• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The intro of the game is Deacon at his darkest spot so I can see people not liking him at the start. He does have a character developement so don't expect him to be the same throughout the whole game. He is much deeper than that.

Personally I liked him from the start. Sam Witwer did an amazing job acting as him. His rants and and yelling was really funny and fresh compared to most main characters in games.
I would really like to them to expand camp recruitment and building in the sequel. The best example I can think of is something like Digimon World PS1 where you set off and defeat Digimon and after doing so they comeback and build a building in your town like a hospital a restraunt a merchant etc. Imagine that in a game like this just watching your camp just grow over time as you recruit new people you get access to advanced gear and items it would be sick.
Agreed.

It also makes sense knowing how the ending of the game is and how Deacon character developed.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It looks and plays like a next gen game. It is quite shocking playing on a PS5 on a 4k TV compared to 1080 TV with a base PS4.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
... apparently it sold super well too.. but unfortunately it seems a sequel might not be coming? With the Game Director moving on and the Story writer revealing recently he hadnt been at the studio for over a year now. I do hope the story is continued.
Can we not do this typical Era thing were we make up rumors and later assume it's true and actually a fact?
Bend Studio developers liked tweets where fans asked 'is the Days Gone IP okay' and 'I hope Days Gone 2 is in development'. Everything points towards more Days Gone. Great sales, a huge fanbase on social media, and it being made and planned as a big franchise;
If you have to bet, bet on Days Gone 2.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded it with the playstation plus collection on PS5. I'm very early, Manny has just given me a bike and Copeland has asked I get rid of some dudes for him.

I like it enough so far, I knew going in the first few hours weren't really representative of the game so I'm on board with the slow start.

OP
OP
Nateo

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not do this typical Era thing were we make up rumors and later assume it's true and actually a fact?
Bend Studio developers liked tweets where fans asked 'is the Days Gone IP okay' and 'I hope Days Gone 2 is in development'. Everything points towards more Days Gone. Great sales, a huge fanbase on social media, and it being made and planned as a big franchise;
If you have to bet, bet on Days Gone 2.
I mean I only just read that the two people who headed the game left and the write left not long after project completed even though he was excited to be able to tell the next chapter. I didnt make up any rumors btw Im just making an assumption based off the two devs who said it was their "baby project" are just gone.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Game didn't lean into the survival elements enough, so they were just there enough to be an annoyance, but not enough to be a worthwhile game mechanic.

Fuel for the bike for example, it drains just fast enough that you'll refuel everytime you pass a petrol station, or pick up a fuel can to use every few Checkpoints, but you're never at risk of running empty, getting stranded and being at risk. So it ends up nothing but a tedious thing.

That's the opposite of my experience so far. It's turning out to be the zombie survival simulator I always wanted.

Ran out of fuel for the first time last night. Was just coming out of a tunnel driving downhill when it happened. Managed to coast for a bit but eventually had to dump it and run as I was being chased. Ended up having to walk all the way to a camp as I couldn't find fuel anywhere. 50 bucks to have your bike collected was a bargain.

Really like the quick save system. Just stand by your bike and hold triangle.

I feel pretty vulnerable in the game so if I've to drive over 2km to a new area, I'll make sure I've full everything before departing and scavenge along the way.

Pretty cool that you can walk the bike to stealth move it.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
I loved it. The beginning is hit and miss but it really comes into its own.

The characters, the world - they all came together really well and the game is genuinely fun to play as well. I played and finished Days Gone just before I started to play Red Dead 2 and the difference from a gameplay perspective is amazing.

It got a lot of negative press I believe from certain groups, (Lines like 'Ride me like your bike' - out of context - probably doesn't help) but for anyone who actually played the game, played the story, explored the world and took it all in, everything was really well done. The hordes still get your blood pumping when they are running towards you, and the snowy areas actually made me shiver they were so well done.

