• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
One of my favourite Sony first party games on PS4.. really loved the game and enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Days Gone 2 will amaze many people when it's announced and revealed because the studio has a crazy potential that there's no doubt in my mind they are going to hit.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
it really suffered a lot due to the hdd and cpu of the ps4. most bugs ppl saw was cause of not loading or not streaming data fast enough.

with the ps5 those are solved as well as having big patches and ps5 upgrades. i liked it

Oddly enough when I went back on ps5 to finish the platinum I experienced a lot more bugs than I remember when I beat it at launch in my ps4p. Lot of disappearing hordes when I was clearing out the nests

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Because of the reviews, I would have never given that game a second thought if it wasn't free on the PS+ collection. It's now one of my favourite SIE exclusives of the generation. Maybe even in the top 5.

I think the lesson for Bend studio is that first impressions matter (see GoW3 for reference). The first little segment of the game was not great, and I can definitely see that flavouring the rest of the experience or causing people to drop it prematurely.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It's that sort of experience you could either enjoy considerably or find unbearable. In my opinion, it wastes much of its time with an irrelevant (and too long) beginning, followed by a second half that never reaches a high enough peak; no valuable subtext or character development would be lost if the script had been drastically cut. As for the more interactive side, I found survival-oriented elements to be rudimentary or hardly explored, core loop was pure monotony, while basic encounters offered none to little variation through subpar IA and erratic scenarios (hard to name a single setpiece or gunfight that's either unique in arrangement or not used again later); finally, in a nonsensical choice, hordes, the selling point of the game (next to its graphics) aren't introduced in full fashion until your time in Deacon's world is almost over. Instead of being progressively displayed throughout the campaign as key events, hordes are mostly kept as post-story content (or optional challenges available from the main menu, sparing you of one important reason to play the campaign for 30 or more hours).

There are still some joys to have with it; shooting and driving in an open-world adventure is an old formula by now and I think the game does both well. I suppose that a better framerate does improve on those aspects, but I hardly see what effect that would have on its aimless progression and every half-baked idea.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on PS5 for the record, but ah I had no idea about the bugs. Hoping the game doesn't get worse as I progress.
I did a NG+ run on PS5, only had few shadow pop-in in an end-game area, but otherwise the game was technically polished for me.

Just starting the game guys. I'm pretty decent at TPS and stealth games (really poor at FPS). I platinumed Horizon on Ultra Hard for example but I game less currently and I don't want to pad my game too much. I'm a slow paced player so I walk and explore a bunch and I will probably use photo mode too. The question is Hard or Survival mode? I've read about the features of survival mode and it sounds awesome and highly immersive but I'm also worried that it makes DG really long if you plan to do most things (or everything). I'm thinking more deaths, more careful tactics and more stealth, more time in menus, more resource gathering and management with no fast travel. Will Survival mode make my game more than 10 hours longer than Hard?
No fast travel will make the game longer, but it's on you to learn the best way to drive between interest points, it's not that complicated. The survival 2 mode will hide the mini-map except for a very short time when you use your sense, so woods & herbs could be a bit annoying to find.

I would say, go for S1 at least it and don't be discouraged for the start. Because you will need to scavenge a lot, but there is a lot to scavenge everywhere, and for such a small team Bend was, the game is surprisingly detailsd visually, all interiors have their own thig.

My tips would be to not be afraid to use your consumables, offensive or not, because you will find plenty craft material everywhere. Silencers are really great to use, eventually the crossbow if you enjoy the gameplay (it's free ammunition with crafting, but I am not sure if it's powerful enough in S1/2).

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Hard mode is pretty much the standard difficulty for the game. That's what they designed the game around. Survival makes it a bit more slower paced but it is doable. A friend of mine played it later when they added survival and it worked very well for them.

I see. But I would love to know how big of a difference does Survival make. If the game is around 40 hours (with reloads) on Hard for me and Survival makes it 60 hours that's not cool with now. If it a 5 hour difference I'm starting survival mode immediately.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I did a NG+ run on PS5, only had few shadow pop-in in an end-game area, but otherwise the game was technically polished for me.

No fast travel will make the game longer, but it's on you to learn the best way to drive between interest points, it's not that complicated. The survival 2 mode will hide the mini-map except for a very short time when you use your sense, so woods & herbs could be a bit annoying to find.

I would say, go for S1 at least it and don't be discouraged for the start. Because you will need to scavenge a lot, but there is a lot to scavenge everywhere, and for such a small team Bend was, the game is surprisingly detailsd visually, all interiors have their own thig.

My tips would be to not be afraid to use your consumables, offensive or not, because you will find plenty craft material everywhere. Silencers are really great to use, eventually the crossbow if you enjoy the gameplay (it's free ammunition with crafting, but I am not sure if it's powerful enough in S1/2).

