• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Once Dark Souls clicked for me I really loved it, but it took at least 5-6 hours before I felt like I had even a basic handle on things.

I still used a guide to tell me what I needed to be doing and help if I got stuck at certain points and needed tips (like how good Havel's(?) ring was and where to get it).

But once I had the basics of how best to level my character, upgrading weapons, what items do what, and how to fix status effects, it was a really incredible experience.

There's just so many memorable locations burned into my brain from having died and run through them over and over. I didn't even do everything in it, I missed the whole DLC and skipped several of the bosses.

These days I'm not sure I have the time or patience go through a Souls-like game again sadly. Tried to get into Dark Souls 2 and just couldn't feel like I could get into the gameplay loop like I used to.
Skill kinda want to try out Sekiro one of these days, maybe I'll try it next time it's on sale.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Just done the Duke's Archives and killed Seath, so I guess, for this weekend at least, I'm back on my one 'one boss a day' pace :D

nice. which one did you kill first? i think i'm the only person here who saved ornstein for last

Yeah, I took out Ornstein first, as he was easier to isolate thanks to that lunging move he does.

Once Dark Souls clicked for me I really loved it, but it took at least 5-6 hours before I felt like I had even a basic handle on things.

I still used a guide to tell me what I needed to be doing and help if I got stuck at certain points and needed tips (like how good Havel's(?) ring was and where to get it).

But once I had the basics of how best to level my character, upgrading weapons, what items do what, and how to fix status effects, it was a really incredible experience.

There's just so many memorable locations burned into my brain from having died and run through them over and over. I didn't even do everything in it, I missed the whole DLC and skipped several of the bosses.

These days I'm not sure I have the time or patience go through a Souls-like game again sadly. Tried to get into Dark Souls 2 and just couldn't feel like I could get into the gameplay loop like I used to.
Skill kinda want to try out Sekiro one of these days, maybe I'll try it next time it's on sale.

Yeah, it definitely helped having a friend to give me some fairly cryptic hints, which helped me find a bit of footing without spoiling things for me! He hasn't given me any boss tips, as I want to figure them out for myself and solo them, but he gave me some, I guess, starter tips like the things you've mentioned.

I definitely think Sekiro will be the next one I do, but I'll take a bit of a break first, I think!

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I decided to explore a bit more around Darkroot today, and now the Moonlight Butterfly and Hydra lay dead at my feet.

At some point I'm going to have to stop dawdling and either go down into ghost town or skelly avenue, aren't I...