• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I've only finished DQ3 one time. It's a game that I start over and over though. I currently have a game going on the Switch. My son says the mosnters are "too scary" though so I don't have too much time to plug away at it. I really like the GBC version too, squashy as it is.

The main enjoyment I get out of DQ3 is naming my guys after Seinfeld characters. George always comes out on top.

Apart from that, keep going, great experience - a little looser than the next couple of games in the series, DQ6 gets some of that feeling back.

Hope that they get around to that UE4 remake some day.

It's really a shame that the recent releases have been compromised one way or another compared to the SNES version. And then the SNES version's translation has some crappy content in it, too.

Edgy fan translation stuff?

Last edited:

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Ah yeah, I can imagine. And DQ 2... I don' t think I'd ever try playing that on the NES (Rhone, et al).

What about 3? Was it a banger straight out the gate, or was the NES original more annoying too? 1+2 are the ones I've heard about the most fixes/changes for, but not so much about 3.
DQ3 was always good. The later versions did make some changes; new graphics, a Thief class, more equipment, an extra dungeon, things like that. But that's just more content added on to an already great and popular game.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
DQ3 was always good. The later versions did make some changes; new graphics, a Thief class, more equipment, an extra dungeon, things like that. But that's just more content added on to an already great and popular game.
Ahh yeah. I have a Thief myself. I like the little non-battle spells they learn. So far I wouldn't call them... necessary, or even all that useful, but it's neat having a tracker (for treasure, or places on the map) and someone who can tell you what level of a dungeon you're on, in case the place gets too labyrinthine or you fall down a hole or something.

Another thing regarding player choice in 3 is I keep seeing equipment noone can use. Flashy Suit? Who wears that? I'm sure I'll find that out when I play again. (And I'd love to play again on a version that has the pachisi game, even though I heard the remake distributes the items you could have won elsewhere.)

I'm not sure when they were added either, but mini medals are kind of fun. I'm not going out of my way, and I highly doubt I'll find them all, but I check places they seem like they might be hidden and occasionally get a neat piece of gear.

The books and personality items are so interesting, too, even if at first they were intimidating. I had a personality with low Agility, so I put on an item for my next few level-ups that would boost that core stat. There's so many options (the books almost remind me of Fallout skill books), and I haven't even gotten to the class-changing place. Seems like a game with a lot of replayability.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing regarding player choice in 3 is I keep seeing equipment noone can use. Flashy Suit? Who wears that? I'm sure I'll find that out when I play again. (And I'd love to play again on a version that has the pachisi game, even though I heard the remake distributes the items you could have won elsewhere.)

Jester IIRC.

Try a 3 jester run next time you start the game over, those are fun.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This thread is really making me itch to start a new playthrough. This game is really something else, I don't usually replay RPGs

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is really making me itch to start a new playthrough. This game is really something else, I don't usually replay RPGs

It's probably the best "classic" JRPG of all time, IMO. Still the best DQ game too, despite DQ11 coming close.

Everything about it is just so well done and nearly perfect, from the pacing to the stories to the end-game twist. It's really the DQ formula perfected, which is kinda crazy considering it came out not long after DQ was born.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, I can imagine. And DQ 2... I don' t think I'd ever try playing that on the NES (Rhone, et al).

What about 3? Was it a banger straight out the gate, or was the NES original more annoying too? 1+2 are the ones I've heard about the most fixes/changes for, but not so much about 3.

I've only experience with 1 and 2, NES versions. The NES western version of 3 has a boost to both XP and gold, but there are patches to roll it back.

The problem, at least for I and II, is that these games are so barebone than once you remove their difficulty there's not much left. The core concept, especially in II, is to gravitate around the town, get enough gold to buy equipment upgrades in the shop, then eventually go through a dungeon thing where no spell/item to teleport back to town. Combat is extremely frequent and it's very, very easy to suddenly get in trouble.

The tactical combat, by itself, is simplistic. So there's no real difficulty in a single combat, it's all about how much you risk pushing forward from a comfort zone. Without this difficulty and without this grind, the experience of the game is quite "light".

But it's the same as drawing your own map for a game, or looking online. All these little things add up, and make an old game played today quite a different experience overall. If you remove all these aspects it's not the same thing anymore.

So today you can say "I played DQ1, just 6 hours or so". But it wasn't quite the same if you played when it came out, without guides and maybe without save states in a emulator.

