• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
DQIV_V_Jump_Art.png

Hey folks! It's likely my first time doing one of these, but I thought I'd chronicle my adventure through the wonderful and well regarded world of Dragon Quest IV, the first (last, technically : P) of the Zenenthian Trilogy of the DQ series.

Starring a diverse cast of character, from the punch princess Alena, to the mystic twins Maya and Meena, this title was beloved in Japan for having several characters whose independent stories set the stage for a grander finale, as they all come together to overcome an evil threatening the world.

Of note was debatably the best work in the series the hack of a warcrime denier, Sugiyama, managed to produce, with several sweeping world themes, a special battle theme for the sisters, and loads more songs that would eventually be regurgitated as the man eventually leaned on his legacy as a crutch!

Anyway, regardless of that, the game, while less regarded then the amazing DQ V, and more standard then the class based DQVI, still stands testament as a fun title with great personality...

...And I never played it : P

DQIV_Famicom.png

Seriously folks, while I may talk it up, and I always enjoyed the concept of the game in many ways, I never truly took the plunge and experienced the title for myself, having instead worked through nearly every other title to completion and only remembering it on occasions where my current game was already underway.

Even beat it's two immediate sequels in the same trilogy!

But that changes today! I will be chronicling my journey though the game, perhaps with some light screenshots, and opening conversation about it and the series in general!

I hope this can be a fun way to explore a title I've always wanted to try and connect with others who have enjoyed the series as well!

So, I hope you all have fun alongside me!

Please leave any and all Major spoilers (small stuff is fine) for this game and the series as a whole in Spoiler tags, marked for the game you're playing, with invisible ones for this one if you'd prefer.

I would like to both avoid spoilers on this game and avoid others being spoiled along the way, so be considerate. Otherwise, feel free to talk about the game and others as you wish!

I'll post my first few hours in a followup.

As for specifics, I'll be playing the Mobile version of the game, as not only is it the most accessible version for me to play as of now, and easy to get screenshots for, but also has Party Chat, an excellent addition to the remake that was absent from the English DS version.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
-Table of Contents-

~Prologue~

Chapter 1: Ragnar McRyan

~Part 1: A Quest for a King~

~Part 2: Mystery and Mazes!~

~Part 3: A Hero and his Healslime~

I wanna make conversation with folks along the way as I play, so this page will be used to link directly to the different posts I make playing through the game. Much better then having a billion threadmarks, though I'm open to suggestion on this front.

(as an aside, I am going to partially, if not completely construct this in the form of a Screen Shot LP, where I will use screen shots and descriptions of the events in the game to paint a picture for people to follow along with. If this is not allowed by the site, I will be much less verbose and picture-posty)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Chapter 1 ~Prologue~

Alright, to start with, the game asks you to name your protagonist, the one character you both control the name and gender of! I decided to name her Solo, which is the official name of the male character, as the clever joke of a main character being named after being alone while being in a game mostly about their companions is very funny.
hCttzB3_d.jpg

Sofia is the official name for the female hero, and that's lovely, I just like the name Solo.

Anyway, we start off with a bit of combat!

...or not, haha. We just got some sword training from an old soldier, who compliments our tenacity and trains us regularily to be strong. That's neat!

As we exit, a friendly frog greets us and runs into the same basement, only our friend Eliza is the only one here!

Turns out she learned to Morph and wanted to show off, but couldn't come up with a good story, that's rich! As she leaves transformed into a rabbit, informing me dinner at my place is ready with rabbit puns, I scrounge up a strength seed and move on to explore the village.

As it turns out, the people here are both very kind to solo, and relatively guarded from the outside world.

UnzxjMw_d.jpg

gK8He6h_d.jpg
You're getting taught to fight and cast magic, but cannot leave, as this guy says you simply aren't strong enough to do so. Oh yeah?

jIRgQDI_d.jpg

Uh... maybe he's right : P

As you sit down to eat at home, your dad waxes about your growing to eventually leave the village, before the mom insists nothing will change, and you go to bed.

