• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 6 of my 6 part playthrough of the Dragon Quest series on mobile. If you missed my previous threads, you can find them here (unfortunately because I deleted my screens from DQ1 and DQ2 the images don't work anymore so I'm sorry about that);

Dragon Quest 1

Dragon Quest 2

Dragon Quest 3

Dragon Quest 4

Dragon Quest 5

I'm keeping the same format as the DQ4 and DQ5 LTTP by updating this thread as I finish each part (as determined by the walkthrough I'm using), so there'll be two or three more updates after this one. The OP will cover the the start of the game to gaining Vocations and I'll threadmark subsequent parts as I play through the game.

DQ_VI_Super_Famicom_Box_%28Front_Side%29.png

So, it's been a while! Full disclosure, I actually started playing this game at the end of July but I got distracted by other games I wanted to play and other IRL stuff so I kind of put this aside for a while, but I'm back on it! I did finish 'Part One' (according to the walkthrough I'm using) a couple of days ago but I've been so caught up in grinding vocations (more on that later!) that I forgot to post this LTTP. So, without further ado, let's begin!

20200730_194245.jpg
20200730_194253.jpg
20200920_191732.jpg

Though the opening was really interesting with its set up and intrigue, I felt like the actual beginning of the game was a bit slow in terms of pacing and keeping me interested. The parts with the Hero (who I named Rek) and his sister in their village, getting ready for the festival and then meeting up with Carver were OK but I just felt like there were long periods of the game where nothing interesting was really happening. You already had the hook of there being two worlds pretty early on but it was still being played as something mysterious so there wasn't really much to go off. I didn't hate this part of the game per se but it definitely felt more like the older Dragon Quest games (1-3) where once you get the mission of leaving the Castle nothing really happens for a bit.

20200920_191744.jpg
20200925_224533.jpg
20200920_191756.jpg

20200920_191806.jpg
20200920_191816.jpg
20200920_191826.jpg

I definitely think the game picked up when you met Milly, however, as the game actually started to answer some questions (not all of them, but some). I'll briefly touch upon the Dream World and Real World aspect of the game even though I probably haven't gotten the full context of it yet. I think it's a pretty neat gimmick for the most part. Having two different worlds with one being an offshoot of the other where other versions of people exist is pretty cool, even though the game so far hasn't really used it yet (though I'm sure it will). From a gameplay perspective I find it kind of annoying especially when my grind spot for Vocations and Alltrades Abbey were in two different worlds, but that's more of a nitpick than anything. Like I said, I'm still early in when it comes to narrative stuff so I won't comment fully, but so far I think it has potential to be cool. Not 'best in the series' cool, but who knows.

20200920_191839.jpg
20200920_191848.jpg
20200920_192034.jpg

20200920_192041.jpg
20200920_192051.jpg
20200920_192105.jpg

I'll use this space to talk about the characters briefly. Again, I'm only like a 1/3 (maybe) into the game so maybe opinions might change as I keep going. I say this because honestly, I think I like these characters more than DQ4's party. If you read my LTTP on DQ4, you would have seen me absolutely gush over Alena and how great she was, and my opinion on her hasn't changed. That being said, thinking about it now no one else from DQ4 really stood out to me as being as good as her. I'm not saying that DQ6's party is as good as Alena, but overall I'm liking them more than the rest of DQ4's. So far the only real weak link I've come across is Ashlynn, though I'm sure there's more to her. But Carter, Nevan, Milly and Amos have had some great lines in the party chat and so far I've just been enjoying their presence a lot. Maybe it's because it's been so long since I played DQ4, but yeah I feel like outside of Alena I enjoy this cast more (for now).

20200920_192212.jpg
20200920_192221.jpg
20200920_192230.jpg

Murdaw was OK I guess. I could tell after a while that he wasn't the 'real' main villain of the game despite its best attempts to convince me that 'we saved the world guys trust me(!)', but he wasn't bad for the role he played. I'm interested to see what his links to whoever the 'real' main villain are but yeah, I honestly expect to forget about him after a while (and if it wasn't for NPCs mentioning him I'd have forgotten about him already lol). The build up to the next part of the game's story is interesting. Carver joining up with his 'other' self was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to the others doing the same. All in all, I'm pretty excited for the rest of the game.

