• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I did the whole game with all Draconian setting on, on Switch.
It was super hard and couldn't equip armors so I ignored that part completely, but I loved it so much, I think it took le 100 hours to complete the whole game.
One day I'll do another playthrough without Draconian stuff but I fear it would be way too easy, haha.
Playing this on Game Pass and around 3 hours in. I'm enjoying the game so far but the music is god awful. I don't know how long I can listen to the same music over and over, lol. It's probably the worst music in a game I've ever heard outside of the music from Resident Evil Director's Cut.
Overworld theme is overused and is like 50 sec long so yeah, it is sooo bad.
I switch to DQ 8 theme early on and never regretted it.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Arrived today at
Gallopolis
and I am finding the game really slow. I am still interested in playing the rest of it, but I hope it picks up the pace a bit. I remember enjoying the previous one a lot, so I hope this is just the beginning.
I was also feeling the same until this point, and for me the pace picked up a bit between the city you are in now and the next (at least playing with the stronger monsters draconian setting on). Probably it was in the next city when I really started to enjoy a lot my time with DQXI. The slowest part is while there's only hero and Erik in the party, and I found things to get gradually better once the new members start to join.

Apr 3, 2018
I grew up on a steady diet of Square RPGs so DQ11 seemed right up my alley.

But man... it's gone on for too long. I'm at the start of Act 3 and I really have no desire to finish it.Can't I go back to being Sylv and traveling around with my merry band of mirth makers?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I keep reading this and one day I'm gonna be tempted to actually play this, but the length is so daunting
So here's the thing with DQ in general. The game is perfect for playing in chunks over time.

Check out Tim Roger's review on Youtube. He talks about this.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I am well into Act 2 and I am absolutely LOVING this game. I started right after Christmas and haven't been able to put it down since.

I can't say it's my favorite JRPG ever, but definitely of this generation and for a long time.

For those talking about the traditional battle system, the game not having any innovation, that's one of the reasons I love the game. I don't want Dragon Quest to take big steps, make changes. Final Fantasy has done that and it's turned me off. I like that I know what I'm getting with Dragon Quest. And that I will always get it with the series.

Horii, stay with what you know what has worked and never change it.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know right, I fucking love this game. I played it when it came out and I still think about this game regularly.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also the monster design in Dragon Quest rules.

I know it's not a big deal overall but having interesting monsters with fun names makes it a lot so encounter new ones. A lot of JRPGs sort of slack off with monster designs (I love Skies of Arcadia but it's monster design is straight garbage) but DQ delivers.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Man, I keep seeing impressions like these, and I can't help but feel a little jealous. I downloaded and deleted the demo twice. I've been hankering for a good JRPG for a while now (you know, just the whole party on a grand adventure vibe), but something about it completely kills my motivation to keep playing. Maybe it's the music. Maybe it's the silent protagonist. I just can't seem to give it enough time to click with me.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I liked it but it didn't do anything special for me. At times it was very boring and at others, excellent. It dragged on a bit too long in the end for me.

I can't see the zelda comparisons you are getting....

Also the music was bordering awful imho. The battle theme was just....

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
I love the game so much. I bought it on PS4 and pretty much stopped when I started hearing rumors of the Switch version with new content. I put in a solid 200 hours on my Switch, and now I'm doing another play through on my Series X. My favorite game since Skyrim...which I also started another play through with the 60fps mod.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah DQ11 is loong as a whole but individually each "chapter" of the game flows pretty well...you can usually finish each town's quest in a sitting, and that story is nearly set up, developed, and wrapped up. There's overarching plots intertwined to keep you interested but I feel the "monster of the week" feel of each town you visit keeps the game fresh and moving fast.

Most of the time spent for me is honestly seeing all the unique dialogue and breaking every pot and barrel which honestly feels so, good. But thanks to the game not being voiced originally, pretty much every cutscene is in-engine and designed with text only dialogue so you can move through the cutscenes faster than you can in many JRPGs nowadays where every scene is fully voiced and the dialogue has to play out.

Also the game is free enough you can power through the game without much exploring and just use the store weapons and armor (as opposed to searching for materials and forging) so I feel it's really a "you can put as much time in as you want" game, though it is long regardless. But I don't think it's obnoxiously long like some Tales games can be or how Persona 5 felt.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did they nerf some of the difficulty in S?

