• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge Alan Wake fan, I'm sad to read the expansion was a disappointment :(
Does it give hints about a possible Alan Wake 2 at least?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Control is great. Excellent gunplay and fantastic force powers. I don't care what the missions or story are, the gameplay kicks ass.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Control was a really fun game and not really what I'd consider generic at all unless shooters are just always generic to some people. But GOTY 2019? Outer Wilds came out last year, y'all.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Which there were more games like Control, really liked the weird paranormal story.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I played this on Xbox One X originally, but it didn't click for me and I gave up very early in the game

After getting a GeForce RTX 3080, I bought it on PC for some ray-tracing goodness. Playing with max graphics and ray-tracing at over 100 FPS, and using mouse/keyboard made the game much more enjoyable for me. (mostly the mouse aiming)
The game itself is pretty good too, and I'm glad I gave it another try. I skipped the DLC sections though. As good as the game was, by the end credits I had enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Perhaps in future it's more worth paying attention to the larger wave of positive impressions instead of those who didn't like it shouting "Overrated!" like Ongo Gablogian in an art gallery.

That's not to say negative opinions should be dismissed outright but you maybe shouldn't dismiss a game when some claim it's "overrated", it might just be rated high so commonly for good reason.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think I'm stuck on the Foundation DLC. There's like two places I haven't been in and both of them seemingly want me to fly upwards.

Did I miss a powerup on the main game or something? I've already unlocked both skills from the expansion.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
Not only it is a great game, but maxed out on a high end PC with RTX effects it is mind blowing. Trashing office furniture has never been this spectacular.

Just wait until you get to the Ashtray Maze. That section is perfect.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Kinda surprised, I've heard nothing but praise for Control. Bought it myself just yesterday so I could play it on PS5 with the update.

Rather than community anti-hype, I think it was self imposed for both Uncharted 4 and God of War 2018. Both series where the latest entries had burned me and I had no desire to return to. Didn't bother looking at trailers or even reviews or anything until like 6 months after release for both by coincidence. I'd been in the dark about both games completely.

Figured I'd check them out when they were cheap, and by god both became my favourite in their respective series. It was actually really nice to be on the other end of the spectrum for once and expect very little but be blown away. Think my opinion of the games is so much higher than it would be otherwise.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool game, and I love its setting and aesthetic, but it didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype to me. Bland gameplay, bad boss fights, lore that's multiple notches below the SCP Foundation, etc. People really pumped up how great the ashtray maze sequence was, which just didn't do anything for me.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
It's a cool game, and I love its setting and aesthetic, but it didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype to me. Bland gameplay, bad boss fights, lore that's multiple notches below the SCP, etc. People really pumped up how great the ashtray maze sequence was, which just didn't do anything for me.
Exactly my experience! Played through it and got the plat but honestly the game isn't memorable in any way.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I've just accessed the motel, restarted the reactor cooling and stuff for the janitor, and I'm on my way to try and find Marshall - I'm playing on the Switch version in performance mode and it's pretty great. I'd played almost this far on the PS4 when I was subscribing to Now, but I get more of my game time in away from the TV these days so this is ideal! I do like the way it's telling it's story and how it looks (ray tracing seems nice!) but the gameplay is fun too. I have to confess I somehow missed I could change the guns form until relatively recently.. I don't know how far in I am but I'm enjoying it.

The anti hype thing I've been burned by a couple of times. Things that clearly matter to some people often matter very little to me. I've learned a lot about what I am and am not likely to like, and my tastes don't always align with critics or other enthusiasts.

I also meant to add - I really appreciate some of the gameplay settings like the aim assist and stuff. You can kind of scale the difficulty of the combat if you need to - and I'm not against that at all, my aiming sucks ha!

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the PS5 upgrade before I try and play this again. The performance on PS4 pro wasn't good.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exactly my experience! Played through it and got the plat but honestly the game isn't memorable in any way.
I honestly can't understand how someone can possibly think this game isn't memorable in any way.

Like, nothing from the game stuck with you? Like, not even conceptually or aesthetically? How many other games like Control are there out there that I don't know about?

Deleted member 43552

Banned
May 17, 2018
I honestly can't understand how someone can possibly think this game isn't memorable in any way.

Like, nothing from the game stuck with you? Like, not even conceptually or aesthetically? How many other games like Control are there out there that I don't know about?
I generally found the combat repetitive, many of the enemies generic, and the technical performance poor (on PS4). I'm actually genuinely surprised people liked the game. I guess I'm living in a bubble.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
The gameplay loop was kind of repetitive. Go here, clear enemies, unlock point, rinse and repeat. But loved the story and lore. Plus the art direction was great

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
The hell? Control is extremely highly regarded both in Era as in pretty much every gaming community, not really sure where you saw the "meh" or negative reactions? lol

Were you looking just at the paid next gen upgrade threads?
There is a VAST amount of individuals claiming the game is overrated or "meh" both here and in other gaming communities. Not sure where you've been...

