• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
0GEoAi.jpg

After a year or two I've returned to Diablo to fix my need for a good hack and slay, and after playing many different games and genres the last couple of months I must say I'm somewhat disappointed with Diablo.

First thing I want to say is that the core gameplay still holds up very well: lots of different abilities and classes and builds to choose from; many mechanics to improve your stats and gear, your entire build. I really like how complex you can go if you want to: extract different stats and bonuses from items, apply them to other ones; change the rarity; insert gem slots; combine gems and upgrade your gear how you see fit; crafting and salvaging; re-roll stats.

I love in how many ways you can tinker with your whole gear and you don't grind only one resource to increase only one stat. To make the best out of your character you can really spend a lot of time tinkering and thinking on how to achieve better stats.

0GEDn9.jpg

You said something about loot?

However, I realised this already back then that all these clever and interlocking mechanics, better stats, lead finally to nowhere. It's only about higher difficulty or rifts and the endgame cycle is simple as that: do a rift or bounty hunt, improve you gear to beat a higher greater rift. Repeat. The ultimate goal is eventually reach the highest rift possible (with that specific build). It's like a high score. Beat Greater Rift 70? Repeat aforementioned process to beat Greater Rift 75. All those tools they give you serves the sole purpose to increase that rift number and it really feels like running a hamster wheel.

And this ties into what I only realised now as I was playing for the last couple of days: the story and actual content is so, so bloody shallow. The story isn't actually that bad although it's the same old trope with a twist (Leah). It's not particular original but it doesn't feel like an epic journey full of interesting characters, intrigues and drama (apart from the narrative around Deckard and Leah). It would have been great if there had been more stories, more quests, more locations to unlock by increasing your gear and stats. I'm coming from games with no enemy scaling and locations and quests often being way above your level, skill or equipment. And you would often return later with better stats to tackle these missions, quests and stories. And it felt super rewarding because you get to know more and different characters with interesting stories – the perfect balance of gameplay and narrative. It's like when people used to increase the Wisdom stat to the max in Plancescape: Torment to get all the dialogue. Improve your character to get more out of the game. If you take joy in beating every increasing Rifts and that's all what the game needs to offer, more power to you. Whatever floats your boat and I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy that. It's just that I expect more or different from a game.

And when it comes to the level design Diablo 3 falls short as well. The visuals look beautiful and I love to stumble across old village ruins, roaming through dark forests. But the underground levels are sooo generic and everything in this game screams "I'M A GAME!". Immersion? What's that?

0GEuQo.jpg

Quite gritty, gloomy at times. Dense atmosphere.

First: It's how levels are connected. After playing Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 I noticed how awesome these games are in that regard. Everything is connected and there's no loading screen. If you go down a cave, you actually go from the forest down into a cave without the need to interact with a door-like entrance. You just go down, whereas Diablo is more like Elder Scrolls: enter a house by clicking the door and being spawned somewhere else. It could literally be anywhere. Then you have let's say the cathedral in Diablo with a layout that's impossible. It really feels like a dungeon from old school dungeon crawling games with complex interior textures painted on so it kind of looks like a cathedral from the inside but it doesn't feel like it. No amount of book shelves and destroyable tables and chairs change that when you have literally hundreds of rooms and what feels like a square kilometre of interiors. You know that scene from Loaded Weapon 1 where they enter his trailer and it suddenly becomes a palace inside? That's how Diablo 3 feels like.

Everything feels so gamey despite the intricate lore they tried to add by journals and books you can find along your way. But it's not only the level design and how it's connected. On console you have permanently this circle around character, numbers and stats and effects popping up left and right. I already disabled every meta information possible in the options menu but you can't get rid of the player circle (Pillars of Eternity offer that option, for instance). Then there is no block or dodge animation and instead there's a floating text telling you you "blocked" or "dodged". I see that additional animation could have impacted the desired ultra-fast paced gameplay flow but that's exactly my problem with the game: everything is trimmed for the gameplay and everything else goes out the window.

Another example of immersion going south: Diablo with the same three voice lines he throws at your the whole time. And then what he actually says, something "I smell your fear". Yeah right. I'm about to wipe the whole hell with him and he doesn't even realise it.

On the other hand is Diablo 3 an ultra-polished game with a great interface (even on console), a beautiful interface that is to say, and stunning visual effects and high quality voice-overs and render-sequences.

Of course you could say that you don't play a hack and slay for its story, its immersion and its characters. Why, though? I mean, you have Tyrian 2000, a bloody vertical shooter with tons of texts and story and lore; it doesn't need it to to be a fun game but it's possible. And I think I would enjoy Diablo 3 a lot more if it borrowed more from other games without sacrificing its hack and slay nature.

