• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
So I finally just saw this.....I get it now when people say this feels like a phase 1 movie sorta but its nowhere near on the level of Iron Man 1. Just some random thoughts

-I still dont understand her powers, so she absorbed an energy core of some kind which makes her shoot lazers, fly, and....invincible, I guess? Pretty sure I saw her get shot a few times when flying around destroying the Kree ships.

-This movie feels kinda boring. I dont feel invested in anything that happened or Carol's backstory.

-The 90's music feels like a hail mary attempt to inject some kind of life into this movie instead of enhancing the good stuff that's already there (ala GoTG)

-Young Nick Fury effects are insane, why are the space action scenes so weirdly blurry?

-Marvel humor is usually pretty hit or miss for me but the humor in this movie was almost all misses.

-Brie Larson is pretty terrible in this. Maybe thats why I couldn't get invested because she has the same bemused look on her face in 90% of the movie, even when there is plot relevant stuff happening. Some of her line deliveries are just bad. She looks bored.

Overall this definitely feels like a B-team (or even C-team) effort. I'm assuming CM does great things in Endgame but I dont expect to remember most of this movie in t-minus 1 week.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Young Nick Fury effects were amazing, until the character ran, or bent down. You could clearly tell it was the body of a 70 year old man.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
saw it a few days ago.
Best thing about the movie was the feminist perspective, although a bit on the nose I want more of that stuff. Everything else fell flat for me. Boring story, boring characters, boring dialogue and boring visuals. That puts it right above the middle of the pack as far as marvel movies goes for me(I'm not the biggest fan if you can tell).

The sam jackson CG is some of the most distracting and ridiculous stuff I've ever seen in a movie. I didn't know about it coming in and I ended up absolutely hating it. Did not work at all for me. Overall 2/5 movie. At least enjoyed it more than the trash-tier Aquaman movie I saw a few days later.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this movie was a bottom 3 MCU movie, but I never feel comfortable saying it because it feels anti-feminist to do so.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-I still dont understand her powers, so she absorbed an energy core of some kind which makes her shoot lazers, fly, and....invincible, I guess? Pretty sure I saw her get shot a few times when flying around destroying the Kree ships.
She absorbed the powers of one of the most powerful objects in the MCU. Basically, she's a walking nuke.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
-Brie Larson is pretty terrible in this. Maybe thats why I couldn't get invested because she has the same bemused look on her face in 90% of the movie, even when there is plot relevant stuff happening. Some of her line deliveries are just bad. She looks bored.
I feel like whenever we get a female lead action hero, there is a disproportionate amount of focus on their factial features. I have never once heard these kinds of commentaries on the male marvel heroes, positive or negative. Not just Bree, but same thing with WW too.

She absorbed power extracted from the Tesseract/Space Stone
Yes. This is how the Twins, Quick Silver and Scarlett Witch, got their powers as well. And iirc, how Red Skull got his super strength and looks.

The Tesseract is kind of a random power generator.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't get it. I loved the movie. Feel like they are on a roll with their origin films lately. BP and CM are so much better than like Dr. Strange that its crazy. And I liked Dr. Strange lol.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't top tier Marvel, but of course most aren't.

Oct 26, 2017
I love Brie Larson, so I really wanted to love Captain Marvel. But Brie plays the character so damn stiff and boring. Or she was directed to do so. I dunno. It was an okay movie, but it just wasn't the Brie I was used to and excited to see step into Captain Marvel role.

Yes. This is how the Twins, Quick Silver and Scarlett Witch, got their powers as well. And iirc, how Red Skull got his super strength and looks.

RNGesus

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's a perfectly fine movie with some truly great moments-but for some reason people pull out the ultra powered microscope when it comes to nitpicking this particular movie.

Nick Fury looked amazing.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I love Brie Larson, so I really wanted to love Captain Marvel. But Brie plays the character so damn stiff and boring. Or she was directed to do so.

Brie is hit or miss for me, she can be wonderful in one role and phone in another. Usually when the character is horribly written. She is definitely not a bad actress, but cannot elevate poor script.

I honestly didn't or mind her in this, though I saw it with my brothers GF and her daughter and seeing her reactions to the film made it worth it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing you made it this long without being spoiled about Endgame.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
It's a perfectly fine movie with some truly great moments-but for some reason people pull out the ultra powered microscope when it comes to nitpicking this particular movie.

This is how I feel.

People get so focused on how she is so cocky and delivers one liners with a smirk that they don't realize that they don't like something a lot of the other characters do. I think it's because when Tony Stark does it, they feel like they are being badass and funny, but when Carol does it they feel like they're on the receiving end.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was a ton of fun. Definitely fell into the MCU trend of having really weak, unmemorable action scenes, but the character work was great and it was genuinely very funny. I thought Brie Larson was awesome in the role, a perfect blend of badass and sympathetic.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, was serviceable. Think Brie did a fine job, especially during the more 'cheeky' moments we saw here in.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Red Skull got that from a prototype super soldier serum by the same scientist who made Cap.
I guess I recalled incorrectly. Could have sworn that the Tesseract did SOMETHING to him. Or was it just that it sent him to Vormir?