Dora-In-Grey was so much easier, and the quests where it came to finding the rare monsters in the PS4 I remember spending almost an hour on each, here I found them within minutes of fighting.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I adored this game. I'm planning to try FF12 next (never played it), but I worry whether another JRPG will grab me after liking DQ11 so much.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I adored this game. I'm planning to try FF12 next (never played it), but I worry whether another JRPG will grab me after liking DQ11 so much.
I did the exact same thing a year ago and enjoyed (even if that was my third time playing it).

Don't worry, even if I haven't looooved any other RPG like DQ11 I definitely was grabbed by YS8, trials of Mana and other RPGs like Original Sin 2 and battlechasers

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did the exact same thing a year ago and enjoyed (even if that was my third time playing it).

Don't worry, even if I haven't looooved any other RPG like DQ11 I definitely was grabbed by YS8, trials of Mana and other RPGs like Original Sin 2 and battlechasers
Sounds good! I tried to get into Tales of Vesperia and lost interest very quickly. Even FF8 bored me to death with long-ass unskippable videos and a slow start. I know it's meant to be great, but I have a busy day and sitting through a long video is something I have zero tolerance for right now.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a bit surprised at the amount of overwhelming love this game gets. I'm partway through Act 3, and the game seems to be a very by the numbers fantasy JRPG. I think I've just been spoiled by Persona 5 Royal.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a bit surprised at the amount of overwhelming love this game gets. I'm partway through Act 3, and the game seems to be a very by the numbers fantasy JRPG. I think I've just been spoiled by Persona 5 Royal.
That's the appeal. You can always rely on Dragon Quest to be an incredibly solid traditional RPG. Like comfort food. It's the game everybody copied to get started, the grandfather of all of the other Japanese RPGs, and it's kept doing what it's best at for 35 years. In 2021, there really aren't any other games doing what Dragon Quest is doing, and there haven't been for a long time.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the added individual character plots in S.

I did the first one and...it really kind of slowed the game down after a climax and the really cool first part of Act 2 from the original version. I mean, it was funny as fuck but kind of think these should've been optional.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I burned out on the game and gave up shortly before the main character was gonna get turned into a fish. It just wasn't holding my attention and the godawful music in the vanilla PS4 version is a crime against audio.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. The S version definitely has better quality music, which I'm sure helps a lot.

LOL

So much truth here

Just a plain terrible soundtrack PS4

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Absolutely fantastic game. DQ figured out its winning formula a long time ago, and it's incredible to see how they continue to knock it out of the park with it even after all this time.

People like to complain about the game not ending with Act 2, it's an essential part of DQ tradition for
for there to be an even bigger big bad waiting in the wings once the "main" villain is slain

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Was interested in playing this until I heard some of the music. Not sure I could do it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It also helps that the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Love this game. It's safe in the way My Neighbor Totoro is safe, or hot chocolate and marshmallows is safe. Sure you could throw a tot in there, maybe some spices, but even without those, when done right it's perfect already. It's cozy as fuck, easy to get into and play, but with systems that run deeper as you get further into the game. It's not going to get your heart pumping like a character action game or anything, but it's the best it could possibly be at doing what it does.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I did a 100hr run on gamepass. Maxxed out characters. Played with different spells. One of the best game for me. Can't wait for dq12.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I just ordered it on eBay for Switch so I can play it on my couch. I played some on PC but it seems too cozy a game to play for dozens of hours sitting on a chair.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Game is way too long AND way too slow. I mean if you even reach the true final boss, you're probably less than 10 hours away from platinuming the damn thing.
Also, it takes absolutely no risk and brings NOTHING new to the table, it's basically a 20 years old RPG with a shiny coat of paint.
7/10 - A very solid JRPG, but not the second coming of the messiah like you can often read here (Did XI S add a fast forward feature for combat ? If yes, 8/10)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Played XIS on Switch and absolutely adored it. Just enjoyable all the way through, full of heartwarming tales, melancholy, humour and menace, all told in bitesize chunks. Pretty much the definitive JRPG to me.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played it on Switch, couldn't put it down. One of my all time favourite games.

Literally unplayable without changing the overworked music though!

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Game is way too long AND way too slow. I mean if you even reach the true final boss, you're probably less than 10 hours away from platinuming the damn thing.
Also, it takes absolutely no risk and brings NOTHING new to the table, it's basically a 20 years old RPG with a shiny coat of paint.
7/10 - A very solid JRPG, but not the second coming of the messiah like you can often read here (Did XI S add a fast forward feature for combat ? If yes, 8/10)

The game is just so charming and nostalgic that I can't help but rate it greater than the sum of its parts. It's food for the soul.