• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Have fun lol.
I really struggled with Blighttown. Not so much the difficulty of the area itself, but the frame rate coupled with the fact I basically slipped off a platform and skipped like 50% of the area made it super confusing when it came to figuring out where the hell I was supposed to go. It was one of the rare times I had to ask for help with the game.
Remastered on PC does away with the framerate problem, and it makes a world of difference. I'd prefer to run through Blighttown three times over than do Tomb of Giants or Lost Izalith once each.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Remastered on PC does away with the framerate problem, and it makes a world of difference. I'd prefer to run through Blighttown three times over than do Tomb of Giants or Lost Izalith once each.
Yeah, it was a much smoother experience on Remastered lol. I genuinely enjoy Blighttown though: it's one of the stronger areas on the game for me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I recently returned to this myself. I bought the remaster. The last time I played the game was on PS3 and I never played the DLC. I used to think it was a masterpiece, but honestly my opinion has changed now. It's still incredible but it takes a bit of a dive after Anor Londo. Tomb of Giants is overly sadistic imo, Four Lords is a bad boss fight, and Lost Izalith in general just completely awful and who knows what they were even thinking. The DLC was short but good, with two of the most challenging bosses in the series imo.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
It took falling deeply, deeply in love with Sekiro (my favorite action game ever) and a feeling of having missed out to finally go back this year with Remastered. I'm glad I did. I still think the game is flawed and unnecessarily obtuse, and I still think fans of the series will crawl over broken glass to make flimsy defenses of some of its jank and cruelty, but it is a remarkable game. The DLC bosses, in particular, are superb.

I am really interested in Sekiro, the setting appeals. I did actually ask my friend if it might be a good starting point considering I was already drawn to the setting. He said, "lol no."

I'm definitely going to get it at some point, though.

Have fun lol.
I really struggled with Blighttown. Not so much the difficulty of the area itself, but the frame rate coupled with the fact I basically slipped off a platform and skipped like 50% of the area made it super confusing when it came to figuring out where the hell I was supposed to go. It was one of the rare times I had to ask for help with the game.

It's not been too bad so far... A bit frustrating getting knocked off platforms to my doom (and I swear to god these enemies just keep coming from nowhere sometimes!). I've made it to the second bonfire so far, and left it there for now. Now I see why my friend told me to go back to the Asylum for a ring...

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
I am really interested in Sekiro, the setting appeals. I did actually ask my friend if it might be a good starting point considering I was already drawn to the setting. He said, "lol no."

I'm definitely going to get it at some point, though.

I'm not sure I agree with your friend, in a lot of ways Sekiro can be the best From Software game to start with. It's less obtuse than Souls games, and veteran Souls players sometimes have a harder time getting it to "click" than new players, because the Souls muscle memory is really difficult to overcome. Of course, no harm in going back to it after you play a few Souls games either (it'll just be a mental shift for a bit to stop trying to play it the same way).

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm not sure I agree with your friend, in a lot of ways Sekiro can be the best From Software game to start with. It's less obtuse than Souls games, and veteran Souls players sometimes have a harder time getting it to "click" than new players, because the Souls muscle memory is really difficult to overcome. Of course, no harm in going back to it after you play a few Souls games either (it'll just be a mental shift for a bit to stop trying to play it the same way).

He said he found it the most frustrating of all of From's games (I believe the words he used were, "there were times I wanted to tear my hair out" :D ), but I suspect there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. To a lesser extent, the different button mapping in Code Vein was really throwing me off for the first couple of hours of Dark Souls.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
He said he found it the most frustrating of all of From's games (I believe the words he used were, "there were times I wanted to tear my hair out" :D ), but I suspect there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. To a lesser extent, the different button mapping in Code Vein was really throwing me off for the first couple of hours of Dark Souls.
I have a friend who has been through almost all the Souls games + BB, and he couldn't quite grasp Sekiro. He admits that he probably fought against it a bit more than he should have as opposed to trying to play it like a Souls game. I found it interesting in the Sekiro OT that a lot of FromSoft first-timers found Sekiro to be pretty easy to grasp, while a lot of us who came from the rest of the games found it took a long time to come to grips with. But when we did, hoo boy, what a ride. Some of the best and most intense boss fights I've ever experienced!