The prologue is short, and was added to the game after the original, to sorta give you a little action as the protagonist before immediately swept into playing 20+ hours with total strangers. It's cute, I like it.

vHjbymY_d.jpg

Hopefully this was a good prologue post! I'll update whenever I get some progress in the game, and I'll try to work out how this'll go over time. Hopefully the format isn't too daunting, and is entertaining enough!

There will be mostly screenshots after this, I just wanted to capture a few animations for the start.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck OP, I've really enjoyed this one, even without the party chat on the DS version.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Ohhh no, not this again. I'm playing DQ3 for the first time because of a similar OP. Will follow this one closely!

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Hooo-hooo! A good old fashioned forum let's play?! I'm IN for this. Hope you enjoy DQ4, OP! I don't rank it as highly as 3 but it is a sublime experience. Alena is one of my favorite DQ characters of all time.

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hooo-hooo! A good old fashioned forum let's play?! I'm IN for this. Hope you enjoy DQ4, OP! I don't rank it as highly as 3 but it is a sublime experience. Alena is one of my favorite DQ characters of all time.
Honestly, I felt like it was a long time coming. As long as I'm not gumming the works with the images that are gonna show up, I'll likely be good to go.

Probably gonna need to put an image warning or something, I dunno...

And I sure am waiting for some Alena action, tales of her critical hit rate are spread far and wide : P

Danielsff

Aug 5, 2019
I played It in 2008 on DS...
I loved it, and still do, artstyle is so beautiful, music is good, and the design is really great, makes the player love each character.

Edit: what a beautiful thread!

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Chapter 1: For Real this time; Ragnar McRyan

Part 1: A Quest for a King.

uNE1sT5_d.jpg

Over a black screen, we are informed of the general backround of our new hero...

This is a tale of palace guards in a small kingdom called Burland.

Among their number is a brave soldier by the name of Ragnar McRyan.

One morning, King Burnard summons all of the guards to the main hall of the castle...

As the darkness is cast away, we open on several of Burland's top men awaiting a king's decree.

T8igAs3_d.jpg

Oh fun, the chancellor is Scottish, that's cool.

Many Dragon Quest games are localized in english with European accents of a variety of nations used as flavour, to make the world and it's people more diverse. In the text ones though, they tend to get a little crazy at times, though I'm sure we've seen the worst of it!

C6Nk464_d.jpg

See? This'll be just fi-

REqT5j9_d.jpg

...oh lord, I'm gonna need to translate this, hahaha.

Here's the king's speech in... english, I suppose!

No doubt youse all ken whit it is I want tae talk tae youse aboot.

No doubt you are all aware of what I'm about to tell you.

I'm sure youse all will hae heard rumours aboot the wee kiddies gaein' missin' of late.

I'm sure you will have heard rumours about the kids going missing as of late.

Och, just this morn, I've had mothers from Strathbaile here cryin' aboot their bairns.

Why, just this morning, I've had mothers from Strathbaile here crying about their bairns.
(Translation note: Bairns means Childeren)

Hoo can kiddies be disappearin' like this? Is some rogue snatchin' oor poor mites away?

How can kids be disappearing like this? Is some rogue snatching our poor little ones away?

As king o' this bonnie land, I cannae verra well stand by an' let this continue.

As king of this great land, I cannot very well stand by and let this continue.

Find oot whit's gaein' on an' report back tae me, men. Away wi' youse!

(At this point the translator exploded, and thus this line is a complete mystery)

Alright, that was a bit much, but I'm fairly sure that's as much as it gets. While I love the accents, I gotta say they come right outta the gate on that one!

dGWmbEb_d.jpg

Anyway, right from the get-go we have helpful backround info on the situation after the guards depart ahead of us. We can learn from those in and outside the castle that the kingdom of Burland is a just one, with low taxes, unfortunately leading to less-equipped soldiers.

