• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Civ is one of those series where I own every game.. yet I struggle to learn the ropes. I am so intimidated by it I never actually get around to learning it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Full disclosure: I had never played a Civilization game before(nor had crack)

a couple of friends convinced me to get it during the summer sale(Civ 6 Platinum).

We started a few saves so I could get the ropes, then started a game with a mod that uses the real world locations, and I went with Korea.

JESUS CHRIST what's wrong with this fucking game. It's stuff like, we start playing at 7pm then I look outside and it's suddenly 4am.
And that happened TWO DAYS IN A ROW.

I don't know how to explain it, it's been ages since something like this happened to me. And then I keep reading people saying that CIV6 is actually bad compared to the others? That's some crazy shit.

So yeah that's it, tomorrow is a holiday and all I can think of is how I'm going to spend the entire night playing it with my friends. Any tips or mods you peeps wanna share?

We did the same a few weeks ago and the same thing happened to us. Civ is amazing and each time you learn more and more. Can't wait for other next play round lol

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this on steam sale, the base game is going cheap, is it worth getting the base game or are the expansions really required?

If you have no to little time invested into the series, it's completely fine to start with the basic version. You can add the mechanics from the expansions once you're comfortable with the base game. Though I suppose one could buy the expansions and then just play on the base game rules, if one were inclined to do so.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
If you have no to little time invested into the series, it's completely fine to start with the basic version. You can add the mechanics from the expansions once you're comfortable with the base game. Though I suppose one could buy the expansions and then just play on the base game rules, if one were inclined to do so.
Will probably go for the cheaper base option then, cheers.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Civ is one of those series where I own every game.. yet I struggle to learn the ropes. I am so intimidated by it I never actually get around to learning it.
Civ isn't that bad. Just play the game with tutorials on or whatever and try stuff out. it's not a paradox game or anything with a thousand menus.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Civ 5 honestly kindof sucked until the religious expansion came out and that's the dev team that made 6.
The religion expansion is so much fun. Who needs wars with soldiers and bloodshed when you can just send an armada of missionaries to another continent to spread influence like a weed?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It's the incremental drip-feed of content that gets you: there are no levels, no fixed story beats, just a constant flow of events pulling you in. Like a soap opera, there's always something building in the background to absorb your attention whenever your current focus starts to dwindle.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted to try these games but I don't play on PC, is any of them available on the PS4/Switch? Are the ports worth it? And is it enjoyable even if I never touch multiplayer?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I haven't played a CIV game since IV šŸ˜…
I got out with Civ 2.

I was going to flunk out of college. I think at one point I literally did not leave my room other than for lunch and dinner for 3 days. I had to delete the program and I have never looked back.

Someone needs to file a lawsuit against Sid Meier. This should have a warning label on it that it is highly addictive and may destroy your life.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted to try these games but I don't play on PC, is any of them available on the PS4/Switch? Are the ports worth it? And is it enjoyable even if I never touch multiplayer?
Good ports on both PS4, Switch. There's also the option of iOS if you're on Apple devices.
Just a word of caution though, cross save functionality is not available on PS4.

Playing on my Switch and saving to 2K servers and picking up my game on PC is really nice. Granted you do have to also own the game on PC. But I'm a die hard and I was going to always have it on my PC. So YMMV

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone worked out how to kill religion on consoles. I just don't think I can play it without making religious units too expensive to own.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's one thing that truly encapsulates how effective Civilization is at getting into your head.

Civilization 1 had copy protection; it's from the floppy disk era, of course it did. It would show you a picture of a technology, you would look that up in the manual and respond with the technologies you'd need to research to make that available.

But one of the things that rose completely organically out of that, which both made the copy protection less of a hassle than most similar copy protections of the time, and highlights how the game gets into your brain: After just a few games, you would know the answer. At first because you'd recognise the technology and be able to select logical technologies that lead to it from the options available, and after a bit more excuse you're just know it by heart and wouldn't need the manual.

