• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Decades after release, I finally played SOTN last night on the Vita. Got to a boss fight with a werewolf flying cat and some buff yellow dinosaur with a spear. First, the game is hard. I must admit I've never played a Castlevania game for more than half hour. So far the game hasn't hooked me yet. Not sure if it's the outdated interface or if I would enjoy the game more in the big screen rather than the Vita.

Why do you like this game?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played it on the Vita and was hooked. Gotta say, I did not have much problem with the bosses, are you perchance avoiding enemies? Because each enemy gives you exp and maybe you had trouble with the boss due to being underleveled.

Jan 15, 2018
I tried to play it 2 years ago and it didn't hook me as well. The combat was too slow and clunky for me, which I know it isn't the case, but I just wasn't feeling it. It sucks because it looks amaizing, but forcing myself to play it won't make me like it.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Try jumping before you slash (Alucard will be frozen in place if you attack from the ground). Also, your shield is more useful than you think. There's also hidden spells you might want to look up!

EDIT: as for that particular boss, you get the axe sub weapon right before you enter the arena which helps a lot.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game is pretty easy. Or it will quickly get easy.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
For me, exploring and unlocking the map is the real hook to this game. It's also enjoyable when you end up revisiting through older areas from the beginning of the game and are now powerful enough to just plow through all the enemies. However, the game is very charitable with leveling up, so you don't really have to do anything to accomplish that other than to just continue playing.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried to play it 2 years ago and it didn't hook me as well. The combat was too slow and clunky for me, which I know it isn't the case, but I just wasn't feeling it. It sucks because it looks amaizing, but forcing myself to play it won't make me like it.
It's an RPG, so it might feel clunky at the beginning when you have no abilities. But by the end you're zipping around and snapping at enemies with finesse like a fighting game character.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My favourite 2d game of all time.

Great protagonist with one of the best design ever
One of the best ost ever
The gameplay is perfection
Great variety of weapon
A lot of enemy and bosses
Familiars that grow and become more strong
3 transformation with 3-4 upgrade each
The atmosphere in unbelievable
And when you think you're done with the game, you discover the fucking inverse castle.

I'm ready to pay 500 to 1000 dollars for a modern 2d remake without any cut.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love it, but it is game I think could have been twice as good being half as long. The art, animation, music... it was a stunning game in a day and age when it was 3D everything in the 32-bit generation. Those things are still so good and I think they'll remain timeless for the long haul. I thought the game was really easy at the time by Castlevania standards, and I played it last year again and felt the same way outside of a couple bosses. There are a lot of ways to customize Alucard, but I stuck to one or two loadouts every time. I tend to get attached to certain gear and stick with it.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's a game that rewards you over time. You may feel slow, but you will unlock more movement options and faster weapons over time. You may feel weak, but you will become progressively stronger over time. The map may feel like it's nothing special, but as you unlock more pathways it becomes more and more fun to explore.

Leveling up at least once more will make the boss easier (you should never be required to grind again, the point is that the more you explore, the stronger you get). I would suggest to keep going a little bit more and see if it grows on you.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
A gem. It's a shame the series moved away from its aesthetic over time (but bounced back here and there). This reminded me that I need to grab the collection in the near future.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think Super Metroid is a much better game than SOTN (and maybe every other game made) but SOTN is also pretty close to perfect.

Everyone is different and I had decades of experience with 8 bit platformers but my only complaint against the game was actually that it was a little too easy. The game may not be for you but it continues to get better and better the further you get into it. I would suggest you play it for another 2 hours and if it doesn't click by then it is just not for you.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Decades after release, I finally played SOTN last night on the Vita. Got to a boss fight with a werewolf flying cat and some buff yellow dinosaur with a spear. First, the game is hard. I must admit I've never played a Castlevania game for more than half hour. So far the game hasn't hooked me yet. Not sure if it's the outdated interface or if I would enjoy the game more in the big screen rather than the Vita.

I didn't like the game for a decade. I couldn't understand what was the appeal. I would always drop it after a few hours.

But it clicked recently. There was this something when I pushed on where I told myself "woah, I have this, and this, and I have a theory on maybe using those two to get to an area I was not supposed to be", and it worked. From then on, the more I progressed, the more chances I had to make theories about how to progress and the more gratification I would get from it.

SOTN is also a social game, there's a lot of fun to be had talking about this game with people, sharing your findings, learning new things from others. It's a game of discovery and sharing that you have to engage with in order to click.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time now. I've played all of the GBA and DS Castlevanias so it's fun going back to the source so to speak. Some things are head scratching (why are potions an attack item!?) but as a whole, it still holds up. Although I had halted my progress...

...when I arrived at the inverted castle and enemies were kicking my butt and having to constantly use bat or mist form to traverse was annoying. I've recently picked it back up and then went on to find the Crissaegrim.... man! slicing through enemies has never felt better... :)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game is pretty easy. Or it will quickly get easy.
And it's super easy from the start if you're willing to look up how to do magic. Soul Steal just trivializes the entire game more or less.

One of the biggest problems I have with SOTN is that it's far too easy compared to a lot of other Metroidvanias. It's got style out the ass though, so it still holds up.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Replaying the game right now on PS4. Still in my top 3 of all time, close to perfect.
The soundtrack is just sublime, best OST of all time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack is awesome.
The visuals are incredible.
The Japanese voice acting is great.

Everything else is meh.

Oct 2, 2018
hmmm, so I tried to play some SOTN today and man, that elevator moves so slow now. I was like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

it hasn't really aged too well

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I replayed and beat it six years ago. I wouldn't call it hard but I always thought it had the right amount of challenge and is easily my favorite game in the series followed by Super Castlevania 4.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
And it's super easy from the start if you're willing to look up how to do magic. Soul Steal just trivializes the entire game more or less.

One of the biggest problems I have with SOTN is that it's far too easy compared to a lot of other Metroidvanias. It's got style out the ass though, so it still holds up.
Has anyone ever thought of modding it to make it way more challenging ?

I agree that the game's difficulty is a complete joke.
Such a shame, because the core exploration and loot concept was/is solid even today.

Oct 26, 2017

There are oh so many ways to play the game. Levelling up might help, but really, for that boss there are many useful options:

* Learn how to do the fireball spell. The motion is kinda like a Hadoken: press up, then a quarter-circle from down to forward+attack. This will teleport Alucard and he then unleashes three fireballs. Now, you can improve this in two ways. First, you can direct your teleport by moving left or right after starting the animation. Try to position yourself on top of the boss (you have a ton of invincibility). Once you're in position, keep holding up before the spell comes out. This changes it to two huge fireballs. If you're positioned correctly, they will come out on top of the boss and do tons and tons of damage before they even start moving.
* Get the dagger subweapon and a bunch of hearts. You can spam it like crazy, just throw hundreds of daggers at them. You can easily finish off the bosses after a few fireballs.
* You can duck under Slogra's fireballs. Just beware of Gaibon throwing something at you from above.
* Also, you're not using Red Rust are you? That weapon is a newbie trap, it has horrible damage.