• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So last year I played through my first ever FromSoftware game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I had stayed away from their games cause of their reputation for being so difficult (I suck at video games) but the style and setting of Sekiro really appealed to me a lot so I bought it at launch and played through it to completion. It was the first game I've ever got 100% achievements/all trophies for (I typically dgaf about achievements) and is my favorite game of all time or at the very least the last decade or so.
So with Sekiro down, I decided I would work through FromSoftware's back catalog of the SoulsBourne series starting with Dark Souls Remastererd. I even made a thread about it here
https://www.resetera.com/threads/er...rk-souls-give-me-all-the-tips-you-got.115027/
I didn't really like the game at first, I nearly dropped it after around 5 hours but I stuck with it and eventually beat it while taking out every boss in the game (including any optional and DLC bosses).
A few weeks ago I saw both Dark Souks II Scholar of the First Sin and Dark Souls III Deluxe Edition available on sale on the Microsoft store so I finally picked them up.
Dark Souls II has quite the reputation for being "the worst Souls game" and even being a bad game outright in some fans eyes. It also seems to be a common opinion that Scholar of the First Sin is seen as a downgrade from the vanilla version. Well I can't speak to that, since I've never played the original but I wound up loving this game and absolutely consider it an upgrade over the original game.

The first thing I noticed was stepping out into Majula after the tutorial area. It was gorgeous. It looked so much better than every area in the original Dark Souls to me. I really didn't think the areas in the original Dark Souls were much to write home about aesthetically outside of Anor London and the Archives but right away in the sequel you get this gorgeous hub and I think overall the areas in the entire game look really great. Heide's Tower is another one that is really breathtaking when you arrive for me.
No onto the gameplay, it is mostly the same as the first game. Which is why I'm a little surprised so many people seem to hold it in such low regard as I don't feel like they really reinvented the wheel here. It feels a lot like the original game. Weighty combat that punishes you hard for mistakes and greed and rewards patience, timing and pattern recognition.
I do agree with the sentiment that the bosses aren't as cool looking as the original game. Like, there is nothing here that looks as cool as the Gaping Dragon or Seath the Scaleless but there sure are way more of them. There are 41 bosses in this game compared to 26 in the original (this is including the DLC). I know people will immediately start with "quality over quanitiy" but Dark Souls 1 had it's share of stinker bosses too and I actually think the quality of the bosses in 2 is pretty high for the most part.
Does the game have its share of bullshit? Of course it does, it's a Souls game. This game appears to specialize in large groups of enemies ganging up on you so you learn early to take it a bit slow when first exploring an area till you learn the enemy layout. The mobs can be infuriating at times but they're far from impossible to deal with.
I will also say I hated the optional areas of the DLC. The Iron Passage, Cave of the Dead and Frigid Outskirts are all short, annoying and the boss fights are uninspired re-skins or basically a fight against 3 invaders. Of all the bosses to re-skin, they had to do Smelter Demon too. That boss gave me such a hard time.
The main areas of the DLC were quite good though. With some of the bosses being the best in the game. Fume Knight took me forever to beat but was an epic battle. Sir Alonne was another awesome boss. Burnt Ivory King was somewhat cool but he feels a bit too easy after dealing with the Loyce Knight gauntlet prior (I had to do NPC summons for this, it's so hard solo even with finding all the Loyce Knight allies (their AI sucks)).

Favorite boss was Fume Knight.
Favorite area is Majula or Frozen Eleum Loyce.

Also the game has a crazy amount of content. Is this the biggest Souls game overall in terms of content? It took me 100 hours to finish (keep in mind I suck and died a lot)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I never understood the hate played SOFS on Xbox one at release and i enjoyed it more than the first game to be honest the only worse aspect were the bosses were not all as grand.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Was waiting for someone to make this thread.

Finishing my playthrough after a few years off, Dark Souls 2 is amazing. I might like it best in the Souls series.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
People that actively shit on Dark Souls 2 have poor taste in their Souls games. It's a fantastic entry that stands shoulder to shoulder with the rest.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the BEST Dark Souls. The world isn't supposed to make sense in terms of it's structure, time and space is kinda collapsing on itself from a lore perspective

Areas are fun and there is so much in the way of build variety and move sets.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
You are goddamn right, OP, and don't let the oncoming onslaught of haters tell you otherwise. I'll also add that it's the only game in the series with characters and a plot worth caring about.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Playing Scholar first over the original is always an experience I enjoy reading about, since I had played through the original several times by the time it came out. Heide's Tower in particular is so jarringly different in enemy layout that I instantly felt like it made a ton of changes just to fuck with people who played the original.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I played it and then replayed DS1 (1st time with Remastered) recently and I think I like 2 more. It definitely has lower lows, but higher highs too. It's wild, because I straight up didn't like DS2 for years and would drop it multiple times due to not liking it, but it finally clicked and might be my 2nd favorite now (after Bloodborne), will have to replay DS3 at some point though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Dark Souls II has my favourite story in the series and the second half of the game is pretty neat.

