• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
euthbxuxgaax9duisjoh.jpeg

sorry for the long rambling, i don't expect anyone to read the whole thing. the tl;dr is that despite it's flaws the game has immediately become of my most favorite games of all time, and i can't wait for 2.

as a big fan of twin peaks, this game was always in the back of my mind as something i needed to play some day (specially after playing the amazing "the missing") thankfully that opportunity came when the game was released on switch. i wanted a physical copy, and sadly since it's not a big game no one imported it here where i live, which is why i had to place and order myself, which long story short, because of covid19 and whatnot, only got to me a few weeks ago.

i had actually watched a good chunk of the game on youtube years ago (i think until becky's death) and i was already spoiled on who the killer is a long time ago, so the beginning of the game didn't have many surprises for me. still, it just feels like such a special game to play. the graphics aren't the prettiest, and the gameplay is very janky and there's a lot of bugs (the game crashed like 7 or 8 times for me in 35 hours, only switch game i've ever seen crash), but somehow the story, characters, music, and atmosphere clicked with me in a way that i was able to overlook all of its problems.

i'm very thankful for is the guides in the OT and the amazing guides by Chemi_ro on her website. it can't be denied, the game can be super frustrating and annoying if you don't follow at least some general tips. there are a lot of recent playthroughs on youtube who are going through the game with no fast travel and only using the first gun, and that makes the game such a chore to play. but using the guides, it becomes a much more easy game (i pretty much beat all the regular enemies with the wrench, lol).

one thing that really impressed me about the game was the side quests. again this is something that many people seem to just ignore and just play the main quest line, but there's so much character development (and a shocking amount of voice acting) in these side quests. at the start of chapter 9, i decided it's a good time to do as many side quests as possible and then go on with the rest of the game. it took me about 4 days to finish all the side quests that were available up to that point, and i had a blast finishing them. there are some frustrating things about the side quests tho, some required rain, which just wasn't happening so i had to go back to chapter 2 to do them (in which rain is very frequent). here the game started crashing often for me (one time losing about an hour of progress), so i had to finish the chapter after each side quest (you can't save when playing an old chapter). another good chapter to go back to for side quests was 7, both chapters are very shots.

trading cards where also pretty fun to collect, although i looked up most of them :) card #65 was a nice touch.

the hunger/tiredness system was... fine. only a small annoyance most of the time. using cigarettes to pass the time is another thing that the game doesn't really tell you and it can be very annoying at times if you don't use them.

the music is just excellent. it does reuse some tracks too much, but they're excellent anyway and really help make those moments special. with 2 having a new composer i'm curious to see what the music is going to be like, but knowing the composer's excellent work from hotel dusk/last window, i'm optimistic.

as for the story, this is legit one of my favorite stories i've ever experienced in a video game. so engaging, very well written, and bizarre in the best way possible. the story begins in a shockingly similar way to twin peaks, but quickly finds its own style and identity.

the game is filled with moments that are just... overwhelming in their sadness, beauty or fuckedupness. there's a few moments that i just had to pause and take a breath, and some moments that i'm sure will be stuck with me forever. the most beautiful moment for me was when york is following the ghost of anna in the rain. i don't know why but that moment was incredibly beautiful in a way words can't really describe. another moment that really stuck with me was carole's death, specially the part when she gets up and starts describing the wooden sculpture with her tongue cut off.

the game does an excellent job at handing a pretty large cast of characters. most of them are great, and you start to care about them after encountering them a few times (the side quests really help too, as i said). the characters' names all starting with a different letter of the alphabet was something i didn't notice until the credits, which made me fill quite dumb...

the boss fights are just bad, and felt really unnecessary. probably my least favorite part of the game.

overlooking the gameplay, i think the game has aged pretty well. i could totally see a game with the same story being released in 2020. there are some unfortunate things tho that kinda show the game's age, one being some sexist remarks some characters make, the other being the use of the psycho cross-dresser stereotype for thomas. i don't think the intent behind those is malicious tho, and specially seeing how swery handled the story and characters of "the missing" i'm hoping there won't be stuff like that in the sequel.

the ending of the game was really beautiful and well done. it was emotionally satisfying and i think wrapped up the whole adventure very well. i'm a little unclear on some minor things still, but nothing youtube and google won't be able to answer tomorrow. i'm happy deadly premonition 2 is both a sequel and a prequel, so we can spend more time with york, as well as see what happens with zach.

that's pretty much it. i'm curious to read what other people's experience with the game was, favorite moments and characters, hopes and expectations for the sequel, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad you enjoyed it OP. It's usually my answer for my #1 favorite game.
Still haven't gone through Origins on Switch yet, it's been years so I'm pretty stoked for the revisit.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they've patched some audio bugs, but there are still big frame drops when driving, and the game sometimes crashes.
That's a shame. I wanted to replay it but I saw a reddit thread listing a bunch of bugs so I was waiting to see if they fixed it.

Still though it's great to see DP on the Switch, it truly deserves to be played by more people imo. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it.

