• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

So I finally got to play this game and overall I liked it.
I personally don't like slippery movement in games but it wasn't a major turn off for me in this one although I did get annoyed by it from time to time.
The game's upgrade system took some getting used to but the overall gameplay was quite nice and it had some decent platforming challenges. Boss fights were great too, and while I was expecting a darker story, the plot seemed quite good and self contained.
One boss fight I had trouble with the first time I did it were the Sisters, but on my 2nd try where I figured their pattern, I managed to beat them with ease.
For that matter, if anyone would like to chime in with some story tidbits, feel free to do so :P

I did not get the best ending however as I only got the normal ending, but I can see myself going back to playing it again in the future.

The game's music is great and listening to it made going through the game and areas less tedious.

One thing I found a little odd though was the localization: The English is fine but it seems like a cleaned up literal translation of the Japanese text which made some lines come off odd and could've been presented more properly.

I don't own any Ninty systems but I wouldn't mind someday trying out the 3D ver. of the game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, did you slip through time?

Nah I'm kidding Congrats on beating it. The Best ending though is kinda difficult. You might have to start over from the begining if you missed a bunch of flags.

I'm kinda surprised you thought it should be darker considering if you played blind then

Curly should have died
Professor Booster also should have died
Total death count would be like 5 characters
And the crown should be intact, meaning the whole thing could just start again.

It was pretty intense for what I thought was a cute game about a robot and some caves lol

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
One thing I didn't mention is that I got a bizarre sense of deja vu when I was doing the final area of the game with the red enemies, I don't know if it was because someone on a forum wrote about playing the game at the time or not, but it was a really weird deja vu...

Dude, did you slip through time?

Nah I'm kidding Congrats on beating it. The Best ending though is kinda difficult. You might have to start over from the begining if you missed a bunch of flags.

I'm kinda surprised you thought it should be darker considering if you played blind then

Curly should have died
Professor Booster also should have died
Total death count would be like 5 characters
And the crown should be intact, meaning the whole thing could just start again.

It was pretty intense for what I thought was a cute game about a robot and some caves lol
2 of those actually happened to my playthrough, by dark I meant something along the lines of Undertale :P
I will replay it again in the future as I wrote since in order to get the best ending I need to do things differently.

Oct 29, 2017
The best Cave Story experience is playing the translated freeware version around the time when it came out. It's an amazing game and effort by a solo developer that took years to release. It probably doesn't have the same impact playing it now or the plus version, but good job on finally playing it OP. I still listen to the soundtrack (Geothermal and Moonsong) when I just wanna relax.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Upgraded it to Spur.

You messed up!

J/k, glad you enjoyed your initial run-through blind. To this day I still claim Cave Story as the best indie made. It just hits all the right notes. I highly recommend if you want to go for the best end your 2nd time through to keep a guide handy as there are few spots/triggers where if you do something wrong you have to start over.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Kero Blaster is from the creator of Cave Story right? If so I had played that first and I enjoyed that a lot.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Cave story is one of the all time great "metroidvanias" Gratz on finishing it's really something. On my 1st play through I got the machine gun. I think machine gun is one of the best designed weapons in any sidecroller. That float is just so cool.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
No shame in looking at a guide for the 2nd playthrough to make sure you unlock all the extra content and best ending!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one of my favorite games of all time. i recently beat it (best ending) and posted my thoughts here.
i too want to try the 3D version some day, even tho i heard it's not that good.
i got kero blaster a while ago but i didn't play a lot (103 minutes according to steam), waiting for the switch version to jump back in.