In fact, DQs games, including 2, aren't "hard" games. But they require patience.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I've only experience with 1 and 2, NES versions. The NES western version of 3 has a boost to both XP and gold, but there are patches to roll it back.

The problem, at least for I and II, is that these games are so barebone than once you remove their difficulty there's not much left. The core concept, especially in II, is to gravitate around the town, get enough gold to buy equipment upgrades in the shop, then eventually go through a dungeon thing where no spell/item to teleport back to town. Combat is extremely frequent and it's very, very easy to suddenly get in trouble.

The tactical combat, by itself, is simplistic. So there's no real difficulty in a single combat, it's all about how much you risk pushing forward from a comfort zone. Without this difficulty and without this grind, the experience of the game is quite "light".

But it's the same as drawing your own map for a game, or looking online. All these little things add up, and make an old game played today quite a different experience overall. If you remove all these aspects it's not the same thing anymore.

So today you can say "I played DQ1, just 6 hours or so". But it wasn't quite the same if you played when it came out, without guides and maybe without save states in a emulator.

In fact, DQs games, including 2, aren't "hard" games. But they require patience.
What you say about 1+2 is definitely true. Although maybe an additional tactical element could be considered keeping what is effectively two weak magic users alive until they become useful. :D

That town gravitation, pushing just a bit further than your comfort zone, that risk/reward is something I really like, especially in DQ where you lose half your money if you fail. It really gives you that "can I get away with this?" feeling. In fact, that element makes me wonder if visible monsters in newer JRPGs is such a good idea, because that's such a good source of tension.

And you're right, it's not the same thing. I straight up shamelessly used a guide for DQ2, and I think beat it in under a week. I feel like it might have taken a kid in '87 like a year. Drawing maps (have to imagine it'd be necessary for Rhone), safely grinding, finding all those plot objects, etc. The times when I'd go off on my own and stumble upon something by myself were probably the best parts, so I've really lightened my guide usage on DQ3*, though I'm still using modern conveniences like quick save et al.

*For example I recently got the ship and I'm not 100% sure where to go, but already I've even managed to explore some places/towns pleasantly out of order and run into some difficult things I probably shouldn't have yet.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
This game is incredible.

I got my ship, lost my way (I have what they call "directional insanity") and sailed hard south until I found a tiny village, apparently a place where They banish people They don't like. The inhabitants are desperate for company... there's almost nothing there, but there is a massive telescope. The person manning it is a scientist, who tells you about how the earth is round, but that everyone rejected his theories and sent him here. Due to the earth being round, I was able to sail south a bit more and reach a northern tundra--Greenland basically, I think, populated solely by a mysterious old man.

This game is full of such adventure and possibility. I don't know when I'd last say that about a game; I don't know when I'd last say a game is truly magical.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DQ3 is really good. Creating your own party is so cool, I wish more games did it. I did my own series of LTTPs as well if anyone is interested, might continue again some time and do DQ7.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Yeah DQ3 is really good. Creating your own party is so cool, I wish more games did it. I did my own series of LTTPs as well if anyone is interested, might continue again some time and do DQ7.
Oh! I do believe I read all of those, if not most of them when searching for Dragon Quest stuff. I remember the one for 6 in particular; you must have put a lot of work in, and the game sounded like it was a bumpy ride for you in terms of quality.

Maybe I'll keep posting these rolling threads whenever I play a new Dragon Quest, too.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! I do believe I read all of those, if not most of them when searching for Dragon Quest stuff. I remember the one for 6 in particular; you must have put a lot of work in, and the game sounded like it was a bumpy ride for you in terms of quality.

Maybe I'll keep posting these rolling threads whenever I play a new Dragon Quest, too.

It's not a bad game but coming off DQ5 which was incredible it was so-so overall. I'd still recommend playing it as there are some good parts and I liked the party. And the hardest part is just trying to say stuff without waffling lol but I do enjoy doing them.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about 7 if you get to it. 7 is my second favorite after 3 (tied with 11 maybe) but its structure is so incredibly different from all of the other games in the series that it's probably pretty divisive. It really takes the idea of the vignettes to the next level. Best class/job system in any JRPG though.

It's also an absurdly long game.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I'm really enjoying how DQ3's map is a map of the world (or, perhaps, the world at a certain time). Scotland, Portugal, Japan, Sioux natives, the "new world".