Great game.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I've also come around a bit to the overly bright dark areas. I use the torch and headlight now not because I need it but because the effect is so good. Guess that's the HDR putting in the work.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
A replay of this in glorious 60 FPS will be in order as soon as I secure a PS5.

So 2023, then.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded it with the playstation plus collection on PS5. I'm very early, Manny has just given me a bike and Copeland has asked I get rid of some dudes for him.

I like it enough so far, I knew going in the first few hours weren't really representative of the game so I'm on board with the slow start.

Boy does the game get better. You'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
Started this on PS5 for the first time too. I'm still in the early game - only a couple of missions further from the Copeland stuff referenced above - but I'm enjoying it. I'm extremely intrigued by where the game goes if it apparently gets much better.

Also it's absolutely stunning.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
Cannot understand the mediocre reviews it got. The game is just so fun to play. Yes the missions don't have much variety but you can approach them how you want and are just fun.

Hope it does gets a sequel.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Expectations are a hell of a thing. After the somewhat luke warm reception it got at launch, I wasn't expecting too much, but after playing it on PS5 I'm really impressed. Controls really well, has some amazing spatial audio, really neat landscape, and is overall pretty damn solid. This is a good game!

To be fair, I'm playing it with a rock solid 60fps with high resolution on PS5 after a whole whack load of patches. What people played at launch day on PS4 was certainly a different beast. It probably just serves to demonstrate that first impressions are incredibly important.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Expectations are a hell of a thing. After the somewhat luke warm reception it got at launch, I wasn't expecting too much, but after playing it on PS5 I'm really impressed. Controls really well, has some amazing spatial audio, really neat landscape, and is overall pretty damn solid. This is a good game!

To be fair, I'm playing it with a rock solid 60fps with high resolution on PS5 after a whole whack load of patches. What people played at launch day on PS4 was certainly a different beast. It probably just serves to demonstrate that first impressions are incredibly important.
And that day 1 reviews are becoming less and less relevant.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I recently platinumed it on PS4 pro, and even though I liked it a lot, I can see where the bad word of mouth and reviews came from: it's not on the same level of polish all others Sony first party games usually are. That's not to say it's a buggy mess, at least not anymore in its current state (I can't comment on what people played when it came out), but you can just constantly feel its roughness around the edges. Almost as his protagonist.

Transition from gameplay to cutscenes, for instance, is a lot less smooth than what Uncharted, TLOU, GOW and Spiderman (to name a few) have made us accostumed to. Missions have a fixed time of day, to name another example, so it happens quite often that you reach the starting area just to be presented with a changing-time-of-the-day timelapse which just feel coming from an earlier era of gaming. Or the already mentioned optional dialogues with NPCs that sometimes overlap with gameplay in a jarring way.

All of this contributed to paint a much grimer picture than it actually is: the game is gorgeous, gameplay is fun and varied enough, story is interesting and mostly well acted if not a bit cliched, and the open world feels alive enough that you can 100% platinum it and still feel there's life in it after you have done with your journey.

Definitely a great game and after that secret ending they HAVE to give us a sequel

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The audio in the game was pretty bad. Deacon yelling throw his walkie-talkie all the time while everyone lese had a normal voice.....never understood it. Another thing that happened is I would be in stealth taking down a camp and I would get a call and Deacon would start yelling, yet the enemies didn't notice?
Bend stated that it was just a bug in the game as it was playing the wrong voice clips depending on the situation.

I still laugh at all the people in the original DG thread who were adamant that it was implemented deliberately to show Deacon's poor mental health!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
On a side note I fired this up on my PS5 and was astounded at how much better it looks than the PS4 version, which was already stunning (frame-rate drops aside!)

score01

Oct 27, 2017
It was the last big game I finished on my Pro and maybe it helps being late to the party so alot of the bugs and glitches were fixed but I really enjoyed my time with it despite the slow start. I didnt feel the game till i reached the third camp but glad I stuck with it. A sequel would definitely be high on my radar.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the opposite of my experience so far. It's turning out to be the zombie survival simulator I always wanted.