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018

Yeah, Sekiro is an odd one. For some people it's immensely frustrating, and for some people it just clicks. I've found that new players seem to more often land in that second bucket, which is interesting. Sekiro is all about forward momentum and parrying and the combat is almost a rhythm game. It's a big mental shift coming from Souls, even more than just the different button mappings.

Definitely check it out regardless though, because it's easily one of From Software's best games.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Well, I made it to Quelaag, but I'm not really getting anywhere with this fight. It's getting late though, so concentration might be slipping. I'll come back to it tomorrow, but it does throw off my 'one boss a day' pace D:

I have a friend who has been through almost all the Souls games + BB, and he couldn't quite grasp Sekiro. He admits that he probably fought against it a bit more than he should have as opposed to trying to play it like a Souls game. I found it interesting in the Sekiro OT that a lot of FromSoft first-timers found Sekiro to be pretty easy to grasp, while a lot of us who came from the rest of the games found it took a long time to come to grips with. But when we did, hoo boy, what a ride. Some of the best and most intense boss fights I've ever experienced!
Yeah, Sekiro is an odd one. For some people it's immensely frustrating, and for some people it just clicks. I've found that new players seem to more often land in that second bucket, which is interesting. Sekiro is all about forward momentum and parrying and the combat is almost a rhythm game. It's a big mental shift coming from Souls, even more than just the different button mappings.

Definitely check it out regardless though, because it's easily one of From Software's best games.

Definitely sounds like there's something in the idea of coming at it with fresh eyes, then. I'm wondering if it might be best to check Sekiro out next, rather than go through three Dark Souls games and get stuck in my ways! Honestly though, I'll probably need a bit of a break after this one, haha.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Queelag is a cool fight. If you pay attention to her fiery aura, you'll notice that right when it brightens up, she attacks after her wind-up. So it's pretty easy to dodge her.

Sekiro is definitely tough at first coming from Souls. For one, dodging isn't nearly as good in Sekiro and I kept trying to do that. At the end of the day I might have found it a bit easier though. It can kind of be cheesed by doing attack, attack, parry. It feels like every enemy falls for that attack pattern, especially humanoid bosses.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
\o/

sgjzD2M.jpg

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

I took a break yesterday to play If found, but on Tuesday I beat Quelaag, got a fire keeper soul in Blighttown, went back and beat Havel, and then got knocked off a thin walkway with swinging axes thanks to some terrible, terrible lizardmen :(

Oh yeah, and I went back to Firelink and the fire keeper was dead and so was the bonfire :(

Sep 29, 2020
I'm on the fence on the X1 version, are there still people playing this or am I screwed if I need to summon for help?

wildmike85

Oct 25, 2017
I took a break yesterday to play If found, but on Tuesday I beat Quelaag, got a fire keeper soul in Blighttown, went back and beat Havel, and then got knocked off a thin walkway with swinging axes thanks to some terrible, terrible lizardmen :(

Oh yeah, and I went back to Firelink and the fire keeper was dead and so was the bonfire :(
Perfect :]

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes you just need that extra nudge from a friend or a piece of information to help at the beginning of your journey and get over that seemingly impossible hump. At least I know I did, and now Dark Souls is one of my favorite games ever!

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah, I'd made it to that bonfire just before I made that post, haha. Some kind soul had left a message on the ground.

Just had my first crack at the boss. I blocked his attack, and it did me no damage, but it also knocked me clean off the roof to my death 😅

blockhead1700

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I'd made it to that bonfire just before I made that post, haha. Some kind soul had left a message on the ground.

Just had my first crack at the boss. I blocked his attack, and it did me no damage, but it also knocked me clean off the roof to my death 😅

If you want to completely destroy the boss of Sen's, summon the NPC Black Iron Tarkus for the fight and watch the chaos occur.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
If you want to completely destroy the boss of Sen's, summon the NPC Black Iron Tarkus for the fight and watch the chaos occur.

If I get stuck, I might do. Haven't actually summoned yet.

So far, I've killed myself more times than the boss has, by accidentally rolling off the roof 😅 At least the run back to the boss is uneventful!

