• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
capsule_616x353.jpg

Unlike most of my LttP threads (such as my recent ones on Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology), I'm not waiting until I finish the game to post it, because I'm really not sure whether I am going to stick with it or not. I picked up the game on a Steam sale a little while back.

I decided to finally started it on a whim the other day. I'm using an Xbox Series X controller to play it. My PC can run it at max settings and it's quite a looker of a game.

There's mainly two things that struck me as I'm playing it.

1. Dialogue and cut scenes - Good LORD I am so sick of hearing Die Hardman. When he's not appearing in every damn cutscene, he's ALWAYS contacting you while you're making runs. Many times during runs it feels like every 10 seconds you hear that "dooo do doo doo" and he says some other bullshit you either already knew, or could have said in the last transmission or cutscene. I'd also call this game "Holy shit just let me play the game: the video game", as they LOVE to have their cutscenes that go on forever and ever. There's times I'm thinking "oh yeah I should be able to save soon" and it just keeps going, and going, and going, and GOING. I know this is the nature of modern Kojima games, but goddamn if it ain't aggravating. I know they love to show off all the celebrities they got for this game, and the motion capture, and all, but it's just so incredibly self-indulgent to an annoying degree. I'm glad they got the celebrities, particularly people close to Kojima like Norman Reedus and Guillermo Del Toro. I get that some of this is Kojima doing tongue-in-cheek goofs, but it just comes off as annoying and self-indulgent.

2. The gameplay - I'm really really undecided about this still. I just past the point where you go steal something from the first MULE camp, which honestly I found that mission to be a blast. Having to sneak in such an open world like this is pretty neat, and the fact that you can't just kill them (or you can, but it's a bad idea for what the game tells you is obvious reasons) makes things really interesting. Yes, the game is in fact a lot of delivery missions. I was slightly surprised to find some kind of combat, but I have a feeling there's not a whole lot of it compared to the rest of the game. I do kind of like how the stealth works though. Avoiding the BTs is always fairly tense, and at first I didn't understand how to know when it was okay to not hold my breath, but I understood it on the second BT encounter. The first time one got close to me and turned the ground nearby to oil/chiralium, and one of those BTs in the shape of a whale with tentacle mouth chased me and had a few close calls. That first time you get "tagged" by the MULEs across the river was definitely unexpected and intense, and I had to run like hell since there was nothing to hide behind.

Unless this changes later on, I don't completely get the frustration people had with balancing and falling over, losing cargo all the time. Almost every video I see looks like it's from early game, and people have very Jenga tower-ass stacks of cargo and then are surprised when they fall over. They explain the balancing pretty clearly, and it still gives you button prompts. I have only had ONE cargo loss incident, and it was just me going into a river that was too deep to stand in and lost my cargo, but I was able to just get out, go downstream, and get it back easily. All the rest of the time, even when I've been pushing it on how much weight I carry, I have had close calls but used the balance controls to stay balanced. The game gives you tools like the postboxes, for instance if you have to retrieve cargo, you can use an existing postbox private storage or put down your own and use it. On that first mission where you have to take something from the MULE camp, I retrieved some of the extra cargo along the way, and set up a postbox fairly close to the distribution center, and just put some stuff there, went back after I made the delivery (which was down a hill) and got my stuff back out of the postbox.

That said, I'm not sure if this is gameplay I'm going to want to stick to for 50 hours, or however long this game is. I do like weird realistic games, and while this pushes on realistic, things like the load bearing and balance are fairly realistic, and of course nonsense like BTs and BBs are not. I like Arma 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Elite Dangerous, etc, but this game is just very different from those, because it's not consistently fun.

As much as I hate the comparison, especially comparing games that aren't even in the same genre, I think the Dark Souls-like mechanics are really neat. What I mean by that is basically the "shared helpful online content in a single player game". In Dark Souls this was things like the messages warning you of things, and summon signs. In Death Stranding that goes a step further, and there's things like other players leaving ladders, ropes, bridges, and I hear eventually roads. You can give these things "likes", which I'm still not completely sure what likes are used for, as finishing missions seems to give you them. It is pretty cool to be able to have these traversal objects left by other players show up in your world, as well as the usual advice signs like in Dark Souls.

With the annoyances of Die Hardman interrupting every 2 minutes to tell me how great it is that I'm restoring the connection to make America whole again, and how the gameplay can be monotonous sometimes, I'm really unsure whether to stick with this game or not. I'm probably going to keep playing until I get so sick of it that I will just drop it, but we will see if that's within 2 hours or 200 hours.