As such, we'll need to make money along the way should hardier impliments then our copper blade and leather armor become necessary.

x1sDK7u_d.jpg

M6qRXqc_d.jpg

You can see that even most minor upgrades are out of our price range, though we manage to loot a leather shield from the armor shop's house, as a gift for our bravery and noble quest... probably!

bro26aA_d.jpg

We also meet the wife of a man named Angus, who asks us to get her husband to return home when we see him somewhere, and also loot a valuable item from a hidden chest, a Strength seed!

I didn't mention it before, but seeds are Permenant stat upgrades to be saved or used as you wish, and I'm choosing to use this one on Ragnar as it will be infinitely more useful now as it's boost will raise our damage by a fifth, then if I saved and used it to raise damage by a one hundredth later.

As we leave town, we come across an example of the good music in this game, the world map theme! Specifically, one of several! Each chapter comes with it's own unique one, further connecting the chapters as individual parts of a grand adventure. I quite like the sweeping calm of Ragnar's!

As we venture forth, we come across a slime in our first battle!

Now that we are getting into it, battles in Dragon Quest are turn based affairs where you control characters and attack or cast magic or what have you, and defeat monsters to progress and gain experience and money.

Ragnar here is a pretty straightforward opening character, as he specializes in only two things: Hitting, and being Hit. His strength is quite good and his defense and health is literally the best in the game!

Feq9GIO_d.jpg

As such, the slime was no match for our mighty sword arm, and we continue into a nearby cave connecting Burland to the town we are to investigate.

7MJRpMu_d.jpg

It's a small cave, but it carries a few treasure chest with healing herbs and gold, as well as dangerous beasts we handly defeat! The sky rats are tricky though, as they summon friends, and everything but the slimes take more then one hit to despatch, so care is needed!

WBJybJX_d.jpg

As we make it to the town, we read a sign outside that forbids forest hooliganism, surely a clue, and we make it to the town of Straithbaile!

IBlQC2j_d.jpg

We'll continue our quest next time, but for now, let's save our game!

Churches are a vital part of DQ, as they not only allow you to save your progress in an adventure log, but provide other helpful services such as Divination (how many experience points until your next level), status ailment removal, most notably curses, and... death! Or rather, the undoing of death.

As you use their services, you even get a cute organ ditty! There's the organ right there : P

Fortunately, not only is there quicksave for stopping a game as you wander about, and a generous auto-save for the mobile versions, but when you are wiped out, you'll always show up at the last church you visit with only... half your gold missing! Which can set you back if you've been saving up, so be careful!

I'll see you next time, as we question the locals and get this quest going in earnest!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Part 2: Mystery and Mazes!

When we last left our brave soldier, he had made his way to Strathbaile to investigate the disappearing children there.

Km0tTnu_d.jpg

As we make our way around the town, we notice there's all the regular amenities of a normal dragon quest town; an Inn to pay a modest sum to rest and recover, a church for saving our progress, a weapons AND armor store with things we can't afford, and an item shop selling basic herbs to cure poison and heal wounds. There's even a school for children to learn at, no doubt a fair bit emptier due to recent events.

McD0OWY_d.jpg

xlPkkwz_d.jpg

As we further investigate, the people offer strange goings on; their kids seemingly dissapeared into thin air, a boy named Willy Wally is the missing kid of the Innkeeper, and that a recent traveller had stolen bread and been imprisoned in the town jail. That person is Angus! Somehow he'd forgotten much and now thinks he's a kid!

XgaMBJn_d.jpg

One of the kids at the school mentions something rediculous. "Magic" shoes that make you fly away, huh? Oh, I'm "Sure" it has to be true!

As we speak to folks, it becomes clear that more info could be gleaned at nightfall, so we take this as an opportunity to test out the game's Day/Night cycle! As you Adventure in the world map, the time will change from daytime to nighttime, and enemies will change and towns will get sleepier. You can also choose to sleep at an inn to change the time to day, but you have to wait out an evening outdoors.