20200920_192244.jpg
20200920_192253.jpg
20200925_225601.jpg

Now I was going to end this part there, but after initially playing a bit more and ending up spending several days on it, I have to talk about Vocations. I didn't really know what to think of DQ6's job system when I first heard about it. It honestly just sounded like DQ3's job system but more complicated? But I have to say, I LOVE it. I don't know why, but I'm really digging the layers to each job combining to unlock another stronger job and I'm really enjoying giving each party member their own job and seeing what they bring to the table. As a result I'm already using characters in my party that I had no intention of using just because the combination of their jobs has made them so valuable. Honestly, I think I prefer this to any other gameplay/job mechanic I've come across in the series. More than DQ3's system and yes, more than DQ5's Monster Catching (though that's a damn close second). I also feel like it's made grinding more manageable for me. Grinding levels doesn't seem at all daunting anymore when all I'm focusing on is how many battles I have left before the next mastery level is reached. Since I unlocked vocations I've levelled up everyone nearly ten levels and I barely even noticed. I may have gone a bit too far in the grinding honestly (at this point in the game (just passed by Terry for the first time) as everyone is already on their upper grade job with one character having already mastered theirs and I'm one mastery away from getting the Hero to the Hero vocation. I don't know, I just love this system that much lol. I'm interested in hearing what others think of it.

So that's part one of Dragon Quest 6 so far. All in all, I'm enjoying it! Perhaps more than DQ4 itself, but that may change. I've been genuinely interested in DQ6 for a while now as I feel like it's a game no one really talks about. I had a similar feeling with DQ2 which I honestly ended up loving, so I have a good feeling the same will happen here. I'll post the second part of the LTTP when I reach it in the walkthrough so until then, thanks for reading! Before I go though, here's a tease at what I'll be covering when I post part 2;

20200925_225612.jpg

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This game seems like the black sheep of the Dragon Quest series (barring X since it is an MMO) but I had a really good time with it as well. Like you said, it has a slow beginning compared to the other games and has some long endless stretches. When it does get good, it gets really good. The cast isn't a favorite for a lot of people I've seen on the internet but I really like them, too. The vocation system is fun - I really enjoyed grinding them. Hope you enjoy the rest of the game, there is still a lot more to come. One of these days, I am going to try a patched Super Famicom version.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's my least favorite DQ. I think it's just another iteration on everything they had done up to that point, but it doesn't bring anything new and doesn't have a strong personality to set it apart either. It's just another entry.

Also the story is very confusing, the two world mechanic didn't quite land and I was just confused about where I was and who were those people all the time. The job system is also very underwhelming, it's miles behind what FF5 had done in the same period.

That said, it's still DQ and this means it's a great time anyway. It's charming, colorful, have some great vignettes and addictive gameplay like they all do. The character design in this one is also kind of unique, it screams 90's Toriyama at peak DBZ popularity, I love it.

It's a good game but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't been introduced to the franchise already.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I really liked the cast in this one, and the concept of the 2 worlds was really interesting. Though I think the pacing was really lacking, after having to search for the prince. Probably because this game is less linear that the previous installments.

I did like the story of Terry and Milly as well, though I wasted hours before even 'triggering' their story.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'd highly recommend anyone who played the DS remake and didn't really click with it to try the SNES version. I really felt like the DS version's pacing was messed up with some of the changes, and the music doesn't sound nearly as good.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
dragon quest 6 is sort of a weak spot in the franchise tbh - it had some notoriety back in the day because it was a decently nice looking SFC RPG, but i feel like without the standout graphics it's kind of.... i guess part of it is that dragon quest 7 really expanded on the systems, and by the time the DS/phone port rolled around you'd already had 7, 4, and 5 in the same engine so there was a lot of franchise fatigue

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If you love the vocations in this one wait until you play DQ7. You can sink hundreds of hours into that for the vocation system alone.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly love the stories in 6. It's one of my favorites. Some of the stories have been sort of reused and repurposed in other DQ8 games, particularly 8 and 11.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favourite DQs because of the dream concept which is excellent. I should play it again.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Have the SFC version. Always got hung up on the beanstalk thing. Always though the production value was great for SNES. Easily on FF6 level.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you love the vocations in this one wait until you play DQ7. You can sink hundreds of hours into that for the vocation system alone.

Oh that's nice, I didn't know DQ7 had vocations. I don't know if I'll get round to DQ7 because of how long it is and the fact there's no mobile version (I don't have a 3DS either) but if I ever do I'm definitely more excited for it now!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Terry is one of my favorite video game characters ever. I think DQ VI has a wonderful main cast and some great vignettes. It deserves a better reputation.

Jul 17, 2018
One of my least favorites DQ games. Way too many fights, lots of grinding the vocations. Really tedious. And the story is nowhere as good as in DQ5.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's nice, I didn't know DQ7 had vocations. I don't know if I'll get round to DQ7 because of how long it is and the fact there's no mobile version (I don't have a 3DS either) but if I ever do I'm definitely more excited for it now!
I think it's my favorite after DQXI. It is very long and it's hard to replay too many times but on your first playthrough the vocation system is sublime. It basically expands on 6's in every way and adds a ton of new ones, including monster vocations. Not to mention a bunch of new skills too.

I also really like the "episodic" way the story is set up for the first half of the game. It's fairly unique in that way.