Oct 25, 2017
Queelag is a cool fight. If you pay attention to her fiery aura, you'll notice that right when it brightens up, she attacks after her wind-up. So it's pretty easy to dodge her.

Sekiro is definitely tough at first coming from Souls. For one, dodging isn't nearly as good in Sekiro and I kept trying to do that. At the end of the day I might have found it a bit easier though. It can kind of be cheesed by doing attack, attack, parry. It feels like every enemy falls for that attack pattern, especially humanoid bosses.

IMO Queelag is the best boss fight in the game, and is one of the only ones in the original DS that feels like real non-cheese boss fight regardless of what spec the player is. On top of that, it has the fewest camera issues due to the layout of the room and walls.

DS2/DS3 really remedied a lot of problems that DS1 has with its boss fights, either due to build balance or camera problems.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
just beat it for the first time a couple of months ago, and had a similar experience

i always thought the phrase "git gud" was a little ridiculous. the game requires observation and patience. "git methodical" is more like it. honestly a lot of the discourse around the game put me off--not here, where people are pretty helpful. other places

anyway, i went right into demon's souls and now bloodborne. i'm hooked!

e: i thought the beginning of anor londo was the hardest for non-combat reasons. i didn't think the boss was the toughest in the game, just as with almost every other boss don't get greedy. good luck!

Aug 12, 2019
just beat it for the first time a couple of months ago, and had a similar experience

i always thought the phrase "git gud" was a little ridiculous. the game requires observation and patience. "git methodical" is more like it. honestly a lot of the discourse around the game put me off--not here, where people are pretty helpful. other places

e: i thought the beginning of anor londo was the hardest for non-combat reasons. i didn't think the boss was the toughest in the game, just as with almost every other boss don't get greedy. good luck!

I usually use Git Gud with my friends after actually explaining what they need to do for fun, because as much as Souls is about understanding the mechanics and ideas, it's also about getting a feel of how to play the game, what you can roll through with I frames and what you cannot, and the rhythm of the game as a whole.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018

I didn't click with the Souls games (though they're starting to click now), but Sekiro grabbed me. I felt it was somewhat closer to games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, even though the combat is quite different. Whatever the cause, it's first From Soft I have actually finished.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I just reached Anor Londo as well, screw Sen's Fortress, even with the bonfire once you reach the top.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I usually use Git Gud with my friends after actually explaining what they need to do for fun, because as much as Souls is about understanding the mechanics and ideas, it's also about getting a feel of how to play the game, what you can roll through with I frames and what you cannot, and the rhythm of the game as a whole.
Well, saying that to your friends isn't internet discourse, that's different from telling a random asking for help to git gud when they really just need practical advice

doesn't really happen here but it's pretty common elsewhere

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
A tough level with great views and maybe the most iconic souls boss.

It's certainly a nice visual change of pace. Also, I now understand what people meant when talking about Code Vein ripping off Anor Londo :D

Hardest area and boss in the game. Good luck

Ha, thanks! I got to the bonfire and left it for now, getting through Sen's Fortress was enough for one day.

Well... that's a bit of a lie. Before that, I ran past all the enemies, in search of a bonfire, hoarding my 41,600 souls, accidentally stepped onto and then activated a lift instead, and then panic-rolled off of the life to my doom. Luckily I was able to reclaim my souls and get to the (very close!) bonfire.

Thanks! And congrats for your recent completion too :)

Yeah, I have to admit, in the years since it came out I have found the whole "git gud" thing a tad obnoxious. I think that's kind of highlighted now a bit, given what I mentioned in the OP and what you've echoed here, that it's more about being patient, observant and methodical. I guess it kind of started off as a playful thing, and then just got used so much that it seemed a bit obnoxious, I don't know. I do think the "git gud" sentiment does have a lot of potential to put people off though.

I just reached Anor Londo as well, screw Sen's Fortress, even with the bonfire once you reach the top.

Did you kill the giant thing throwing boulders? After I killed that, it made the run from the bonfire to the boss completely trivial. I guess it doesn't really matter now that you're past it though!

Man it's easy how easily I beat this notoriously difficult boss and area on my recent play through. It felt so good. Souls games are so damn good at teaching you how to git gud.