If you look at the recent hit Hades, you can see how they even incorporated the ever changing procedural generated rooms into the story and have characters address it. This is amazing because although a total gamey thing it stays true to the world and story the games weaves and presents to you. What a fucking amazing game and the gameplay is ultra-sharp and on point as well!

0GEfTv.jpg

Where is my Hades as a classic loot-based hack and slay like Diablo 3?

Oct 25, 2017
I missed Diablo during its highest highs despite loving 90s Blizzard. I finally tried it and loved it (D3) but I do feel I 'didn't get it' at all.

Maybe I had to have started from Diablo 1. I will definitely return to the series.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You nailed a lot of my issues with Diablo III. The whole loop just becomes unsatisfying after a while and the story is just plain bad. Such a step down from Diablo II. Along with Starcraft 2, you can really tell that Blizzard is a shadow of what they used to be. I honestly have zero faith in Diablo 4.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I still defend Diablo 3 as an incredibly first time play through experience with a lot of cool set piece moments and bosses. Those same set pieces don't really fit the kind of grindy lootathon that D3 endgame wants to be though.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
At this state in D3 they're just trying to make it as fun as possible. They're always adding a new buff for people who are gunning for the leaderboards to figure out what to do with: Getting additional powers other than what a shrine gives you, 3 instead of 4 legendary slots, etc.

It does get stale after awhile and definitely feels like they're trying to keep the community just a little busy before the next Diablo drops.

I still enjoy brainlessly going through greater rifts once in awhile and watching something on TV or listening to music. It's still a great chill game.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
D3 is still my favorite playing ARPG. The moment to moment movement, the way abilities interact etcet is great. The concept of having 6 ability slots as a build is very smart, and there is a ton of build variety there. The concept of "Every Legendary alters at least one of your abilities" is also great. It means that in theory, every beacon on the map is a chance for you to consider your build.

However, there are considerable downsides.

The writing is an obvious flaw. I'd argue that the main story is fairly decent as an escalation on the lore (The demons through deception finally gain their victory over the angels and completely conquer Heaven, but they were blindsighted by how quickly the AngelDemon hybrids finally ascended to their true potential. The Age of Nephalim begins with uncertain consequences), but it is told exceptionally poorly.

Set Items are a a straightjacket. Now the game does offer you 6 straightjackets per class, but Sets are so much better than anything else that only way, way at the other end of grinding does a nonset build appear (The very hard to gear LoN builds which need a bank full of Ancient gear to get going). So in effect, 90% of all players will be in a Set build, and most of those will adhere to 1-3 builds per set.

Motivation to play is always an issue. Most more modern lootbased games do the same as D3, except automatically. If you improve your DPS output, most encounters will either softcap you or scale enemies to you. In D3 you set that slider yourself, so it becomes more noticable.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
You nailed a lot of my issues with Diablo III. The whole loop just becomes unsatisfying after a while and the story is just plain bad. Such a step down from Diablo II. Along with Starcraft 2, you can really tell that Blizzard is a shadow of what they used to be. I honestly have zero faith in Diablo 4.
Starcraft 2 : Wings of Liberty was a pretty good campaign, I enjoyed it. I really fell off on the Zerg campaign, felt like an 80s cartoon on acid. Been meaning to try out Legacy of the Void for years now.

Jan 18, 2021
I love D3. Seeing a shitload of enemies rush you then a bunch of numbers as you use a skill and seeing the enemies disappear never gets old for me

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Motivation to play is always an issue. Most more modern lootbased games do the same as D3, except automatically. If you improve your DPS output, most encounters will either softcap you or scale enemies to you. In D3 you set that slider yourself, so it becomes more noticable.
This is also one of my biggest complaints: the sense of progression is conveyed through higher numbers and flashier visuals and stacking effects, but not something that makes much sense in-universe. And the whole concept of setting the difficulty according to your DPS, toughness, healing is a little bit strange, to say the least. I'd prefer areas, quests, bosses I need to prepare and skill for in order to beat them.

I probably expect too much from this kind of genre or game.

That is not to say the game isn't fun or that I hadn't had fun before, it's just the more time gets by and the more other games I play (also some older games than D3!) the more I see what I think are flaws that prevent the game from really excelling.