But yeah it's a shame it's not on mobile. And the game is very, very long. Probably at least 100 hours even without doing crazy grinding for vocations.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I havent played this game but I have an old nintendo power issue that previewed this game and the sprite work and the class system, just magical.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it OP, it's a lovely game.

I'd highly recommend anyone who played the DS remake and didn't really click with it to try the SNES version. I really felt like the DS version's pacing was messed up with some of the changes, and the music doesn't sound nearly as good.

Agreed, original version clicks better with me.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

If you're comfortable with emulation you could buy & rip the original US PSX version (Dragon Warrior VII). Though I've noticed the prices have started shooting up on ebay recently.

I actually prefer PSX DWVII to the 3DS DQVII as they butchered the opening in the 3DS version. I agree it could have done with a bit of streamlining, but Horii just took a cleaver to it...3DS version has some nice QOL things like visible enemies and a tracker for some of the important quest items, but overall I prefer the original version.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're comfortable with emulation you could buy & rip the original US PSX version (Dragon Warrior VII). Though I've noticed the prices have started shooting up on ebay recently.

I actually prefer PSX DWVII to the 3DS DQVII as they butchered the opening in the 3DS version. I agree it could have done with a bit of streamlining, but Horii just took a cleaver to it...3DS version has some nice QOL things like visible enemies and a tracker for some of the important quest items, but overall I prefer the original version.

Yeah I have considered it. I also like the look of the PS1 version more but it's the length that throws me off lol. Though I could try and use cheats if I emulate it. Hmm, I'll look into it and see what happens. Hopefully I can keep doing these LTTPs as I've enjoyed doing them.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have considered it. I also like the look of the PS1 version more but it's the length that throws me off lol. Though I could try and use cheats if I emulate it. Hmm, I'll look into it and see what happens. Hopefully I can keep doing these LTTPs as I've enjoyed doing them.

Turbo/frameskip would defo be useful for the first hour or two which is basically walking & talking between three places lol

VII is definitely a time investment, to the point that I've only ever replayed it once.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Its not even that long, 60-80 hours is pretty standard length for jrpgs now days, and DQ6 you could at for 60 hours itself, ao it is not even that daunting

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even that long, 60-80 hours is pretty standard length for jrpgs now days, and DQ6 you could at for 60 hours itself, ao it is not even that daunting

I think you'd only hit 60hrs on DQVI if you were really grinding levels. A standard first time player completion time is probably comfortably below 50 hours.
DQVII I haven't played recently enough to give a time, but here it suggests 100 hours:
howlongtobeat.com

How long is Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past? | HowLongToBeat

How long is Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!
I always feel their average times are a bit high, so it's probably more like 90hrs.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'd only hit 60hrs on DQVI if you were really grinding levels. A standard first time player completion time is probably comfortably below 50 hours.
DQVII I haven't played recently enough to give a time, but here it suggests 100 hours:
howlongtobeat.com

How long is Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!
I always feel their average times are a bit high, so it's probably more like 90hrs.

First playing DQ 7 I beat in just over 60 hours, maybe 70, which is nothing too bad, you probably hit that playing DQ 8 first time. Nobody is going to spend 100 hours unless they are leveling, hoping for monster heart drops, lol, or diving deep into the job system.

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
howlongtobeat.com

The 3DS game is notably shorter too, even with the special dungeons the average playtime is around 80 hours, which is around what it took me including playing through most of the harder DLC tablets:

Now I haven't played the PSX version to compare, but I think both have their pros and cons, so if game length is that important to the person, finding a way to get ahold of the 3DS version might be for the best.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Original version, this would be about 6 or seven years ago now, but my final play time after
killing god and getting him to join my village was around 89-90 hours, which was after beating the main story, obviously, which I beat incoser to 70 hours.

Hmmm, maybe I should replay and see how it goes. It definately felt a lot longer then DQVI when I played it.

The 3DS game is notably shorter too, even with the special dungeons the average playtime is around 80 hours, which is around what it took me including playing through most of the harder DLC tablets:

Now I haven't played the PSX version to compare, but I think both have their pros and cons, so if game length is that important to the person, finding a way to get ahold of the 3DS version might be for the best.

Yes, the opening is way shorter and the QOL stuff will also help - some fights will be avoidable and the tracker helps you not miss things and have to double back. Although the job system in the remake is watered down so you can't become as powerful, but those are late game issues anyway.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Oddly I do too, something is just off with the 3DS version, can't always quite put my finger on it, the absolute butchering of the opening is one, the opening for me is such a strong emblematic point of the game, really helps reinforce the isolation of it all. 3DS has tons of QOL improvements that are hard to let go but there are times where recently a guard walked through a door and his whole head was above the lintel and clipped through it, there is just a sloppiness to the game.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It's my least favorite DQ. I think it's just another iteration on everything they had done up to that point, but it doesn't bring anything new and doesn't have a strong personality to set it apart either. It's just another entry.