Ran out of fuel for the first time last night. Was just coming out of a tunnel driving downhill when it happened. Managed to coast for a bit but eventually had to dump it and run as I was being chased. Ended up having to walk all the way to a camp as I couldn't find fuel anywhere. 50 bucks to have your bike collected was a bargain.

Really like the quick save system. Just stand by your bike and hold triangle.

I feel pretty vulnerable in the game so if I've to drive over 2km to a new area, I'll make sure I've full everything before departing and scavenge along the way.

Pretty cool that you can walk the bike to stealth move it.
There is a fuel can at every single checkpoint and place on map. Only reason to run out of fuel is if just being totally careless and lazy.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
There is a fuel can at every single checkpoint and place on map. Only reason to run out of fuel is if just being totally careless and lazy.

I've seen that mentioned a few times but that hasn't been my experience. At checkpoints, as in places with gun lockers and beds, yeah. Then you've got garages and certain vehicles too. But I've found it easy enough to not be able to find any for long enough stretches.

Do they show up in the mini map or survivors vision in regular difficulty settings? Or maybe there's less fuel in survival mode, though I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere?

Also it could just be that I haven't been playing long enough to spot the typical video game sign posting for fuel.

Mar 23, 2019
Haha this, made me think of the yelling park ranger from Parks and Rec everytime!

lol, this exactly, forgot about that!

Bend stated that it was just a bug in the game as it was playing the wrong voice clips depending on the situation.

I still laugh at all the people in the original DG thread who were adamant that it was implemented deliberately to show Deacon's poor mental health!

Thats interesting, it makes sense given how off it is

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen that mentioned a few times but that hasn't been my experience. At checkpoints, as in places with gun lockers and beds, yeah. Then you've got garages and certain vehicles too. But I've found it easy enough to not be able to find any for long enough stretches.

Do they show up in the mini map or survivors vision in regular difficulty settings? Or maybe there's less fuel in survival mode, though I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere?

Also it could just be that I haven't been playing long enough to spot the typical video game sign posting for fuel.
They're big and red in a world where that colour barely exists. They aren't on the mini map but I think get highlighted.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm gonna start this tonight. Got a lot of those PS+ freebies on PS5 which haven't started yet...

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuel will actually deplete in areas so after a while you're going to have to find gas stations or return to a town to refuel. It can actually make the second half of the game a real chore if you cleaned out entire sections of the map as the game is not generous in respawning new items.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Fuel will actually deplete in areas so after a while you're going to have to find gas stations or return to a town to refuel. It can actually make the second half of the game a real chore if you cleaned out entire sections of the map as the game is not generous in respawning new items.

Really? I thought it respawned. I've barely been outside the roads between the first 2 camps though. Would make sense though, everything else seems more persistent than other equivalent games.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it respawns, I basically used the same 3 'commonly used roads' checkpoints most of the game as the ones I'd stop at to grab a fuel can. And I did every little thing on the map for 100%.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I was originally interested in this when it came out but I typically wait quite a while for sales and patching on all games. Ended up waiting long enough to now play it for free on PS5.

I'm probably only 5 hours in but I can definitely see myself already really enjoying this. Looks amazing on the PS5 and my new TV. Glad I waited until it was patched and haven't experience anything buggy or frame drops yet.

Pretty pumped to play the rest. And glad it has plenty of extra content now.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
What? Are you sure? AFAIK unless you blow them up, even the red fuel canisters have unlimited fuel and you can use those indefinitely. And of course the same applies to gas stations

OP
OP
Nateo

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah this isnt true. Once you leave a check point fuel respawns in the same spot is was before you picked it up if tou move far enough away from tow trucks they also respawn fuel.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
Fuel always respawned for me and plenty of petrol stations and tow trucks with fuel cans around.
Also by the second half you should have a bigger tank on your bike.