It's kind of impressive how quickly you get used to the areas and the challenges they contain. First time I tried to enter Sen's Fortress the lizardmen backed me all the way up to the bonfire as I slowly poked away at them. After that, I immediately got knocked off the first swinging blades platform because of the mage lizard thing. By the time I got to the roof, I was easily getting past everything, when just an hour or so before it seemed completely impossible.

In the spirit of that, I would like to offer up: "git perseverant"

Mar 22, 2019
In the interests of getting the platinum for this I booted it up on my ps5, downloaded my cloud save game from original run and decided to launch into NG+.

I didn't pay any attention to trophies or anything first time around. It after getting the Demon Souls Remake and Sekiro Platinums recently I'm feeling motivated!

Whats the best platinum walkthrough to follow for dark souls remastered?

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
In the interests of getting the platinum for this I booted it up on my ps5, downloaded my cloud save game from original run and decided to launch into NG+.

I didn't pay any attention to trophies or anything first time around. It after getting the Demon Souls Remake and Sekiro Platinums recently I'm feeling motivated!

Whats the best platinum walkthrough to follow for dark souls remastered?

I got the platinum a few weeks ago and I used this fantasic video walkthrough:

You still have to do 2,5 playthroughs for the platinum, but this guide focuses on getting all trophies with minimum hassle.

May 10, 2019
I just wrapped up DS3 the other night, including Ashes of Ariandel/Ringed City DLC. Enjoyed all of it for the most part but the Darkeater Midir boss had a health bar a mile long that became an endurance test.

I'm going to start DS1 after Hitman 2 but have been enjoying reading your experience with it so far. Its making me even more excited about my future playthrough, so thank you for sharing.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Did you kill the giant thing throwing boulders? After I killed that, it made the run from the bonfire to the boss completely trivial. I guess it doesn't really matter now that you're past it though!
Sorry, forgot to reply to that, indeed I killed that giant prior to fighting the boss. It wasn't very complicated and indeed it made that run easier.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Made it past the archers (late) last night. I think I was stuck on that one part for well over an hour, and I honestly think I basically got lucky getting past it, as I did exactly the same strategy a handful of times beforehand and it just didn't work. Basically, I decided to ignore the knight on the left and try and parry and knock down the right archer. I parried him twice, and thankfully he fell off when getting up the second time. That didn't happen before, even when I parried him in the exact same spot on the ledge. Also, the left knight decided to ignore me on my victorious run - previously, he had moved up his ledge and shot me in the back after I got the second parry in, and knocked me off.

I'm not gonna lie. That section very nearly soured me on the entire game. I was genuinely very, very close to uninstalling the game in a storm of swear words.

Sorry, forgot to reply to that, indeed I killed that giant prior to fighting the boss. It wasn't very complicated and indeed it made that run easier.

I have a habit of looking up boss strategies after I beat them (I guess to see if I properly figured it out?), and apparently that giant can throw boulders into the boss arena if you don't kill it first!?

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Congrats on triumphing over the archers! It was the single most frustrating part of my first run. There are, of course, ways to trivialize that encounter, but going through it the first time was hellish. The worst part for me was that it didn't seemed like much just looking at the situation. Then I started dying and dying and at some point I just felt I was doing something wrong. Don't quite remember how I did it, but I think I went for the knight on the left first and got lucky.

Good luck with the boss! I don't think I'll ever forget the music.

Embrodak

Oct 30, 2017
Grats on getting past the archers. I got very lucky on my LTTP run (which I ended this weekend). Basically switching to my 2-handed overhead swing with the Black Knight Sword worked the first time. Horizontal swings just knocked me clean off the ridge.

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I started just running past the enemies on the way back to the archers after a while, which, honestly, probably just added to my frustration; I'd occasionally get hit by one of those winged enemies and get knocked to my death and have to start again. Again. So then when I made it to the archers just to immediately die... there was certainly some rage there.

