• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
When I got my 3DS in late 2011, one of my first games was Dead or Alive Dimensions, my introduction to the series that always called my attention but at the time I couldn't play because I didn't own an Xbox console, and to this day is one of my most played games on the console and I consider it a highlight on the 3DS library in many ways, especially considering there are not too many fighting games on the system so it's pretty unique, with it's other 2 main competition being Smash 4 and Street Fighter 4, both really different games to it.

First I have to say that despite being a really early 3DS game it's one of the best looking games on the system, the character models look great and are really well animated, the stages are really well done and as usual for the series have multiple transition with no loading times, there are some great lighting effects and all runs at a perfect 60fps, honestly I think this is easily alongside stuff like RE: Revelations or Kid Icarus Uprising as just fantastic looking games on the system. Unfortunately there is a downside and is that despite the 3D effect that gives the game it's name being pretty solid, it makes the game run at 30fps, so it ends up being just a novelty.

The gameplay is great, very similar to what was seen from DOA 2 to 4 and it's greatly addapted to the 3DS, it's fast, responsive and very dynamic thanks to the constant change in the stages, plus you get the largest roster in the series up to that point with every single character playable in the fighting game entries including the 4 bosses (except the female Mater Chief from DOA 4 but apparently it's gameplay was somewhat addapted for the character Genra), and for the first and only time you can play as Kasumi and Hayate's Father, Shiren as a secret character, which is just a Hayate clon, but still a pretty cool addition. Now, I don't know how competitive or balanced this game is sadly.

The game also has a lot of modes, with a very complete survival mode, a limited but still decent tag battle mode, 1vs1, tons of well made colletables and a chronicle mode that makes us play as the NInjas from the series and Helena to the story modes of the 4 first entries in the series, which was pretty decent overall. The game also has a lot of stages for you to enjoy, among them one based on Metroid Other M with Ridley as a stage hazzard and you can even make Samus appear if you blow up the mic. Is a shame she wasn't a playable character since they did get a female master chief for Dead or Alive 4 as I said before.

For negatives, the online sucked, or at least every time I played it there was plenty of lag, not surprising considering the console, and also while the story mode is decently fun I wasn't a fan of some of the changes they made, mainly that in the original DOA 1 and 3 it was stablished that Kasumi and Ayane killed Raidou and Genra respectively by themselves, but here it says that they needed to get help from Ryu Hayabusa to a degree, which is honestly BS, and speaking of Hayabusa he is some big time Gary Stu in this game, not losing any battle, the ones he does is shown that he was joking in the next cutscene and is shown to be the one who Killed Tengu in DOA 2, which previously was unknown and I hate the part where he slaps Kausmi, like, why didn't they fight, how did he stop a top fighter like Kasumi with a slap?.

Despite those negative points, DOAD is a great game for the 3DS that has excellent graphics, great gameplay, a lot of characters and stages and a solid number of modes and unlockables. It's easily the best 3D fighter on the console since Tekken 3D sucked, but I'd say is right next to Smash 3DS as my personal favorite for it, and if you want a change of pace from the endless number of JRPG's and platformers on the console, this is a great recommendation.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I really enjoyed this back when I picked it up. Was solid all-around and the story mode was a lot more than I would've expected at the time.
It is a little to funny to think that had the title let Samus be playable (instead of just a stage assist). The title would likely have been a lot more remembered.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Great post. Is the story mode an amalgamation of the first 4 games, or all of them included? I actually own this and always wanted to try it out someday. I feel like DOA 2 - to 4 were genuinely great fighting games with decent stories/character interactions, before 5 onwards just embraced the titillation part of the package far more.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
It's a crying shame that this game and its amazing roster of characters and stages is stuck on 3DS.

DOA3:U would be a much safer bet than DOA7 at this point. Please Shimbori, just do it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Really loved this game around launch - and blows my mind how much better it looks than 99% of games on the system.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Great game...just wish the AI wasn't so stupidly easy to beat even on the highest difficulty. Dead or Alive games usually have challenging AI.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird how it never got a digital version. I'd have gotten it if it had been added to the eshop.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird how it never got a digital version. I'd have gotten it if it had been added to the eshop.
I think any game launched before the first eShop title(NSMB2 IIRC) isn't available digitally. That includes a lot of these great early 3DS titles like KH, RE, Tekken, DoA, etc. Unless they added afterwards.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I had a bit of obsession with 3ds fighting games at a point. I'd probably rank this 1st with SFIV 2nd, and Tekken 3D 3rd.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think any game launched before the first eShop title(NSMB2 IIRC) isn't available digitally. That includes a lot of these great early 3DS titles like KH, RE, Tekken, DoA, etc. Unless they added afterwards.
Resident Evil was added to the eShop. Same with Super Street Fighter IV.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I remember liking this back when I first got my 3DS. Even the 3D effect was really neat with the pop-out effects, but the loss of framerate was too high to use it much.

I never liked playing fighting games on the 3DS though, it's not comfortable, so never saw the cool story mode all the way through.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
DoA was my second 3DS game (Pilot Wings being the first). I really enjoyed it, but not as much as 2 on the PS2 and 3 on Xbox. It was a good game that filled the gap until OoT3D released.

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
Interesting... I loved this series through DOA 3 but stopped following it then. The video in OP definitely reminds me of DOA 2: Hardcore. Maybe I'll try to track down a used copy.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I remember playing through this, so I could get through the Story in prep for DOA5.