This game is really special. I went into it expecting to laugh at it but no, I was legit invested in it. The characters, the story, the atmosphere, the music. All of that was really great and I loved it. One of my favourite plot twists in the game (other than the York one) was the red coat killer flashback. It was really cool how it dawned on me that things weren't as they sounded like.

The thing that made me even more interested in the Switch was the fact a sequel was on the way for it. I am really excited to dive back into this world and go on a wild ride with Francis Morgan once again.

That final ride with York and Zach though. Tears were shed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite plot twists in the game (other than the York one) was the red coat killer flashback. It was really cool how it dawned on me that things weren't as they sounded like.
i really like the flashbacks, and the chapter where you're playing as the raincoat killer was really well done.
playing as emily for a bit was fun too.

one thing i didn't mention in the OP is, i really liked the structure of the game, separating it into many short chapters. it's good both for replaying specific parts, and to make the game seem like a tv show.

edit: another thing i forgot, the conversations between york and zach (or york with emily/george) while driving were also one of my favorite things about the game.

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
One of the most mesmerizing game i have ever played and definitly not a "so bad, it's good"
The setting, the characters, the open world, the investigation, everything is top notch, except the TPS sections

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the authentic Deadly Premonition experience.
That's the thing though, every subsequent console version after the original seem to get progressively worse.

I found the reddit thread I was talking about and there seems to be even more issues than the already problematic Director's Cut.

Though again, game is fantastic and should be experienced even with these caveats.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some of my screenshots (handled mode)

2020031923522200-bb39qdjmx.jpg

2020032514360700-bb39s8jym.jpg

2020032514385300-bb39ikksu.jpg

2020032514243300-bb398yj21.jpg

Ah, the authentic Deadly Premonition experience.
there must be something really wrong with the code that they just can't be bothered to fix, no reason a game looking like this shouldn't be running at a stable frame rate.

definitly not a "so bad, it's good"
agreed. i keep reading people say that, but it doesn't apply to this game at all imo.

Oct 27, 2017
i really like the flashbacks, and the chapter where you're playing as the raincoat killer was really well done.
playing as emily for a bit was fun too.

one thing i didn't mention in the OP is, i really liked the structure of the game, separating it into many short chapters. it's good both for replaying specific parts, and to make the game seem like a tv show.

edit: another thing i forgot, the conversations between york and zach (or york with emily/george) while driving were also one of my favorite things about the game.
Agreed.

Also the driving conversations were really cool. It was a cool way to expand on the characters. Glad that feature is returning in the sequel.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I've been wanting this game for years and I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan. You might've convinced me.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition I bought back in March of 2010. I literally knew nothing about it, I was visiting my grandmother and was out with her and an uncle who went to Best Buy to get a new printer. While there I did eye the game section, and there were several copies of Deadly Premonition on the shelves. The box art intrigued me enough, and it was only $20, so I picked it up to play later.

It's really hard to describe what it was like back in early 2010 going into Deadly Premonition knowing little about it and the way it absolutely absorbed me. I think the reputation it gets of "So bad it's good," is not quite right, though parts of the game very much are that. It's by a pure gameplay perspective not very good, and there's a lot of low-budget aspects to it in nearly every department. However, there is very few games that have the charm, and as cheesy as it sounds, "Heart" of Deadly Premonition. Its story and characters and legitimately endearing and the experience it leaves you with is both a very unique one. The game somehow manages to be both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time. More than that though, Deadly Premonition more than almost any game I've played got me super invested into its characters and actually really care about what was going on in the game's absurd story. Even 10 years later (wow it has been 10 years to the month now) I still remember the game fondly, and it's definitely up there as one of my favorite experience and blind purchases I've ever made on a game.

I'm extremely excited for the sequel. Since Deadly Premonition, Swery has shown me he's not a one-hit wonder. I really enjoyed D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die and THE MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. While I haven't played Spy Fiction quite yet, he's 3/3 for me right now. I'm really looking forward to Deadly Premonition 2 and The Good Life, though I will admit with my avid love of the original I can't help but be more excited for the sequel at this point in time. It's one of my most anticipated games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played it on my laptop years ago and remember really enjoying the characters and story. Sadly, I don't recall doing many side missions so likely missed out on a lot of character development, as you put it. Really wish there was a remaster that cleaned everything up as best it could with a locked framerate and stable performance.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
'm very thankful for is the guides in the OT and the amazing guides by @Chemi_ro on her website. it can't be denied, the game can be super frustrating and annoying if you don't follow at least some general tips. there are a lot of recent playthroughs on youtube who are going through the game with no fast travel and only using the first gun, and that makes the game such a chore to play. but using the guides, it becomes a much more easy game (i pretty much beat all the regular enemies with the wrench, lol).

I'm so happy my site and guides were useful during your trip to Greenvale! I can't imagine going through the game with just the FBI gun...especially with the final boss and Crawling Shadows if you are playing on 360. What a pain!

that's pretty much it. i'm curious to read what other people's experience with the game was, favorite moments and characters, hopes and expectations for the sequel, etc.