I'm wondering how this was handled in the original game. I'm aware that the localization isn't at all how the Japanese is written--matter of fact, I don't think you can approximate the zillions of English accents with Japanese. That would be a hell of a lot of unreadable katakana. I know the 'Jipang' people don't speak in haiku etc. I wonder if some of the NPCs spoke in Kansai-ben if they were the rougher, wilder sort? Some Classical Japanese here and there for the more pompous of rulers? I'm curious. Maybe they just let the environments do the talking.

By the way, that town which is only active at night, and whose inhabitants have no idea it's been completely obliterated and they're living in poisonous wreckage? Super creepy cool.

I hope none of this spoils it for anyone--maybe I should have put that in the title. I would usually assume a "LTTP" would contain spoilers, but I could be wrong.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
So, if I wanted to play DQIII for the very first time, what version would folks recommend?

I played (and beat) Dragon Warrior back in the day (I was one of the kids who got a free copy from Nintendo Power), have messed around with some of the more recent DQs (including getting pretty far into DQIX on the DS), and absolutely adored DQV on the DS (it's one of my all-time favorite RPGs now).

I've always wanted to play DQIII since hearing about the release of the game causing such a freak out in Japan back in the day - I'd play the Switch port in a heartbeat if the graphics weren't so terrible. I've got the western NES port on a hacked NES Classic, which seems like maybe the most ideal way to play on a TV - would it be worth trying to track down the SNES remake of DQIII over just playing the western NES port?

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
So, if I wanted to play DQIII for the very first time, what version would folks recommend?

I played (and beat) Dragon Warrior back in the day (I was one of the kids who got a free copy from Nintendo Power), have messed around with some of the more recent DQs (including getting pretty far into DQIX on the DS), and absolutely adored DQV on the DS (it's one of my all-time favorite RPGs now).

I've always wanted to play DQIII since hearing about the release of the game causing such a freak out in Japan back in the day - I'd play the Switch port in a heartbeat if the graphics weren't so terrible. I've got the western NES port on a hacked NES Classic, which seems like maybe the most ideal way to play on a TV - would it be worth trying to track down the SNES remake of DQIII over just playing the western NES port?
Having looked at a list of versions, the Super Famicom port added so, so much. If there's a fan translation you could put of that on your Mini SNES (or elsewhere) it might be worth seeking out. I'd have to say the graphics are pretty plain (it wasn't one of those super pretty SNES games), but you might think differently. For purists I would have to assume this is the way to go. (Or maybe super purists would just prefer the NES version.)

A lot of people like the GBC port. Fewer colours and limited text/screen space, but it'd technically be the most "feature complete" version (all the bonus dungeons, minigames, etc). I'd like to try this someday myself.

The modern (mobile and Switch) versions have localizations that fit DQ8 and onwards, if that matters to you.

All in all, I guess this is to say it follows the grand DQ tradition of not having a definitive version.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Having looked at a list of versions, the Super Famicom port added so, so much. If there's a fan translation you could put of that on your Mini SNES (or elsewhere) it might be worth seeking out. I'd have to say the graphics are pretty plain (it wasn't one of those super pretty SNES games), but you might think differently. For purists I would have to assume this is the way to go. (Or maybe super purists would just prefer the NES version.)

A lot of people like the GBC port. Fewer colours and limited text/screen space, but it'd technically be the most "feature complete" version (all the bonus dungeons, minigames, etc). I'd like to try this someday myself.

The modern (mobile and Switch) versions have localizations that fit DQ8 and onwards, if that matters to you.

All in all, I guess this is to say it follows the grand DQ tradition of not having a definitive version.
Paging sir_crocodile for the above post. He knows all the versions and their intricacies, I believe

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Are there any QoL features in the Switch version of DQ3, such as fast forward?
There are a ton of what I'd call QoL features carried over from the remakes (quick save, infinite Bag of storage, buying a bunch of items at once, better map, multi-target whip and boomerang) but no fast forward.