Also the story is very confusing, the two world mechanic didn't quite land and I was just confused about where I was and who were those people all the time. The job system is also very underwhelming, it's miles behind what FF5 had done in the same period.

That said, it's still DQ and this means it's a great time anyway. It's charming, colorful, have some great vignettes and addictive gameplay like they all do. The character design in this one is also kind of unique, it screams 90's Toriyama at peak DBZ popularity, I love it.

It's a good game but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't been introduced to the franchise already.
That's actually how I'd describe it exactly. It's okay, doesn't do anything new at all and really felt like it under delivered for me with the two worlds stuff. Had great promise at the beginning then just became "meh". It's still dq, I still had fun but it's my least favorite dq.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame this game doesn't seem to be very loved by Japanese fans. It's the only one where the remake outright removed features (including the entire monster system which was simplified into a few recruitable slimes) since it didn't seem to be high priority for them.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I've wanted to try the SNES version for years but last time I checked the translation patches were incomplete or not that good. That was a few years back so I'm not sure if progress has been made or if there is one that's considered the best

I played the SNES version of V with a fan patch and adored that

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's been about 20 years since i played it but it ranks up there in my memory as one of my fav DQs. i was always puzzled why it's a bit of an underdog

and yeah i happened to play DQV recently, opinion stands

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted to try the SNES version for years but last time I checked the translation patches were incomplete or not that good. That was a few years back so I'm not sure if progress has been made or if there is one that's considered the best

I played the SNES version of V with a fan patch and adored that

This is the patch people use:

www.romhacking.net

Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi

You may have seen NoPrgress mentioned on DeJap and stuff, but don't be fooled! This patch right

The translation is mostly done. There's a bit of text here and there that's untranslated, but nothing essential (mostly books, shop text and new lines for old NPC's), and there's only one line *really* I'd have liked to have been able to read. There is a bug mentioned on the linked page that is quite nasty so save often if you use it.
There will be no progress on this patch as NoPrgress left the romhacking scene 19 years ago.
It's possible Translation Quest will translate it at some point, but even if they take it up it'd be years away.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The SNES version has monster catching like 5 SNES (although 5 DS largely gutted that system too).

The way it worked is certain monsters had a small % chance upon being defeated to get back up at the end of battle and ask to join you. For some monsters this was super rare - 1 in 256 or greater - but the monsters had innate resistances and larger stat differences that human characters did not. (can you imagine a playthrough where you swap out Hassan for a Boss Troll Battlemaster?)

So if you were crazy lucky, you could get a Magic Lamp by midgame and be pretty much good to go. The fact that RNG made it so you couldn't plan for some monsters to join you in a normal playthrough (without serious grinding) meant that it became a true "holy shit" moment.

If you do play 7 on 3DS, they did something quite brilliant with the class system that deserves its own post.

Last edited:
Part 2 and 3 complete
OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So according to the guide I'm using I've completed parts 2 and 3, and given 3 was mostly pick up stuff I just combined it into one post. The game is going good so far, but I still feel like it's pretty aimless for the most part in that I'm still just randomly going around picking up items I'll need later and doing random side quests. That's not a bad thing as the earlier games were the same, but coming from DQ5 where I felt like everything we did had a point, it's definitely a step down imo.

20200925_225622.jpg
20200925_225631.jpg
20200926_201211.jpg

So continuing off from the last post, prior to getting my vocations I stopped off to get the first optional party member in the game, Amos. I've had a soft spot for Amos ever since I accidentally discovered he was in the game a few months ago mostly because no one really talked about him, and I'm usually more drawn to the stuff that no one talks about lol. His side quest in Scrimsley was pretty neat. I liked the wild monster aspect of his story and thought it was interesting that the 'good' choice was to not tell him he'd been terrorising the town in order to recruit him. Ever since then I've kept him in my party which I'm really glad about as I've been loving his party chat dialogues. I haven't take many screens of them, but some of them have been really funny and just reinforces my feelings that I like this cast a lot.

20200927_201313.jpg
20200927_214050.jpg
20200927_214059.jpg

Screenshot_20200929-205941_DQ6.jpg
20200929_212832.jpg
Screenshot_20200929-213551_DQ6.jpg

The side quests so far have been OK, nothing that's really blown me away yet but none have been awful. The flying bed side quest was interesting, I liked going back and forth between the two worlds to get different view points on what was going on. The Howie side quest was annoying but it's clear that was the intent. The kid was annoying as hell and I hated that he kept running off but I still found it entertaining enough. The woman in the mirror quest was a bit boring for me imo, pretty cookie-cutter fairy tale stuff that didn't do anything for me. I was waiting for a twist or something that would surprise me but nothing happened. The mermaid one was decent but seeing as DQ11 has a similar side quest (which imo is done better) I wasn't too bothered about this one, which is kind of unfair as this game obviously did it first. There are others that happened during this time as well (given most of part 2 and 3 were side quests) but they were either too minor to screenshot or too forgettable to talk about lol.

