• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
So I´ve returned from corona-cleaning-up my mile long list of backlog games. I´ve just finished this abomination of a Castlevania game.

To start of I´m not a super castlevania fan. I´ve played 3-4 of the games, both from the linear and metroidvania-period, and I´ve enjoyed every one of them to some degree. Nothing has been groundbreaking for me, but the sorta goofy gothic horror setting has always enticed me. It´s fun to see the japanese rendering of other countries fantasy lore.

First of all. Yes, this plays like God of War. I don´t get why so many try to act like it doesn´t. It´s a 3rd person action game where you fight with a chain, collect currency and buy new combos, get magic and health from ches.. sorry statues and you fight big monste... no titans and solve light puzzles. Now, there´s nothing wrong with playing like GoW. I´ve played almost every game in that series and enjoyed it alot. Lords of Shadows just play like an entirely inferior version and here´s why:

- The camera is straight up ass. It jitters like it´s on crack and really want to show you this wall over here while you whip monsters off screen. Amazing.
- The controls unite with the camera to form the unholy duo of ass. It´s floaty and stiff at the same time with several button pushes simply not registering (no faulty controller) or giving different results a lot of the times. Examples: I jump straight up to grab a ledge pressing only the jump button. The first to times Gabriel don´t grab while he does the third time for some reason. Another time he simply refused to climb in a direction. After I went back, jumped down and back again he suddenly would. Exact same button presses both times... Several times he would literally jump in the opposite direction of where I pushed the stick. Incredible.
- The pacing, in the beginning especially, is fucking horrendous. The first handful of chapters go on forever with little of interest happening. Also, the feel of the game is all over the place with a large portion feeling like an entirely different game. It´s like several games spliced together like Frankensteins monster.. hmm maybe appropriate after all.
- The titan boss battles are insanely boring and feel like a very inferior version of big-monster-scaling-battles from GoW or Shadow of Colossus. There´s zero tension in these sections, but there´s also zero spectacle or splendor like the previously mentioned games. They´re just there to tick off a box.
- I don´t give a shit if Patrick Stewart is voice acting if the dialogue is poopy and everyone else is mediocre or worse.
- The story is dumb and even worse it tries to play it off completely seriously. Shit just appears and happens because "it´s cool", yet it´s not at all. It tries to do both "heart wrenching love story" and "maybe you´re the real monster!?!", but without fleshing out the characters or making you feel or sympathize with any of it. It simply states these things and hopes you are braindead enough to follow along without asking questions.

I enjoyed the basic combat and progression enough to want to finish it. Sometimes it would hit a good flow and I would imagine the game would´ve helped tremendously if it got rid of all it´s fluff.
So ERA, what´s your verdict on this game?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Really really enjoyed it. One of my fonder memories of the 360 era. Just loved the general tone of the game. For some reason it kinda reminds of how Sleepy Hollow (the movie) makes me feel.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Can't disagree with any of your criticisms.

As a legit fan of the castlevania lore, I got a kick out of seeing new twists on old characters.

It was beautiful also and the art design still shines through.

Hearing "Bloody Tears" in the music box made my year back in the day

Oct 25, 2017
I think it does quite a few things with the combat to distinguish it from GOW but unfortunately they're all done badly.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's by itself, i'd say, a 7.5/10 game for its time

like a 5/10 as a "castlevania game"

that said it was kind of a brilliant approach to castelvania if they just had to give it the 2010s reboot primetime treatment. if only konami was fated to still make real games and MS didn't fuck up LoS2 it'd have been the start of something amazing

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its been ages since I played it but didn't the first hour throw countless mechanics at you and many just never returned? It should've been more straightforward, the game overstays its welcome. Needless to say I didn't like it.

I think CV should be a project much like SoR4 or Sonic Mania. I feel it works best in a 2D environment. Something like Vampire Killer or Rondo. I'm not too hot on the Metroidvanias either, though some are solid.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed it, enough to play twice and get the 1000 achievements.

I think the variety really impressed. Sure not all of the levels were resounding successes, but I don't recall any of the play or camera issues.

It has a great score, constant supply of new settings, assets, enemies, and challenges to overcome. All the famous monsters and creeps were in.

The experience kept improving with progress as did your moveset and combat options. By its end I really fell for it and enjoyed replaying to mop up.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I agree OP, this game was really miserable and I struggle to finish it. It is so soulless and devoid of charm, and also has some of the ugliest and most indiscernible visual design. It's really tragic.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Soild high 6/low 7 material imho. Can't say I much agree with those who think it's an abomination, it's most certainly a slightly above average game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, who tries to deny this game plays like God of War? the game can't be mentioned without the combat cross being a weightier spin on the blades of chaos alone.

Anyway, flawed ambition sums up this game pretty well to me, there's stuff that works, stuff that doesn't (hello titans!) and its pacing wanders between the EPIC adventure and the hobbit trilogy pacing.

Would like a remaster at some point.