Cave story is one of the all time great "metroidvanias"
really? i don't think it has a lot of the elements of metroidvania games.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
one of my favorite games of all time. i recently beat it (best ending) and posted my thoughts here.
i too want to try the 3D version some day, even tho i heard it's not that good.
i got kero blaster a while ago but i didn't play a lot (103 minutes according to steam), waiting for the switch version to jump back in.

really? i don't think it has a lot of the elements of metroidvania games.
Yeah it is less of a metroidvania and more of a straight forward linear action platformer. You can backtrack yes but doing so only lets you get upgrades not alt. paths or some such in order to progress.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best Cave Story experience is playing the translated freeware version around the time when it came out. It's an amazing game and effort by a solo developer that took years to release. It probably doesn't have the same impact playing it now or the plus version, but good job on finally playing it OP. I still listen to the soundtrack (Geothermal and Moonsong) when I just wanna relax.

I'm not sure about that. The first time I played it was a little bit before the Switch version came out. Some people mentioned they were excited aboht Cave Story was coming to Switch, but $30 was a little high. I figured there was a freeware version out, I'll find out if it's good enough for myself. I loaded it and I beat it the same day. I only took a break once to eat.

Really memorable experience. I don't really play games like that anymore. Or games don't grip me like that as they use to.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't get the Bubbler, I highly recommend looking up how to find it. That shit is one of my favorite guns in all of video games.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The 3DS version is worth playing, I wouldn't exactly say it's better in any particular way though. The Switch version on the other hand renders in 16:9, had multiple QoL improvements and a couple of neat extra modes like co-op. If you ever get a Switch then I would highly recommend that version, it's the best.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
God, I love Cave Story. Still waiting for a sequel.

If you do replay the game and try for the good ending, get ready for the challenge of a lifetime lol. I remember finally beating it for the first time on the 3DS eshop version as a kid after like 50+ tries.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two not-so-important things i've wondered about cave story, want to know if anyone knows the answers:
1. a few years ago when i joined steam there was a macOS version as well, i wishlisted it thinking i'll buy it later, but that version got pulled from steam (the windows and linux versions still being available). the mac version remained on the mac app store, but really, no one buys games from that store. anyone know the reason the mac version was removed from steam? i'm not going to buy the game now since i have the switch version, but i'm still curious.
2. considering kero blaster got released on ps4, what is the reason that throughout the years cave story has remained pc and nintendo only? it being one of the most famous indie games it would have probably done decently on vita, ps3 and ps4.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
two not-so-important things i've wondered about cave story, want to know if anyone knows the answers:
1. a few years ago when i joined steam there was a macOS version as well, i wishlisted it thinking i'll buy it later, but that version got pulled from steam (the windows and linux versions still being available). the mac version remained on the mac app store, but really, no one buys games from that store. anyone know the reason the mac version was removed from steam? i'm not going to buy the game now since i have the switch version, but i'm still curious.
2. considering kero blaster got released on ps4, what is the reason that throughout the years cave story has remained pc and nintendo only? it being one of the most famous indie games it would have probably done decently on vita, ps3 and ps4.
To answer your first question, worse case scenario is that the latest Mac updates may be causing issues with the game code?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch version on the other hand renders in 16:9, had multiple QoL improvements and a couple of neat extra modes like co-op. If you ever get a Switch then I would highly recommend that version, it's the best.
while playing the freeware version with the fan translation years ago remains one of my favorite gaming memories, i think i prefer the switch version. i played the switch version with classic graphics and soundtrack. i don't like the new graphics, and the original soundtrack is the only way to play imo, even tho i listened to the other versions (there are 5) of the songs in the sound test mode, and some of them are decent. after beating the switch version i was watching some youtube videos of the original version and it just doesn't look as good, the aspect ratio, the text boxes, the font, etc. it's not a huge deal but i think if you can justify spending the money for a freeware game, it's worth it to get the switch version.

To answer your first question, worse case scenario is that the latest Mac updates may be causing issues with the game code?
that can't be the reason because the game is still being sold on the official apple app store for mac, it's just not available on steam.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bit of an odd question but is the OG freeware Cave Story fine for a kid to play? I kinda wanna see if my 4 year old cousin could like it :P

that can't be the reason because the game is still being sold on the official apple app store for mac, it's just not available on steam.
Aah my bad I misunderstood

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit of an odd question but is the OG freeware Cave Story fine for a kid to play? I kinda wanna see if my 4 year old cousin could like it :P
there's nothing too violent or questionable in the game if you're asking because of that (there's one item that's kinda creepy but it's hidden), but it may be too difficult and make them frustrated.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had the Mac version myself for a bit, before it was yanked from Steam, and played through a few hours of it. Enjoyed what I played, too.

