• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Good game with too many problems to be my favorite anything. The base it built makes it possible for the sequel to be the best game Nintendo has ever made though. Super hyped for it.

Again ironically it's only of my most hyped games for right now. I think for Nintendo's first open world it's an incredible achievement with some refreshing takes but they have a lot of improvements they can make for the sequel which will push it into a whole new level

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's been stated plenty of times in this thread, but just want to pile on: the foundation BotW has built for its sequel has me more hyped for what's next than just about any game ever before.

BotW is a truly fantastic game - superlative in most every regard and well-deserving of its metascore. But for me, personally? It's a 9/10. And surprisingly my second favorite game of this gen, after Bloodborne. BotW does so, so, so much right - but it's flawed. The divine beasts were too pedestrian - they looked to "samey" and they didn't give me that grand dungeon feeling I feel is a core component of Zelda games. Weapon durability doesn't bug me as much as most - but I wish it was a little less severe. I do wish there was a bit more story. And I also think it needed better enemy variety.

The world? The sense of adventure? The "getting lost" feeling? Better than any game before or after it. But it misses a few key ingredients I want from my Zelda games.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Masterpiece of a game. It's funny because I agree with a lot of the criticism of the game on the shrines, short length of dungeons, some of the storytelling.etc, but the setup of the world overcomes all of that to make it one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. It's crazy how well nintendo did designing the world of BotW understanding things about exploration that other developers have not gotten after years of making these kind of games. Not having 500 waypoints was such a breath of fresh air

Oh yeah I will say that the enemy variety was lacking. I know it made it easier to program for people tackling the vame in different orders but I wanted to see more unique enemies per environment. They could have scaled for that as well.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Most definitely one of the best games ever made. As soon as I hear or read its name I feel fuzzy warm waves of wonder roll over me.

It's magic.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
As someone who usually detests open world games and should have been worried about Zelda going in that direction (idk why I wasn't more, 3D Zelda is one of my favorite franchises and I even liked Skyward Sword for the most part), it's pretty sublime. It's the only big open-world game I've played that actually feels like the developers put effort into making exploring-based mechanics fun and fleshed out and not just something you do because exploring for the sake of exploring is supposed to be fun. I get lost extremely easy in games like this but in BotW the process of getting lost and figuring out where to go was inherently enjoyable. The Divine Beasts don't make up anywhere near as much of the game as dungeons proper do in other games, but I still love them and think they're some of the most well-designed dungeon-esque content in a Zelda game. The physics-based puzzles allow for a versatility in solving puzzles and creating solutions that I've dreamed about other games having. My only issues with it are personal since again I have a lot of trouble playing games like this without getting extremely lost due to my dyspraxia. I'm pretty sure I played it "wrong" since I hardly found any of the seeds and never upgraded my equipment much.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I feel the need to point out that Breath of the Wild was NOT "Nintendos take on an open world game". It was their take on a modern The Legend of Zelda which naturally adopted open world gameplay elements.

If they instead created a new open world tentpole IP, I'm sure its mechanics would have served whatever that games story and theme would have been. In the case of BotW, they wanted a return to the feeling of freedom to solve puzzles from any angle that was found in the original NES Zelda title, which informed the game design and incidentally led to them making the best open-world game I've ever played, at least.
I get it that they wanted to bring back the freedom from the first Zelda title and all that, and that it evolved naturally to an open world game. Their first open world game ever.

And that's my point, that it was their first take on the open world genre. So I dont think that we are talking about different things.

Maybe you are focusing on semantics.

My problem with the game isn't all about design choices. In other words, what I wanted the game to be instead of enjoying what the game is.

My problems are mainly about how some things that they actually put in the game aren't really good, imo.

Like the dungeons. They actually put them into the game. The problem is that they actually sucked.

Instead of putting 120 shrines and 900 korok seeds, why not focus on less but more meaningful collectibles and sidequests?

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm in a place where I can totally see where the critics are coming from... but it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the game whatsoever. People get way too down on this game because it's not their father's Zelda. It's a bold, smart, and wonderfully made reinvention of a classic series that I've spent countless hours on, and will spend countless more hours on before the sequel comes out next year.

And that's why people endlessly coming back to the same points about the lack of dungeons, the weapons, the core gameplay loop bother me so much I guess. Nintendo have announced an iterative sequel which will build and expand on this game. They'll almost definitely address those issues to create an experience that better suits the whole. People need to chill.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I get it that they wanted to bring back the freedom from the first Zelda title and all that, and that it evolved naturally to an open world game. Their first open world game ever.