I know when the game originally released on PS4, opinions were rather mixed on it. These days I see the people that absolutely loved the game mostly, and those that didn't don't really talk about the thing they don't like. Has anyone else had a similar experience as me with this game?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I like...Elite Dangerous, etc, but this game is just very different from those, because it's not consistently fun.
I don't see how you could consider Elite: Dangerous to be consistently fun. That said, if you like space trucking, you may well enjoy ACTUAL trucking as you build out more roads and bases to deliver to/from. I get similar vibes from Death Stranding at times as I do from non-combat Elite: Dangerous.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you could consider Elite: Dangerous to be consistently fun. That said, if you like space trucking, you may well enjoy ACTUAL trucking as you build out more roads and bases to deliver to/from. I get similar vibes from Death Stranding at times as I do from non-combat Elite: Dangerous.
Fair enough on that point, hahaha, especially with how they keep nerfing fun things (RIP Robigo runs). I find the game to be more consistently fun that Death Stranding. Flying with Elite Dangerous's flight model alone is fun. I know you could draw parallels to the walking mechanics here, but it's just not quite the same to me.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
The cut scenes reduce significantly after the opening 10 hours or so (and come back with a vengeance at the end) so that is an issue that reduces with time. The world and methods of traversal expand too once you get past the opening area and I found that much more fun. The BT encounters however can be a pain after the initial novelty wears off, I didn't particularly enjoy MULE combat /stealth initially but that gets more enjoyable later when you have more tools to play with. The driving force behind it is that sense of shared progression, that you are working with these people who you never see apart from the fruits of their labour. Helping to complete a road from one end of an area to the other and making the deliveries so much easier was a unique experience.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
By the end of chapter 3, you will know if you like the game or not.

This is where the game opens up and gives most of your tools.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Get to chapter 3 ASAP even if the game tells you you won't be able to come back to the first part of the map for a while (it's not true). The gameplay opens up a lot in Chapter 3.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
What chapter are you in? If you don't like it by Chapter 3, it isn't for you. Chapter 3 is when it opens up.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
If you're not sure on this one after 5 hours, my advise would be to drop it.

camo

Nov 16, 2017
I quite enjoyed my time in Death Stranding but it did take me a while to get into the groove. At first I found the menus way too packed with filler and nonsense.
I spent quite a lot of time in the first area (with the engineer, elder etc) getting used to the controls and set up and pretty much auto loaded for each journey after that (which got me by fine).

The most fun I had was with the journeys and exploring. You get used to the pace, but I can see why it put a lot of people off. Save for the BT's I found it quite a chilled/relaxing game focusing on exploration and micromanagement. I played AC Odyssey not long after and DS made it feel frantic and loud.

In short... Come for the story, stay for the journey.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
By the end of chapter 3, you will know if you like the game or not.

This is where the game opens up and gives most of your tools.
Get to chapter 3 ASAP even if the game tells you you won't be able to come back to the first part of the map for a while (it's not true). The gameplay opens up a lot in Chapter 3.
What chapter are you in? If you don't like it by Chapter 3, it isn't for you. Chapter 3 is when it opens up.
I'm currently on Chapter 2.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
The sense of isolation is unparalleled, but the gameplay interrupts this to it's detriment. I'd probably enjoy more Deliveroo gameplay and less oily whales.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I played it for 70+h and let me tell you, this is a game that the more you play it the more most of its systems (micro-management and what ever you do in the moment to moment gameplay) become redundant, a game that needed a really really large world, but with the relatively small one we got most of those errands you do are unengaging, basically busy work. The boots, the battery, the stamina, the baby, the BTs, etc... they are all completely implemented in the game loosely, but I enjoyed what I played anyway...

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Get to the 2nd area and then make up your mind. The game makes you spend way too much time in what is basiclly a big tutorial.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I finally bought DS about a month ago. It's a good game and I really enjoyed the traversal mechanics but after about 15 hours of play I got the itch to install MGSV instead and have been playing through that again instead lol. I'll go back to DS but it honestly just made me miss MGS.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
If you're still on ch 2 you've just started the game, give it a little more chance once you reach the bread and butter of the game (ch3) you'll then know if u like it or not

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I think you need more time. Once you start changing the geography it really starts sinking in

That's what happened for me anyway

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
DS keeps giving you new stuff every hour or two of gameplay. For literally the entire span of this 60-70 hour game.

This can be a new threat, a new gadget, a new modifier on your objectives, etc... It means the minutia of the gameplay will change and evolve constantly but it also means you will never not hear Die Hard Man be like "Sam, we sent you a new chiral printer schematic. Give it a try if you find yourself in a tough spot."

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
In some ways, it's like an RPG that rewards your experience by making things easier the further you get in the game. Instead of leveling up the character, you're given new ways of getting around, like unlocking roads for vehicles, zip lines, floating carriers to carry more cargo, etc.

I'm revisiting the game right now, actually, post-story, polishing off the last few preppers to get them all at five stars (my own personal goal, the game doesn't even require you to find all the preppers). And it's almost stupidly easy to get around. I completely avoid all the Mules and BTs (even though I'm more than capable of dealing with any of them) just because of how I'm moving around, and I spend surprisingly little time actually traversing terrain on foot.

I'm also betting they'll release the 60fps patch for PS5 two days after I finish all my goals and uninstall the game.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game at the beginning , hated it by the end. The only thing interesting about it was the story and the hard traversals where you only had you and the world, getting to a "town" after a hard traversal is so satisfying. The combat (those boss fights are rough) , super annoying BT's or when the game gets super easy and repetitive because of roads system is where the game got bad for me.

