• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of the hordes may be intended for end game I was able to take out several of the small ones near the starting area well before the halfway point of the game and quite a few "normal" sized hordes by halfway. That complaint has never really rung true to me.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
While a lot of the hordes may be intended for end game I was able to take out several of the small ones near the starting area well before the halfway point of the game and quite a few "normal" sized hordes by halfway. That complaint has never really rung true to me.

on hardest difficulty ? Because I'm like 66% of the game and i always never have the amount of equipement required to finish them. after that i have to grind stuff to get back to another.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Starting area hordes are fairly small (30 - 50 freakers max). Quite easy to tackle if you get enough stamina shots. Largest are at Highway 97 area (300+).

I enjoyed the game on PS5, but main complaint would be pacing and length of main story. And voice acting, which is top comedy gold at times.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What happened to the reviews is that they played the entire game. 12 hours is super early
The general consensus seems to be that the first 10 hours are the worst part for most users and it was after that they started to enjoy it.

I loved it from the start though and by the time I got the real ending I couldn't be more excited for a new entry.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I'm definitely going to play it but the hoards put me off, I'd have preferred less zombies lol

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I really enjoyed my first 5-6 hours with this game. Then I fell off fast. The loop was just not enough for me. The game will forever be in my memory though. It was the first game I played after my second daughter was born, that I was able to play while she slept in my arms.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I played it through on a base PS4 and I'd say it's a solid 7/10 game. A performance boost wouldn't change that for me. It's overall well rounded, but the premise of being a biker didn't exactly grab me and I didn't feel like the overall story was all that interesting.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I was honestly surprised by how much I liked it. The story starts off waaay too slow, everything before Iron Lake is just preamble for the most part, but it picks up really well, and the Horde battles are legitimately terrifying. I thought the gathering/crafting was well balanced, I never felt like I had too many supplies

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
I also loved this game. I don't understand the hate. Was it ground breaking? No, but it sure as heck was fun to play. Fenyx Rising is another great game that doesn't get the love it deserves.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Hard was the way to go. It makes that first half of the game a fun challenge. You'll be nice and OP by the end. Enjoy and go for the platinum, you will be really close by the end of the game.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First time playing the game, really enjoying it. The hordes are the star, some of the scariest shit in games is happening across one by accident, seeing them pour through all the gaps like WWZ.

One thing I keep thinking though is....can wolves really run as fast as a motorbike?

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I dropped it on the ps4 thinking it was boring, but picked it back up on the 5 and am enjoying it. It moves and looks amazing.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Deacon has such an interesting vibe that I never expected to see in an open-world game. I thought he was gonna be the kind of protagonist where you can *hear* their permanent Dreamworks smirk, but they actually did something off-beat with him! On an open-world game!! Wow.

Mark me down as another person that sees this as competitive with all the other Sony open-world games. In a couple ways it edges them out, even. I wish HZD attempted to make loot and equipment as significant as they are here, speaking purely of "presence", of connection between them and the player.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I categorize Days Gone as an absolute gem. Just finished the game for the first time. Played the game on hard. Fighting freakers, especially hordes is a highlight. I enjoyed that so much I defeated every horde on the map.

The platinum trophy is attainable and enjoyable since the world is so much fun to play in. Activities related to the trophy are fun completing.

I appreciate games that prioritize sandbox design. While most missions have boundaries, the boundaries are wide enough where it is rarely is an issue. Stealth missions aside.

Last of all, the story and characters are really, really good. Furthermore, the lore and world building is top notch. From NERO intel, to the ramblings of a cultish madman on speakers, the world is rich with stories.

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up after a few hours due to so much of the game (namely the story, characters and world) being dour. Maybe if I'd have carried on playing it it would have hooked me like The Last of Us did. (What with TLoU being similarly dour.) However... this isn't the right time to be playing games that put me in that mindset. It's funny because if you take away the beauty of the world of Ghost of Tsushima, a game which I completed just the other day, it too would be downbeat as fuck. Thankfully its world *is* beautiful and so acted as a perfect counterbalance to the severe meloncholy found in just about every other aspect of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
The trifecta of weapon durability, stamina bars, and stealth approaches was like a nope sandwich for me at the beginning. If someone tells me those become less or even better, irrelevant, later on, I'll try it again.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Most importantly, you'd lose that element of surprise if hordes were marked and you knew where to expect them. Some of the best moments in the game is randomly stumbling into a horde when you didn't see it coming.