Going through 1-3 though, I've never felt that I've needed it, though. Battles are really fast and snappy, not like a modern RPG where you have to wait for animations. I could see it being useful if you really wanted to grind to the max or level up a lot of new characters though. Unfortunately, Square Enix isn't really into putting any effort into new ports. AFAIK, besides the dodgy sprites, it's identical to the mobile release.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Paging sir_crocodile for the above post. He knows all the versions and their intricacies, I believe

All things being equal, the best version of Dragon Quest III is the SFC one. It's a late era Super Famicom game and as such looks lovely, easily the best version of the game visually. It also has a very cool intro, monster animations and Pachisi boards that the Mobile/Switch versions lack. GBC version has an additional dungeon on top that *all* other versions of DQIII lack, but obviously doesn't look as nice as the SFC version. It would be my second choice.

Here's the translation patch for SFC III : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/
GBC III was officially translated by Enix.

However there is an issue that occurs with the patched SFC version of DQIII where it potentially bugs out *and* corrupts the save if you save the game with anyone but the hero in the lead.
I've never come across it personally as I always left the hero in the lead in my playthroughs, but it's been reported online. If you play this way I would make backups of the SRM file from time to time.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
All things being equal, the best version of Dragon Quest III is the SFC one. It's a late era Super Famicom game and as such looks lovely, easily the best version of the game visually. It also has a very cool intro, monster animations and Pachisi boards that the Mobile/Switch versions lack. GBC version has an additional dungeon on top that *all* other versions of DQIII lack, but obviously doesn't look as nice as the SFC version. It would be my second choice.

Here's the translation patch for SFC III : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/

However there is an issue that occurs with the patched SFC version of DQIII where it potentially bugs out *and* corrupts the save if you save the game with anyone but the hero in the lead.
I've never come across it personally as I always left the hero in the lead in my playthroughs, but it's been reported online. If you play this way I would make backups of the SRM file from time to time.
Thanks Croc and syle_oh, this really means a lot!

I'll definitely look into the SFC version of DQIII, then, and thanks tons for linking me directly to that fan patch.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Argh. This thread is selling me on this...almost.
My favorite DQs were 4,5 and 11. I never got a chance to play the first 3.
Is it really that great? I miss the warm comfy charming feels only a Dragon Quest can give.

I've checked out videos and screenshots. Sprites don't bug me, I actually like them when they emote well. But reading that Battle screens are static plus the backgrounds of the world (the DS ones had lovely 3D worlds that sometimes took up the dual screens) are kind making me hesitant.

What do do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Croc and syle_oh, this really means a lot!

I'll definitely look into the SFC version of DQIII, then, and thanks tons for linking me directly to that fan patch.

np

I've checked out videos and screenshots. Sprites don't bug me, I actually like them when they emote well. But reading that Battle screens are static plus the backgrounds of the world (the DS ones had lovely 3D worlds that sometimes took up the dual screens) are kind making me hesitant.

What do do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just to mention, the SFC version discussed above has enemy battle animations (though not idle animations). GBC too.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I played it last year on a fan translated SNES cartridge and absolutely adore it. I played it over the course of about 3 months with my wife, passing the controller like old times! It was a great bonding experience.

I don't want to shade, but I would recommend anyone to play 1,2, and 3 on GBC or SNES. It just looks so much better. I have them all on GBC but decided to play 3 on SNES so we could play together.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Argh. This thread is selling me on this...almost.
My favorite DQs were 4,5 and 11. I never got a chance to play the first 3.
Is it really that great? I miss the warm comfy charming feels only a Dragon Quest can give.

What do do? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Well, for me the game does give me that warm comfy DQ feeling--but it's possible I don't know what that is, or that we have different definitions. Before this I'd actually only played 8 on the PS2, so I've neither played the highest-tech 2D entries nor the most recent 3D one.

At first, the first-person static battles felt a bit weird to me (I'm not a huge JRPG player) but I got used to it. The thing I dislike most still is probably them using Toriyama's key art--the monsters in battle looking Photoshop-cutout clean instead of at all pixelated. As for animations, at this point I guess it's like, I can't miss what I've never known. That goes for the pachisi minigame too.

The world feels alive to me and full of interesting, surprising things, mostly the towns or the people who populate it, but again I haven't played the DS remakes so I can't compare. But as a game, despite flaws and omissions, it's wonderful and has absolutely sucked me in. I can acknowledge Square Enix's wanton laziness when it comes to ports and at the same time be absolutely obsessed with Dragon Quest 3 right now.

(On the bright side, it's relatively cheap...at least for a Switch game.)