This lends us some fighting practice, and we get to level three! Early leveling in DQ is often important for survival, so any experience is good experience!

uKQdH4R_d.jpg

As we enter at night, the various townsfolk have different things to say, though all the shops have closed by now. The Weapon and Armor sellers getting drunk near the well is particularly neat!

z31iTxU_d.jpg

Inside the Inn, the Keeper says his kid was fiddling with weird shoes shortly before his disappearance, while a sister of the cloth is about to have a bath, and a creep is watching outside! We can't have that, so we circle around outside to tell them off! Some places has hidden entrances you need to use visual clues to suss out, so being observant can pay off!

fVt3zCt_d.jpg

MCy5MbL_d.jpg

6pC5DOK_d.jpg

JxoT0zj_d.jpg

As he confirms that it is indeed the Angus we heard about, we rest up and make our way back to Burland to speak to his wife.

K8EOk6N_d.jpg

Surprised at his actions, she accompanies us to Strathbaile to speak to him herself! She's a non-combatant, but the foes between here and there are no match for the mighty Ragnar!

aJ3QbvZ_d.jpg

A nice detail is that if the sun is going down as you enter a town, it'll actually be twilight inside! Still daytime, but it looks lovely! As we bring her to the jail, a little scene occurs...

So there we have it! Having finally reunited a married couple, our investigation pays off, as we now have a lead! Leaving the town and futzing around in the south-eastern forest, we come across a clearing with a mysterious well, literally beckoning us to explore it! Perhaps one of the lost children?!?

ptOutZ5_d.jpg

As heroic as Ragnar is, he enters the well and finds himself in a deep, deep maze!

EjsmgdO_d.jpg

While we wander, two things become clear. One, the voice directs us through the maze so as to avoid dead ends and loop backs, further pulling us to them. The other? The monsters here are Very Dangerous!

Up until now the foes have been dealing little more then one or two points of damage, but here, they can do four to six, with little wizards casting magic to hurt us significantly with ten! As I mentioned, Ragnar is good at hiting and being hit, but that's all. His agility is low enough to allow enemies the first hits in a round, and he has only his Healing Herbs to recover, meaning this well is likely to defeat you if you aren't careful! The five herbs I brought were barely enough!

I will say, however, that the level of detail that comes out of enemy attacks is absolutely splendid, and if this playthrough inspires you to try the game yourself, you'll be quite pleased!

As we work our way through, avoiding dead ends called out by the voice, we find the magic shoes the kids spoke of, called the Telaria! We also uncover a massive treasure of 550 gold, which combined with our growing coffers from battle means we'll get good equipment soon! And finally, we meet the source of the voice...

What a delightful monster! The healslimes down here are normally not friendly, but this one has grand aspirations and a good heart! Ragnar would be foolish to decline his assistance! This is also the first time we hear the genuine "Party member joins" music, what a classic tune!

As we make our way out with our ally in tow, we try the Telaria to humorous results.

Using spells or equipment that flings you into the air inside or under something leaves you with a bump on your head and no wasted resources. Still, try not to concuss!

zOROrzr_d.jpg

As we make it back to where we started, we find an old storage room with a much-needed Agility Seed and a less needed Life Seed, for more Hp. We then exit to the outdoors from the stairs and make our way back to town for much needed rest!

Akyu4RP_d.jpg

And we end this adventure off with a much needed weapon upgrade, an Iron Spear, as well as a hardwood hat!

See you next time as we find where these shoes will take us!

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'll be posting the last part of Ragnar's chapter in a few, I got a bunch of progress, I just need to buckle down and post what I got!

For those wondering, I'm taking loads of screenshots and doing screen recordings of various scenes and events in the game, and posting them to imgur privately and linking them to the thread. I've played around with it, and I see that I gotta post animated scenes seperately or I can't link them properly.

I should also mention that all of this is being done exclusively on my phone, meaning progress on the LP is easy and able to be done anywhere, but also sorta weird since like, I'm doing it all on my phone! Thank god my internet app doesn't crash when I'm futzing between my pics and imgur app : P

So far, really enjoying the game! Almost beat Alena's chapter and I'll be taking a break to post up to it once I beat it, but I'm having a good time. Surprisingly challenging, they really impart on you the importance of keeping up on your equipment in this one, and especially playing smart with all your options and spells, since monsters are consistently dangerous and unpredictable in their groups.