And that's my point, that it was their first take on the open world genre. So I dont think that we are talking about different things.

Maybe you are focusing on semantics.

My problem with the game isn't all about design choices. In other words, what I wanted the game to be instead of enjoying what the game is.

My problems are mainly about how some things that they actually put in the game aren't really good, imo.

Like the dungeons. They actually put them into the game. The problem is that they actually sucked.

Instead of putting 120 shrines and 900 korok seeds, why not focus on less but more meaningful collectibles and sidequests?
Maybe I am, because I definitely agree with what you're saying lol. Although I wouldn't say the existing "dungeons" sucked, they are my least favorite part of the game.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Irs an alright game. I beat it on wii u and I tried playing it again when I got a switch that came with it but got bored after the first divine beast.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
If the game existed in a chasm where far better open worlds hadn't already released it would have been far more impressive. As it is the games charm isn't enough to keep me compelled past that 100 hour mark.

Wait, the 100 hour mark? Is your standard of open world games that they hold your attention for over 100 hours? Or did you mean 10 hours?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good game with too many problems to be my favorite anything. The base it built makes it possible for the sequel to be the best game Nintendo has ever made though. Super hyped for it.

This is pretty much my exact take on Breath of the Wild. The game itself is heavily flawed, it's an 7.5 or 8/10 game. Compares extremely poorly to other open-world games and shows troubled development along with a disconnect from modern games. But it sets up a nearly-perfect open-world game as a sequel.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
These sense of discovery was truly something else. In fact, the only reason I haven't gone back and played it again since 2017 is because I want to forget everything as much as I can before stepping into the world again.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has their own point of view and it showed so well with this game. There's inspiration here and there from other open world games, but it doesn't play by the same rulebook. I would personally say no other game has ever captured the sense of adventure as well as BotW did.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It has become the family game in my house. Between the four of us, we have put in 1,000 hours on it. On normal mode, my wife's save looks like a big green mess on hero's path! But as lockdown hit, we all started to get back into the game pretty hard. Three of us now have managed to lick Master Mode including the Champion's Ballad DLC, to the place where Master Mode is now our standard chill way of playing - we belt around there as casually as normal.

The game just clicked for us all. I'm the only Zelda vet in the family, but I completely understood how the game works and how it is structured, why it is how it is and why it needs to to be the way it is. So weapons being a disposable resource - fine, giving Link all the toys at the start in order to create a complete free structure - fine, understanding that the success of the open world and joyful traversal is the reason why Link isn't confined in rooms and holes like other games - yep, the way that the game doesn't reward you with some sort of notification or chest for simply "going somewhere" and that it is your own motivation and self-fulfilment that drives you to go to every crack - sure, the experience of just existing is absolutely everything, and how the game's soundtrack is a masterclass in audio.

So yeah, this is Zelda for me now. The absolute benchmark. If we ever go back to being hemmed into zones, walled off behind progression gates, not allowed the freedom to tackle whatever scenario in any way we see fit - I'm going to be quite disappointed. I still enjoy booting the game up to enjoy it - clambering around the environment, stocking up on materials, plotting a course through Hyrule and going for a drive. Simply experiencing the extreme cold and snow, being caught in a huge downpour or lightning storm, is absolute life to me. I used to be someone who took a Yakuza Stinger in GTA3 for a drive up in the hills to listen to MSX FM, watch the weather roll about, so the extension into another world is a big appeal.

It has also ruined other open world games for me. I struggle to go off and play Skyrim on Switch now.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think it has a lot of big issues, like the overly long introduction section, Skyloft being boring, the overworld being segmented/not connected so it doesn't feel like a real world, the boss designs, the Imprisoned fights, and the over-reliance on motion controls. It does have good dungeons but between those dungeons is usually really tedious content imo, besides Lanayru which is good.

But I was talking mainly about SS having over a 90 on Metacritic, despite most people probably not thinking it's over a 90. It's more of a controversial game than the reviews would make it seem.
That's fair. I think SS is deserving of a 90 but all opinions are valid, I understand why some don't like it.

We have these sorts of conversations about Zelda games all the weirdly enough. It happens to other games as well but Zelda is especially prone to it and I always go back to THE chart.

1489349890282.png

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Glad you enjoyed it OP, tried to get into it myself but it just wasn't for me.