20200930_184236.jpg
20200930_184737.jpg
20200930_213714.jpg

Screenshot_20201004-231624_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-231712_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-231801_DQ6.jpg

Underwater exploration was really cool, I enjoyed swimming under islands to discover new locations and scenes, which were actually pretty interesting! Seeing Rubiss was a shock, given she was last in DQ3 and I wasn't expecting characters to cross over between games. I'm interested in seeing if she'll come back into the story in anyway. Slimeopolis was a cool location but I didn't really stay long given I haven't been using my slime companions. The stuff with Poseidon was kind of random? Thought it was weird there wasn't really an explanation how any of these kingdoms are existing under water but hey, I've just come to accept it now at this point lol. Gracos was just like the other monster overlords, but I'm finding these sort of monster generals serving a higher, unknown power kind of interesting. Of course none of them are developed in any way but under-developed antagonists are just part of the series core at this point.

Screenshot_20201005-195135_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201005-202828_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-114149_DQ6.jpg

Main story stuff was light in this part which was a bummer but I enjoyed the parts that we got. Ashlynn got some much needed exposition as she was probably my least favourite party member, so this was more than welcome. The stuff in Sorceria was pretty interesting but still left me with some questions, which I like. I won't go into much detail about what happened, but it's definitely made Ashlynn a much more interesting character and I'm interested in seeing what happens to her from here. The catwalk screenshot is unrelated to Sorceria btw, I just liked it and wanted to include it lol.

20200925_223325.jpg
20200925_223340.jpg
20200925_223351.jpg

Screenshot_20200930-215838_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20200930-215856_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20200930-215920_DQ6.jpg

The only other story related thing that happened in this part was the introduction of Terry and Lizzie (who I already know about as well). The game has honestly done a good job in building Terry up so far as I'm really interested in seeing him join us. I've been enjoying us following him through the game with us always having just missed him as he's already completed the goal before us, it's really built him up strongly. Meeting Terry for the first time was pretty cool. I thought the use of the coffin was done well as I had no idea what it was for (I thought he had a partner who died lmao). His fight against Lizzie was also really cool. The bump in graphics since DQ4 has been awesome and it actually makes me feel bad that DQ1-3 look so...basic. They deserve better (well DQ2 and 3 do at least). I also enjoyed the scene with Lizzie later on where she's waiting for Terry. I already know some bits about how they'll interact later on so it's funny seeing those seeds being planted now.

Screenshot_20201001-201135_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20200930-214912_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-114357_DQ6.jpg

So that's where I am right now (enjoy some random shots from part 2 and 3 that I have left over). I haven't played past the end of part 3 yet, so I have no idea what's coming up exactly, but I know I'm getting Terry and Lizzie soon which I'm really looking forward to. My thoughts pretty much still stand from the end of part 1 in that the game is definite step down from DQ5 but I still like it more than DQ4 atm, but that could change if the rest of the game is as plodding and check list-y as these parts were. There should be two or three more parts after this one, so thanks for reading and see you for part 4!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It is just about to get really good! I think pacing is probably the worst part of this game (and I am currently playing Dragon Quest VII - which is much longer and the pacing can be just as uneven at times but at least they give you tons of hints about where to go next).

Finished the game
OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Woo boy, this took a long time to finish off lol. Looking at the post above me, my last update was a month ago tomorrow which is pretty crazy lol. Anyway, sorry for the long wait and apologies for bumping the thread but I finally finished the game last night! I've been playing it on and off due to other games and IRL stuff and I spent about a solid week grinding Terry and vocations so yeah, I probably could've finished sooner but ah well. I'll go into more detail as I go on, but yeah this game is weird because I think I liked it more than DQ4 but the game is just so inconsistent when it comes to actually keeping me invested that I think DQ4 was better in a lot of areas. Like I said, I'll go into it more as I post dozens of pictures lol.

Screenshot_20201009-220410_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201009-220421_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201009-220455_DQ6.jpg

My complaints about the pacing of the game still exist as you already are probably still aware of. The game has an issue of going from really interesting locations and stories to just long boring segments that don't even really mean anything and only give you some item that you might need later on. I'm normally used to this with DQ1-4 being pretty much the same way, but after DQ5 my expectations were a little high I guess seeing as I never felt like that game was as inconsistent as this one. Now, when the game is good it's REALLY good and I'm enjoying it more than the games prior to DQ5 but for a game that came out AFTER DQ5 I was hoping for a bit more consistency.