I'd bet this is the reason why they were left unmarked until near the end.

Yeah, that is also a very good point. One of my most memorable moments was the time I was coasting down a muddy hill at night with like 10% gas left and spotted a small horde converging on the river basin at the bottom. I couldn't stop in time and ended up drifting within inches of several of the freakers. They were still migrating from the road and almost swallowed me up before I ran one over and made a break for it. Very tense moment!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Still enjoying the game, but at the halfway point my thoughts: I think one can see a lot of improvements can be made for a part 2:

- This story should have moved far, far more swiftly early on. It spends too much time spinning its wheels on what should have been a series of side mission stories at best, not plot driving beats that consume the players' time for hours with a predictable conclusion. They could have gotten this out of the way in two hours, not ten

- I hope the skill trees are more refined and synergistic in the inevitable sequel

- I enjoy the feeling of having to reserve fuel, I think it adds to the experience, but the upgrades should be more meaningful. Tank v1 doesn't really feel much different from tank v3

- More interesting weapon schematics found more frequently would really enhance the gameplay. It feels like any major upgrade is found via advancing the story and not within the open world which kind of drives the player away from the main hook of the game

- They should have made up their mind how they wanted the story to be told to the player. Sometimes it plays out within the open world, sometimes it relegates the player to slowly walking behind a NPC listening to droll dialog

An aside, it feels like the game switched lead game designers halfway through. It almost feels like two separate games set within the same world; the first ten to twelve hours feels like it was designed by an entirely different committee of people than everything afterwards.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I am only like 12 hours into this right now (on PS5 I might add) and I am very much enjoying Days Gone. I started on Hard as I saw some people recommend that and the atmosphere, open world, bike and Deacon himself are all truly fantastic.

It's far from perfect and the combat could definitely be better, but despite that:
I would rate this as an 8/10 thus far and I already hope this gets a sequel.

So Era, what the hell happened with the reviews for this game? Am I in the minority?
Nothing. You're enjoying a mediocre game. Its pretty common

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Stopping to save a guy trapped in a car calling for help. Dispatch a few zombies and see a new one climb over a guard railing. No big deal. Now two, then three, suddenly dozens.

broke out to the bike and tore out to the symphony of his screams. Sorry playboy but I am out.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thank god they let you skip these chase missions after a few failures. Ubisoft finally stopped including them in games, these bounty missions in this game are even more frustrating and a thousand times more boring. I hope they properly ditch them in the sequel.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally finished the game with about 45 hours on the clock. Only aspect I consistently didn't enjoy were the hordes, which I cheesed wherever possible.

Otherwise, had a great time. Looks and plays great on PS5.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Days Gone was a surprise hit for me, did not think I'd like it as much as I did. Those hordes man they really got my heart pumping.

My partner and I played through Prey, Days Gone, and a couple others during the lockdown period last year. We both liked Days Gone quite a bit, I think Prey was far and away her favorite though. I was shocked by how much I liked Days Gone though. Really made me feel as if I was playing Daryl's character from TWD.

Last edited:

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I quote myself from an older LTTP on this game: I think this game was panned at release mostly because is a lot less polished (even now, after all the patches) than all the mayor Sony exclusives which came out last gen.

Transition from gameplay to cutscenes, for instance, is a lot less smooth than what Uncharted, TLOU, GOW and Spiderman (to name a few) have made us accostumed to: you run to the mission starting point, and when you reach it your character suddenly stops, there's a quick fade to black and then the cutscene. Missions have a fixed time of day, to name another example, so it happens quite often that you reach the starting area just to be presented with a changing-time-of-the-day timelapse which just feel coming from an earlier era of gaming. Or the already mentioned optional dialogues with NPCs that sometimes overlap with gameplay in a jarring way.

