• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
EPfHtiJXUAAJ-Dg

This is one of those games I always wanted to play and never did. Well, I finally got to and what a fucking delight this title is.

After watching this cutscene on youtube, and taking in how absolutely absurd it is, I decided... fuck it.

Immediately the game is noticeably rough around the edges, looking more like a low budget PS2 game than a 360 title. However, I think this adds a lot to both tones the game does very well. That is to say that the lofi aspect, whether intentional or not, simultaneously makes the game funnier in its goofy moments, and more disturbing in its scarier moments. The low res, low poly graphics definitely make everything more creepy and reinforcing this is other recent titles like Paratopic using the same aesthetic. I think that's also a testament to just how well this game executes in both regards.

One moment you're dealing with gutbusting moments like the intro cutscene, and the next your knee deep in terrifying horror.

There's layers of humor and recurring gags, like York constantly lighting cigarettes, even at the most inappropriate times. One of the better moments of comedy is when the team is discussing the legend of the raincoat killer over dinner at the local diner while York segues into a non sequitur about pissing in skulls, to the dismay his companions. Then there's moments like the first time you enter the museum. There's no nasties or enemies during this segment. There isn't even any music. There's just silence paid with your footsteps as you explore the museum for clues during the night. It feels claustrophobic and desolate and had my eyes wide open during its entirety.

There's other moments, like..

When you go to the sheriff's department after the revelation of who the killer is and you're greeted with... this
EPWcErIUwAAQo_r

The story itself is even a well written Whodunit and I found it pretty insane that the game straight up telegraphs the antagonist but it ends up getting lost in all of the game's aberrations. I think this is also by design and that the game intentionally obfuscates its ending after pretty much showing its hand early on. York's backstory is dripfed to the player and that kept me engrossed with his development while it still maintained an air of mystique until the very end. The story and its use of characters also go in some pretty dark directions that seem pretty personal (child abuse creates monsters and a cycle of violence.

Another aspect of this game I really enjoyed was the open-world structure. It's very reminiscent of Shenmue in that it makes great use of the mundane. Driving or walking around, interacting with the denizens of the town is wonderful and really helped the game demand my attention. Most of them offer some kind of side activity and it really scratched the same itch that game's like Yakuza do. I really felt like I was interacting with something meaningful and not wasting my time or doing busywork.

Overall, I'm amazed at how well Deadly Premonition executes on all fronts. Doing horror and comedy is both extremely difficult in video games and somehow Deadly Premonition is a shining example of both. It's impressive because going too far into either could ruin the other and damage the entire experience and playing Deadly Premonition is like watching a unicycle rider spinning plates over a fire pit on a tight rope.

Performance is still a mixed bag but it's mostly fine other than when driving, which can have framedrops below 20FPS and some occasional crashes (I had about 3)

This game is a masterpiece and I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to play it. I'm also anxiously awaiting the sequel.

EPDioOHX4AMPcxs

Edit: I played the Switch version

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad you loved it OP.

It's wonderful that more people now have the ability to experience this one of a kind game via the recent re-release. Plus we're somehow actually getting a sequel!
It's a great time to be a Deadly Premonition fan.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game when I beat it years ago. Wish there was a higher res/60fps remaster with minor fixes and touch ups on modern consoles.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I totally agree that the way the game pretty much explicitly telegraphs who the perpetrator is is really fascinating and not something i've really seen done before....the entirety of the last act of the game is so insane and over-the-top (especially the final boss) that it's almost hard to believe it's part of the same game as the first half, with its calm pace and slow introduction of characters. I really loved it when I played it last year and can't wait for the sequel.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Is it still busted on PC?

I've been dying to play this, but there doesn't seem to be an optimal way to do so.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it still busted on PC?

I've been dying to play this, but there doesn't seem to be an optimal way to do so.
I beat it on PC years ago. The only problem I remember was having to constantly restart the game after every hour or so because it would start glitching up. These issues might be fixed now.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite enjoying D4 as it was, really wish it was a more polished spiritual successor of this game in how it played.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
My girlfriend is a big Twin Peaks fan and I think she'd enjoy this.

I just remember the combat sequences being incredibly long and tedious when I watched the GB Endurance Run.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Does it hold up well? I want to play it, but the low budget ness is a bit concern.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Does it hold up well? I want to play it, but the low budget ness is a bit concern.
This is the kind of game that didnt "hold up" from day one. The game was released looking like a PS2 game during the 360 era.

You will hate it for what it is, or love it.
I love this game dearly, and since it always looked ancient, it will "hold up" forever to me

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it OP!

The gsme was such a trip. Francis Morgaan is such an amazing protsgonist. The twists (especially the one that changes everything you thought you knew) was amazing.

