• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
What a joyful little game. It's an indie platformer that comfortably sits in Metacritic's Top 10 Switch games of all time, and now I finally understand why.

The game is a wonderful blend of tight platforming, environmental puzzles, and a genuinely engaging story. The music and art style both serve to amplify this, paying tribute to 8 bit and 16 bit platformers but also having its own distinctive "style".

I'm loving how they introduce new mechanics gradually and so the game never feels stale. I'm on the last chapter now (7) and it's hard as nails, but ultimately fair. I can't get mad at it because I know exactly why I died each time.

Probably one of the better games I've played in the last year.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Played it for the first time this year.

It is a masterpiece. Level design and platform mechanics are tight and the way the game blends the story into its game design is great.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I got so so SO frustrated that Chapter 9 is geared towards Side C style difficulty. It made it so that I could not figure out what to do, which made me drop it cause looking up the internet for puzzle solutions isn't my idea of fun.

I was such a vocal proponent of this game prior to that. It made me really sad.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Enjoyed what i played but got stuck at the start of the hotel i think? Needed a key and just could not figure out how to do it, lol. It was like at a jump i just couldn't seem to pull off. Feel stupid as i am usually decent at games like these.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The way Celeste introduces new things to interact with is a nice change up going through the chapters. It's my favorite platformer.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I got so so SO frustrated that Chapter 9 is geared towards Side C style difficulty. It made it so that I could not figure out what to do, which made me drop it cause looking up the internet for puzzle solutions isn't my idea of fun.

I was such a vocal proponent of this game prior to that. It made me really sad.

I'm not sure why this is a problem when the first half of the level is locked behind chapter 8, which requires clearing 4 b-sides, and the second half is locked behind clearing all of the b-sides. If you can do all that you can probably handle chapter 9.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's an amazing game. I struggled a lot with some of the levels, but overall it was a fantastic experience and I keep telling everyone to give it a shot.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Best platforming game ever, while I didn't use assist mode I loved that the devoloper included it so that he could go crazy with game difficulty in normal mode W/O anyone complaining.

Oct 28, 2017
It's excellent. Make sure you do the B and C sides and the free DLC as well. What they do with the DLC is so impressive. They teach you advanced mechanics you never have to use in the base game.

Although with that said early on in the DLC there's one part I do think is bad game design where they require you to use a mechanic to beat the screen but they never actually teach you it and just assume you know it. I had to ask in the Era thread what you were supposed to do.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It was the best game that released in 2018 and also had the best soundtrack .

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic game. I gladly double-dipped on it when I got my Switch after having previously bought it on PS4. Never got around to finishing it, though...

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
It's my favorite game of all time, no doubt about it. I even speedran Farewell for a little while and I never do that!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was my #1 vote for 2018 GOTY:

1. Celeste - I first played Celeste close to when it came out on Switch, and thought it was a very good, very challenging game that would hold me over until more exciting releases that came out this year. Then I kept playing it, and fell in love with the story and soundtrack. Then I decided I would take on the B-Sides and later C-Sides, and became a bit addicted to the challenge. Having at long last conquered Celeste, I was ready to move on. Except I didn't. I kept coming back to this game, bought the soundtrack, kept discussing it on here. Then I saw it on Xbox One, and thought, "You know, I don't typically care for achievements, but I think I'd like the excuse to 100% this game again." So I did. But yeah, Celeste is the only game that I bought twice this year, played to completion twice, and just never left my head. It's the game I show off to friends, the one I post game-play clips to twitter of. It's just a really, really good game. And now I'm buying it a third time for the physical release.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Played it for the first time this year.

It is a masterpiece. Level design and platform mechanics are tight and the way the game blends the story into its game design is great.

Exactly this indeed. Incredible game.

Not so sure about the Chapter 9 DLC, tho - I started it but couldn't get really far. I feel like, while the main game's level design was all about trying various things to pass a stage and failing at it until you get the right timing/logic, the DLC seems to be more straightforward in terms of figuring out how to pass a stage, but making it really hard to do so, if that makes sense.

I'll probably go back to it at some point, but so far I wasn't as charmed by its game logic as I was from playing the main game.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm not sure why this is a problem when the first half of the level is locked behind chapter 8, which requires clearing 4 b-sides, and the second half is locked behind clearing all of the b-sides. If you can do all that you can probably handle chapter 9.
I did not clear all B-sides, no. And you're thinking of Chapter 8, Chapter 9 is the DLC one.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It's like Super Meat Boy but with an amazing soundtrack and art and a cohesive level integration.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont get why people say it's part story part platforming. Maybe it's because im not very fat away (im at the hotel) but for now it's like 98% platforming, 2% story

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did not clear all B-sides, no. And you're thinking of Chapter 8, Chapter 9 is the DLC one.

