• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Now-a-days, it's not super often that I'm genuinely surprised by a game. I often hear about a game long in advance and become distinctly aware that it's my thing before picking it up. I saw this game mentioned a tiny bit around September, and thought it looked interesting, so I slapped it on my wishlist and didn't really do anything. One of my good friends gifted it to me for Christmas seemingly on a whim, and I was like "I could use a nice short, <8 hour indie, so let me try this." Over 40 hours later, and I have finished one of the best games of 2018. Easily.

The setting is the MMO world of crossworlds and you play as an avatar named Lea who is going through this world in the hopes of regaining her lost memories. Almost as a joke to other JRPG like games, her "voice module" is broken which manifests itself as her not being able to talk properly unlike much of the other characters. Despite being just shy of a silent protagonist, Lea has an extremely present personality with a couple of small examples below:

smug:
ss_8faa006c279fc06b719f45a5165e918edf72920a.1920x1080.jpg

aghast/embarassed

She is a very expressive character, and it's hard not to root for her and the great side characters who make up this game. All of them are filled to the brim with charm and truly bring to life the idea of playing an online game with friends. The story itself is also quite excellent with some very good twists and turns. The only issue I can really think of as far as the story is concerned is that there occasionally can be fairly long stretches between story beats as the story will sometimes take a backseat to whatever the characters are doing in the in-game-world like dungeons.

With that being said, it doesn't particularly matter that much as the dungeons and gameplay in general are very, very good. The dungeons are very reminiscent of what you'd expect to see in a classic Zelda game, and similarly, they are extremely well put together. There were a lot of moments where you generally feel like a genius for solving a puzzle that looked daunting or even impossible upon first look.

The gameplay itself is a top down ARPG(you can see a very early area here as an example). That while not particularly inventive works very well and is a lot of fun to play around with especially when mixed with the game's puzzle elements during the boss fights. However, the most fun I had with the combat is probably during the "PvP" segments (light spoilers, but you get an idea) where you face against other "players"(in game characters) in the game. It's havoc and fighting against the players and each using your own set of special skills and dodging/guarding to get through it is such a great feeling.

Ultimately, I feel like I've heard very little about this game, and I wanted to hopefully put it on a few more people's radar. I saw another poster mention that this game is the Hollow Knight of 2018, and I kind of agree. The amount of good content is staggering, and the game is just excellently put together all around. Don't sleep on this, Era. Especially if you're a fan of JRPGs, you shouldn't be missing out.

Here's the steam link as that might show the game off better than I can. (It has a demo as well!)

Edit: Also on sale at humble until 1/24!

Last edited:

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
This is a nice game I'll probably never get to play if it doesn't releases on consoles.
I read somewhere the game has no chance of a port since it's a bunch of html/javascript.

It looks like a lot of fun.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the game overall but I can't say I care for a lot of the overworld fights. Too many mobs and too hectic. The game sings in the dungeons (when you're typically engaging 1-3 mobs at most) and on bosses though.

This is a nice game I'll probably never get to play if it doesn't releases on consoles.
I read somewhere the game has no chance of a port since it's a bunch of html/javascript.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Think this was explicitly the Switch version. I think they said PS4/ Xbox are planned, but the Switch verion will be very difficult.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it for the past week, it's really excellent. It's a game that feels really vast - lots of stuff to find in the overworld areas, tons of quests, lots of little details all over the place. But despite that, you more or less have full control of the pacing of all of it - how much you want to battle, how many quests you want to do, whether or not you progress with the main story.

The only real sticking point I think it will have for some people is that the dungeons are very "stuffed." They're long and packed to the brim with puzzles that border on excessive. The nice thing though is that they don't have to be done all at once (unless you want the speedrun achievement I guess).

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I own this but haven't played it yet, but after hearing it talked up on the Bombcast I finally went and took a look. Woof.

I really need to make time for this because it looks like a real gem.

OP
OP
Viale

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only real sticking point I think it will have for some people is that the dungeons are very "stuffed." They're long and packed to the brim with puzzles that border on excessive. The nice thing though is that they don't have to be done all at once (unless you want the speedrun achievement I guess).