BUT it is a very good game despite all of those things. Especially in the first hours it succeeds very well in making you feel like a small tiny creature in a world filled with lethal dangers. Scavanging is rewarding and feels dangerous enough to keep you on your toes while doing it in preparation for the next mission. And hordes are a REAL threat for most of the game, as it should be.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this game, after putting it down at release after only about an hour of play.
Tried it again on PS5 and 60 fps was a game changer for me.

I almost never finish games, and it's rarer still that I 100% one - but I platinumed Days Gone!
Last time that happend was Mad Max, and there's definitely some similarities there.

Hands down my favorite game of last gen, but only after having played it on this gen, interestingly enough.

Took me about 55 hours. Loved everything about it, except I don't think I've done a single horde the way the game wanted me to (running around, setting off traps). I just unloaded explosives and kited them until dead.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The trifecta of weapon durability, stamina bars, and stealth approaches was like a nope sandwich for me at the beginning. If someone tells me those become less or even better, irrelevant, later on, I'll try it again.

Weapon durability is never an issue, as you don't ever actually need to use melee weapons. They're scattered all around anway and you can craft one as easily as anything else in the game.
When you find the best one, fixing a broken weapon is a two button thing again.
You do need to craft a lot (molotovs mostly), but it's two button presses.

Stamina is only an issue with hordes, and it is an issue. But if you hold off on doing hordes until the end, you'll be maxed out and won't ever run out.
Stealth is never a requirement, I don't think. In any case, the only difference is adding a suppressor to your gun - you do everything else exactly the same.
edit: forgot about the Nero missions, those are stealth. They're over in 2-3 minutes which is probably why they slipped my mind. Getting into Lost Lake is a stealth mission as well.

Last edited:

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Only played it for the first time now on PS5 - finished it about a week ago - and it's an underrated gem. Had an absolute blast - much better than any recent Ubi open world game i can think of. Plays well, looks good, great characters - definitely in for a sequel.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

You can learn to repair melee items pretty early on. Item durability isn't much of an issue after that. You could also focus on the crossbow instead (one shot kills, especially after a skill upgrade and early story unlock).

You can likewise increase stamina and invest in a few skill points to make it trivial. It's never really a problem though.

The stealth is some of the easiest in a game I've ever played, and I am known to throw gaming temper tantrums over stealth sections. Very early on one can invest in a skill that increases stealth so much one almost has to go out of their way to be detected.

The largest problem this game has is what others have mentioned: storytelling. In both how it's told and how characters are dealt with. If they had embraced that Deacon was an antihero, really leaned into it and didn't try to do some kind of dance where they won't commit, it could have shown some real character growth.

And of course the entire first act, as I mentioned before, feels decompressed to the point of absurdity in hindsight.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I found the game to be a chore, I finished but it was really tiring, started it at release, and was playing a lot before the PS5 to clean the backlog, I finished on PS5 and it was better at 60 fps but not even there I was having fun, the jank was too much for me, I am not against a sequel because there is great potential there, but I would prefer a new Syphon Filter from Bend to be honest.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I couldn't get through it. I found it immensely boring. It looks very good, and I actually like the voice acting, but everything else fell short. Deacon felt bad to control (even the gyro aiming sucked), all the story threads were uninteresting, and the bike was horrendous. The fuel system was very restrictive. One cannot go from A to B. They have to go from A to C (in between A and B), get off the bike, refuel, hop in and then go to B, unless B is still too far and another stop is needed.

After about 15h or so I was beaten.

I hope Bend works on a completely different game. Even if it was more polished, I can't see myself interested in another title about zombie hordes.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I'm on PS5 for the record, but ah I had no idea about the bugs. Hoping the game doesn't get worse as I progress.

I played the whole thing through on PS5. Only had one bug and that was going into a house and falling through the floor. Couldn't get out as I was partly below the floor so couldn't get through the door. Ended up blowing myself up to kill myself and respawn. Everything else was flawless.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
PS5 came yesterday, can't wait to jump in and play the game again. Excited to see the improvements they were able to add to the game for next gen consoles.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've never been interested in this game but gotta admit, that gunplay does look like fun...hmmm...

