• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So I played Demon's Souls to completion 7 years ago and since played sporadically half of Dark Souls and then Bloodborne - both having such terrible streaks of boss battles that I quit after contemplating I wasn't having any fun anymore. A friend of mine motivated me to start 3, though, so here we are.

I finished the base game and defeated all bosses other than the Demon King which I didn't feel was worth tracking down after checking up on what I've missed on my playthrough. Some random thoughts:

- it is the most flawless Souls game experience; it stays consistent throughout every inch unlike every other From Software game. No truly awful boss battle, consistently solid level and enemy design, solid art design/graphics, a great deal of build variety and nice sound design accompanied by a good score.
- but you also might call it the most inoffensive Souls game to date. The bosses don't do anything you haven't seen in previous games already, more than ever short cuts are always incredibly telegraphed by the same levers/locked doors/elevators, the enemy design is in almost all facets a complete retreat of past games, and the art design and thematic settings are iterative to the point of absurdity. While trying to make as few mistakes as possible they also did try to take as few risks as possible. What you then get may be a consistently good but rather unremarkable experience.
- item placement is way too neat and tidy which heavily reminded me of Sekiro (which I called quits after beating the third boss) but is a bigger eyesore in a RPG. It felt like you were on-rails on which items you can and can't get all the time in comparison to past games. This is, of course, also in part of its more linear nature in general but both aren't mutual entities.
- I don't see any reason why you can't level up and do other systematic things at bonfires and have to instead always teleport back to the shrine. This has been cumbersome in basically every Souls game and it's still here.
- the story and characters are also rather uninspiring but they aren't intrusive either so it's whatever
- there is a reason why I finished this game and didn't Bloodborne or Dark Souls though. Inoffensive is the right term as in there wasn't any roadblock and there wasn't anything stopping me from having fun. There were no bad boss battles, no bad areas or even bad moments in general (other than the utterly bullshit black serpent-like monstrosities that come out of a very few ordinary enemies). I was enjoying it from beginning to end.

Nameless King is my favorite boss in the game and Lothric Castle my favorite location. The first had a great cinematic feel which I enjoyed and the latter reminded me of the Hyrule Castle raid from Wind Waker which is one of my favorite moments from that game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Beautiful 9/10 best Souls game , fast paced , awesome bosses, graphics and music , story is whatever because you are only fighting monsters , evil priests and zombies.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
The Souls series is the harshest critically assessed series in all of gaming because their worth is only ever determined by comparing them directly to other Souls games.

Give any other game with DS3's combat, depth, art direction, music and level design an 8/10 and you'd be called crazy.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Only played BB, DS1 and DS3.

But out of them DS3 by far have the best bosses (both narrative-wise and gameplay-wise).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it. I'm sure someone will tell me how I'm wrong, but I didn't like how playing as a magic user felt like I was at an immediate disadvantage. Same with if I liked using shields, since it seemed like there were a lot of enemies that had damn-near limitless stamina and really fast wind-ups. That being said, that second DLC was terrific, and there were some really great boss encounters with a nice bump in graphical quality across the board. For me to still have such favorable thoughts on it after going through BB, DeS, PtDE, and SotFS says something about the overall magic and appeal of these games.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Besides the fact that is partially redundant compared to its predecessor, it's lacking the circular level design of DS1, and has an over-reliance on bonfires and fast travel (these aren't necessarily insignificant things mind you) it's by far the best Dark Souls game to the point where I don't really even want to go back or even recommend the original Dark Souls while DS3 exists. It's basically a better version of DS1 besides the unfortunate level design stuff listed above.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity is this game dead online? I recently started it up again because I never finished it. I haven't seen any summon signs at all and no one answered mine.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
DS3 is underrated. So many great bosses and memorable locations. It refined the gameplay over time and has the best pacing and combat as well.
The DLC is also incredibly good

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity is this game dead online? I recently started it up again because I never finished it. I haven't seen any summon signs at all and no one answered mine.
What platform? The player base on PC has been remarkably stable (still get 10K+ concurrent players at peak times on weekends, with 5-8K on weekdays).

You may just be in an area without much activity (they added indicators to the warp menu to show where the biggest concentrations of players are).

DS3 is underrated. So many great bosses and memorable locations. It refined the gameplay over time and has the best pacing and combat as well.
It's really not. It's by far the best selling and most played game in the series.

Don't take a few persistent loud voices as some indicator of overall opinion.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What platform? The player base on PC has been remarkably stable (still get 10K+ concurrent players at peak times on weekends, with 5-8K on weekdays).

You may just be in an area without much activity (they added indicators to the warp menu to show where the biggest concentrations of players are).

It's really not. It's by far the best selling and most played game in the series.

PS4

I might have to restart if no one can help me. I chose a sorcerer and I'm weak af

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
I strongly recommended playing the DLC too. It feature some of FROM best boss design and include extra multiplayer mode

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC is also incredibly good
I just started a new play through on PS4 a few days ago and it's still really active. Had no problems summoning, being summoned and invaded.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, not counting Bloodborne to me it has the best combat in the Souls series, very smooth.

