• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They seem to have spent oodles de-aging Samuel L. Jackson. His role is big in the film and he does great. Almost all of the film appears to be set in the mid 90s.

also I think Brie Larson is one of the most plain actresses around but she did great and had strong personality in the film. Not saying she isn't pretty so don't @ me.

I like non-formula Marvel so this did the trick for me. It was a sort of frenetic, twisty, on the move film. In the beginning it has hints of thrilling ambush, and it keeps up a sense of fright as the characters seem to be on the verge of death.

the film starts out with hints of a mystery it will reveal, but the reveal flips into a big twist and adds some energy to the mission they seem to be on. The supporting characters are well cast and they feel like fitting origins rather than bad retcons.

also the use of the cat is great.

7.5/10, very good time and overcomes what first looks like some conventional superhero themes in favor of a fun period showdown

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
I put off watching it because the trailer didn't really grab me. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thorry

Apr 24, 2018
Netherlands
I didn't like it a whole lot, but that's mostly due to the fact that I was craving for the climax that was Endgame. If this would have been a phase 1 or 2 movie I would've enjoyed it more I think.

Dec 31, 2017
7 sounds about right for it.

Marvel showed more personality in Endgame scene with Peter Parker than this movie.

Hopefully the sequel steps it up.

I also like/hated what they did to Fury at the same time.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
the subversion of the Skrulls mythology brought me joy. Brie Larson and "young" Sam Jack were both awesome.

I'm a little pissed that both Captain Marvel 2 and Black Panther 2 are absent from phase 4 tbh.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I have no memory of this movie whatsoever except that the guy from Rogue One is good as usual.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sam Jackson, the 90s setting and the Skrull plot twist made this movie. Not gonna lie, I was pretty meh on Brie. Felt like her 3 second interaction with Peter in Endgame had more character than this entire movie. She's a good actress though, so here's hoping she brings more personality into the character for her next movies.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't bad but many other MCU movies are better. Looking forward to the sequel though. I am not familiar with the comics but curious to see what they got that's able to keep up with the strongest Avenger.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I hate, hate, hate this movie.
The method of storytelling is overly complicated for no reason.
The characters are bizarrely flat without any sort of motivation.
And the plot twist actually makes the hero despicable.
There's a lot to nitpick but the actual bones of the story are garbage.
Far and away the worst of the MCU and up there as one of the worst Marvel movies period.

And yes, I wish it had been good. I'm not one of those Men's Rights weirdos who shriek at everything staring a woman or POC.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legit enjoyed this movie, and I love how much it feels like something out of the 90s, down to the aesthetic, the film grain, the lighting. It's weirdly shit on by way too many people.

Also a legitimately great turn from Ben Mendelsohn.

Sam Jackson, the 90s setting and the Skrull plot twist made this movie. Not gonna lie, I was pretty meh on Brie. Felt like her 3 second interaction with Peter in Endgame had more character than this entire movie. She's a good actress though, so here's hoping she brings more personality into the character for her next movies.

I disagree, mostly on the basis of that bit where she's fighting the Skrulls, bats away one of their attacks, then roars in their faces and proceeds to beat the shit out of them. I like that she's a hard-ass.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
also I think Brie Larson is one of the most plain actresses around but she did great and had strong personality in the film. Not saying she isn't pretty so don't @ me.
giphy.gif

I'm a little pissed that both Captain Marvel 2 and Black Panther 2 are absent from phase 4 tbh
wonder why this isn't a thing. Both films made a bunch of money...

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Hated the 90's callbacks, loved the skrull characterisations. The rest was solidly middling MCU territory.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's low tier MCU. After two appearances , I'm still not sure if Brie was the right choice for the role in my opinion.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

the cynic in me suspects it's a "only one female movie and one minority movie per phase" thing but I dunno.

edit: I just remembered we're getting both Black Widow and Jane Thor so... cynicism confirmed? the lack of Black Panther still feels like it requires an explanation though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's about a woman who overcomes a weaker, inferior man's attempt at gaslighting her into submission.

And it made a billion dollars being that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It reminded me a lot of the Dr. Strange and Black Panther films, in that the lead character was the least interesting one in the movie.

I liked it otherwise and hope they do interesting things with Carol going forward (the fact that her big hero moment in Endgame was the same as in her movie is maybe not promising). They've found ways to make the other "super strong and essentially invincible" characters like Hulk and Thor interesting so I don't think it will be a problem.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about a woman who overcomes a weaker, inferior man's attempt at gaslighting her into submission.

And it made a billion dollars being that.

I enjoyed how their final confrontation was essentially her being like 'You are beneath me and not even worth my time as anything more than a whipped errand boy.'