Kodiak33

Oct 30, 2017

The gameplay is a big step up, everything else is a step down IMO. Went from dark gothic to a cartoon, music is way worse and unmemorable, the boss voices are beyond stupid. Nephalem repeated over and over sounds so dumb. I was really disappointed after being a huge D1 and D2 fan.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017

I'm totally with you. It's crazy to me how big of a step down the story and the lore was in Diablo 3, especially after hearing their design philosophies of Diablo 4, really zero faith in that project. The story and lore of Diablo 2 always stood out to me as incredibly well thought out. The Sisters of the Sightless Eye, Tal Rasha volunteering to be host for Baal's Essence, Mephisto corrupting the High Council of Zakurum... Puts to shame anything Diablo 3 had to say, the tiny tiny bit of good story in Diablo 3 was Malthael.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. I still strongly feel that WoW is the worst thing that happened to the company, given how much it became their sole focus for nearly a decade and other franchises suffered from the lessons learned by it.

The Blizz North exodus being a close second.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I was a big fan of D2 and Sacred back in the day. When D3 came out, I replayed the beta over and over again. I knew it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I loved the story they presented and I enjoyed the gameplay. Level design was leaving me wanting, but I liked the assets and atmosphere.

Still a favorite game: i think I own it on every system it's available on.

I still defend Diablo 3 as an incredibly first time play through experience with a lot of cool set piece moments and bosses. Those same set pieces don't really fit the kind of grindy lootathon that D3 endgame wants to be though.

Agreed. To be honest, once I beat Diablo I just replay with a new character.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This might genuinely be the only game I can say is better on consoles than on PC. It's a blast to play local multiplayer D3.

This is definitely a game that I've had a ton of fun with over the years, 100s of hours have been spent on it.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
This is also one of my biggest complaints: the sense of progression is conveyed through higher numbers and flashier visuals and stacking effects, but not something that makes much sense in-universe. And the whole concept of setting the difficulty according to your DPS, toughness, healing is a little bit strange, to say the least. I'd prefer areas, quests, bosses I need to prepare and skill for in order to beat them.
The fans who play this series long-term just want the numbers to get bigger. A lot of the more skill-based stuff the game launched with, as well as the story content was heavily criticized at launch, and eventually stripped out of the game at their request. Those fans are not here for a story, or challenging gameplay. For them, it's a game about picking up giant loot piles and building characters.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I loved 1 and 2. But after playing the Souls-borne games I tried to play Diablo 3 and I found it somewhat boring. I didn't play for long so I'm sure there is a real good game there but it wasn't for me at this point.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
The fans who play this series long-term just want the numbers to get bigger. A lot of the more skill-based stuff the game launched with, as well as the story content was heavily criticized at launch, and eventually stripped out of the game at their request. Those fans are not here for a story, or challenging gameplay. For them, it's a game about picking up giant loot piles and building characters.

I really don't think it's entirely true the fans who played this series long term just want numbers to get bigger, maybe for current Diablo 3 ladder season players... I prefer a satisfying loot progression with a focused and defined endpoint of power (paragon levels, greater rift levels and unique/set items that can drop at any ilvl = bad basically.) Also I'm not really sure you could say Diablo 3 launched with skill based stuff. Diablo 3 launched with a ludicrous difficulty curve, the minute you hit Act 2 Inferno it turned into 1 shot city. If I didn't start as a Demon Hunter and abuse the hell out of Smokescreen with discipline regen I don't really understand how other classes were meant to survive it, but whatever I played sure doesn't fall into the skill based category, it would fall under the inane bullshit category.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This might genuinely be the only game I can say is better on consoles than on PC. It's a blast to play local multiplayer D3.

This is definitely a game that I've had a ton of fun with over the years, 100s of hours have been spent on it.
D3 on consoles is shit if you play MP with randos though due to hacking. D3 on console with local MP or SP is awesome as you said as controller support plus roll is damn good.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Word for word how I feel as well.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to like this game more, but the setting and aesthetic is just so ugly to me. Purely a personal preference thing, I just don't like the way this game looks at all

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
It was a letdown for me personally. I enjoyed it for a while but the end game was pretty lame.

I feel that Path of Exile is more of a D2 successor than D3 was. D2 holds a special place in my heart. I'm hoping D4 is much better.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
D3 on consoles is shit if you play MP with randos though due to hacking. D3 on console with local MP or SP is awesome as you said as controller support plus roll is damn good.

I bought the Switch version on sale and noped out of it after about 3 or 4 hours due to the horrifically bad inventory management compared to PC. Whatever gameplay benefits there might have been were completely negated by that.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I started up the game for the first time since launch in March last year and played the Necromancer and Crusader a bunch. Game is definitely fun and the changes they have made are all positive. I enjoyed it, a lot, but I just sorta drifted away and, again, it just didn't stick with me.