Well, anyway, I know it gave the twins their powers. It's just what it does.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I recalled incorrectly. Could have sworn that the Tesseract did SOMETHING to him. Or was it just that it sent him to Vormir?

Well, anyway, I know it gave the twins their powers. It's just what it does.
The Mind Stone in Loki's scepter gave the twins their powers, not the Space Stone, which was on Asgard at that time.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get Brie complains, she was great this movie. Overall it was a lot of fun.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I thought the movie was average, but I'm a fan of Dr. Strange so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

Red Skull got his powers from a similar serum to Captain America. Its literally shown and explained in the movie. He was Red Skull way before he even got his hands on the Tesseract.

Also, the Twins got their powers from the Scepter (Mind Stone).

Edit: See I was beaten on both accounts. Sort of torn that the stones (of the E-199999 universe) are destroyed.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The amnesia plot device almost never works for me, but using it in a freaking origin story takes it to another level. What an awful idea. We spend like 80% of the movie with a Captain Marvel who doesn't really know who she is, and her character suffers for it.

I'm looking forward to her getting more fleshed out going forward, but yeah - not a great first outing imo.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Sure it's a perfectly fine mediocre movie. It was boring and basically a waste of time for me.

Brie is hit or miss for me, she can be wonderful in one role and phone in another. Usually when the character is horribly written. She is definitely not a bad actress, but cannot elevate poor script.

I honestly didn't or mind her in this, though I saw it with my brothers GF and her daughter and seeing her reactions to the film made it worth it.
They really needed a better script for this movie. Here's hoping they do for her sequel.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the movie and it was very obvious that everyone in the theater where I watched it loved it as well, there were cheers and laughs several times. It was genuinely funny and entertaining and Brie was great.

Oct 30, 2017
I have the MCU in three tiers:

• Amazing, will buy and rewatch (Homecoming, Ragnarok, Infinity War, Endgame)
  • Very enjoyable, but I never need to see it again (Ant-Man 1+2, Doctor Strange, AoU)
  • This is not outright bad but man, it drags at times (Iron-Man 2+3, Thor DW)

For me, CM is in the bottom tier.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I think setting it in the 90s was a mistake, they should have set it in modern times. Or at the very least follow her journey from the 90s to modern times.

Nobody even calls her Captain Marvel in her own movie right? Kind of annoys me.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Young Nick Fury looked better than some other hollywood attempts at de-aging, but to me it still looked really slightly off. Just enough for it to be distracting throughout the movie.

Still super impressive, but not completely there just yet.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Brie and Ben Mendelsohn knocked it out of the park with their roles. Everything else was mediocre.

Goober Fury was hard to watch, especially with anything involving the cat, and the way they explain his eyepatch was fucking dumb. The humor really around in this film is the worse it has ever been in the MCU.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Its a fun flick, held down by the fact that it had to be tied to earth and in the 90's.

If the MCU proven anything to me, its that the origin films are always just good, but hopefully they really nail a new tone and character in the sequel

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem is she's just too OP. I don't know where they can take her next.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
I thought the movie was alright, but Brie was a misscast.She's stiffer than a body.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I have a feeling that some of you knocking on Brie for her acting does not bet an eyelesh for a similar performance from Thor's actor, or even from RDJ or Chris Pratt.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay but yeah kind of a disappointing MCU movie. I would say it's just a bit below Iron Man 1 and Cap 1 but not completely bad for an origin.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most average Marvel films that gives both Doctor Strange and Ant-Man a run for its money as most assembly line mediocre product yet.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not one of my favourites, but every single origin film has been utterly middle of the pack, except maybe iron man 1 so it's just in line with every other marvel movie. The better stuff will come later.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
It's an ok movie. It felt haphazardly put together. The beginning was really boring but once Marvel and Fury teamed up it became exciting.

I liked Dr. Strange and Antman just fine. I feel its about the same quality as those.

Definitely not one of my favorites.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like whenever we get a female lead action hero, there is a disproportionate amount of focus on their factial features. I have never once heard these kinds of commentaries on the male marvel heroes, positive or negative. Not just Bree, but same thing with WW too.

This bullshit right here is just as antithetical to the meaningful evaluation of an artistic work as the nonsense coming from the red-pilled hate brigade. She just gave a bland, robotic, unremarkable performance. It's ok to say so. Hemsworth turned in four of them before they found an interesting take on his character. She'll have plenty more opportunities to leave a mark without stans gaslighting people into celebrating mediocrity.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

The Red Skull got the beta version of the super soldier serum.