May 17, 2019
Dark Souls 1 > Demon Souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2 > Dark Souls 3

D3 is frustrating and incoherent in lore, masturbatory in difficulty, repetitive in bosses, bland in environments, and aggravating in multiplayer. Not to mention the loss of the series soul in combat.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I am replaying the game now and I hate the floaty feeling of movement.

I am wearing heavy armor and it feels lighter than a BB character.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the only DS i never finished. difficulty really is no joke with this one... i'm sure somebody will come along and say they beat NG+++ in five minutes wearing a sack or whatever. though i beat DS1 and 2 with relative ease and this one shredded me

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
the only DS i never finished. difficulty really is no joke with this one... i'm sure somebody will come along and say they beat NG+++ in five minutes wearing a sack or whatever. though i beat DS1 and 2 with relative ease and this one shredded me
I find it weird when people say that DS3 is easy (something I have heard a lot), because by most measurable metrics it is much more difficult than DS1. The enemies in 3 have far more aggressive AI and wider movesets (including form changes on a lot of bosses), you start the game with little Estus like DS2 but you don't have any lifegems, etc. The only thing that makes it easier is that you have more freedom to roll thanks to the overall faster speed and lower cost but my experience was certainly not that you could spam roll to get through all your problems.

Anyways I haven't gotten to finish this game (played it on my brother's computer when he was visiting this game and couldn't finish it before he left), but playing this was a little strange. It's a well-made game and very consistent in quality from what I played, but given what I heard about it being much more like DS1 and DeS (which is true in general), I was a little surprised that it kept some design changes from 2, like the shorter walk to bonfires and the larger density of enemies. Sometimes it got to be a little ridiculous, like that room at the bottom of Irithyll dungeon with like 10+ jailers (why?).

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one boss left in DS3 that I haven't beaten and it's Orphan of Kos, the DLC boss. I am also over-leveled relative to most people at this point yet he still kicks my ass. I gave up.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Dark Souls Remastered, after not having played it in years, and it really shines the a light on just how good DS3 really is. The first game has the best interconnected world of the series, but other than that 3 out does it in every other category. In my head it was always DeS>DS>DS3>DS2 but now I'm wondering if Demon's Souls would hold up to scrutiny if it were available on current gen to compare to like DS:R, and I'm thinking DS3 really is the best of the series.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think they mean on this forum, in which case they're not wrong. I've seen Dark Souls III get a lot of flak thrown its way and get labeled as the "most forgettable" of the series so many times here simply because it rehashes some locations and characters from its predecessors, when in reality it's one of very best Soulsborne titles in many ways.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Nah, it's definitely pretty hard. Harder than all their other games, probably. Bosses have a ton of HP, very deep movesets and hit hard. The DLC bosses in particular are brutal.

A lot of regular enemies are pretty difficult as well, what with long combos, delayed attacks, tracking attacks and more limited defensive options for the player, since poise is nerfed, damage reduction on armor is insignificant and parries are superhumanly difficult.

It is a great game; very polished and a beauty to behold. The fact that it is so linear really brings it down several pegs for me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The enemies in 3 have far more aggressive AI and wider movesets

this is pretty much what did me in. not a complaint as i felt guilty nearly cheesing (and in some cases straight up chessing) my way around enemies in past games. i'm glad it's so much more dynamic but brass tacks i only have so much time and patience these days

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it along with the Ringed City DLC and I thought it was an amazing game, although some of the encounters in the Ringed City were a little tiresome for me, I stopped having fun fighting tooth and nail to progress and instead started to get impatient.

I only summon as a last resort but I did in the Ringed City because to be honest I was done with the game and just wanted it over and done with.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird when people say that DS3 is easy (something I have heard a lot), because by most measurable metrics it is much more difficult than DS1. The enemies in 3 have far more aggressive AI and wider movesets (including form changes on a lot of bosses), you start the game with little Estus like DS2 but you don't have any lifegems, etc. The only thing that makes it easier is that you have more freedom to roll thanks to the overall faster speed and lower cost but my experience was certainly not that you could spam roll to get through all your problems.

Anyways I haven't gotten to finish this game (played it on my brother's computer when he was visiting this game and couldn't finish it before he left), but playing this was a little strange. It's a well-made game and very consistent in quality from what I played, but given what I heard about it being much more like DS1 and DeS I was a little surprised that it kept some design changes from 2, like the shorter walk to bonfires and the larger density of enemies. Sometimes it got to be a little ridiculous, like that room at the bottom of Irithyll dungeon with like 10+ jailers (why?).

Nioh is why this game (and Bloodbourne) was significantly easier for me than earlier titles. Aggressive and fast is what Nioh is all about and playing these games after WotN was like cheating.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am replaying the game now and I hate the floaty feeling of movement.

I am wearing heavy armor and it feels lighter than a BB character.
Agreed, I could never enjoy the lightweight character.
Also the ton of stamina made rolling and taking a strategic approach in combat practically pointless.

The weakest and most overrated Souls game.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
for me it's 10/10 but I haven't played any of the other Soulsborne games

loved DS3 even though I cheated through the whole game (too hard for me)

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Only one I never finished - the structure, the art direction and bosses never did much for me. Allmost every boss seems to have some multiple opponents twist. I honestly just love getting toe-to-toe with a single enemy, but I remember everything after the Crystal Sage being some kind of mob fight.