...also, I do have a fresh PS5 and PS+.

Sorry for the bump and self-quote but I ended up downloading it and randomly booting it up while waiting on something else and damn, this game is so much better than I expected. I did not expect this to be so surprisingly atmospheric and even a bit poignant in terms of its overall vibe. I expected FUCK YEA BRO all the way based on pre-release footage and it's not that.

More importantly, the combat is really tight, satisfying and quite tense on Hard so far. There are a surprising amount of cool details and ideas that just feel good like the fuel management and general motorcycle upkeep, the bike actually feeling fun to drive, the highly atmospheric weather and wind effects and on and on.

Did not expect this after initial reviews and my pretty hostile reaction to pre-release footage. Crow has been served as my main course over the last few nights.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump and self-quote but I ended up downloading it and randomly booting it up while waiting on something else and damn, this game is so much better than I expected. I did not expect this to be so surprisingly atmospheric and even a bit poignant in terms of its overall vibe. I expected FUCK YEA BRO all the way based on pre-release footage and it's not that.

More importantly, the combat is really tight, satisfying and quite tense on Hard so far. There are a surprising amount of cool details and ideas that just feel good like the fuel management and general motorcycle upkeep, the bike actually feeling fun to drive, the highly atmospheric weather and wind effects and on and on.

Did not expect this after initial reviews and my pretty hostile reaction to pre-release footage. Crow has been served as my main course over the last few nights.
I love ppl like you I swear I do lol. Admits they were harsh before release, tried it, liked it and didn't try to cover it up with a but or this or that, just straight up yo I was wrong damn I'll eat crow lol. Maturity

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I found the reviews perfectly accurate. It's one more bandit-camp, stealth-kill, scavenge, craft, skill-tree open world game at a time when the gaming landscape is absolutely saturated with them, with very little to call its own. What does Days Gone do that a dozen other games don't do identically, or more likely better? Why is it worth 50+ hours?

I say this as someone who did put in that 50+ hours, even stuck around for the Platinum Trophy because I didn't have much else on. My best compliments are that the story has a good middle section after about 15-20 hours of mediocrity (things pick up when you hit Lost Lake), and the Horde stuff in what is basically the endgame can be pretty fun. I think it would have been a far better experience if they'd dropped all the cookie cutter open world design and focused entirely on the Horde gameplay that made it unique. I don't need to clear out any more bandit camps in my life, or spend dozens of hours scavenging trash to craft doodads, but massive fights against hundreds of zombies in custom-designed playgrounds are really cool and I would have had a lot of fun playing a game that was just that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I love ppl like you I swear I do lol. Admits they were harsh before release, tried it, liked it and didn't try to cover it up with a but or this or that, just straight up yo I was wrong damn I'll eat crow lol. Maturity
Yep. It's a breath of fresh air. Hell, I love being able to admit I was wrong about a game.

Haha well...seriously, I love videogames and I don't actually enjoy thinking something looks shitty. I love when this happens. I also laughed at Death Stranding, thought it looked stupid and only rented it because I wanted to see just how bad it was. It ended up being one of my favorite games last gen and one of the more memorable videogames I've played in years, its atmosphere still sticks with me.

Again, I love when this happens and every time it does, it's a reminder for me to be a little less judgmental about pre-release footage and marketing.

I found the reviews perfectly accurate. It's one more bandit-camp, stealth-kill, scavenge, craft, skill-tree open world game at a time when the gaming landscape is absolutely saturated with them, with very little to call its own. What does Days Gone do that a dozen other games don't do identically, or more likely better? Why is it worth 50+ hours?

I literally never play open world games like this so to me it's more like all my favorite parts of TLoU without the irritating 'short combat arena, big cutscene, short combat arena, two cutscenes' structure. That and all the stuff I mentioned in my post above, that's what I'm enjoying so much about it. But I'll also add that stories are, for the most part, pretty irrelevant to me so that part doesn't bother me like it does others.