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a mundane movie carried by the strength of the supporting cast (Nick Fury and the Skrull were great). Captain Marvel herself was boring and wasn't well acted.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I found it boring on the first viewing in the theater, but enjoyed it much more the second time around at home (post-Endgame).

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
the subversion of the Skrulls mythology brought me joy. Brie Larson and "young" Sam Jack were both awesome.

I'm a little pissed that both Captain Marvel 2 and Black Panther 2 are absent from phase 4 tbh.

I'm hopeful that it just a matter of "Let's take our time and make sure we get the sequels right rather than rushing something out for a cash grab!" Which if it were the case I'd respond "Yes, that's perfect. Do that."

...the cynic in me questions that hope just as quick though.

In reality, the success of each probably was just so unexpected that Marvel made their plans forward without factoring them in and now they have to find the best place to slot them.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought it was only very slightly above average.

I liked all the characters far more than the movie they were in, I guess is the best way to put my feelings.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like it is the most avarage Marvel film so far. I don't know how's Captain Marvel in the comics but she barely has a personality besides being a bit cocky.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marvel can only put out, like, three movies a year and Captain Marvel only came out this year, so even if we do have to wait until 2022 for the sequel that's not a huge deal. Three years between movies is a good space of time.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty forgettable movie. Not offensively bad, just....it was there. Had some bright moments, mainly when they showed cm's family.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
If I found out that I had been murdering hundreds, if not thousands of people only to learn that they were innocent people and I was helping to commit genocide - this is just me personally here - I would probably have a moment of reflection and remorse and sorrow for all the horrible things I had done. We see her suck a bunch of helpless scientists into space, we're talking some really gruesome stuff here. Instead, she just nods along and switches sides without a second of regret. One of the most flabbergasting choices I've ever seen in a movie, especially when we're supposed to view the main character as a hero.

Oct 28, 2017
If I found out that I had been murdering hundreds, if not thousands of people only to learn that they were innocent people and I was helping to commit genocide - this is just me personally here - I would probably have a moment of reflection and remorse and sorrow for all the horrible things I had done. We see her suck a bunch of helpless scientists into space, we're talking some really gruesome stuff here. Instead, she just nods along and switches sides without a second of regret. One of the most flabbergasting choices I've ever seen in a movie, especially when we're supposed to view the main character as a hero.
Ehhh I'll spoiler tag I guess:

Prior to her abduction and subsequent brainwashing she was helping Mar-vel with the FTL technology AND was prepared to die before letting the technology get into Kree hands (she shoots the warp engine without a moment's hesitation). She then dedicates the rest of her time to helping the Skrulls find a new home. Come on.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There's no arc, she's a badass that doesnt know who she is, then she's a badass buddy cop, then she has this unearned realization that she's a badass. There are fun parts to the movie, but her character is static the whole time.

They should have pumped up the Jude Law gaslighting, make someone die on that first Kree mission and make her think its her fault. She tells Nick "im basically the worst space cop and about to be fired because I'm too emotional." THEN let her open up, find herself, become a badass when it means something.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's firmly in "okay" territory for me. I don't know if smooshing it between IW and Endgame was the best play, might have worked better as a late phase 2 or early phase 3 movie.

Jackson, Mendolsohn, and the Skrull twist were the most interesting parts. Brie was fine but she was outdone by the supporting cast. Its a pretty run of the mill origin story otherwise, and Marvel has shown prior that they can put more unique spins on them.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
this ain't true having watched it two nights ago. She absolutely has a couple of scenes of shock and regret. Once when she learns the twist and once when she encounters the victims.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Ehhh I'll spoiler tag I guess:

Prior to her abduction and subsequent brainwashing she was helping Mar-vel with the FTL technology AND was prepared to die before letting the technology get into Kree hands (she shoots the warp engine without a moment's hesitation). She then dedicates the rest of her time to helping the Skrulls find a new home. Come on.

She honestly feels, at best, like an emotionless robot who does whatever without a core morality. At worst, she's evil. Can you imagine Spider-Man finding out the robber killed Uncle Ben and being like "well, the guy did stiff me so we were both kind of wrong"

Oct 28, 2017
She honestly feels, at best, like an emotionless robot who does whatever without a core morality. At worst, she's evil. Can you imagine Spider-Man finding out the robber killed Uncle Ben and being like "well, the guy did stiff me so we were both kind of wrong"
You seem to be handwaving the fact that she was abducted, lost her memory, brainwashed and gaslighted by Kree warmongers. The Peter comparison doesn't work. A better analog would be Bucky Barnes.