I'm starting to get convinced. Do you die alot or just in the first few hours?

Oct 27, 2017
I see. But I would love to know how big of a difference does Survival make. If the game is around 40 hours (with reloads) on Hard for me and Survival makes it 60 hours that's not cool with now. If it a 5 hour difference I'm starting survival mode immediately.
Ah I see.

I am not sure about it as I haven't played survival so I don't want to give you a false advice.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to get convinced. Do you die alot or just in the first few hours?
I wanted to edit my first post to say that I didn't started the game in survival, my first run was on hard, and I did a Survival 2 in NG+. So I cannot tell you about the lenght, because all weapons, vehicles upgrades and skills carry over. And progression plays a huge part in the gameplay, skills and weapons are really transformative.

But, about the design, the game felt vers similar for me. You will just have to learn the best way to travel securely, in a mix of road and off-road. So I am so-so about telling you what to chose, because hard could be enough for a first run and you would kept QoL options like fast travel and radar, while still having a descent challenge.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I wanted to edit my first post to say that I didn't started the game in survival, my first run was on hard, and I did a Survival 2 in NG+. So I cannot tell you about the lenght, because all weapons, vehicles upgrades and skills carry over. And progression plays a huge part in the gameplay, skills and weapons are really transformative.

But, about the design, the game felt vers similar for me. You will just have to learn the best way to travel securely, in a mix of road and off-road. So I am so-so about telling you what to chose, because hard could be enough for a first run and you would kept QoL options like fast travel and radar, while still having a descent challenge.

I see. I would probably deal with the challenge. I just don't want my game to be 10-15 hours longer. I will probably sleep on it because it's getting late here but Survival(1) sounds good. Is the game much more immersive on Survival?

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I waited on it until Christmas and I'm glad I did. Gives me something to play when taking a break from Spider-Man or Demon's Souls and even though it can be a bit jankity at times but it is definitely fun to play. I can't play it when I'm sleepy at all though, I'll fall asleep traveling between areas. I should mention I'm playing on Survival so I don't exactly have a choice on travel either. I'm not sure how long I've played it but I know I'm not far...Boozer is still in the tower but I think he's just about healed, I have the NERO radio and have to go to the Springs. Sorry if I'm being vague...I don't know what people would consider spoilers and I also am not 100% sure on where I'm at.

I see. I would probably deal with the challenge. I just don't want my game to be 10-15 hours longer. I will probably sleep on it because it's getting late here but Survival(1) sounds good. Is the game much more immersive on Survival?

I would say so. I don't exactly have a comparison with Normal or Hard, but not being able to fast travel means you need to make sure you know where you can find fuel and scrap to keep your bike maintained. You'll find yourself stopping at any place of interest because you need to scavenge. If you play smart as if you were actually in a zombie apocalypse, it's not too terribly hard. If you die it's usually your own mistakes that caused it...I am still fairly early though so I can't speak to any difficulty spikes

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I dropped it after 3-4 hours. Seemed so boring. Stealth isn't perfect but there's focus on stealth at the beginning. Didn't want to continue playing, nothing hooked me.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it's more immersive, but you can chose to hide HUD and force you to drive rather than fast travel in Hard too.

While that mode is cool to have, it's not transformative, because survival rely on things easy to manage after a while.

The core difference will be in combat and finding ressources for it.

But the best to make your definitive choice would be to ask (on reddit like Richter advised you) someone who've played it from scratch in S1/S2 because I cannot give you a proper answer about your main question regarding length.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
The start was slow, the bulk of the game was really enjoyable, but then ending soured it for me and just dragged out and felt about 12 hours longer than it should have been.

I'd give it a 7.5, but it's a must play game if you have a ps5 and ps+, well worth your time.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best open world games of last generation. I hope we get a PS5 sequel.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a go when I got the PS5 but I didn't stick with it long. Seemed kinda boring and I was sick of Deacon constantly mumbling to himself. Seriously, shut the fuck up dude. I was playing on hard but I was curious to go back and see if bumping it up to survival would make it more interesting.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the reviews is that they played the entire game. 12 hours is super early
The first 6-8 hours are the worst in the game, by far.
The story, scope, even gameplay loop improve significantly after that, and pretty much keeps improving once you start tackling hordes.
I honestly didn't like DG all that much at first, but it ended being one of my favs that year.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Have they sorted the PS4 to PS5 issue yet? I tried to play on my PS5, disc and the PS+ collection edition, and the game on PS5 would not see my save at all.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I hadn't played it until I got my PS5. I beat it back in the summer I think. I enjoyed it.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
Things that I thought made this game great:

1. Mission structure would change and types of missions would always vary, and they always try to introduce something new even if you do it only once.
  2. You run out of bullets especially early on so you end up getting to use enemies guns which is a good way to test out variety of weapons
  3. Collecting items is used for crafting and as you progress, you get to unlock more and more things as you progress and buy better weapons and bike upgrades( good Progression overall)
  4. I really liked that each Camp had their own missions, upgrades/weapons, and that you had credits at each camp and not giant wallet full of money that you can spend at any Camp. This makes you want to do more missions for the Camp to unlock things.
  5. It's cool that there are story arcs and missions that are broken down into smaller ones with a reward after full completion.
  6. New enemy types get introduced over time to change things up a bit
  7. Zombies are dangerous and keep you on your toes
  8. Animations and AI is excellent
  9. You can't teleport all over the map so you have to keep in mind your gas tank. It may seem like a hindrance, but it force you to explore certain areas of the map that have their own benefits.
  10. Story is not the best, but the characters are not bad, and they reveal things slowly to keep you engaged. Excellent camera work I must say during cut scenes.
  11. Dynamic weather
  12. This game is better than the Last of Us, there, I said it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 doesn't fix hack writing

It's by no means perfect with a poor start, stretching things out and what but I actually quite enjoyed the overall story especially as it pertains to Deacon and those close to him. I'd even say the writing of many of the pivotal scenes in the middle and later portions of the game are very well done with some rather understated and nuanced writing. I even think the fact Deacon starts as a piece of shit works pretty well for the character arc that builds for him even if overall it could have been a "smoother" journey.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I think i am one of the few and rare people that actually think the beginning of this Game is the best part. Don't ge me wrong the Story fucking sucks at that point and it gets better later on (only to get kinda bad again in the last act) but what i really liked about the first few hours was the survival feeling, you only had a scrappy gun, your bike lost all it's gas pretty quickly and just a few enemies could mean your death.

Facing a horde that early on in the Game was a true moment of terror, the world and the distances required to go from mission to mission was also much more dense than in the later areas.

I remember that i actually killed one horde because i got kinda locked up in a fight with them at a Nero Checkpoint and i managed to defeat them with my really bad handgun, because i shot all the explosives in the area. That was really a great and tense feeling. Something the Game rarely gave me after i was basically op during the last act.

I also think it's a better Game than Ghost of Tsushima, which i never expected to say tbh.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game with solid core gameplay that doesn't have the chops to tell an engaging story, what I played what for the most part an absolutely forgettable mess.

I would have liked the game much more if it leaned much deeper in to the gameplay systems and tried to be more like State of Decay rather than Uncharted.
100%. Most of the ingredients for an amazing systems-driven game is there. But it all gets thrown off a cliff for a bland linear story.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Played at launch and wasn't much of a fan of what I did play. But admittedly I didn't play a lot, as I dropped off early on. Now that I have a PS5, and the game has been patched since then, I'm willing to give it another shot.

Danielsff

Aug 5, 2019
Played 30 hours hating it, then i discovered there was more 30 until the end, quit imediatelly. Worst game i played this generation.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Aside from those first few slow hours where the cutscenes feel super disjointed like it's missing stuff (it is missing stuff that is revealed later) I loved it. Looked amazing too.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I am only like 12 hours into this right now (on PS5 I might add) and I am very much enjoying Days Gone. I started on Hard as I saw some people recommend that and the atmosphere, open world, bike and Deacon himself are all truly fantastic.

It's far from perfect and the combat could definitely be better, but despite that:
I would rate this as an 8/10 thus far and I already hope this gets a sequel.

So Era, what the hell happened with the reviews for this game? Am I in the minority?
Completely underrated game. Loved it to death.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thought about giving it another shot on PS5 but it's still the perfect pairing of a derivative setting and theme and derivative AAA open world gameplay but with better performance.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but aside from being 4K and 60fps on PS5, it also supports 3D Audio! It sounds amazing!

It's like somebody took all the good parts of Dead Rising 3 (mechanics in an open world zombie game) and made a good game. I know launches can be tough but I think this should be considered a classic in the years to come. It has really redeemed itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I am only like 12 hours into this right now (on PS5 I might add) and I am very much enjoying Days Gone. I started on Hard as I saw some people recommend that and the atmosphere, open world, bike and Deacon himself are all truly fantastic.

It's far from perfect and the combat could definitely be better, but despite that:
I would rate this as an 8/10 thus far and I already hope this gets a sequel.

So Era, what the hell happened with the reviews for this game? Am I in the minority?
was my game of the year

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I love this game. It's really a visual standout on PS5 for anyone that's looking for something to play.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Finished this recently.

I think the game is about 15 hours too long (I played on Survival, which felt great, but definitely had me hurting for fast travel near the game's conclusion), and I found some of the writing and acting around some of the characters (Mainly Deacon, honestly) to be pretty suspect. But...

