• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Fevaweva

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
it was the melodrama. it was somewhere between the boy eating his mom and the love interest being brutally murdered that it felt less like a show that was trying to say something and more of one that was trying to get a rise out of the viewer.

Fair enough. I partly agree with you there, maybe not with the latter - the anime hero has to go super sayain at some point - but the former was just something else.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Nihilistic in the extreme. I don't know why so many people heap praise on this gross ass anime, but I guess there's a lot of edgelords out there, especially among anime fans.

Yep. This is easily one of the worst pieces of media I've ever seen, and I'm a fan of Yuasa's other works.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely incredible show. I rewatched with a friend who isn't huge into anime and he was blown away. His reactions to several moments were priceless.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this show last week. I had seen some of the old OVAs before this but never got past the half way point, so I never knew how it ended. Ho boy was I not prepared.

It's very nice to know some of my favorite works (End of Eva, Berserk) are inspired by this series. Not just the death but the tone and themes. I might need to rewatch this after Christmas lol.

I would say there are parts of the Berserk manga that are still much harder to read/process than Devilman Crybaby but it is close.
This is correct. The Berserk manga has some pretty gnarly/gross stuff in it

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Yuasa is a crazy MF adapting a crazy MF manga.

1/2 OT: Masaaki Yuasa is absolutely insane and in my book the best japanese animation director currently out there. His inventiveness, but also sheer variety in what kind of films he's able to push out at an insane pace leaves me speechless.

This here is the stuff he's released JUST WITHIN THE LAST FIVE YEARS:
4 feature films, 4 series. I don't know how this is physically possible.
A friend of mine has worked with him in the past and says he literally has no social life. Extreme, sure, but damn if the results aren't impressive...

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
As someone who's only seen the anime, isn't it being nihilistic to the point of grossness like the point? I appreciate there being space for something that flirts with what true darkness would look like and not pulling any punches that might make it less appealing to a more general audience

plus disgust is a totally valid emotion that the artist probably wants you to feel lol

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
1/2 OT: Masaaki Yuasa is absolutely insane and in my book the best japanese animation director currently out there. His inventiveness, but also sheer variety in what kind of films he's able to push out at an insane pace leaves me speechless.

This here is the stuff he's released JUST WITHIN THE LAST FIVE YEARS:
4 feature films, 4 series. I don't know how this is physically possible.
A friend of mine has worked with him in the past and says he literally has no social life. Extreme, sure, but damn if the results aren't impressive...
I follow Yuasa on Twitter, and many of his posts in the past few years has been complaining he needs a break, followed by him finally announcing he was going on break in early 2020. He for sure needed one, directing all those films/shows and helping run Science Saru must have been nuts.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
as many have echoed in this thread, I definitely have no desire to watch this show ever again. beyond the sex, gory violence and general obscenity, it is just too depressing.

but it definitely has stuck with me, I'll never forget the experience of binging through it. plus, I still bump the theme often:

yeah this show just left me mad at the end. like i wasted time.

I can relate to this as well. There is no good feeling to be had by the end of it even though it was effective. I also agree with your sentiment in your followup post as well

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a masterpiece IMO. Absolutely horrific, gut-wrenching and grotesque and I couldn't stop watching it

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Nihilistic in the extreme. I don't know why so many people heap praise on this gross ass anime, but I guess there's a lot of edgelords out there, especially among anime fans.
I mean the anime specifically is a rebuke against a type nihilism hence why it starts and ends with speech that love doesn't exist and if love doesn't then neither does sorrow. It ends with the character who orchestrated the events screaming in agony about how that idea is fucking wrong. Hell in the manga the lesson that Satan learns strong think they have the right to kill the weak when they don't and that he was fool for thinking as such.