Anyway, I already knew Milly and Terry were siblings so that wasn't a shock but I thought it was funny how every time Terry was mentioned and Milly in the party she'd just say '..........' lol. I don't know, I just got a chuckle out of me how she said it every time. I don't know if they were trying to be subtle about it but to me it just made it obvious that they were linked, but hey that might have been the intent! Otherwise it was cool piecing their backstory together based on the stuff you saw and heard.

20201010_000142.jpg
Screenshot_20201010-195704_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201010-195808_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201010-200011_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201010-203129_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201010-203210_DQ6.jpg

I really enjoyed the stuff in the other Weaver's Peak and meeting the other half of the Hero (also wow I'm shocked at how many these Heroes actually speak in these games! First DQ5's Hero, now DQ6's and eventually DQ11's, it's weird given the nature of 'classic' these games are). I was looking forward to these scenes ever since we beat Murdaw and were given the quest of Pursuing [Our] True Self, so this was good to finally get to (after 800 hours of side quests lol). Seeing how this Weaver's Peak was so different to the first one was fun, especially how Buddy was an asshole (for different reasons this time) and how the Hero was some weak kid who everyone picked on or felt sorry for. Both Heroes joining together to learn Zap was a nice moment and really helped DQ6's Hero who at this point was a HUGE step down from the other Heroes in the series so far (except for like DQ1's) in my opinion, due to how just...boring he was? Like yeah he was a lost Prince and all that but idk I felt like that stuff was kind just brushed over and they didn't really explore it. I don't hate him, but yeah overall I thought he was a step down especially next to DQ5's (which so far seems like the story of DQ6's life).

Screenshot_20201013-151120_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201013-151414_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201013-151734_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201013-192143_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201013-191959_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201013-195453_DQ6.jpg

Who's ready for more side questssssssss! *air horn noises*. Actually I enjoyed a couple of these so I won't shit on them too much, but yeah it feels like a good 70-80% of this game was doing side quests and getting the occasional main story element in each one. The weird 'going into the past' part of the Castle Graceskull side quest was...well weird lol. It was a cool sidequest though and I liked going back to find that soldier's body with the armour we needed. But yeah, was that the past? It seemed like it was but the whole event repeats if you go back into the well so was it a dream?

The Mt. Snowhere stuff was also not bad. Weirdly enough it's probably one of the parts of the game I remember the most fondly which is weird because nothing really happens there other than Terry showing up. And speaking of Terry, man they are really teasing this guy! I can't think of another JRPG character (out of the ones I've played) where a future party member is foreshadowed this much. Anyway, I still love how he's always one step ahead of you, it's a really cool factor of Terry that I hope continues once he joins you [spoiler; it doesn't].

Screenshot_20201014-193500_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-194827_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-195634_DQ6.jpg

Oh hey Zenithia Castle! Long time no see! Though you're called Stormsgate/Cloudsgate Citadel now (more on that later on), it was super cool fighting a fucking FLOATING CASTLE. This was a sick boss fight tbh, just fighting this location that was huge part of DQ4 and DQ5 was great. This was also when the story picked up a LOT and my issues with the pacing pretty much went away as we neared the end of the game. Stormsgate was also home to probably the biggest scene in the game and the one that the game had been building too for hours (and of course was my favourite part of the game); recruiting Terry.

Screenshot_20201014-195732_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-202831_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-195342_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201014-203020_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-203105_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-203138_DQ6.jpg

So yeah this was a great double boss fight and scene. The game had done a great job building up Terry and I was looking forward to the reunion with Milly. I was pretty shocked that we ended up fighting Terry but I thought it was pretty cool. Finally getting him into the party was sweet and I was pleased to discover that he wasn't as awful as the guide or people online said he was. I heard that by the time Terry joins he's pretty levelled with not many vocations but for me he was probably stronger than a couple of my characters. I think they changed this for the mobile version because I looked up what his stats were in the DS version and yeah, if I was playing that version I probably wouldn't have used which would've sucked. I think they did the right thing by boosting him up a bit after building him up for so long.

Screenshot_20201014-203742_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201014-203752_DQ6.jpg
20201014_203816.jpg

Next stop was getting Lizzie which wasn't as fun as I thought it would be? I read that she has an infatuation with Terry after he beat her earlier in the game but I never really saw anything like that. I had both of them in the party when I was grinding but I don't think she ever said anything in party chat which was weird. She was cool in battle though and I liked having her with the Dragon vocation. I wanted everyone to have one job that I felt would fit them so her being Dragon was cool (especially given when you legitimately unlock the Dragon vocation lol). In case anyone was wondering, my vocations were;

Hero - Hero (obviously)
Carver - Paladin
Milly - Luminary
Ashlynn - Ranger
Nevan - Sage
Amos - Gladiator
Terry - Armamentalist
Lizzie - Dragon

This ended up working for me which I was thankful for as I didn't really mix and match vocations outside of what characters already came with (like Terry who came with like five maxed vocations lol) but I think for another playthrough I'd definitely experiment more. I barely used Milly and Ashlynn once I unlocked vocations because the ones I gave them honestly weren't that great and with the others being so effective I just didn't need them which was a shame.