How are you feeling on the LP, and how you feel about the game?

hunnies28

Sep 16, 2020
I left my save file for this game on google cloud. Switched to iOS last year and haven't been able to finish it.

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I left my save file for this game on google cloud. Switched to iOS last year and haven't been able to finish it.
Hopefully this is a good enough alternative for you ; P

OP is making me tempted to try the Android version.
Hey, if you're getting it at a good price, by all means! The mobile ports are very good in my opinion, and the fact that they are all in Portrait (vertical) makes them look and feel very unique compared to other ports in horizontal.

I had a blast with DQ VI playing like this, all three of the trilogy are a good time.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you seem to be liking it. I played through it last year on a DS and really enjoyed my time playing it. Only the second DQ game I have completed along with V.

It keeps getting better.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I first played DQIV through the mobile port a few years back, and even though previous and subsequent installments do some things better, I still got a real soft spot for this one.

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Part 3: A Hero and his Healslime!

When we last left off, we found a pair of curious shoes, met a cute little healslime with dreams of being human, and finally upgraded our equipment. We're finally ready to rescue those kids!

YJS8Cdl_d.jpg

Healie is our first example of a guest party member. Despite having statistics, they have preset equipment and abilities, and cannot be controlled in battle like a main character can. Furthermore, they don't gain experience, instead remaining static for the duration of their time in the party.

Healie is a terrible fighter, doing like one damage each attack, but a perfect companion for our great warrior, as he can cast our first spell, Heal, restoring 30~ HP to a target, and has enough MP to cast it up to fifteen times! Thankfully, when out of battle, you can make temps cast supportive magic, so we'll be safe with him around!

G7vZcWg_d.jpg

DvmT2yz_d.jpg

tIdtQIr_d.jpg

We also finally get a chance to hear some party chat! While Ragnar is somewhat silent in his chapter, Healie has quite a few things to say! As a rule of thumb, I'll try to carry the intent and feelings of the party as events and important conversations happen, but there is a large list of all the party chat avalible online should anyone want to see the immense amount of dialogue this game has to offer!

Be forewarned tho, it's not exactly organized!

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_IV_Transcript#b0500000

Alright, enough gabbin', time to make our way to the tower! We put on these strange shoes and Away we go!

They've taken the Bairn! Er, Boy... Willy Wally? We must be off to rescue him!

G1dI2pA_d.jpg

The tower, or Straithbaile Tower, is our greatest challenge yet as Ragnar, but we don't come at it alone! As we decend it, Healie can recover our wounds in and out of battle, but it's up to us to conquer the foes ahead and stand resolute! We face enemies not unlike those from the well, only with greater attack and defense, but if you upgraded your weapon at least, they'll not be too much trouble.

4LMJKYw_d.jpg

dDkfutu_d.jpg

Should we need to leave, jumping from the side will have us hop across the moat and be able to return to Straithbaile, but we press on and find another soldier who...somehow got here and laments not having aquired our friend's help. Tough luck, pal!

We find more treasure within the tower, including an even better weapon then the iron spear, the Cautery Blade! A mighty sword with the ability to Sizz groups of monsters on use! Sizz being a spell that strikes a group, not ALL the monsters, but a few grouped together, like (Slime x 3). All hitting spells are powerful indeed, but we'll see those on spellcasters much later.

As we venture further, the battles take a toll on Healie's MP, and we find another warrior, this one gravely wounded, warning us of something bigger surrounding the kid-napping...

*Sniff*, farewell nameless compatriot, your death will not be in vain!

We head further down, and finally confront the mastermind behind this plot!

uPihbX6_d.jpg

Oc4u4od_d.jpg

UZ8vEIm_d.jpg

Looks like they're just about to do their evil business! Not on Ragnar's Watch! After a quick trip to town (thanks for waiting, evildoers : P), we stand toe to toe with the monster responsible and start the final battle!