But boy it starts off rough, especially if you roll a low ADP character by mistake like I did before realising how important that attribute is.

It's a game where I think both the detractors and fans are sort of both correct, when it comes to its flaws and its qualities. I like it much more than DSIII, second best behind DSI

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the hate. I place all the Souls games (plus Bloodborne and Sekiro) as equals. They're all fucking amazing.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
It has issues and parts of it feel "off," but this was the first Souls game I played and I absolutely loved it at the time on PS3. It immediately made me start playing the others, one by one, which I don't think would have happened had people not said 2 was an easier pill to swallow than 1. I think DS1 and Bloodborne place above it for me, but I'll never understand people who flat out despise it.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I started a new playthrough last night. I love Dark Souls 2. I just finished up a good 40 hour run on Dark Souls Remastered and I had forgotten how much slower you move in Dark Souls 2 compared to the rest of the series. It's going to be an adjustment, but I know in a few hours, it'll feel right again. Gonna go for a strength build with the Mastodon Halberd. That thing is so damn good. It's my favorite weapon in the whole Souls series.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Haven't played SOTFS even though I bought it. I played Dark Souls 2 3 times over because it was so good so I never got around to it lol.

I liked it much more than either 1 or 3. I think my "ranking" would be something like Bloodborne > Dark Souls II = Demon's Souls = Sekiro > Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 3

They're all great games of course, but I strongly disagree with the hate people have for 2.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Dark Souls 2 is still the best Dark Souls to me. so much variety in enemies, bosses and builds, epic length and the 3 DLC areas are masterful. and that Majula theme...hauntingly beautiful.

the first one has a better and more coherent world design but falls flat in other areas and is just too slow, the last third of the game is basically unfinished and just there.

Dark Souls 3 is like a Bloodborne fanmod where someone built a "Best of all Souls" game, it is just not creative anymore and has severe "been here, done that" vibes.

but: Demon´s Souls is better than any Dark Souls.

when it comes to the Souls games to me it would go like:
Demon´s Souls>DS2>DS>DS3

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Its a really good game and i think it gets alot of undeserved hate, it might be worse than Dark souls at times but i also think it surpasses it in other areas. I had more fun with it than Dark Souls 3, mostly because DS3 felt like a fanservice game that tries too hard.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like DS2 had the strongest co-op in the whole series. I've have way more fun Sunbro-ing in DS2 than in any of the other games.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Love Dark Souls II. It has obvious issues, namely in some of the art direction and ESPECIALLY the animations, but I love it top to bottom otherwise. Tons of great, viable weapons to play with, magic is incredibly useful and fun, it has the best multiplayer functions in the series, and the DLC is terrific (especially Sunken King).

Also, the story and NPCs are severely underrated. Lucatiel, Benhart, Navlaan, Creighton, and Pate are up there with Solaire, Siegmeyer, and Lautrec. Emerald Herald is also the best level up hub maiden in the series by far.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I think discussing this game can be very exhausting, because on the one hand there's people who absolutely hate it, and find no redeeming qualities in it, but there's also people who can be quite reactionary and defensive about it, and can take no criticism of it in good faith.

I like the game, and I can find it enjoyable despite its many, many problems. A game can be unique and enjoyable and also be deeply flawed and I think is the case for DS2.

There are many great design decisions in Dark Souls 2, whether it be mechanics or QoL improvements, but for everyone of those there's another thing that makes you go "why would they do that?". It's a step forward and a step back.

• Weapon variety is top notch, and dual wielding is viable! And there's powerstance! But the game's movement system is inexplicably changed from Dark Souls 1, with a deadzone in the middle as you turn that's wider than the pit in Majula.
  • The game is super long and pretty open ended! But your i-Frames when rolling are tied to an stat and not leveling that stat can make the game a miserable experience.
  • Levels can be pretty long, and challenging. But there are so many Bonfires you'll practically be tripping over them.
  • There's a ton of cool bosses! But for every cool boss there's an abysmal one.
  • There's a ton of variety in Builds! But the hitboxes are the jankiest they've ever been.
  • Bonfire ascetics are awesome! But you can lock yourself out multiplayer without even realizing it due to Soul Memory.
  • Heide's Tower, Brume's Tower, Shrine of Amana and the Dragon Aerie look so cool. Some of the best looking locations in the series. But Harvest Valley, Shaded Woods and the Black Gulch look so bad they could be mistaken for a PS2 King's Field game.