Screenshot_20201101-151522_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-151604_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-151621_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201101-210402_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-210748_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-211545_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201103-205204_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201103-214912_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-184209_DQ6.jpg

Apologies for the image dump, I have more screens than stuff to talk about at this point lol. The Pegasus stuff was OK, nothing too crazy. I liked that the horse you got at the start of the game was actually Pegasus, I thought that was a cool little twist. The Dread Realm was interesting but went on for a bit too long in my opinion. I liked going through the towns there and bringing back home to the people and the realm (reminded me a lot of FF14 Shadowbringers actually lol), but I thought the stuff in the prison dragged a bit. I still liked it though even if I rolled eyes super hard at the whole 'oh this isn't the guy you were trying to save, this is that guy's younger brother who looks exactly the same!' shit. Honestly that stuff with the two Sage brothers didn't really do much for me. Also I'll be honest at this point I was so close to finishing this game I've been playing since fucking July that I kind of checked out at parts (which is why there aren't any screens for certain parts, mostly the ending), so my bad for that.

Screenshot_20201104-192226_DQ6.jpg
20201104_192423.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-201848_DQ6.jpg

The final dungeon was OK, pretty much what I was expecting though there were some cool parts to it like the bouncing pads and the maze that kept disappearing (not as hard as it sounds weirdly enough). At this point I was pretty much fleeing every battle because I was overlevelled at this point (not massively) and I just didn't want to drag stuff out any longer than it needed to be. I did perk up when I got to the realm where Mortamor was though, that place looked great and I wish the whole dungeon was like that. I'll briefly talk about Mortamor. If you've read my other DQ LTTPs then you'll know what my thoughts are on DQ bosses and this was no exception. The usual tropey 'evil being more evil than the other evil beings you've been fighting'. I liked this one a bit more as it was pretty much open for a while that Mortamor was the real main villain. I liked Mortamor more than Nimzo I think but I thought it was lame the two looked pretty similar.

Screenshot_20201104-203842_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-203902_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-204034_DQ6.jpg

Screenshot_20201104-210027_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-213033_DQ6.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-214456_DQ6.jpg

The final fight with Mortamor was another enjoyable final boss, and again it's crazy to me that I haven't hated one of these yet. I'm also once again blown away at the sprite animations whenever the final boss morphed into its next phase. Psaro and Nimzo's animations were also fantastic and it once again makes me feel bad that DQ2 and DQ3 didn't get a version like this as both would have benefited massively from it.

The ending was, fine, I guess. I honestly wasn't into it and thought it went on for a while. It was also insanely similar to DQ4 and DQ5's with going around the world to drop people off then one final dance and opportunity to go talk to everyone. Like it was a nice ending but having played the prior games it just felt like the same thing. The stuff with Ashlynn disappearing was actually surprising to me, I forgot she didn't have a body in the Real World so when she vanished it really caught me off guard. The final scene though really got my attention when Ashlynn hatches an egg in Zenithia and I kind of thought about it and realised;

Is this a fucking prequel?

Like for real was that the Zenithian Dragon being born? I mean it makes sense given Zenithia Castle was called Stormsgate and Cloudsgate due to it being split into two different worlds. I read online and some people said it was a prequel but others said it wasn't so I don't have a concrete answer, but yeah if this was a prequel to DQ4 and DQ5 then my mind is blown and this game honestly shot up a bit because of it.

Overall though I did like this game even though it had its issues. I really liked the cast in this game, more so than DQ4's (outside of Alena the Queen) and when this game had main story stuff going on I enjoyed that more too, but I think DQ4 had a far more consistent pace and layout for its story. DQ5 is for sure far better than DQ6 but I knew that would be the case due to how much I loved DQ5 lol. I think this is a solid entry in the series though and I think people should for sure play it, but maybe play it before DQ5 if you don't want to be disappointed by how unfocused the game is in comparison. As for a score, I gave DQ4 a 9 which in retrospect seems a little high but I'll stand by it, and seeing as I think this game is as good as DQ4 (but for different reasons) I'll give it a 9 too. Series ranking;

DQ5 > DQ4=DQ6 > DQ3 > DQ2 > DQ1

UPDATE: I have since thought more about the game and wish to change my score and rankings. I would't normally do this, but I think my current view of the game is big enough of a change to warrant it. Just gonna post my post from the next page to go into more detail about it;