Man I still can't believe it's been a decade already and I'm loving all the love the game has been getting lately since people are picking up the game again thanks to the Switch port and the sequel announcement. I used to think I was the only one who didn't love the game ironically I'm so glad to see that I'm wrong and that there's others out there that believe it's more than just a "so bad it's good" game. For me it's good because the story kicks ass, the characters are memorable, and it's one of the most detailed games I've ever played.

Deadly Premonition may not be much to look and has some questionable and downright janky game play mechanics at times but its the only game I've been able to put hundreds of hours into and still come across something I hadn't before every time I play. Whether it's a conversation, new peeping scene, or just a detail I never noticed in the environments.

I think what floored me the most was that the development team thought to not only make alternate cut scenes base on if you were on time to a mission marker vs late but also gave you a different conversation if you never reached the destination as well. I was so dang surprised when I learned that
Zach had different reactions to some of the Side Missions if you started/completed them in Chapter 26 versus if you started or completed them as York during the game. Zach is softer and sometimes even a bit childish!

The amount of stuff players never see because they only focus on the main mission is mind boggling. I couldn't believe how much I was able to learn about the MacLaine siblings just by going out of my way to talk with them every chance I got on both clear and rainy days. Or the number of ways the game hints at the killer...it's clear Swery thought his story line through to the point where some of the big reveals are actually things you can witness in game if take the time to investigate the characters by talking with them and peeping into their homes. My opinion on Carol
completely changed after learning more about her and witnessing her crying over her friends and flipping out in her apartment.

My biggest hope for the sequel is that it's a good game and that I would love to see some of Greevale's characters in the new art style whether it's in a flashback or maybe a story recap. I also really hope we will learn more about
Willie and Kaysen. Did Willie find another agent to look over after Kaysen's death? Is the Red Tree still a threat 13 years later?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
It's really hard to describe what it was like back in early 2010 going into Deadly Premonition knowing little about it and the way it absolutely absorbed me. I think the reputation it gets of "So bad it's good," is not quite right, though parts of the game very much are that. It's by a pure gameplay perspective not very good, and there's a lot of low-budget aspects to it in nearly every department. However, there is very few games that have the charm, and as cheesy as it sounds, "Heart" of Deadly Premonition. Its story and characters and legitimately endearing and the experience it leaves you with is both a very unique one. The game somehow manages to be both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time. More than that though, Deadly Premonition more than almost any game I've played got me super invested into its characters and actually really care about what was going on in the game's absurd story. Even 10 years later (wow it has been 10 years to the month now) I still remember the game fondly, and it's definitely up there as one of my favorite experience and blind purchases I've ever made on a game...

this's an extremely rare, &, for me, a highly valued quality, that very few games possess. another favorite of mine that pulls this off is l.a. noire...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I better off playing this on Switch or PC?
from what i've read the PC port has better performance but is more prone to crashing. there's a fix out there but it doesn't work for everyone. the switch version crashes too, but not as often.

I've been wanting this game for years and I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan. You might've convinced me.
you're gonna love it. the first few hours are super similar to twin peaks, and for the rest of the game investigating a murder in a small town with interesting town people feels very satisfying as a twin peaks fan, it's like you're being your own special agent Dale Cooper.

I think the reputation it gets of "So bad it's good," is not quite right, though parts of the game very much are that. It's by a pure gameplay perspective not very good, and there's a lot of low-budget aspects to it in nearly every department. However, there is very few games that have the charm, and as cheesy as it sounds, "Heart" of Deadly Premonition. Its story and characters and legitimately endearing and the experience it leaves you with is both a very unique one. The game somehow manages to be both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time. More than that though, Deadly Premonition more than almost any game I've played got me super invested into its characters and actually really care about what was going on in the game's absurd story.
very well said, i feel exactly the same.

I also love this one ☺

love that one too.

I'm so happy my site and guides were useful during your trip to Greenvale! I can't imagine going through the game with just the FBI gun...especially with the final boss and Crawling Shadows if you are playing on 360. What a pain!
gonna spend today watching some of the videos you've done on youtube (what else is there to do on lockdown, lol), excited for the long story breakdown. i have a feeling there's a lot i missed on my first playthrough.

also gonna watch the extra cutscenes from the director's cut version.

edit: and now that i'm done i can listen to the podcast as well, just saw the 2nd episode is out!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
spent the past two days reading and watching videos about the game. there's so much that i missed in my playthrough, specially in optional conversations and peeping into windows.
and after watching the extra cutscenes for the director's cut... damn. talk about pointless. and way to ruin a perfect ending.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
spent the past two days reading and watching videos about the game. there's so much that i missed in my playthrough, specially in optional conversations and peeping into windows.
and after watching the extra cutscenes for the director's cut... damn. talk about pointless. and way to ruin a perfect ending.

Glad you liked the videos :D Yeah the Director's Cut cutscenes were so pointless. I was so excited when they were announced...it was such a let down. I'm still amazed at how much remains unseen by most players though. It's such a same that the best bits for me are always things I've caught by chance while peeping or talking to people and ignoring the main mission for days on end haha. I really hope all my various videos will inspire others to replay and see what they can find!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I'm happy about this Zach. We should celebrate this with a movie. Lets delve in Spielbergs earlier works. You always lighten up when we discuss those.