Then DOA5 came out and I kinda forgot to actually continue the series, lol

From what I played, I enjoyed it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The game isn't too bad price wise on eBay. Cartridge only copies are going for around $30. And if you're all digital on 3DS, you can just leave the cartridge in the slot.

The game really was impressive for a 3DS game, and it played so well too. If you have a grip for the 3DS, it makes playing the game so much better.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It's my favorite DOA. Right combination of 2-4.
So same. Got this when it was released and thought it was great along with Street Fighter. This entry has everything I could want in a DoA. Personally they were downhill from here even if I had fun with 5 and some of 6. The 3d in this is good as well, enough that I don't even mind going through some matches with the frame rate drop, like watching little action figures fight. I could get rid of the Xbox but I'll have my 3ds for this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Dimensions is a fantastic DOA, portable or no. The story mode is a really well-done recap of DOA 1-4 and the gameplay is really solid as well. I'm glad I picked it up, an din the end, it ended up being my favorite traditional fighting game on the 3DS

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
That was still when Team Ninja was at the very top of their graphics game on whatever platform they released a game. Look how mediocre every current game by them looks. :/
Yeah, there was a time when Team Ninja games were consistent graphical showcases but that seemed to stop being the case a while ago. I know nothing about Team Ninja. I wonder what happened? Did they struggle with the transition to HD?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there was a time when Team Ninja games were consistent graphical showcases but that seemed to stop being the case a while ago. I know nothing about Team Ninja. I wonder what happened? Did they struggle with the transition to HD?
The studio, when it was first formed under the Team Ninja banner, was headed by Tomonobu Itagaki. Itagaki left Tecmo after a dispute regarding allegedly unpaid bonuses right after Ninja Gaiden II shipped on the 360, and co-founded Valhalla Game Studios, where a number of Team Ninja staff joined him. Those that stayed on continued as Team Ninja under producer Yosuke Hayashi (who had previously led development of Team Ninja's NInja Gaiden Sigma). Team Ninja had some rough spots for a while, developing Other M (which they convinced Yoshio Sakamoto to make a 3D game despite his initial desire for it to be 2.5D) and Ninja Gaiden 3 (which was a significant downturn after Ninja Gaiden 1&2), but have straightened out in the past few years in particular by focusing on Nioh and Nioh 2, while also helping co-develop titles like the original Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The studio, when it was first formed under the Team Ninja banner, was headed by Tomonobu Itagaki. Itagaki left Tecmo after a dispute regarding allegedly unpaid bonuses right after Ninja Gaiden II shipped on the 360, and co-founded Valhalla Game Studios, where a number of Team Ninja staff joined him. Those that stayed on continued as Team Ninja under producer Yosuke Hayashi (who had previously led development of Team Ninja's NInja Gaiden Sigma). Team Ninja had some rough spots for a while, developing Other M (which they convinced Yoshio Sakamoto to make a 3D game despite his initial desire for it to be 2.5D) and Ninja Gaiden 3 (which was a significant downturn after Ninja Gaiden 1&2), but have straightened out in the past few years in particular by focusing on Nioh and Nioh 2, while also helping co-develop titles like the original Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors.
Thanks for the info. I remember being so excited with the Other M reveal trailer and Team Ninja developing the game. In some ways that game looks great on Wii, with some trademark Team Ninja flash, but the art direction was pretty bland.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I really enjoyed it and thought it was a beefy packaged game especially compared with the early 3DS library. Although as someone who never followed the DoA story, that story mode was whack as shit and just a series of "WTF is happening here" to folks like me with no prior story knowledge lol.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I have always been interested in Ridge Racer 3D since is one of the very few racing games for the console that was somewhat well recieved but it was never added to the eshop and the game is really rare, at least where I live I have never seen it on stores since 2011

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
They weirdly went all in on the English voice work for this one. Darren Criss (pre-Glee) is also in it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I would call it must-play as it's pretty similar to other DOA games but it's worth playing for sure.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have it and it's great! It was my first 3DS game, I think, since it released around the launch window and I had no interest in Nintendo's launch titles. It's also the first DOA game I've owned.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
First game I bought and it was excellent. Put like 80 hours into iirc.

The Metroid stage was incredible.

Kind of annoyed they didn't even attempt to port one to Switch, but tbh that's not an exclusively DoA issue. Idk why all these fighting franchises decided to completely skip portables this time around. So odd that of all the franchises, MK, a western one is one of the few that got a high effort port to a Nintendo platform and isn't an anime game.

Jun 2, 2019
Third game i purchased for the console, they even made a Spot pass distribution for some costumes that lasted around a year or so before they fully stopped it.

Got almost 100 hours out of it, to the point where i enjoyed it more than SSFIV3D

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I started collecting for the 3DS a few months ago and Dead or Alive: Dimensions was something I wanted again. I played it at launch and it was one of my favorite games. It's exactly the best mix of DoA 2-4. In many ways, it did DoA better than the later releases in 5 and 6. I love 5, but there are aspects in Dimensions that make it more accessible and fun to play in short sessions, which is perfect for the handheld.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Always wanted to get a copy of this game. Thought the graphics were insane back then (and I guess they still are, but probably look much better on an emulator).

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
It was a lot of fun. I bought the 3ds just to play it. And I didnt regret it.
The timed dlc was bad though. Everyone got an extra costume, but only during a certain timeframe and then you couldnt ever get it again. Pretty strange decision.