I don't think this is true. There is a small vocal minority of (wrong) people who hate it and a lot of people who don't think it deserves the hype but still enjoy it.

I'd hardly call it polarizing. This isn't Death Stranding or hell, even Mario Odyssey.
Was Mario Odyssey polarising? I don't really remember much about the initial response to the game

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Maybe I am, because I definitely agree with what you're saying lol. Although I wouldn't say the existing "dungeons" sucked, they are my least favorite part of the game.

I thought they were pretty cool personally. I loved the desert one. Ok, I cheese the stealth section to pick up the helmet, but the sand seal bit where you have to shoot the feet is cracking - surfing the sand in a sand/lightning storm with amazing music, the actual Divine Beast is also quite challenging in figuring out with the boss being the hardest of the lot, great music on this bit too.

Only thing I'd say is that the Divine Beasts possbly need to disable the Champion's powers when you play them. Get Revali's Gale first and you're able to cheese a bunch of the challenge.

I did enjoy the ballad DLC and having to face off against the bosses using the precise setup that the Champion did. Really difficult.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I was pretty apprehensive about it going in, because I'm a decent fan of traditional Zeldas and don't really like aimless open world stuff. I also value story in games.

I was blown away. The sense of exploration and mystery and grandeur in this broken version of Hyrule is difficult to explain with words.

It goes way beyond "See that mountain? You can go there."

It's about the shooting star you see in the night sky that you can actually track down and pick up where it lands. It's about the mysterious abandoned temple crawling with Guardian Robots that has Loftwing statues everywhere for some reason. It's about the mystery of the 8th Gerudo Heroine and whether or not her statue exists, and the clues you find leading to it (the giant sword took my breath away). It's about getting lost in a blistering snowscape filled with skeletal horses and stumbling upon an imposing, perfectly square construct that you discover is a labyrinth lifted straight from Greek mythology.

Breath of the Wild is its world. It is an experience.

Apr 21, 2018
Was Mario Odyssey polarising? I don't really remember much about the initial response to the game

Seems to be a bit on here, some people ranking it rather low on the 3D Mario list and a lot of people touring 3D World as the superior game.

Who knows. It seems like the ebb and flow of peoples opinions towards Mario's, Zeldas, and Metal Gear Solids is always changing. (But I think the common acknowledgement is they are all generally good games)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I still don't get how people some shit on side quests.

There's one shrine quest that has you going to a mountain with a very vague story of a giant white bird with a "prize in its gut" and you have to look around and see that two snowy plateaus form an image of a giant bird only when observed from that exact position and you glide on on over and see orange glow as you get closer, revealing a shine in a crevice. The prize in the bird's belly.

The perfect use of actual open world as a gameplay mechanic.

Then another one has you figuring out a puzzle with shadows, time of day and melting snowballs based on some researchers raving from a on old journal in a ruined shack,

Another one where you have to figure out how to make a chorus of baby bird people sing in the exact fashion.

There even some basic "get DLC armor" quests that were amazing to me because I was trying to pinpoint their location via landmarks in the clues.

And yes, this game's open world design is special. It's built entirely around weenies, visual landmarks seen from a distance and it's a core part of the gameplay loop. Most other open world games aren't built around weenies.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Eventide was one of my favorite parts, especially since I didn't even find it till like 100+ hours in when randomly in the ocean and seeing it in the distance

I agree. I had completely lost steam in BotW (my biggest mistake was setting a goal of finishing 90 shrines), and I was just feeling bored, and then I stumbled upon Eventide Island... it was the absolute highlight of the game for me and reminded me of how good that game was capable of being.

I'm not as high on BotW as many other people (I wouldn't put it in the top five games of, an admittedly amazing, 2017), but that moment really stands tall for me.

A lot of people here seemed pretty critical of it at times. However, I think most people still acknowledge that it is a well-made game. Personally, I think Odyssey is a marvel, though I do wish it had a little more difficulty before the end of the game. Outside of the difficulty, it is, in my opinion, the very best 3D Mario (and a top 3 Mario game).

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
They just feel like nothing though. I don't remember the names of any of these people in the towns nor remember any of the side quests they would send me on.

This is what I like. At most, any conversation in a town is a maximum of a couple of text boxes each. Enough there to get a flavour, nice red exclamation marks to go pick up something to do, and then you're off back in the world. By the time you're at hour 300 or a multiple play through of the game, not having to wade through conversations is an absolute boon.

Compared to my other open world Switch game - Skyrim - where a play session can be completely absorbed by going through a town, the brevity is refreshing. Be brief, be bright, be gone - I don't have time for this, there is a world out there. It is also why I like that you can pick up the story through memories whenever you feel like it, in any order you wish. Same with the Divine Beasts too. There if I want to, but the game is not contingent on my doing it in order to allow me to play. I play how I want - go around collecting armour and shrines early doors - while someone like my boy goes off and does all the Divine Beasts immediately. No baggage, no clutter, just be free to go do things you want to.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Also, I know many will disagree with me but its soundtrack is also utterly genius.
If they did an OST with traditional bombastic and continually looping themes, it would not be the same game. The subtlety of the soundtrack weaved in with the dynamic increase in tempo when engaged in an encounter, adds immensely to the atmosphere. It reinforces the lore, the sense of the World being barren.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I liked the game, but it simultaneously wasn't what I wanted out of a Zelda game at all. I fell in love with the series for the structure and gameplay introduced with ALTTP, not the original Legend of Zelda. I want to see the return of themed dungeons, a more linear structure, better enemy variety, and classic items like the hookshot.
No chance.

There will probably be more themed dungeons and the hook shot (I'd rather see new runes over the vast majority of older items) but linear structure? No chance.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Even with all its flaws (of which there are many) I still think it's a great new direction for Zelda to go in and if they manage to work out the kinks for the sequel and hopefully provide a fresh new environment and don't rehash the current one too much it could reach true greatness status.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This is what I like. At most, any conversation in a town is a maximum of a couple of text boxes each. Enough there to get a flavour, nice red exclamation marks to go pick up something to do, and then you're off back in the world. By the time you're at hour 300 or a multiple play through of the game, not having to wade through conversations is an absolute boon.

Compared to my other open world Switch game - Skyrim - where a play session can be completely absorbed by going through a town, the brevity is refreshing. Be brief, be bright, be gone - I don't have time for this, there is a world out there. It is also why I like that you can pick up the story through memories whenever you feel like it, in any order you wish. Same with the Divine Beasts too. There if I want to, but the game is not contingent on my doing it in order to allow me to play. I play how I want - go around collecting armour and shrines early doors - while someone like my boy goes off and does all the Divine Beasts immediately. No baggage, no clutter, just be free to go do things you want to.

I totally get that but out of the sheer adventure of exploring a digital world I wasn't incentivized enough to really care. That open sandbox was fun but wore thin quickly for me

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
What, you mean like
-Having flanderized one-note champion characters
-Some weak story about Zelda feeling guilty about being a teenager who didn't listen to daddy's orders?
-Calamity Ganon?

BotW's story is barebones.
Lol dude every post I see from you makes me think you should just buy a Gamecube and never play anything new, ever. You'd probably be happier that way.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
It dethroned FFVII, which was my favorite game from age 10 to age 30. That's just nuts. Nostalgia usually refuses to yield so easily. I still love VII, of course. But holy fuck, Breath of the Wild is phenomenal.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I liked the game, but it simultaneously wasn't what I wanted out of a Zelda game at all. I fell in love with the series for the structure and gameplay introduced with ALTTP, not the original Legend of Zelda. I want to see the return of themed dungeons, a more linear structure, better enemy variety, and classic items like the hookshot.
I agree on more enclosed dungeons but we won't be going back to closed worlds in mainline zelda...it's too well made in terms of discovery and adventure as an open world game and so many ways it could be expanded and deepened. Maybe lengthy quests can be incorporated with a linear structure to cater to these tastes but it may not be enough...

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with the game, but there were some issues that brought it down for me.
- Weapon degradation was incredibly frustrating, especially during boss fights.
- Story was ehhhhhhhh
- Combat was ok
- Last gen visuals

That being said, the positives massively outweighed the negatives for me. The sense of awe and wonder was just incredible, I've never played an open world quite like this one, My only regret is it was tied to what is essentially a last gen visual fidelity. Just go look up the emulations of HDR Zelda on youtube and you'll know what I mean :)

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
I have some game recommendations for you:

Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX/Link's Awakening HD
Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time 3D
Majora's Mask/Majora's Mask 3D
Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker/Wind Waker HD
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess/Twilight Princess HD
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think flanderized means what you think it means. And the story wasn't about Zelda feeling guilty about not listening to her dad. What are you even talking about
She's like I should have trained instead of playing around. Oh, I shouldn't have toyed with those guardians early on etc.

The champions are one-note caricatures. They are all low-tier characters in terms of writing.

The only theme that's kind of interesting is the theme of remembrance and waking up 100 years in the future. They tied that well into the player exploring the world. I just think that the plot surrounding Calamity Ganon is weak. Not awful, it's just sort of "there". The Shiekah plot is lame and most of the characters in the story are incredibly straightforward and boring.

Apr 9, 2019
I'm still playing it and I got it at launch. Tasteful, full of wonder, quite chill but very engrossing too. Stealth missions and gyro shrines (and a few questionable character designs - mainly Purah) are the only frustrations I have after hundreds of hours of play.

So glad it's still selling extremely well. It's the best selling Zelda game ever if I remember correctly and is consistently in the top 10 for Switch sales. Let's hope the sequel is anywhere near as good!

(Slightly off-topic: BotW seems to be inspired by the Ghibli film Princess Mononoke. Recetly I watched Castle in the Sky and couldn't stop thinking about BotW2, with the below ground - in the sky contrast in that film which reminds me of the BotW2 teaser. It's even got a literal Hyrule Castle in the Sky!)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
If they did an OST with traditional bombastic and continually looping themes, it would not be the same game. The subtlety of the soundtrack weaved in with the dynamic increase in tempo when engaged in an encounter, adds immensely to the atmosphere. It reinforces the lore, the sense of the World being barren.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
This game.

This game you guys.

This is one of the greatest games I have ever played. I get it now. I get the hype, I get the reviews, the anticipation for a sequel, it all makes sense. I haven't finished the game yet (50 hours in, mostly doing shrines and side quests, got the MS and beaten the Goron Divine Beast) but I haven't felt this sense of wonder and awe in a game since the first time I played Wind Waker 15 years ago as a kid.

I actually loved it so much I stayed up 2 nights in a row to keep playing. It's just incredible. And the fact it's technically a "last gen" game but its world is more well crafted than 90% of the open world games out on this gen is insane.

Also really enjoying the story, the memories are great and this is the first Zelda story I'm fully invested in! (But I hope Link talks in the sequel...)

The shrines are perfect too, some of the gyro puzzles aren't great but thats not a huge issue...there are a few "bullshit" moments (I dont know how I feel about Eventide, the DLC content is not great, usual repetitive Nintendo UX/UI experience, the "stealth" missions lol) but these are okay in the grand scheme.

Seriously, just a crazy good game.Will remember this playthrough decades from now. So gladto experience this!

I hope Link talks in the sequel too. I NEED him to talk.

I will die on the hill that Link Needs To Talk.

Glad you loved the game, it became an instant classic to me, and superceded the power of nostalgia to replace OoT as my personal GOAT.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Glad you're enjoying it, OP. I enjoyed it for a while but dropped it halfway. Too many issues and not enough interesting content for my liking.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
To me, the game is lacking in so many things.

I hate the weapon degradation. I hate the lack of good dungeons. I hate the lack of a decent storyline. I hate how devoided of rewards for exploration the open world is.
I really liked it, but agree with the list.

Especially the reward part, which is also true for combat / chest and most of shrines.
Before playing it, there was so many superlative about that "just lose yourself and go where you see something nice from distance after climbing". You spend a long ass time going there (because you need stamina to sprint) and you ended up with : A giant skeleton, the thing you already saw from distance. Meh.
There are nice moment like
the abandonned temple or Nedrac location
but they are way too rare.

I always said the fact you have to go to fake location (the shrines) to have puzzles (which aren't good for most of them) show that they failed on this.
I really hope it was a technical limitation and they find a way to integrate them in the Open World for the sequel.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
It's one of my first Zeldas (only played OOT way back and wasn't a fan).

I started playing last month, did about 58 shrines before putting it down for now. Will come back later to do more and try my first divine beast, but had to take a break because I just hate the survival mechanics and the mob respawns. Instead of being excited to explore the world, I get annoyed just thinking about how every few meters enemies spawn out of nowhere and that terrible battle music starts playing. Also hate rains and thunderstorms... really drags the whole moment-to-moment experience down in my book.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nostalgia aside, BotW is my favourite game of all time (okay, after Suikoden 2). For me it's an almost flawless experience and I am glad you enjoying it as well, OP. :)

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently doing my second play through, first time on the Switch, and with the DLC this time. It's really my favourite game this generation. There are so many brilliant things it does, and so many little moments that make it so special.

Glad you're enjoying it, OP!