Uncle00Jesse

Nov 1, 2017
I'm 2 hours in on PS5 and so fucking bored. I like can't bring myself to go to the next check point. How much longer til it's fun?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Cannot understand the mediocre reviews it got. The game is just so fun to play. Yes the missions don't have much variety but you can approach them how you want and are just fun.

Hope it does gets a sequel.

The reviews are completely understandable honestly. Mechanically nothing is especially good, it's mostly serviceable. The characters aren't exactly the most likeable or memorable bunch and the game is undoubtably too long. You also have the remember the bugs and performance at launch was dismal and that was the version reviewers played.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't stop the 10s and 9s from rolling in for Cyberpunk

I doubt Cyberpunk on a mid to high end PC (which seems to be what the reviewers used) is anywhere near as terrible as this game was on a PS4 on day one. Rightly or not Days Gone isn't anywhere near the caliber of game where it's going to get a pass for stuff like from media critics. Having clocked the game myself mid 7s is about right. Had the Ps5 version been the one that we got from the start it's an 80+. Let's be honest, this was a PS5 level game being forced to work on a base PS4, I said that when it came out.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I doubt Cyberpunk on a mid to high end PC (which seems to be what the reviewers used) is anywhere near as terrible as this game was on a PS4 on day one.
Cyberpunk is sounding like the buggiest AAA release ever, so idk about that. Like, by far.

Agreed with the rest of your post.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Cyberpunk is sounding like the buggiest AAA release ever, so idk about that. Like, by far.

Agreed with the rest of your post.

Perhaps it might be on the base consoles, but conveniently the reviewers only played it on PC. All I remember at launch from Days Gone was the game straight up freezing when you try to ride fast on the bike followed by huge stuttering and world pop in. Falling through geometry wasn't that uncommon either.

When you think about it it's ludicrous how much better the experience first time players on PS5 get (who probably are playing it through Plus) compared to people who bought it at launch for 60 on PS4.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Perhaps it might be on the base consoles, but conveniently the reviewers only played it on PC. All I remember at launch from Days Gone was the game straight up freezing when you try to ride fast on the bike followed by huge stuttering and world pop in. Falling through geometry wasn't that uncommon either.

Nah, I'm talking about PC. That's where all the reviews have been from. The game is a heap of bugs on top of bugs. Shit sounds like it'd make Bethesda blush.

The issues you've described in this post for Days Gone have come up in reviews for Cyberpunk. Having to reload saves because elevators stop working, characters T-posing in cutscenes, guns floating in mid air after defeating enemies, cars going through other cars, phone calls during cutscenes that cause the audio to be fucked, etc. This shit is such a mess that more than one reviewer has suggested that the game probably should have been delayed even further.

Not the topic of this thread tho so I think we should drop it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Played another few hours last night, still can't get over how much I'm enjoying it.

Starting to think it's s Far Cry: Primal situation in that I think the game would be medium to bad outside survival mode though.

Oct 27, 2017
Played another few hours last night, still can't get over how much I'm enjoying it.

Starting to think it's s Far Cry: Primal situation in that I think the game would be medium to bad outside survival mode though.
I played on Hard when it first came out and that mode seemed like it was designed for it. (The game was supposed not to have difficulty modes pre release until they changed their mind so maybe hard was the default).

Survival sounds great though. I will have to play with it once I get a PS5 and replay it on it.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
When you think about it it's ludicrous how much better the experience first time players on PS5 get (who probably are playing it through Plus) compared to people who bought it at launch for 60 on PS4.

And that's why I pretty much never buy a game at launch. Probably by the end of the PS5 gen I will have bought about 3 full priced games between PS4 and PS5.

Games are typically just so much better 6-12 months down the line. They are cheaper and have had multiple patches. I don't know what Days Gone was like on launch but I'm not dealing with any of the stuff people complained about. My experience has been incredible.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
A sequel is all but confirmed already. Can't link the tweet for fear of ban/warning but Jeff Ross replied to someone and basically said Days Gone 2 would be fine even with him leaving Bend.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It got a lot of mixed reviews when it released, but it was definitely one of my favorite games of 2019.