If you don't like it after 5 hours I wouldn't stay with it, check a youtube video with the cutscenes instead.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I gotta be honest, I wasn't sure I liked it until I was pretty close to the ending. But it managed to keep me interested throughout. Found the hiking to be very meditative.

In the end, I loved it.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Yes the frequent comms and cutscene interrupts are annoying.

Doubly so because every single sentence, without exception, is complete gibberish.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
I also recently started playing Death Stranding. Currently at episode 3, I am not a fan of most of Kojima work, but after enjoying a lot mgsV I decided to give a chance to Death Stranding.

I do agree that the amount of exposition is dauting in the first hours and eclipses the good part which for me is the gameplay. There is something smoothing about traversing the game's world, even with the threats the game throws at you. The fact that players influence the state of the world is fascinating and just makes the traversal even more enjoyable.

I wish the game took itself less seriously and be a bit more like mgsV actually where it kinda puts the story on the backseat. I find myself eyerolling with all the technical names they throw at me and so far found the baby thingy a bit too silly for my taste.

Like others here are saying, episode 3 is where the game truly shows itself and fortunately, for me, it's more focus on gameplay.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I played it for 25, and i wasnt sure either.

Say what you will about the game, its truly original, and thats probably the reason its an acquired taste.

Oct 31, 2017
I got up to Chapter 3. It definitely got better/less tedious in Chapter 3 but I'm not entirely sure I want to continue, myself.

Actually, I probably will. But I'm not minding a little hiatus :p

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
For the first 10 or so hours I didn't really enjoy the game that much and it was a struggle to keep going. But I just kept on walking and embracing the world, not trying to speed run and really do my best with every package and I slowly begun to realize that I'm never going to quit. The game had sunk its hooks in me deep without me even realizing and in the end it was my second favourite game of that year (Outer Wilds would win almost any year).

There was no single moment or chapter in the game that suddenly changed my opinion, it just happened over time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you need to finish chapter 3 before you can know if the game is for you or not. At least, in your situation.

So get to chapter 3 ASAP.

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Got the game last X-mas, got to the end of chapter 3 and just kinda started playing other games. I think I was trying to complete all of the sidequest deliveries (stupid completionist habits) and got bored since it wasn't very challenging with vehicles and some of the new things you can build. BT encounters started to become a chore and slow your movement way too much for my liking.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I quit the game after about 5 hours and I was convinced to pick it up again. It was one of my favorite PS4 experiences. The slow build I feel is very intentional and part of the experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is a game I love, that I literally don't know who I can recommend it to.

The theme of the game is connections/strands, and it only really clicks once you get to the second area because that's where you see everyone working together to make the traversal easier/less cumbersome.

But there is a good chance the game will not click at all and you will bounce off it hard.

I even think "if this wasn't a game made by Hideo Kojima, would I have given it a chance"

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I can't remember what chapter I'm in but I've played a good few hours. My main gripe is the BTs. I'm not sure what the point of holding your breath is because they come back when you stop doing it. And equipping grenades in the middle of an encounter is super clunky. But there's something genius about the game, so I'm sticking with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 3 starts the game in earnest, yeah. Yes, a lot to go through in the opening hours and not knowing whether you're in for this is normal, it's that kind of game. Complaining about die hard man though, I don't know.

Nov 1, 2017
If you can push through, I'd recommend you do so. It's one of those games I liked more and more as it went on, and my opinion went up after the credits rolled and I took some time to chew on it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Ohh another Death Stranding thread:) Good!

Go straight ahead to chapter 3 and let yourself convince by this visionary piece of art.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're "unsure" in Chapter 2, you'll definitely fall on the side of liking it in Chapter 3. Most people I know who didn't hate the experience by this point fell in love with it as they got further in.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Like others have said, it really opens up and the beginning is kind of like a tutorial area almost. After that you're basically left to your own devices completely for huge stretches unless you sprint through the story missions only.

I'm still not sure I can properly describe why but this game just glued me to the screen and on paper it sounded like it should've done the complete opposite. I know it's simple but somehow I found the core loop and everything beyond addictive. I'd explore areas of the map just for the gorgeous view, atmosphere and sense of isolation. I just liked even the action of moving around somehow. I can see why it's so utterly divisive but it struck a real chord with me.

Sep 22, 2019
I tried to power through the game since I have liked every other game made by Kojima, but yeah, I have remained stuck on chapter 9 for about 4 months without any motivation to continue...

I definitely knew by the end of chapter 3 that this game was not fun, but I decided to stick with it mainly because I used a trainer to speed up 10x all the walking just to get through the slow parts as quick as possible and still it feels like a slog, can't imagine playing this on PS4.

Oct 30, 2017
The hiking and exploration in the beautiful world was breathtaking. I enjoyed it so much; some extra pair of boots, guns, hud off, floaters and exo's and off i went for hours just walking.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah this is what I really enjoyed. Also mountain climbing, plotting routes up and around all the snowy peaks and placing zip wires there for other players.
Two favorite memories of the game are working to build out the entire roadway system and then climbing the mountains and placing zip lines throughout the range to get from one side to the other.