The fight starts with Psaro's Pawn and a Winky. Both will do nothing but attack Ragnar and Healie, with the Pawn casting damaging magic on occasion, and the Winky being able to use a devastating blow when at low health! Fortunately, we slay the winky in short order before he can do so, and as we fight the villain, we strike the final blow... AS A COMBINATION ATTACK! Go Healie!!!

Uj1QWxH_d.jpg

HpaL7bk_d.jpg

Psaro's Pawn: How can I have allowed a mere human to defeat me...!?

But I am not afraid. The other monsters will find the hero and suck his breath from him before he can stand in our way.

Then you humans will finally be sacrificed to our Lord. I will be awaiting your arrival...in the underworld! Urgh...

With the little jerk taken down to size, and the kids in our care, a sense of unease goes over Ragnar, who feels his journey is far from over...

vCDRQtV_d.jpg

Farewell, fellow soldier, you've performed a great service for your kingdom...

lf4rlIt_d.jpg

EjeKz8n_d.jpg

As we return to Straithbaile, the people are overjoyed with the safe return of their childeren, and hail Ragnar as a hero! Aww, Healie did a lot, too!

We make our way back to Burland to give news to the king...

: 0

Wow, that literally doubled his health! What a generous gift, wish more kings were that helpful, hahaha!

And so, as our hero leaves his Kingdom behind, in search of the legendary child who's life is in danger, we close out the first chapter of the game, Ragnar McRyan and the Case of the Missing Children!

pLhzFLL_d.jpg

Perhaps we'll see him again someday...

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
DQ4 was my first DQ, so I've always got a soft spot for it. I really liked the episodic format, thought it was pretty novel for the time.
Glad you're enjoying it, looking forward to your progress!

EDIT: I replayed it on mobile a few years ago and while the portrait mode thing is a little jarring, I thought it played very well.

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
DQ4 was my first DQ, so I've always got a soft spot for it. I really liked the episodic format, thought it was pretty novel for the time.
Glad you're enjoying it, looking forward to your progress!

EDIT: I replayed it on mobile a few years ago and while the portrait mode thing is a little jarring, I thought it played very well.

Yeah, it's a real clean port on Mobile, I love it. The DS trilogy worked really well in the transition.

And yeah, glad I can enjoy it while talking way too extravagantly and sharing it with others! The media limit (while understandable) is really killing me though, I wanted to fit this in the last one!

Now THAT'S how you end a chapter in a videogame!

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
An honest to gods, good old fashioned screenshot LP? In this economy?

Seriously, while I don't have the same attachment I have to it as I do to Square Enix's other seminal RPG series, Dragon Quest still holds a place near and dear to my heart, so seeing this is really neat. This is a great read so far, looking forward to seeing more.

OP
OP
Razorrin

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Now that Ragnar's chapter is over, I wanna talk about how I feel about it.

I think Ragnar's chapter acts as a very effective basic opener, that despite the simplicity of "attack attack attack," provides ample challenge where it counts.

Being unobservant and unaware of the enemy's capabilities will have you quickly taken from half health to no health, and the well is pretty great at setting that expectation. Even with healie, you can't be off your guard or you'll get taken down.

It's roughly an hour and a half and only has two towns and two dungeons, but it manages to be succinct and feels like a real adventure, and that's something to appreciate. Plus, healie is actually legendarily cute, so much so that he's been referenced several times after this game, especially with Ragnar!

Final thoughts, I like it and I think it's a good opener to set the tone of the game moving forward. A good teaser for tougher challenges to come.

Here's a little ditty from a DQIV Musical made several years ago by a person named Hyadain. I wouldn't look at the other ones if you care about being spoiled on characters just yet, but this one is pretty self contained and adorable! There's a better quality version but this one has subtitles.

What do you folks think about Chapter one? I'll start with Chapter 2 within the next few days. Updates will be up to whimsy, but they shouldn't be far apart when they get going.