No, they're thinking of chapter 9. Partway through you reach a crystal heart gate that requires beating all the B sides.

It's excellent. Make sure you do the B and C sides and the free DLC as well. What they do with the DLC is so impressive. They teach you advanced mechanics you never have to use in the base game.

Although with that said early on in the DLC there's one part I do think is bad game design where they require you to use a mechanic to beat the screen but they never actually teach you it and just assume you know it. I had to ask in the Era thread what you were supposed to do.
Which mechanic/screen is that?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can easily skip the gate doing this

Yes, true, but if you're deep enough in the game to even consider doing that, you've almost certainly already beat the B sides at some point.

Plus if you try and do the second half without at some point beating the B sides, you're going to have a bad time.

Didn't make it that far then. But since I did beat a bunch of screens, that must mean the "first half" isn't locked behind B-Sides then?

Yeah, but that's what the person you quoted said. The first half is locked behind chapter 8 (and so consequently a few of the B sides because you need to do some to get past a crystal heart gate there), while the harder chunk is locked behind beating all of the B sides.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Potentially the best 2D platformer of all time, up there with SMB3. It really feels like the culmination of the new school of platforming level design that the indie scene kicked off in the mid 2000s.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's a masterpiece. The level design and how the game introduces and builds on concepts is downright immaculate.

Something about Celeste that goes underappreciated is how it handles accessibility. By having Assist Mode, less skilled players are able to beat the game, while the developers don't have to simplify the level design to make the levels easier (which is an major issue in certain other platformers).
You can easily skip the gate doing this

To be fair, you aren't told the technique to skip the gate until the final C-side.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Yes, true, but if you're deep enough in the game to even consider doing that, you've almost certainly already beat the B sides at some point.

Plus if you try and do the second half without at some point beating the B sides, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah, but that's what the person you quoted said. The first half is locked behind chapter 8 (and so consequently a few of the B sides because you need to do some to get past a crystal heart gate there), while the harder chunk is locked behind beating all of the B sides.
Well then. So there's a bunch of screens before the barrier, and I didn't even beat all of them. Nice.

I guess my frustration comes from feeling pretty good about beating the main game (which is quite hard), but then learning that no, I did not beat Celeste.

Celeste beat me.

Dec 30, 2019
God, did I love this this game. But it's also the game that convinced me joycons were irredeemable as controllers lol

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. Fun mechanics but I thought the story was way too on the nose and a little cloying to be effective.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Extremely happy for you OP. Always happy when another person decides to give the game a try and gets to experience the GOAT platformer for themselves. It's platforming perfection, and it's a game that respects the player's ability to fail, learn, and conquer. It's my go-to palate cleanser when I just want to play a "pick up and play" game. I'm a little jealous that you get to experience it for the first time. If anybody is reading this thread has not played it for themselves, drop everything and buy this game today. Oh, and wear headphones when you play.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well then. So there's a bunch of screens before the barrier, and I didn't even beat all of them. Nice.

I guess my frustration comes from feeling pretty good about beating the main game (which is quite hard), but then learning that no, I did not beat Celeste.

Celeste beat me.

Just keep in mind that Chapter 9 is meant to be super hard. It was released at a point where the game had been out for months and a lot of people who would have been the target audience for it would have already well completed all the B sides

I wouldn't worry about not clearing all of Celeste's content. Basically nobody would. The game just keeps ramping up the difficulty challenges until virtually nobody will beat it. To put that in context, to access the final bonus screen of the game you have to clear chapter 9 in a single go without dying outside of one screen where you have to die to proceed. I didn't get that far either.

Personally I ducked out at the step before before that at the bonus strawberry challenges including moon berry.

Oct 27, 2017
Once you beat the game, try the B and C sides! Thats when the game elevates to another(sometimes frustrating) level. But its satisfying when you beat those.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Bought it a few weeks ago during a sale on Switch, will play it this weekend for sure after I finish Yakuza 0.
Are there any other interesting Metroidvania games one can play on Switch (or PS4 as well)?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Honestly didn't like the game much while doing the story mode. But got totally hooked once the platforming got tighter on the B and then C sides. Chapter 7 C side really pushed me to my limits, but my god chapter 9. One of the hardest things I've ever done in a game for sure. That was like 13 hours of brutal platforming straight. Took me a week playing a few hours every day, and I injured my thumb from pressing jump and dash so much haha. I think it's the only time I've ever injured myself playing video games lol.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I got through the main story but I don't want to ever play it again. Not touching B or C sides. I find games like this just too frustrating to play.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, it is an absolute masterpiece and one of the only games that has gotten an emotional response out of me.