I get more overall enjoyment doing a playthrough of Diablo 1, to be honest, but I admit that might be my nostalgia speaking. I play D1 once every couple years. Diablo 3 is an objectively better game, of course, lol

Maybe it really is the atmosphere and storytelling that I dislike in Diablo 3. I felt absolutely nothing except contempt as Diablo 3's story progressed. Just sucked.

The lady Crusader and Necromancer voices were fun though, they were rad and I did like to hear what they had to say as I went. The player character dialogue, overall, is something I always kinda like in Diablo games :)

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I don't understand how this games are played. Do you just mash the attack button and beat up mobs of enemies? Can you dodge and stuff?

Jun 26, 2018
I bought the Switch version on sale and noped out of it after about 3 or 4 hours due to the horrifically bad inventory management compared to PC. Whatever gameplay benefits there might have been were completely negated by that.

Really? I've actually enjoyed the switch version a hell of a lot more than the PC version, inventory management is barely a factor once you get to the end of the game, because barely anything is worth keeping and you'll end up with too many legendaries anyways if you play long enough, so I just crush all I find at the blacksmith if I don't need it.

I wish more ARPG's supported controllers on PC... it would be a fucking godsend.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I've actually enjoyed the switch version a hell of a lot more than the PC version, inventory management is barely a factor once you get to the end of the game, because barely anything is worth keeping and you'll end up with too many legendaries anyways if you play long enough, so I just crush all I find at the blacksmith if I don't need it.

I wish more ARPG's supported controllers on PC... it would be a fucking godsend.

It probably would have gotten progressively less terrible as I needed to interact with the inventory system less, but I was a long long way from optimal gear.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Do you just mash the attack button and beat up mobs of enemies? Can you dodge and stuff?
You can on normal difficulty. In fact, the game is so easy that you can gain several levels without caring for your inventory or skills at all. Combat is not really weighty or physics-based, so you don't have to physically hit enemies like in Victor Vran, but you have to "aim" at them with your abilities (kind of like in MMOs, only that the targeting happens way faster and more intuitive in Diablo than in MMOs).

Every attack, though, has special effects (like slowing down enemies, doing lightning damage, doing area damage, hit multiple enemies across the screen etc.) and those effects should be multiplied and complemented by other skills and respective equipment, like "increasing lightning damage" or stuff like "receive armor for the amount of damage you do, lasts 5seconds" and stuff like that.

There is a dodge move in console versions which gets irrelevant later on because every character has a better and special dodge ability (like attack abilities) that also grants some effects, like moving faster for 2 seconds after a dodge. While you can and sometimes dodge out of dangerous situations, it's really about stats and underlying mechanics of your equip. It's not like player skill-based combat as in Sekiro/Souls games. That doesn't mean, though, you don't need player skill at all. If you want to do the highest difficulties there are you really have to know how to play a character and a certain build you've choosen, otherwise you'd be dead within two seconds. But this ultimately leads to the hamster wheel problem I've descriped in my OP.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Have you played Path of Exile? It still has a hamster wheel problem like any game of this genre, but at least there, there are multiple hamster wheels you can jump between (trying to fill out your atlas, deep delving, trying to defeat ultimate bosses, focusing on various league content, etc.).

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand how this games are played. Do you just mash the attack button and beat up mobs of enemies? Can you dodge and stuff?

Well the first thing I'd say is load up one of these kinds of games and give it a shot =)

In general I'd say no to your mash attack button, what you're describing there sounds more like a beat em' up. Potentially in the early going, or some specialized late game builds in these kinds of games may use only 1 button for an attack but in general you normally have 2 maybe 3 main attacks that you use, 1-2 defensive abilties and finally some sort of movement ability.

In most of these games I've played some enemies do strong telegraphed attacks you can dodge, the vast majority of normal enemies do not though, it's more about building your character and equipping strong enough gear to block/dodge/mitigate/life leach thru enemies attacks long enough to crush all your foes.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it, played at least 12 seasons but it just didn't capture me the way D2 did.

D3 is amazing, after RoS and the removal of the real money auction house.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I loved this game the first time through.

I played it last year and just found it incredibly mindless. D2 holds up much better for me.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it, played at least 12 seasons but it just didn't capture me the way D2 did.

D3 is amazing, after RoS and the removal of the real money auction house.

Every couple seasons I think I want to play again, but the amount I play decreases every time. Last season I barely made it 20 hours before stopping.

strangemymind

Nov 7, 2017
Just started a second playthrough of this since it's possible that I've finally sucked the life out of Grim Dawn after... four(?) playthroughs

It's much as I remember it: bad story, only moderately interesting character building, and great moment-to-moment gameplay. It's insultingly easy on the default difficulty levels (I had forgotten about this), which makes it impossible to understand if your build is working or not since everything just dies immediately.