Glad we are getting a sequel soon.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Maybe I'll have a Sinner's Sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

Glad to hear you had a great time OP! Deadly Premonition is definitely a strange experience and there is a ton to love once one gets past the extremely rough edges. Had a great time replaying this on Switch last year and will probably give it another once the sequel gets a date.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is a big Twin Peaks fan and I think she'd enjoy this.

I just remember the combat sequences being incredibly long and tedious when I watched the GB Endurance Run.
The non-360 versions have somewhat improved controls. Also there are guides that will help you get certain weapons early on that will make combat go much faster.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Been postponing this game since it came out, even if I'm really interested in it.

Gotta force myself to make it the next game I buy :S

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favs. I adore this game. Everything about its design falls into place perfectly and I just love the story/characters.
The story itself is even a well written Whodunit and I found it pretty insane that the game straight up telegraphs the antagonist but it ends up getting lost in all of the game's aberrations. I think this is also by design and that the game intentionally obfuscates its ending after pretty much showing its hand early on.
Definitely, I love that about the game. In fact, if you just go around following people in the world and connecting some dots you can find out some of the big twists on your own

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I played it on PC last year with patches and mods and still had a really hard time with crashes. I'd honestly have done a lot more side missions if I wasn't rushing through the main game because it crashed so often. That being said, it's an incredibly fun game. Glad you enjoyed it, OP. Morgan is such a great character.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I've played a few hours in, and love it but the tediousness of everything has really stopped me from going back to it. it just is not fun to play.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the games charm was the actual performance of the game. Framerate dips and stutters, it was perfect.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game playable on PC yet? I tried it two years ago and it was a fucking mess, couldn't even control it properly and the cars were broken.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I started a little bit the other day and fell in love immediately upon picking up a jar of pickles that just said, "The Pickles" on it

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I really wanted to experience this story but just couldn't get through the gameplay. Power to those who could but any prospective buyers should know there's a LOT of bad to wade through.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I have only five Platinum trophies currently, with Deadly Premonition being among them.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I beat it when it first came out on PC on my laptop but it was definitely a hassle.

Yeah the game was just unbearably small at 720 on my monitor and with the fix, the higher res seemed to break a lot of stuff. Every time I got into a car it would constantly apply the breaking sound which was in of noxious squeal and it would not drive correctly. It also crashed every few minutes

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Switch version for this btw? I have the game on PS3 but haven't played it yet and I'm wondering if its worth it to buy it again for Switch and play it there instead since the sequel will be on Switch.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the game was just unbearably small at 720 on my monitor and with the fix, the higher res seemed to break a lot of stuff. Every time I got into a car it would constantly apply the breaking sound which was in of noxious squeal and it would not drive correctly. It also crashed every few minutes
Yeah, I believe I played it at whatever res it was set and didn't use any fix. I thought perhaps the game was in a better state by now then it was back then.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is absolutely iconic and I'm glad you loved it OP, it's definitely in my top games of the decade.

How is the Switch version for this btw? I have the game on PS3 but haven't played it yet and I'm wondering if its worth it to buy it again for Switch and play it there instead since the sequel will be on Switch.

The PS3 and PC versions seem to be among the worst. The framerate in the PS3 version was just so absolutely unbearable for me, and I've played the three console versions myself.

Switch framerate drops a lot, especially during driving - and I've had 2-3 crashes during separate several hours of play sessions - not that big of a deal saving often. But other than that, it's a super competent version.

Last edited:

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best version?
There is no clearly superior version, they all have caveats. 360 version runs best, but lacks the enhancements from subsequent versions. PS3 has all the content and is pretty stable, but the frame rate dips a lot at points. PC version is buggy and unstable. Switch was supposed to be the ultimate version, but had audio issues and bad performance when you're driving, I don't know if they've patched that. (Switch also lacks the "Director's Cut" content, but that's not really much of a loss.)

I played on the PS3 it went "fine", it's not going to be a smooth experience regardless of platform.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no clearly superior version, they all have caveats. 360 version runs best, but lacks the enhancements from subsequent versions. PS3 has all the content and is pretty stable, but the frame rate dips a lot at points. PC version is buggy and unstable. Switch was supposed to be the ultimate version, but had audio issues and bad performance when you're driving, I don't know if they've patched that. (Switch also lacks the "Director's Cut" content, but that's not really much of a loss.)

I played on the PS3 it went "fine", it's not going to be a smooth experience regardless of platform.
What about playing the 360 version on Xbox One? That's likely the smoothest experience out of all the options.

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it on PS3. I can deal with the PS2-level graphics, but maaaan is the gameplay janky and confusing. I should probably pick it up sometime and just play it with a walkthrough.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Was a crazy, enjoyable ride watching the Giant Bomb endurance run for this. I wouldn't have played it on my own, but now I'm very curious about the sequel.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

It works well most of the time and only big performance issues are frame drops when driving and occasional crashes

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Played the PC version in 2014 or 2015 and didn't had almost no problems with the game.. no crashes, pretty much no bugs.. only the controls were weird, for what I remember