Honestly the more I think back on the game the more I'm actually pretty disappointed in it. Like, the good parts are REALLY good and I enjoyed the cast a lot more than most of the earlier games I've played but man, so much of the game is just so damn boring. I agree with those who think Enix kind of felt like the only way to go after DQ5 was to just make it bigger but I don't think they had any idea to actually fill the gaps that were made by making a game like DQ5 stretch across all those hours. Then I think about all the other elements that just...aren't that great. I loved Vocations honestly, but they're so grindy especially if you want the later jobs which are pretty vital. The two worlds is cool but it just felt like a chore going between the two and sometimes I literally had no idea which world I was supposed to go in and they really should have specified which world you were currently in. I'll have to think more about it, but yeah I will end up moving DQ6 down quite a bit honestly which I'm really disappointed in.

New score is a 7 and new ranking would probably be;

DQ5 > DQ4 > DQ3 > DQ2 > DQ6 > DQ1

To explain why I put DQ2 above DQ6, I really liked my time with DQ2 and felt like it perfected everything it DQ1 did, and I feel like the other games either did the same or did something new. DQ3 took what DQ1 and 2 did and made something new with it. DQ4 took what DQ1-3 did and made it better with more of a narrative and actual party members. DQ5 took the series into a way more narrative based JRPG akin to FF and added monster catching. DQ6 followed up on what DQ5 did...but did it worse in almost every way. I do like the game fwiw and I don't think it's inherently bad, but man coming off the other games I do think it is the worst DQ game post DQ1.

I'm not doing the post game stuff for now because honestly I am desperate to move on from this game, not because I hated it but because I've just spent far too long playing it lol. I've always labelled this as a six part LTTP series and seeing as this is the final DQ game I have on my phone, for now this is it from me. I might do DQ7 at some point but I don't have a 3DS or enough money or time to play the PS1 version legit so yeah, I'll consider emulating it as a last resort. That being said, I do want a huge break from DQ for a while so if I were to play DQ7, don't expect a LTTP for it until next year lol.

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed reading this and your other threads as you go through the series.

Things I remember about DQ6:

The start of the game has a spooky uncanny feeling with the mottle slimes, everything feels a bit off and it sets the tone well for the two worlds.

The last boss has loads of forms, right? I remember that fight going on for a long, long time.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Nice job OP. To me DQVI ranks as one of the worst DQ games I played. Just wasn't as fun compared to DQV, its predecessor or DQVII its successor that got the job class system right. I think you'll enjoy DQVII more as to me it ranks in my Top 3 DQ games.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Damn you got DQ3 that low on your rankings?

I think DQVII is always a toss up whether one likes it or not because if you think DQVI is slow in some parts then boy... but you should def try it OP even though I personally despise the game.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Very nice.

Played IV through VI on my DS years back, and loved them all (V being my personal favorite probably in the franchise). But it's pretty amazing to know these are now available to play on a phone. Pretty awesome.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
SNES DQ6 is one of my favorite games in the series. Really nice 16-bit graphics, the dual worlds was fun, the cast was decent, and the gameplay is a lot more interesting & better balanced than SNES DQ5 (3 character party & too many overpowered characters) or PS1 DQ7 (way too long & bloated) IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last boss has loads of forms, right? I remember that fight going on for a long, long time.

I was playing the mobile version and it only had three. Not sure if other versions had more phases.

Damn you got DQ3 that low on your rankings?

lol yeah it looks bad but I still loved it. The only game I honestly didn't like was DQ1 but I loved the rest. It's more of a case of the other games being so good and grander that DQ3 just ended up naturally falling down the list.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up with your playthrough series, OP (a shame I'd missed them until now). While I understand you wanting to move on after this, I think the postgame extras in DQVI rank among the best. Especially the reward you get for beating the extra dungeon boss.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up with your playthrough series, OP (a shame I'd missed them until now). While I understand you wanting to move on after this, I think the postgame extras in DQVI rank among the best. Especially the reward you get for beating the extra dungeon boss.

I will for sure come back to it but I've been playing this game on and off for almost four months now and I just want to move on lol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think in 6 my fave vignette was when you go back in time and see darkdream summoned (nokturnus in the DS version I think).

Another really cool thing is the post game boss and what happens if you beat him in under X number of turns (forget how many).

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I like Dragon Quest VI, probably more than some other games in the series that I finished (like IV and IX), but it's also the least memorable Dragon Quest that I've played (haven't played through I, II, III, and X). I'm not a fan of the vocation system, personally (I'd say it'd be a lot better if battles gave points, and if levelling up classes wasn't simply a matter of fighting a certain number of battles), and the dual world gimmick ends up being really confusing since both worlds are so similar.

I'd recommend playing the 3DS Dragon Quest VII over the PS1 version, although I know the latter version has its supporters, too.