This thread is timely since I have a switch copy headed my way next week. I might find the game a little easier to play there than tethered to a computer, so I might jump back in here and post some impressions, too.
if you're getting the retail version don't forget to update it before playing. the classic graphics weren't shipped with the game and were added with an update (which is pretty stupid, honestly).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

a bop
giphy.gif

Nov 2, 2017
Kero Blaster is from the creator of Cave Story right? If so I had played that first and I enjoyed that a lot.
I personally prefer Kero Blaster, but they're both fantastic games.
I played Cave Story freeware/translation on the PC and like it enough but I prefer the linear gameplay of Kero Blaster.

Speaking of Pixel games, I really like Ikachan as well … played the PC freeware a bit but really getting into the 3DS version lately. A nice handheld-friendly game, I suppose.

I always wondered if Guxt would get a port of some kind. It is a monochrome vertical shooter (almost Game Boy-like in presentation and screen size, haha). Definitely worth checking out the freeware version of that. I believe if you complete the game, you unlock a score attack mode.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
If you didn't get the best ending then you didn't really beat it. Get back in there.

Also Cave Story +'s translation sucks, the original Aeon Genesis fan translation is much better. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it's just annoying how often the + version of the game has been ported without ever having any sort of polish done on the translation...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't get the best ending then you didn't really beat it. Get back in there.
Also Cave Story +'s translation sucks, the original Aeon Genesis fan translation is much better. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it's just annoying how often the + version of the game has been ported without ever having any sort of polish done on the translation...
can you post some examples of why the new translation sucks? i originally played the fan translation years ago, so my memory of it wasn't super clear but when i played the switch version last month with the new translation i thought it was pretty good. in the wiki they put both versions of the text sometimes and i actually prefer the new one.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cave Story was the game that made me go "oh I guess indie games can be just as good as traditional games." As prior as I though indie game meant those web flash games you get on Newsground.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018

I don't own any Ninty systems but I wouldn't mind someday trying out the 3D ver. of the game.

Do yourself a favor and give that a pass. Widely considered a totally botched effort.

And yeah if you haven't experienced the best ending then you need to get back in there and finish the fight. The discovery that I had missed so much of the game was part of what made my experience with Cave Story such a treasured one.

Edit: Also, if you can, try the original AGTP fan-translation: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113325947 IIRC it flowed much nicer than Nicalis' translation and you can mod it into the Steam version. One of the links in the OP may be missing but scroll down to the comments and you'll see it posted.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
can you post some examples of why the new translation sucks? i originally played the fan translation years ago, so my memory of it wasn't super clear but when i played the switch version last month with the new translation i thought it was pretty good. in the wiki they put both versions of the text sometimes and i actually prefer the new one.

The new translation tends to overuse exclamation marks a lot and also has a lot of lines that come off as tonedeaf. One that really sticks out in my mind is the scene where Balrog comes to threaten Jenka over the warehouse key. In the fan translation, Balrog ends the scene by telling Jenka "You'll regret it," referring to Jenka not telling him the location of the warehouse key. This scene is meant to come across as unsettling, as Balrog's goofy theme cuts out to silence as he says that line. In the retranslation he says "You'll be sorry!!" which doesn't sound nearly as blunt. It sounds like a minor nitpick but this has always bothered me because the original line provided some great foreshadowing for how dark the game was about to get, while that's somewhat lost in the retranslation. There's many more examples like this but I don't have an easy way to compile more of them without just playing the game again to referesh my memory.

I also hate the new names for Grasstown (Bushlands) and the Bubbler (Bubblaine). The originals just work way better.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I guess this is a necrobump... but sweet jesus, I bought this game for Switch when it launched but have played it in spurts since then..