Yeah, so much of the game is extremely good. Mechanically, despite having a very odd control scheme, the game is excellent. The bike feels so good to drive around (The only thing that was missing was dual sense support; that would have felt amazing). The world is full of interesting world building and interesting locations. The core story and most of the side characters become really compelling as the story goes on (Probably part of the reason the game ends up being so long). The long form quest structure is really unique and well handled... Honestly, I just have so many positive things to say about the game.

People didn't give it a proper chance because it was just another "zombie game" (it isn't) and probably because the writing and acting is very abrasive early on (it is, and doesn't always end up justifying those decisions), but if the game weren't as long as it is, I would recommend everyone play it. Some will say the game is "boring." The game is a "slow game"; a game where they want you to stroll around in it, see the texture and everything they created, and do the mundane like worry about how much gas you have. It sets a very intentional mood and creates excellent gulfs between intense "set piece" feeling moments (many of which appear seemingly organically as you stumble into them). That's going to rub some the wrong way if they want the story to be constantly driving you forward, but was excellently done in my opinion.

As it is, all I can say is that I really hope to see what that studio does next, and I would be excited to see them return to this world, or at least to a similarly styled experience.

I enjoyed Day's Gone more than Ghost of Tsushima if I'm honest.
I'm finishing Ghost of Tsushima now (My last game was Day's Gone, so it's very fresh).

The world of Ghost is gorgeous. The core story is compelling. The mechanics are strong. The characters mostly good.

But I haven't connected with the actual world of Ghost of Tsushima in anything close to the way I connected with the world of Days Gone. The world of Ghost is ultimately a very pretty thing that just passes me by from one map marker to the next. I've frequently thought about how generic the overall structure of Ghost feels by comparison.

Ghost is a game I'm really enjoying, but there's no doubt Days Gone has a lot to offer beyond the ambitions of Ghost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aldro

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
The world of Ghost is ultimately a very pretty thing that just passes me by from one map marker to the next. I've frequently thought about how generic the overall structure of Ghost feels by comparison.

Ghost is a game I'm really enjoying, but there's no doubt Days Gone has a lot to offer beyond the ambitions of Ghost.
This is exactly how I feel, wow. It feels strange to say it as one is a zombie game where you have to refuel your bike and in the other you're a damn samurai but I truly love being in the world of Days Gone.

It feels real somehow, very immersive. And I don't know much about the story yet but I just saw how Deacon and Sarah met for the first time and man, I care about them. Deacon in particular is awesome. I love how he mumbles and has strong ass reactions while clearly being in a dark place. I think Sam Witwer is doing a terrific job here.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_waomSGMqe4

I feel for him and find it relatable on some level. I hope the story doesn't dive of a cliff as I feel invested right now. The start of the story was rough for sure but the game has won me over by now.

I almost want to up my score to a 9, but time will tell. Exciting to hear that it gets even better!

Last edited:

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I too am currently playing through Days Gone for the first time on the PS5 and I feel the same. I've played for probably 40 hours so far and I'm just loving it. The attention to detail, the world itself is extremely well crafted and it's just a pleasure to ride around the open world doing random things. The story has been better than I expected and I'm just enjoying it immensely. Can't wait for the sequel!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Wasn't a fan of the game on PS4, still not crazy about it, but I can appreciate some aspects of the game a bit more now.

The 60FPS on PS5 does elevate the experience by a lot, the performance on PS4 was one of my biggest issues at launch and with all the patches and the 60FPS patch, it's beautiful.

The game is drop dead gorgeous, one of the best looking open world games. I'm in awe at the fidelity of the assets and textures of the environments. Great image quality too.

I also do like Deacon's performance, the way he speaks is unconventional when compared to most other game protags and I like it.

Really, if the game wasn't so damn long (only in chapter 3 so far and I feel the fatigue settling in) and if it wasn't so tedious at times with the resource, management and gas, I would enjoy it more. I get that it's a survival game, but I'm mostly playing for the story, to blast as zombies and explore the world. I'll continue to boot up and play the game on the occasional time when I feel like it, but I'm not beating it anytime soon.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Well, Cyberpunk gave me interesting quests, Tsushima has amazing combat from the start, Days Gone has... Well... Nothing for me at least. In these few hours ofc.
Actually, what's considered as this tutorial-like opening stretches for a dozen hours or more; and what's equally questionable: most of the characters and storylines explored during this considerable time are totally disconnected from the main conflict, never again (or rarely) integrated in your progress. It all redounds to this feeling of why exactly the whole endeavour is so long and slow.

You could always go back to it, but really, if the beginning didn't hold your attention, what comes next won't do much to change it. At that point, there are better ways to invest your leisure time.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
One of the few games I dropped due to how boring everything was.
Glad you're enjoying it OP.