• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
Dead Space is ... amazing

EnN3RA8XEAAY2Mt

NOTE: I'm currently play Dead Space 3, I'm around 20% don't spoiler please

I have all on Origin (PC) but when they was released I was more for FPS games, so I picked them in sale but I never played it. After that Microsoft added EA Play to the Game Pass, I saied why not. I played (and I'm playing Dead Space 3) all on Xbox One Series S.

Wow, I'm very enjoing this IP. The improvement between Dead Space and Dead Space 3 is amazing, they don't seem games from the same generation

EtuwbzgWQAInENg

While Dead Space 2 is a more of the same of Dead Space, in Dead Space 3 Visceral changed a lot of game dynamic. The story is really canonical but it works, to be honest on thing that I don't like from Dead Space 1 is the fact that it's a game of the brown era, a space ship full of mud :D.

In any case Dead Space 2 and 3 are aged very well (less the first one). If you didn't play them (like me lol) I can only recommend to play them.

Did you like this IP?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I actually still haven't played Dead Space 3 because I was pissy at the perceived 'trend chasing' when I read about some of the changes. Time to get over that, I'm sure there's another pretty fun game in there.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw it's on Steam! For some reason I thought only 1 and 2 were released on PC.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing 3 at the moment and I really don't think it's very good, the space sections are boring, the characters are all assholes including Isaac and the enemies are too quick for the game's sluggish combat. It's been said a million times but universal ammo is a horrible design

I loved the first two

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I love Dead Space, the trilogy and Extraction are great games.
Never played the android game tho, even the comics, books and movies were entertaining.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 2 is one of the best action-horror games since RE4 (maybe the best since?). Tons of variety, insane production values, awesome pacing. Just good stuff all around.

the first one didn't actually do much for me. It was super repetitive structurally and it was too linear and combat focused to be a good survival horror game but too lacking in variety to be a good action horror.

haven't played the third.

derk

Dec 20, 2019
I loved DS1 when I played it years ago. Never played DS2 and only played half of DS3. I've been meaning to go back and start again from 2.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The main story in DS3 is shit but the game itself is good. Just a few too many action bits though and some repetitive sidemissions. The co-op part is interesting in how it does different things depending on who you are playing but co-op removes all the horror tension unfortunately.

May 25, 2019
London
Was a huge fan of the first two but 3 really let me down. The combination of universal ammo and the auto-save system really didn't click with me. I really like methodically upgrading my weapons in the first two and saving ammo for my better guns for key moments. Also, having to shoot human enemies in 3 felt really weird and strange. Dead Space 3 is like the perfect microcosm of EA influencing developer's designs back in that time period.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I loved DS1 and DS2, DS3 just didn't capture me based on how it's development and game play changed.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn i did not feel at all that DS2 was more of the same. It was much faster, with a very different structure, and without any of the ponderous heavy walking of the first.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I couldn't bring myself to buy the third game. But I liked DS and DS2, despite not really enjoying horror games.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved 1. One of my favorite games ever.

2 was great but I didn't like it as much as 1 overall. Also the multiplayer tacked on was just awful.

I simply refuse to play 3.

OP
OP
yrcmlived

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
I'm playing 3 at the moment and I really don't think it's very good, the space sections are boring, the characters are all assholes including Isaac and the enemies are too quick for the game's sluggish combat. It's been said a million times but universal ammo is a horrible design

I loved the first two

In Dead Space 3, in terms of gameplay, they added some things that I don't like too. But I didn't not see all. I'm finding that they did complicate to much the arms power up for example. I don't like the universal ammo too and some new PG movements

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
Loved the first two and just bought 3 on sale on pc. This thread has me excited to start. I know DS3 got a lot of hate at the time because of the mp and more action focus that tps horror games were doing at the time but i look forward to comparing/contrasting how it's changed from the first two that I beat a decade ago.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the consensus of 1 being good, 2 being great, while 3 is just ok stands up. I could not put down the first two while the third was a slog, even in multiplayer.

Shout out to Extraction for being a great lightgun shooter.

Oct 27, 2017
Shame the pc port of 1 sounds kinda busted on pc gaming wiki. I wonder how it is in rpcs3.

I've been wanting to play this series myself

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
1 is the best one, 2 was good but I didn't like the change into a more over the top type of cinematic action game. 3 should be erased from history.

Extraction was great too, such a shame 3 went so badly wrong.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
It goes without saying we need a remaster trilogy. I loved to see it ported over to Unreal or Frostbite.

OP
OP
yrcmlived

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
It goes without saying we need a remaster trilogy. I loved to see it ported over to Unreal or Frostbite.

Yess. Or a full remake with a new chapter.

Speeking about Dead Space 3, as I said too it's different from the two previous chapters, but to be honest I don't think it is a bad game. I need to finish it before but for the moment it's fine. In terms of graphic it's a step ahead

Oct 30, 2017
Dead Space 2 is the RE2 of the seventh generation.