I did try going for the left knight a few times, and did manage to kill that one a couple of times. But, again, it seemed like a bit of a crapshoot. I would try to circle around him to get lower on the platform and a few times, even when I was basically right up in their face, the knight wouldn't switch to the sword, and just arrowed me off the side of the platform. Drove me legitimately mad.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Made it past the archers (late) last night. I think I was stuck on that one part for well over an hour, and I honestly think I basically got lucky getting past it, as I did exactly the same strategy a handful of times beforehand and it just didn't work. Basically, I decided to ignore the knight on the left and try and parry and knock down the right archer. I parried him twice, and thankfully he fell off when getting up the second time. That didn't happen before, even when I parried him in the exact same spot on the ledge. Also, the left knight decided to ignore me on my victorious run - previously, he had moved up his ledge and shot me in the back after I got the second parry in, and knocked me off.

I'm not gonna lie. That section very nearly soured me on the entire game. I was genuinely very, very close to uninstalling the game in a storm of swear words.

I have a habit of looking up boss strategies after I beat them (I guess to see if I properly figured it out?), and apparently that giant can throw boulders into the boss arena if you don't kill it first!?

Interesting, I guess it's possible and it would make the Iron Golem more difficult, as otherwise he is not too complicated to kill.

For the archers I ended up doing exactly the same as you. I tried to kill the guy on the left and it simply wasn't working, I managed to kill him once but then the other sniped me down. So I just ran directly to the right, got a bit lucky killing the archer there, and didn't even bother going back for the other one. This section, together with getting to the top of Sen's fortress, was definitely annoying the hell out of me. I usually heard about Blightown being annoying, but that part seemed alright to me, I guess it also had to do with the terrible performance in the original X360/PS3 release.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Great series, but I wouldn't suggest playing them back to back, take some time after completing one or you might get waned off. I beat Bloodborne a couple of months before my first playthrough of demons souls remastered and I think that game kinda ruined my demons souls playthrough.

I'd also suggest playing Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne last

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Grats on getting past the archers. I got very lucky on my LTTP run (which I ended this weekend). Basically switching to my 2-handed overhead swing with the Black Knight Sword worked the first time. Horizontal swings just knocked me clean off the ridge.

Congrats! Yeah, my issue was that I just couldn't stay up there to fight the right knight without the left one shooting me in the back. As I say, I think I basically just got lucky that he didn't bother that one time. Genuinely felt like pure chance.

Interesting, I guess it's possible and it would make the Iron Golem more difficult, as otherwise he is not too complicated to kill.

For the archers I ended up doing exactly the same as you. I tried to kill the guy on the left and it simply wasn't working, I managed to kill him once but then the other sniped me down. So I just ran directly to the right, got a bit lucky killing the archer there, and didn't even bother going back for the other one. This section, together with getting to the top of Sen's fortress, was definitely annoying the hell out of me. I usually heard about Blightown being annoying, but that part seemed alright to me, I guess it also had to do with the terrible performance in the original X360/PS3 release.

Yeah, my main cause of death during the Iron Golem fight was accidentally rolling off the platform. Wasn't a hard fight at all when I just stayed in the middle and kept under/slightly behind him. Can't imagine what it would have been like with explosive boulders raining down, though!

The archers has easily been the most frustrating part for me. Sen's is a bit sadistic, but basically trial and error, but this seemed like 90% luck. And yeah, I always heard about Blighttown being awful, but I didn't mind it. I guess the main thing was the frame rate. Poor performance probably made it a lot easier to get knocked off ledges (not that I didn't fall a few times myself, haha).

Great series, but I wouldn't suggest playing them back to back, take some time after completing one or you might get waned off. I beat Bloodborne a couple of months before my first playthrough of demons souls remastered and I think that game kinda ruined my demons souls playthrough.

I'd also suggest playing Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne last

Yeah, I think I'll definitely need a break in between the games, though I am curious to see the progression of the series over the last decade. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to play Bloodborne it'll have been updated for PS5 (and I'll have the console).

OP
OP
In Amber Clad

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I beat Lautrec earlier, that took a few attempts. I've also had a few pokes at Ornstein & Smough, just to feel out the fight, rather than expecting to beat it. Last run I had, I beat Ornstein, then Smough spun up in the air and sat on me.

My pace has definitely dropped since reaching Anor Londo; those archers have soured me a bit, so even though I'm past them, I just haven't been playing the game as much, and it feels like my progress has stalled a bit. I might play something else for a few days and come back to it.