I always want more games like this for co-op character building/theorycrafting/loot grinding, but there don't seem to be many of quality. They're harder to build than you'd think

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2 : Wings of Liberty was a pretty good campaign, I enjoyed it. I really fell off on the Zerg campaign, felt like an 80s cartoon on acid. Been meaning to try out Legacy of the Void for years now.
Legacy of the Void, gameplay wise, is a big step up compared to Heart of the Swarm. Story is more absurd though.

Only campaign that had a decent story was the Nova Covert Ops pack. Shame Blizz didn't release more of them.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Is this too good to not try? My buddy left a console version for me but I've been side-eying it since the HK and Activision stuff.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is this too good to not try? My buddy left a console version for me but I've been side-eying it since the HK and Activision stuff.
As mentioned by some people here before the moment to moment gameplay is actually fun, even more so on console with local couch coop. The gameplay mechanics offer some real depth and intricacy if you want. Don't expect too much a challenge, from the narrative and characters, and the endgame though.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, as I finally just started this game, after buying it twice.

I've been looking at my backlog on my Xbox Series X, switch and Quest 2. Sickened by it. It's literally 50+ games I "own" that I haven't even started yet. Not including game pass.

So I got serious with myself and decided to really tackle it. First off, Diablo 3 for the Switch.

For a switch port, it plays and performs pretty well. I'm liking the Necromancer. Feels a bit overpowered early on.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, as I finally just started this game, after buying it twice.

I've been looking at my backlog on my Xbox Series X, switch and Quest 2. Sickened by it. It's literally 50+ games I "own" that I haven't even started yet. Not including game pass.

So I got serious with myself and decided to really tackle it. First off, Diablo 3 for the Switch.

For a switch port, it plays and performs pretty well. I'm liking the Necromancer. Feels a bit overpowered early on.
My favorite part of the game is the progression. It's really smart and every new level it feels like it changes the game.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Yeah, they clearly went for a "make this the most fun class right from the start" approach with their last character. Everything the game throws at you is a walk in the park with the Necro.
Oh, he's very fun to play as. Spamming the summon button, blowing up corpses and whatnot. I'm probably gonna up the difficulty though.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Diablo 3 is definitely a one step forward, two steps back thing for me. It just feels good to play, and honestly, years removed from the original D2 design, appreciate how much it lets you tinker with skills and builds without repercussion. But the vibe of the game is all wrong. Diablo was never a horror game per say, but aesthetically it always flirted with dark and oppressing spaces, and whenever I play D3, I think that is the thing that always feels slightly off. I love playing act 1 more than the others specifically because it feels more in line with that visual and tonal design.

One thing D3 still probably does better than any other hack n slash is playing on a controller(it fucking sucks that they never patched in controller support for pc). It's the only way I really want to play these kinds of games anymore, and D3's implementation works so fucking well. I'll give kb+m a try for the D2 remaster and D4, but I won't be surprised if I end up sticking to a gamepad in the end.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the game for what it was; but the end game hamster wheel of rifts cannot last very long and stay entertaining. It just can't. Its shallow.

Set Items are a a straightjacket. Now the game does offer you 6 straightjackets per class, but Sets are so much better than anything else that only way, way at the other end of grinding does a nonset build appear (The very hard to gear LoN builds which need a bank full of Ancient gear to get going). So in effect, 90% of all players will be in a Set build, and most of those will adhere to 1-3 builds per set.

Then there is this. Sets are so powerful that they are the only real foundations you can use which is even more shallow.

But the combat movement art design and physics are top notch. Its incredibly fun to kill stuff in the game which is why I got so many hours out of it. By contrast a game like POE had incredible build depth and incredible itemization possibilities and depth but the core combat was a total snore fest and visually it was like smeared mud. It really amazes me how those two games are the opposite of one another. But at least fun gameplay gave me some enjoyment with D3.

Im hoping D4 ditches the idea of rifts for endgame and finds another approach. Lifts the shackles of sets being the only item foundation thats viable at high levels and maintains the most important part: Fun gameplay. Without it being fun to kill shit; your loot game craters my enjoyment. Not gonna spend 100+ hours killing shit if killing shit isn't enjoyable.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't love this game the way some do. It feels very good, especially on console, but I kind of hate the way it looks (especially so far from release). It's pretty bland for me

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Someone needs to contact Blizzard/Microsoft/Digital Foundry.

By playing this on the Xbox Series X/S, you lose all the Xbox One X enhancements. It literally runs like it's playing on a base Xbox One.

Luckily Microsoft gave me a refund. This is the first time I have seen/heard of a BC game looking/performing worse on the new consoles.