The quality of it is roof high, only recent Resident Evil Remakes hit that level for me.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I adore this IP and its death has really bummed me out. Dead Space 2 is a top 10 game ever in my eyes. Giving Isaac a voice in 2 instantly made it better than 1.

Dead Space 3 while more action focused is one of the best co-op games of all time. The weapon crafting is also incredibly fun to play around with.

Make sure you play the Dead Space 3 DLC as well once you finish the game. Its essential to the overall story.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Love those first 2. Will never touch 3rd. EA were too nitpicky with it's design and it shows.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With Mass Effect Trilogy getting a proper remaster, if it sells well I'm sincerely hoping EA gives the same treatment to the Dead Space series. They're horror classics.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I love Dead Space 1 & 2. Amazing games. DS1 is a great horror game, and DS2 is a great action horror game. Didn't finish DS3. Didn't care for it.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Dead Space: Downfall animation too. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it was a good animation with some amazing scenes and interesting characters.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing DS3 since it was in Game Pass but wasn't as bad as I thought (still in the beginng sections though). Feels like Dead Space 2 kinda right now but I did hear it get a bit worse especially regarding weapon upgrades and stuff.

I should probably replay the first two games eventually. I best DS1 several times but not 2. I also like the mobile game but it seems to have been removed from the Play Store

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Dead Space 1 was a fantastic experience, one of my favourites from that gen. Great, Event Horizon style horror with some pretty fun lore to explore if you care about that sort of thing. Dead Space 2 wasn't really my thing because I prefer the claustrophobic, cramped feeling of the first one but I do recognise that it's an excellent game as well. Should really replay it one of these days.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I tried to get into 1 a few times. Was always fun but the PC controlls were putting me off and there is no controller support.
Also I felt a bit lost sometimes when playing because I didnt know where to go when using all the elevators.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
1&2 both amazing. Space Horror is my JAM. Speaking of, If anyone is looking for some of that atmosphere, Play Observation Next. It's on Gamepass.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Dead space 1 was, and is, one of the greatest games i ever played.
A fully in the game world integrated HUD, a perfect horror setting on an industrial space ship and really fun dismemberment shooting mechanic.
I would say it is a reference title in the action horror genre.

Dead space 2 was also good, but already made me miss the loneliness and horror. I also missed the weapon specific ammunation from 1, it was a great feeling to find some ammunation for your best weapon, and have to choose between weapons because of sparse ammo.

I heard Dead space 3 is a great co-op game, can't say anything about that personally.

Great to hear that you enjoy the series...

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Dead Space with hdr, all the lightning etc today would look awesome.

I enjoyed all 3. The last entry did have alot of mtx creep. It also learned more into action the coop was half baked into the story.

Stay calm. Stomp on.

Oct 29, 2017
Dead Space 1 and 2 are a couple of the best games of that gen. Different flavors, and I preferred 1, but you can't go wrong with either.

3 wasn't an awful game, just... not as special.

Also I just randomly recalled that Dead Space 3 is one of the several games, along with Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning and Anthem, where you can cosplay as Commander Shepard outside the Mass Effect series. :)

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Dead Space 3 was alright, not true horror but it did move the story forward, shame that Dead Space 4 is put on ice, one of the developers said they planned on making it more open world.

A larger infested space ship or space station where you can go back and forth with no checkpoints or locked doors would've been great.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
They are all equally good. The hate for 3 is slightly understandable, but it's it's a fantastic game, even if different

Draenoth

Dec 10, 2018
I love this series, and while it looks good on PC I would love a remaster in the vein of ME:Legacy. Shame that Visceral is no more, and EA basically shelved this series. If you have a chance, play the co-op as the second player in DS3, there are some really cool moments that you won't see otherwise.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a trilogy remaster I'd pick up. 1 & 2 are great, with 2 doing everything I enjoy about part 1 but better.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
I wouldn't mind a remaster too, with graphical upgrades and all, but knowing how it ends, it's just begging for a 4th installment.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Seeing as I always kinda saw Dead Space as a shooter against the warglbargle space zombies rather than a horror game (to me, the whole presentation of the series is too damn power metal for it to be actually scary), it was my favorite series from that generation. 3 is the weakest, but it still was a terrific play, in my opinion.

Shame its dead, but I have high hopes for Callisto Protocol.

Personally, I don't think it needs a remaster or remake. Itlooks and plays perfectly fine now. Though if one came out, I'd probably get it.

Edit: Honestly, if they were to remake them, pretty much the only thing that I can think of is (a) remaking the Zero G controls in 1to be more like the later games, and (b) just having Gunnar Wright record dialogue for 1 so we don't have mime Isaac suddenly learn to talk.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to Extraction for being a great lightgun shooter.
This entry doesn't get nearly enough love. 1 is a stone cold classic. 2 is great, with a slightly different flavor. 3 is... uh, very YMMV. But Extraction showed that this series could be something wildly unique across genre. It's really a shame that EA hasn't revisited this series in any capacity. The right revamp/remaster (ie. something that isn't expected to be a AAAA, billion $$$ seller) would do very well.