Yeah, I could totally understand if someone came back and said they wanted the dungeons to be a bit shorter. I liked the puzzles in the dungeon a lot, but I was always very happy to see the end lol. I think it was remedied a bit with the breaks they set since you can just leave and explore more with new tools. The little chats with your "party members" during it also helped imo.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I've owned this game for years (I don't even remember how I got it at this point), but I just got around to playing it. I'm about 3 hours in and the combat just works so well. The developer's really had a good grasp of combat/movement, and it's just a joy to play. I don't know if I'll ever get to finish it, but I'm at least gonna spend a handful more hours playing.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to describe it, it'd be: Indie game with a very real budget behind it. Easily hits parallel with the top 2D games of the SNES and GBA era.

The amount of polish in this, the incredibly high quality feel of it, and the sheer amount of content, it's positively nuts. We're talking about some 40+ hours of main story here, potentially a lot more depending on how much time you personally want to spend on the side quests.

It's crazy to me this game hasn't reached the level of renown of games like Cosmic Star Heroine or Cave Story.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me this game hasn't reached the level of infamy of games like Cosmic Star Heroine or Cave Story.

Those are some weird examples. Crosscode is likely a decent amount more successful than CSH is at similar points, and has 10x as many owners on Steam.

CSH is criminally underrated.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are some weird examples. Crosscode is likely a decent amount more successful than CSH is at similar points, and has 10x as many owners on Steam.

CSH is criminally underrated.

I've been hearing about CSH from every which corner of the internet, same for Cave Story. CrossCode is barely mentioned anywhere.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I've owned this game for years (I don't even remember how I got it at this point), but I just got around to playing it. I'm about 3 hours in and the combat just works so well. The developer's really had a good grasp of combat/movement, and it's just a joy to play. I don't know if I'll ever get to finish it, but I'm at least gonna spend a handful more hours playing.
The enemies are another big highlight, which is especially impressive because so many people don't care about the basic enemies in action RPGs being interesting to fight.

Apr 9, 2018
This is the first indie "JRPG" I've played that feels like it's in the lineage of Falcom games rather than Square-Enix games. pretty good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this game in early access for a long time? I seem to recall having it on my wishlist for ages now. Anyway, Kotaku Splitscreen had a good segment on it. Seems super interesting. I'd love to play it soon.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing about CSH from every which corner of the internet, same for Cave Story. CrossCode is barely mentioned anywhere.
This likely has everything to do with it being only on PC at the moment. Hollow Knight didn't get real attention until it hit consoles thus why it's on a bunch of 2018 GOTY lists even though it released on PC a year earlier.

That said, I've heard CrossCode mentioned on more than a few podcasts lately.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This has been sitting on my wishlist from June 2016. I'll definitely get to it some day.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also gonna put my thoughts down in an LTTP thread at some point when I get the time, but I'm right there with you OP. This is easily my game of the year, and I'm still not quite finished with it.

It surprises me at every turn how well-executed, useful, polished, or just straight up good every aspect of it is. I had to put it down for a week or so, and when I came back yesterday I fell right back in love with it. The character work and execution on the MMO setting goes a long way towards drawing me in and keeping me entertained and smiling. And the music, good lord.

Anyway. Play this game, y'all.

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing this until I fell down the Into The Breach hole. It's pretty good so far, but not quite as addictive as ITB.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Excellent game indeed. I have trouble going back to it sometimes though, some of those dungeons are so long they can be a little... grueling. I play with a controller, too, and some of the ricochet puzzles requiring pixel-perfect alignment can be a bit frustrating.

Still, it's an incredibly high-quality game with tons of love and care put into it. People shouldn't sleep on it. I was proud to have backed them back in 2015!

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
I was blown away when I played the demo years ago. It's basically a fast-paced sci-fi 2D Zelda. However, I don't usually play games on computers, so I've been hoping it'd get released on consoles. It'd be a shame if they can't get it onto the Switch, as it'd do well with the 2D Zelda crowds.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for a console release to play this one but it looks like something I would love.

mèx

Dec 30, 2017
Italy
The only real sticking point I think it will have for some people is that the dungeons are very "stuffed." They're long and packed to the brim with puzzles that border on excessive.

This. The game is puzzle-intensive, from the dungeons to the overworld traversal (if you want to explore). Even if it takes inspiration from the good action jRPG of old, this is probably the most puzzle-intensive game of its type you will play. Additionally, I think the story takes some time to get going and it has some pacing issues in some places.

Regardless of that, it was one of the best games I played in 2018, took me around 60 hours to complete doing almost all side quests.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yessss I've been hoping someone would make a thread like this. Such an incredible game.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My GOTY 2018. Incredible title, and deserves every bit of acclaim.