Today me and my friend reached what is the end bosses since as I found out messed up and cant get the true ending. It also seems we messed up and have shitty weapons and not that beam gun or whatever it is.

Stuck with the blaster thingy and the rockets (not even full ammo) as our best weapons.. I am not sure how we are gonna beat it with 45 hearts, 4 bosses and not so great weapons.. and tips and ideas? ;P

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I guess this is a necrobump... but sweet jesus, I bought this game for Switch when it launched but have played it in spurts since then..

Today me and my friend reached what is the end bosses since as I found out messed up and cant get the true ending. It also seems we messed up and have shitty weapons and not that beam gun or whatever it is.

Stuck with the blaster thingy and the rockets (not even full ammo) as our best weapons.. I am not sure how we are gonna beat it with 45 hearts, 4 bosses and not so great weapons.. and tips and ideas? ;P
Man I've forgotten about aspects of the gae, but in future, just make a new thread (unless your acocunt can't do that yet?), as necrobumping is discouraged on here ^^;

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Lucky you, its still very possible. You are going to have to get better at using the polar star and being able to farm mid fight.

If you were on the true ending path then I would have told you to straight up restart because that entails a crazy final level and two additional bosses. Its also possible to go back through the final cave and restock that way IIRC.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it's completely possible. don't worry about not getting the best ending on your first run, all endings are worth experiencing at least once.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you at least have the Machinegun? you can definitely clear the normal ending with that. That's what I did my first time.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Lucky you, its still very possible. You are going to have to get better at using the polar star and being able to farm mid fight.

If you were on the true ending path then I would have told you to straight up restart because that entails a crazy final level and two additional bosses. Its also possible to go back through the final cave and restock that way IIRC.
it's completely possible. don't worry about not getting the best ending on your first run, all endings are worth experiencing at least once.
I assume you at least have the Machinegun? you can definitely clear the normal ending with that. That's what I did my first time.

Thanks for all the replies, I do not have the Polar star but I do have the Machine gun. What I dont have, that every one on youtube seem to have is some sort of device that you can fly straight to the left or right if you wish. I can escape with my jetpack but it doesnt really seem to be very effective on these bosses..

I guess I just have to git good so to speak, I dont think we will be able to clean it in co-op though since it's usually my friend that dies and when one player dies in co-op it's game over.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really have anything to add to the thread, I just came in to say that Cave Story is the best game of all time, studio pixel's god to me and yeah everyone should check out the fan translation and get the true ending alright carry on

moonsong is the best

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Good game, but it's ridiculous that it never comes down in price significantly. Newer stuff has been on sale for less repeatedly.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the replies, I do not have the Polar star but I do have the Machine gun. What I dont have, that every one on youtube seem to have is some sort of device that you can fly straight to the left or right if you wish. I can escape with my jetpack but it doesnt really seem to be very effective on these bosses..

I guess I just have to git good so to speak, I dont think we will be able to clean it in co-op though since it's usually my friend that dies and when one player dies in co-op it's game over.

Ah so you have Booster 0.8 which means
that your Prof. Booster is dead
and your final cave is easier. Thats actually not that bad of a handicap. Did you get the turbo charge for your machine gun? You can back track for that upgrade too. You can also go back to Jenka for a life pot if you don't have one as well.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Ah so you have Booster 0.8 which means
that your Prof. Booster is dead
and your final cave is easier. Thats actually not that bad of a handicap. Did you get the turbo charge for your machine gun? You can back track for that upgrade too. You can also go back to Jenka for a life pot if you don't have one as well.

Dont have either the turbocharger och the life pot... how ever, I did play the bosses earlier today and came probably one hit from beating the undead core.. so I will dive back in when I get my kids to sleep, hopefully real soon ;P

I had no idea this game had such depth and multiple things to choose to do or not to. Impressive. Kind of wish I did play the game in closer batches instead of once every 4 months or so, hard o keep track of everything this way hehe.