I can guarantee you that most of the people that played the game had a positive reaction, but I think you know just as well as I do that they often aren't the ones with much to say about it on internet forums lol...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I've been in no rush to play this game since its release because all I've heard is how mediocre/overrated it was, how generic AAA it feels, etc.

Uhm where have you been hearing this? The reception has been very positive, and I think there were a few threads reminding people not to miss on this fantastic game

Oct 30, 2017
Man. I wish you could see this game with raytracing doing its thing. It is a whole other experience.

I bought this a few months after launch but just started it a couple weeks ago but I'm already regretting not waiting for the PS5 version, assuming it'll have raytracing.

It looks great and runs well on the pro, but the world is so striking that I'd love to see it at max specs.

Oct 27, 2017
This game has been universally loved though 😂

Yeah, I was going to say...
I actually had the reverse (of your reverse) happen. Control looked boring to me so I ignored it entirely, but finally caved in due to all the hype it got and decided to try it out. The game bored me to tears in its opening segments. Perhaps it gets good eventually but I guess I'll never know.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Alan Wake, but something just didn't click for me with Control. Story, themes/setting, artstyle, character (villains) design were all just off putting to me. Gameplay is great, but the other stuff was distracting in a bad way for me unfortunately.

I bought into the hype here actually because of the gameplay, which is true, but the other stuff is just...eh to bad.

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up making a... Shall we say.. Divisive thread in which I lamented Sony's refund policies because of how much I genuinely hated this game, lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to like this game, and the premise is something that should be right up my alley. Just never ended up being able to get into it.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the opposite with Control, people hyped it up and it was just ok.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to like it but it's been a really slow climb so far - neither story nor gameplay makes it easy to get into. Even visually I'm not particularly enamored with it (on PC, with RT).

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The games that I feel the urge to play the most are the ones with mixed reactions, some people love them, some peiple hate them. That's the key for a possibly amazing and unforgettable game and the possibility of me loving them is way worth the risk of me hating them.
Regarding Control, it's a good game with a lot of problems that didn't leave a mark on me.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Only missing both trophies for doing the Board Countermeasures and they, uh, kinda suck.

I didn't even get the one for doing 5 during the whole game and I'm supposed to do 25??

blockhead1700

Nov 3, 2017
Only missing both trophies for doing the Board Countermeasures and they, uh, kinda suck.

I didn't even get the one for doing 5 during the whole game and I'm supposed to do 25??

What I did was turn on 1-hit kills in the options menu and accept then abandon countermeasures until you get the ones for killing enemies with certain gun types. Goes pretty quickly once you get going.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I always thought everyone loved this game? Just bought it on steam a couple of days ago because of how much praise its gotten.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I expected to play absolute dogshit when I played Fallout 76 and Metal Gear Survive and I enjoyed them both more than the game that came before them.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE as OP. Walked into Control with zero expectations and had my mind thoroughly blown throughout my playthrough. The boyfriend and I still occasionally burst into "TAKE, CONTROL (DUN DUN DUNNN, DUNDUNDUN)"

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a 3080 recently after playing through the main game on my 1080ti. Played The Foundation with ray tracing on and it made an incredible looking game look a lot better. Hard to believe, honestly.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
And Platinum get. Both DLCs beaten (not 100% though, some of these trophies are super hard and will probably check a guide.)

What a fantastic experience all around. I'll be there day 1 for a sequel.

Does anybody know any good videos or essays about the Remedy-verse? I'd love to catch up with it.

Jan 13, 2020
I played it for about an hour and the vagueness of everything just annoyed me. I really didn't care to find out more about the story. Maybe I should revisit.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
The load times are atrocious on the PS4. You die and it takes over a minute to reload. I may give it one last shot on the PS5 if the load times are improved.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
And Platinum get. Both DLCs beaten (not 100% though, some of these trophies are super hard and will probably check a guide.)

What a fantastic experience all around. I'll be there day 1 for a sequel.

Does anybody know any good videos or essays about the Remedy-verse? I'd love to catch up with it.

This is the best Control video I've seen, really excellent:

I've seen a couple about the "Remedy-verse" but didn't quite like them as much. I feel like Control truly is Remedy at their best, and I suppose that's translate to the videos as well.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just finished the opening scenes (literally got to the elevator, opening credits playing, and that's it), but does this game not perform well or it just me? I turned off film grain and motion blur but it feels so, so juttery when moving around and with a low framerate.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up on Game Pass (finally!) and am really enjoying it.

Often reminds me of the best of Kojimas games. Very cinematic, even if sometimes obtuse and almost goofy. Has fantastic atmosphere and combat, and the graphics--wow! It has such a consistent and conscious style to it, too.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
This was me but with Mass Effect 1 and 2 that I played back to back with all the DLC about 6 months before 3 came out. I think in like 10 months I played the best of the the PS3 and 360 generation with these, and Bioshock, and like 9 other marquee games