I've no idea if that was an intended effect of Civ's copy protection being based around inherent game elements, but it worked, and it wouldn't have done so if Civilization wasn't so effective at filling your mind.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
There's something worse than CIV 6: CIV6 on iPad. So many days wasted. But it's excellent for long road trips.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome to the world of civilization. What makes these games work is the level of progression in learning each system. It is fairly intuitive so the moment you run into an obstacle you feel like you can understand quickly how to overcome it which loops you into playing the game longer than expected.

Any civ game is a perfectly fine first game but IMO Civ 4 is cream of the crop .

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I got out with Civ 2.

I was going to flunk out of college. I think at one point I literally did not leave my room other than for lunch and dinner for 3 days. I had to delete the program and I have never looked back.

Someone needs to file a lawsuit against Sid Meier. This should have a warning label on it that it is highly addictive and may destroy your life.
Daaamnnnn dude that's hardcore!

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I have to agree. I played the original DOS version in middle school and it hooked me for a decade. As much as I want to get the latest version I intentionally don't because I know it will take all my free time. The entire series is so damn good.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I enjoy civ a lot and it was my second PC game that my parents bought me

While I like civ after a few dozen hours I eventually grow tired of it due to the symmetrical nature of the factions.
Endless legend and endless space with those weird factions mechanics like having just 1 city or you need to defeat enemies to get food, etc. Make for much more replayabity.
I love strategy games and to me 4x is one of the best genres around

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah it's available on all big platforms right now. I didn't expect much of the PS4 version, or a least some headache because I assumed there would be no way a game like this could work on consoles with a gamepad. But they knocked it out of the park. It isn't a perfect conversion: there are bugs, loading takes a while with larger map sizes, and once you get to the end of the game there's the occasional slowdown. But once you get used to the controls the game basically plays itself, so well everything works.

It's definitely enjoyable even without multiplayer. I have never even touched it and I have sunk hundreds of hours into this game.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's available on all big platforms right now. I didn't expect much of the PS4 version, or a least some headache because I assumed there would be no way a game like this could work on consoles with a gamepad. But they knocked it out of the park. It isn't a perfect conversion: there are bugs, loading takes a while with larger map sizes, and once you get to the end of the game there's the occasional slowdown. But once you get used to the controls the game basically plays itself, so well everything works.

It's definitely enjoyable even without multiplayer. I have never even touched it and I have sunk hundreds of hours into this game.

Alright, you convinced me! It's on my wishlist now :)

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got out with Civ 2.

In my first year at Uni, I was in halls. One of the other students was doing his PhD in something - he was on year 7 (of a 5 year PhD) - he had literally spent 3 years playing Civ instead of doing his research.

To be fair he was *really* good at Civ.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
In my first year at Uni, I was in halls. One of the other students was doing his PhD in something - he was on year 7 (of a 5 year PhD) - he had literally spent 3 years playing Civ instead of doing his research.

To be fair he was *really* good at Civ.
It should be labeled as a class 1 narcotic.

Sid Meier is a real son of a bitch...

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I enjoy it, but I also wish it wasn't so focused on real world cultures and civilisations. Especially when random map generation is such a key part of it. Why can't I develop my own unique civilisation, dictated by the landscape my civ finds itself in, the outward pressures from other civs and barbarians, the development of science/tech/religion etc? No matter what journey lies before you, your culture is already determined right from the start before you even know where you're settling your first city.

If someone creates that game, it'll be my crack. It's why I love Stellaris so much.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Civ should have an in game alarm clock. Thats all you need to know about it.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah absolutely, there is definitely a feeling of inevitability that sets in.

The end game is one of the core problems with Civilization:

- It lacks the dynamism of the early game. There's no longer any excitement to be had in exploration, and once you know the location and size of every civ in the game then it's hard for them to surprise you.

- By late game you have loads more actions to do every turn, but a lot of them feel meaningless and lack impact. At the start of the game choosing whether to build a monument or a granary can have a huge impact. In the late game you might be deciding whether one of your 12 cities produces a hospital or a radio tower, and neither option is going to have much impact at all.
Civ 6 with Gathering Storm actually addresses this, by making global climate, fossil fuels, and pollution an ongoing and dynamic concern, as well as making diplomatic and culture victories be far more active and require ongoing engagement from the player.

Pascal

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I've been playing this on Switch a lot recently. Feels like I just started playing but my Switch insists that I've already dumped 50 hours into it. Madness...

The only other Civ I've really played is Civ Revolution on the DS...Which was pretty good actually. But it wasn't really all that challenging after you played a few games. I really like Civ VI, partly because the district system is always making you think about how you want to lay out your Civ to get those sweet adjacency bonuses.

I went and bought both of the expansions as soon as I won my second game as Japan. Now I'm midway through a game as Korea and trying to decide if I will build coal power plants and begin the process of destroying the planet (spoiler i will). I just kinda dived headfirst into the the expansions with really looking at the tutorials, so we'll see how I do with rising sea levels. One of my cities is right on the coast and that may be a problem in the future. Oh well!

One aspect I really love is the Civilopedia. Whenever I'm winding down from a long session, I'll start to read the Civilopedia and learn about various leaders and wonders and such. It's just a nice little thing to have all of that knowledge available right in the game. Also, I really love all of the music for the various civs and how they evolve as you progress through the eras. Seems like every Civ has at least a few themes, which is just an incredible amount of music, and a lot of the songs are really beautiful.

Anyway, this game is rapidly becoming my go-to Switch game, and I can see myself dropping hundreds and hundreds of hours into this. Between this game and XCOM 2, Firaxis is becoming one of my favorite developers.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It really is.
Stellaris is the same, i actually refuse to play those games as they are so addictive.

I remember when Stellaris released, i'm of course playing it. Couple of hours goes by, i look at a watch, its 23:30 and thinking:
"Oh ok, so i'll just play for another 30 minutes and go to sleep, as i'm waking up at 6:30am for work. No problem!"
30 minutes goes by, i look at the clock and its fucking 2:30 AM!

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i dont think the series has gotten much better after Civ 3, personally. There's just something about it being harder to play/understand that makes it more engaging.

the latest civilization games (5 and 6) are like... too easy to grasp? Not talking about difficulty of gameplay.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any Civ games either and good thing I was able to snag the free one (Civ 6) on Epic. I wanted to test if this thread is telling the truth how crack this shit is.

I started around 12mn and ended around 7 am, damn.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Is Civ 6 Onlne for Ps4? and is it good experience?

I got Civ 6 on my iPad and its great to just carry it around the house and play but no online. I want to get some good online play with my brothers maybe one day. But yes Civilization games are the best.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Civ is one of the most dangerous series I have ever played in terms of how much time it can take away from me. I can only play it if I am on vacation or don't have any significant responsibility the following day.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Now try endless space 2 or endless legend or galactic civilizations or fallen enchantress or age of wonders aaaaaaahhhhhhh

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot they released this on consoles. Been looking for a follow-up to Civ Rev for ages now.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

I got Civ 6 on my iPad and its great to just carry it around the house and play but no online. I want to get some good online play with my brothers maybe one day. But yes Civilization games are the best.
No online on any console version.

nvm

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Civ and Total War are the absolute definition of 'Just one more turn'

'Just let me finish this fight and ill be done'
'Let me wait for this building to be finished and select the next upgrade'
'They delcared war on me, I should set myself up to attack before shutting off'

Its just endless

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recall the day that Gandhi tested the world's 1st nuclear missile on a Zulu fringe city.
That day, the 500 hundred years war began.

Man, Civ2 was incredible.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

It didn't work at launch. My brother and I bought it and only rarely could both join a room together.
They seem to have finally fixed it around March (just in time for lockdown!) and my brother and I play two evenings a week now.