This list goes on, and on.

I still prefer it to DS3, even if DS3 is a better looking, better playing, more polished game.

DS2 has the heart DS3 lacks, at the very least.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I have had the game installed for ages, it's only like 10/15Gb, but somehow always avoid trying it out due to general consensus.

Maybe I should.. but I think souls is fun when it's new (Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro)
Didn't really enjoy DS3 so doubt I'll enjoy this.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I feel like DS2 had the strongest co-op in the whole series. I've have way more fun Sunbro-ing in DS2 than in any of the other games.
And the PvP is actually competent! Like I played so many hours of multiplayer compared to the other entries.

Oh, and dual wielding 😍 This is the entry that broke me of my dependency on shields, which was great practice for Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Fuck I might actually play SOFTS on my PS5 when I get it lol.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Majula is probably my favourite hub area in all of their games so far. It was a breath of fresh air and the soundtrack to it was so nice.

But other than that I hated the game lol. So glad Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 came after it.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
And the PvP is actually competent! Like I played so many hours of multiplayer compared to the other entries.

Oh, and dual wielding 😍 This is the entry that broke me of my dependency on shields, which was great practice for Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Fuck I might actually play SOFTS on my PS5 when I get it lol.
I've never minded getting invaded in DS2 for that reason. Between the spacing of the bonfires, the quality of the PvP and the stability of the servers it was just a way better experience. Now you've got me thinking about doing a dual katana dexterity build instead of my mastodon halberd strength build. Hrm... Gonna think about that on the way home from work. I'm channeling all of my "Holy fuck Sony, why can't I find a goddamn PS5 so I can play Demon's Souls?!?" energy into a Souls series replay, and it has been a lot of fun so far.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I've never minded getting invaded in DS2 for that reason. Between the spacing of the bonfires, the quality of the PvP and the stability of the servers it was just a way better experience. Now you've got me thinking about doing a dual katana dexterity build instead of my mastodon halberd strength build. Hrm... Gonna think about that on the way home from work. I'm channeling all of my "Holy fuck Sony, why can't I find a goddamn PS5 so I can play Demon's Souls?!?" energy into a Souls series replay, and it has been a lot of fun so far.
The sadly watching Demon's Souls because no PS5 powered me to go platinum DS1 and 2 lol. I'd usually immediately nope out once covenant farming is required, but I think I'm subconsciously trying to burn myself out. I'm currently considering booting up DS3, so not working so far.

May 10, 2019
As I said in another thread were the OP had the opposite reaction to DS2 , I skipped it. Went from the original DS I played when it first released to this past week playing DS3 instead. Like you I came back by playing Sekiro but then Mortal Shell.

Liked them both and jumped into the DS3 deluxe edition and enjoying it. I will play DS2 at some point though but if I get a PS5, Demon Souls is the next one on the list.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's by far the worst game in the series, but it's still pretty good and better than most Soulslikes not made by From Software.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad game by any means but it has some baffling design choices, particularly with level layouts and enemy placement, which SotFS only amplified. I also don't buy the argument that the environments "aren't supposed to make sense" geographically when the devs went through the trouble of placing areas in the background of others when they don't line up at all with the actual level layouts.

It's still a good game and one worth playing, but I'd never say it's the best in the series. Probably near the bottom.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I loved DS2 when playing it back then, but I am having a hard time whenever I try to get back to it.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have so much better gameplay/bosses. It doesn't help that DS2 feels like such a hotchpotch when it comes to the different areas. Also, the graphics mostly haven't aged well.
Still a good game, but for me it's From's weakest.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love DS2 and I especially love the SOTFS version. It's probably not better than 1 and it's up there with 3 (and better than DeS), but all Souls games are awesome, really.

I love how big of a journey DS2 was, and I really liked the lore, more focused on the human drama on this fucked up world, instead of random gods shit that i couldn't give a damn.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Playing through demon souls, dark souls 2 feels more of a sequel to demon souls rather than dark souls.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
When I think of DS2, I think of that tower by the ocean(?) and you're on the ramparts and there is a room that has like 20 two-handed knights inside that all attack you at the same time.

The game is quantity over quality imo.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's always nice when someone else can see the light that is how good DS2 is. Glad you enjoyed your time with it OP!