• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I've said it numerous times on here, but I dislike cross on it's own merits. I hate the battle system, and a lot of the characters. I just think trigger feels like a better realized complete game. cross has too many rough edges that stops me from ever wanting to replay it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross cons: Battle music theme
Chrono Cross pros: everything else

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I'd say Chrono Trigger is probably objectively the better game, but man I enjoyed Chrono Cross much more. The combat is much more enjoyable and the field effects and stamina system always keeps it fresh at every turn. The most effective strategy isn't repeating the same one or two steps like most RPGs get reduced to.

Arriving at Termina then getting to and sneaking through Viper Manor. And then falling to Guldove right after. The game's such a journey and is probably the most vivid game I've ever played.

There's a lot of jargon towards the end but that doesn't really sour me on it. I remember it for the adventure, and with the graphics, music, environments, the places the story ends up going, it's probably my favourite RPG.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My save file is stuck where im a cat creature and i have to fight some dude who can kill me in 2 hits.
I know exactly where you are just by those few words. Miguel is a hard boss, but doesn't have a ton of hp... Just need to blast him with black elements and use moves that evasion and such on Serge.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Cross is one of those games that I can never remember the intricacies of the story so I really need to read a FAQ to brush up on what it said about and followed up on the events of Trigger.

That said, I love Cross but rarely replay it (I think I've played through it twice to completion). My biggest issue with it versus Trigger is just the way the cast is treated with there being a ton of possible party members. I always feel like maybe I'm missing something or not seeing something that's canon because someone isn't in my party.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than Schala and Lucca's orphanage, I 100% missed all the CT references when I originally played CC. It's really not as in your face as you're saying but replaying it definitely made me see how much I missed and realize how brilliant the story is.

The game's back cover explicitly says the game takes place twenty years after the events of Chrono Trigger:

gExGAU2.jpg