Solving those puzzles...so satisfying.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an interesting game, hope to see a console port with an eventual physical reléase on LRG or something

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played it yet but I was following the development because the director made the best (unfinished) RPG maker game I've ever played, Velsarbor.
Glad to see so many positive reactions.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i have only heard good things about this game. I will play it this year for sure.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
Yessss I've been hoping someone would make a thread like this. Such an incredible game.

I checked out the demo and bought the game because of your tweet about this last Sunday!

I have enjoyed my time with the game so far I like the interaction between the npc's like you were playing with your real friends in a MMO.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This game has caught my attention from all the buzz and praise.

Hoping for a Switch version down the line if they find a way.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this and timespinner but I'm going through timezone first arm. Looking forward to playing this after

OP
OP
Viale

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Checked out the website, thought I'd confirm- is this Windows only?

Steam seems to imply that it's available on MacOS/Linux as well. If you're talking about PC only though, then yeah, it's only on PC with plans to come to PS4/XBOX One later.

Wasn't this game in early access for a long time? I seem to recall having it on my wishlist for ages now. Anyway, Kotaku Splitscreen had a good segment on it. Seems super interesting. I'd love to play it soon.

It was! Even now, though the game is released with a full story, the devs are still adding some additional content to the game like an arena, and some other post game things. I assume that's partly why the game's reception has been a bit muted imo is that people who have been following this for a while have played through bits and pieces of the game already.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Such a great game. Give it a try people! There is a demo, so no reason not to.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is SO good. I'm almost done with the desert dungeon. Lea is incredibly well done, it's amazing how the game expresses so much of her personality and language through a handful of words and expressions. The game is delightful and really captured the feeling of what it'll probably feel like to be in future MMOs. The world feels populated and like you're actually running around and exploring with other players. I think it's going to go down as one of my GOATs, I just gotta find time to keep playing.

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Best RPG I've played last year. The game loop when reaching a new area is really addicting. Although a good chunk of this loop consists of collecting random loot and defeating a certain number of enemies - which is pretty tedious in most games - is really fun in CrossCross thanks to the fast nature of the game.

Also, the difficulty of the puzzles is spot on for me which doesn't happen often.

Not to mention the awesome soundtrack and the smooth as butter battles.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this game is amazing. I also really loved the puzzles, especially the final puzzle in every dungeon where they throw everything from the earlier puzzles at you.

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
This game is a true gem. Not only are the dungeon puzzles satisfying, but going for 100% chests in the overworld requires some crazy parkour that is extremely satisfying once you pull it off.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
This is my GOTY 2018. Awesome game from beginning to end. Took me around 80 hours to complete every quest.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Just waiting for that PS4 version.
There was a post by the Dev recently about all the questions regarding a Switch release. They basically said that it will happen when pigs fly due to how the game was programmed. I don't know how it relates to PS4.

Anyways, I like the game a whole lot. Played probably 5 or 6 hours but still haven't reached a dungeon with these satisfying puzzles I keep hearing about.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, I like the game a whole lot. Played probably 5 or 6 hours but still haven't reached a dungeon with these satisfying puzzles I keep hearing about.

I'm surprised you're 5-6 hours in and haven't hit it yet, I definitely had gotten to it by that point but I didn't do many of the side quests until after it. You should be really close.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised you're 5-6 hours in and haven't hit it yet, I definitely had gotten to it by that point but I didn't do many of the side quests until after it. You should be really close.
Yeah, the NPCs have alluded to it. I've been doing every side quest possible, so I guess that's why I'm so slow.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the NPCs have alluded to it. I've been doing every side quest possible, so I guess that's why I'm so slow.
I moved at about the same pace as you, doing all the side stuff I could until moving the story forward. The combat and traversal are so fun, and the dialogue (or Lea's lack thereof) is so charming that I've never felt not rewarded from doing even the smallest fetch quest.

And to Tharp's point about Lea's expressiveness as a mostly mute character: it's pretty wild how good a job they did with her. Responses have to be somewhat exaggerated of course, but it's to the point where she comes across as having more genuine reactions and feelings than fully written or voiced protagonists. Using the few words at her disposal in so many different situations is always extremely charming, too.

Looking at the feedback here, I'm betting CrossCode will be on lots of "2018 game of 2019" lists, especially if it hits consoles - which is better than it being completely skipped, at least!

Last edited: