhere. It constantly tells you the same things over and over again from different angles, but it very rarely gives you a greater understandment or appreciation of it. it constantly tries to make high stakes, but then keeps peddling back instead of making real consequences.

At the end of act 1 there was a glimmer of some real consequences, but when act 2 starts up, nothing really changed. The same monsters are roaming around causing the same trouble in the same areas.

Also, the pacing completely dies at the beginning of act 2. What do you want the most after an exciting cliffhanger ending of act 1? If you were thinking of boring, mandatory "sidequests", with combat that is essentially impossible to loose for 6 hours, then guess what? This game has got you covered. The side characters parts in act 2 were so boring, that I fell asleep multiple times playing it.

Thankfully the game picks up speed afterwards, but it´s dissapointing that you´re walking through the exact same towns, talking to the same people.
I´ve heard that act 3 is even worse in this regard, but I don´t know how as I´ve not made it as far. It´s sorta starting to feel like Bravely default with it´s unbearable rehash in the end.

Otherwise the game is charming with simple and relaxing gameplay, lovely art for the most part, a well realized world and great music that is really enhanced by the performance of the symphony orchestra (although there´s way too few tracks for a game this long).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree with these critics
I finished it and ejoyed it but maaaaaaaaaaan, some part was SO HARD to go through just because unappealing and boring and repetitive

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also, the pacing completely dies at the beginning of act 2. What do you want the most after an exciting cliffhanger ending of act 1? If you were thinking of boring, mandatory "sidequests", with combat that is essentially impossible to loose for 6 hours, then guess what? This game has got you covered. The side characters parts in act 2 were so boring, that I fell asleep multiple times playing it.

I agree that the bonus stories between Act 1 & Act 2 aren't the best, but the whole thing is maybe 2 hours long. I can't imagine how you'd drag it out for 6 hours unless you actually did fall asleep for a few hours while playing it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I didn't find the interlude stuff that bad, it was a nice change of pace and rounded things out after a high-tension encounter.

It's also nowhere near as bad as Bravely Default with the 'cycle' as everything still changes in DQ and it's more a matter of a repeated template of 'visit w, x and y and z' with major changes rather than repeated specific content, whereas little changes in BD. Even then with BD I always found the criticism a bit overblown and based on the idea that each chapter should be equal length, when you can easily dash through 5-7 in an hour and just do the handful of essential boss fights.

Ultimately I enjoyed DQXIS far more, best RPG on the Switch by a very long way. It's flaws are relatively minor to me, compared to BD where I do have a stack of other issues with it, mostly around the end game choices and what they mean. I look at BD2 and just can't get excited for it as I felt I'd had enough after BD and the demo for Bravely Second, 'Ballad of the Three Cavaliers.' I bought Bravely Second and still haven't played it, whereas I'd snap up any new DQ game in an instant.

OP
OP
cyklisten

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I agree that the bonus stories between Act 1 & Act 2 aren't the best, but the whole thing is maybe 2 hours long. I can't imagine how you'd drag it out for 6 hours unless you actually did fall asleep for a few hours while playing it.

I did literally fall asleep playing, but I took it into account with the 6 hrs (which is, admittedly with the "real" start of act 2 included).
As far as I can tell, it was only included in the Switch version, which is kind of a bummer. I actually think it would be better if it was left out or put somewhere else in the game. As is, it just slowed the game down to a crawl.

I didn't find the interlude stuff that bad, it was a nice change of pace and rounded things out after a high-tension encounter.

It's also nowhere near as bad as Bravely Default with the 'cycle' as everything still changes in DQ and it's more a matter of a repeated template of 'visit w, x and y and z' with major changes rather than repeated specific content, whereas little changes in BD. Even then with BD I always found the criticism a bit overblown and based on the idea that each chapter should be equal length, when you can easily dash through 5-7 in an hour and just do the handful of essential boss fights.

Ultimately I enjoyed DQXIS far more, best RPG on the Switch by a very long way. It's flaws are relatively minor to me, compared to BD where I do have a stack of other issues with it, mostly around the end game choices and what they mean. I look at BD2 and just can't get excited for it as I felt I'd had enough after BD and the demo for Bravely Second, 'Ballad of the Three Cavaliers.' I bought Bravely Second and still haven't played it, whereas I'd snap up any new DQ game in an instant.

I´m not necessarily saying that they are exactly the same, but I´m getting the same vibe with the rehashing. I know that JRPGs and Dragon Quest has made us go through the same areas several times, but this time it felt more burdensome, less interesting and more drawn out in my opinion.

I´m also still enjoying the game, it´s just taken a pretty big hit in act 2 so far.

Oct 31, 2017
The 👏 repeated 👏 content 👏 in 👏 Bravely 👏 Default 👏 is 👏 like 👏 2 👏 hours 👏 total 👏👏👏 people need to stop being ridiculous about it