Oct 25, 2017
If you're only ever going to play a single RPG released in the 80s, DQ3 is the one to go with. All of the ports are pretty good. Yeah, there's stuff to criticize, but advantages as well.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Any idea how this runs on a vita with retroarch? I guess I could patch it and play it on my 3ds as well, I just need to be able to play it portably. I have III on gba as well but I need to get my gba fixed.

Any suggestion on the best way to play I and II? I have the DQ 1-2 cart as well but I'm down to emulate them in a portable system if there was a SFC remake.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Edgy fan translation stuff?
Yeah. I really didn't like what they did with one particular NPC's dialogue.

qnk8vdX.png
2V33v7y.png

It's still the best version of the game, but the translation could really use a major editing pass.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the GBC version a long time ago and just redoing the beginning over and over again to see all the variations from the personality quiz.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't gotten too far, but I haven't seen any slowdown on my end in the hour or so I've played.
You always come through and I appreciate the fuck out of it. How's the sound? I tried chrono trigger a few weeks ago on vita and it was BAD.

What core are you using? If it runs well I'm firing this up tomorrow.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DQ3 (particularly the SNES version, though I originally completed the game way back when on the GBC) is one of my favorite RPGs. It holds up rather well even today. DQ3 is the iconic Dragon Quest game as far as I'm concerned.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You always come through and I appreciate the fuck out of it. How's the sound? I tried chrono trigger a few weeks ago on vita and it was BAD.

What core are you using? If it runs well I'm firing this up tomorrow.

2005 Plus, and sound seems fine.

I just loaded it back up (not even sure if it's OC'd CPU, I read somewhere that RetroArch automatically OCs it now upon load, could be wrong), but a quick romp through the overworld, some towns, and battles, and I had no problems with performance.

I can test later with manual OC to see exactly what the overhead is, too. But there's no obvious issues.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
2005 Plus, and sound seems fine.

I just loaded it back up (not even sure if it's OC'd CPU, I read somewhere that RetroArch automatically OCs it now upon load, could be wrong), but a quick romp through the overworld, some towns, and battles, and I had no problems with performance.

I can test later with manual OC to see exactly what the overhead is, too. But there's no obvious issues.
If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate it.

thanks so much. This week has fucking sucked and now I have something to look forward to.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate it.

thanks so much. This week has fucking sucked and now I have something to look forward to.

No problem. I disabled my OC plugin recently because of conflicts with Adrenaline - I've been playing a few of the Final Fantasies on eCFW, particularly FFIII since it's compatible with GePatch. I can 100% do some testing later tonight.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. I really didn't like what they did with one particular NPC's dialogue.

qnk8vdX.png
2V33v7y.png

It's still the best version of the game, but the translation could really use a major editing pass.
I'm doing my DW3 script port right now. Then it's the SNES remakes next. I'll get there slowly but surely.

That's no good, people can be so stupid with this stuff, why put that in?

Sounds good Choppa, godspeed with it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
DQ3 was definitely ahead of its time when it got released which is why it still holds up so well today.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
As you've mentioned, DQI is a really neat game, especially with its solo, 1v1 adventure. I personally despised DQII, and cannot imagine how anyone could've completed it without a guide, and DQIII... Oh boy. I played DQIII shortly after I finished DQXI and was absolutely blown away by it. For my entire playthrough, I couldn't believe this game came out in the late 80's. It holds up extremely well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Perhaps I could ask a bit of advice here.

Would there be any issues turning my Thief into a Sage? That way, I figure, I'd have a character who knew all the spells, including the Thief-only ones, all of which I've learned now with my Thief at level 21.

Although then, perhaps my Cleric would be a bit useless... maybe I could turn her into another Martial Artist/Fighter? So far my Martial Artist has probably been my best damage dealer... or just about as good as my hero, and probably with better defence.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Well I did it, and she's already up to level 12. (I kept a "real" King save in case things go horribly wrong.)

Her stat gains upon levelling up don't seem terribly good though (she's Vamp/Sexy). Most of my characters get pretty big numbers, but my Thief-Sage often gets 0s and 1s on several stats. Is that because she already has/had those stats? I had heard that Thieves start slowing down around level 20, so maybe that's it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Ooo.. I didn't know these were on the Switch now, I presume it's on the NSO subscription?

Do you recommend starting with 1? :)