• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
To each their own , I like BOTW but its nowhere near the best of all time, its not even the bests 3D Zelda game, exploring the world is great, but it lacks so many Zelda staples that it was disappointing game for me personally.

What you call Zelda staples I call tired post-OoT tropes. With BotW, Nintendo did something I didn't think they were interested in anymore - they went back to Zelda 1 and rediscovered what the series was originally about: freedom, adventure and discovery.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
The game is amazing. Played it on release and beated... More than 200 hours according to my Switch.
2 days ago started a new save file just for the kicks and haven't put it down.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What you call Zelda staples I call tired post-OoT tropes. With BotW, Nintendo did something I didn't think they were interested in anymore - they went back to Zelda 1 and rediscovered what the series was originally about: freedom, adventure and discovery.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's not the keys, push blocks, torches and so forth that I remember when I think back to what I found so mesmerizing about my first Zelda games but the sense of endless possibilities and adventure. That BotW was able to capture that magic again for me was what made the game so special. Despite the changes to the formula, it distilled the essence of the original idea behind Zelda better than many games in the series before it have.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
It truly is a joy to walk alongside others playing this game.

Half the fun is asking "So what did you do then?", seeing how their adventure differed from yours. From the puzzles to the locations to fighting monstrous beasts, each playthrough has its own character and life of its own. It really is a joy watching others share in this discovery. :D

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'll copy paste what most have said, it truly is a masterpiece of a game. I never felt rushed, and never really felt I had to grind x or y if I didn't want to. The cooking can be taken to whatever level you want likewise with gearing up. The vistas are amazing and exploring is fun given you can climb everywhere. I kept discovering things each time I went backs and headed off in some random direction. It just kept my interest all the time. Just a wondrous game.

I wasn't a huge fan of the breaking items and I felt the frame rate was a bit dodgy but it didn't ruin it for me

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
It truly is a joy to walk alongside others playing this game.

Half the fun is asking "So what did you do then?", seeing how their adventure differed from yours. From the puzzles to the locations to fighting monstrous beasts, each playthrough has its own character and life of its own. It really is a joy watching others share in this discovery. :D

It is nice to watch others experience it for the first time. This is the first game I actually watched a full playthrough for, and it was fun seeing how they experienced it differently, going in different directions, different orders, and learning things in different ways.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Just an update.

I am 80 hours into Breath of the Wild and I'm in love with this game. To think I almost went this entire generation without playing the best game of the generation.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW had no shortage of breathtaking moments but one of my favorites is arriving at Rito Village on horseback for the first time. You see the village as you're galloping over bridges, until you finally emerge from a canyon and the village and Vah Medoh are fully revealed in all their glory. So good.

Oct 28, 2017
This game reignited my love for video games. It's probably the only game that I explored every nook and cranny of and it never felt boring or a waste of time. No game nails the sense of exploration the way BotW does.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying the game in master mode and finding that magic again

And I have to say, as unbalanced as master mode is sometimes, it DEFINITELY fixes the "unrewarding exploration" problem people seem to have. Every damn thing is a reward because you're barely scraping by lol

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
And I have to say, as unbalanced as master mode is sometimes, it DEFINITELY fixes the "unrewarding exploration" problem people seem to have. Every damn thing is a reward because you're barely scraping by lol
If it could be properly balanced, or if there were fully customisable difficulty settings like in TLoU2 or Supergiant's Hades, it could breathe new life into the game for many

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend has needed this game during the pandemic. Once she had done everything she wanted in Animal Crossing, she started playing this and has gotten almost everything now. She's been working through the Master Sword trials and then she'll have 100%'d it outside of koroks.

This is the first dual analog stick controlling game she's ever played. The only other games she's played outside of the two mentioned above are Overcooked and Mario Party. It's nuts how she's taken to it.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up this week due to covid boredom. Beat the game just now - what a fucking awesome game that caught me at the perfect moment. I dont think ill ever have the patience to 100% this game but what a fucking ride. Im glad i own it now and can revisit it when im ready, but wow i cannot express enough how great this game is.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I have a question and being that this game is about exploring and discovery I want to ask if you can be as vague as humanly possible. Thnx

I know I can go to the castle at any time to take on Ganon but I am doing all my side missions at the moment. I noticed my last memories photo looks like it's in the castle. Can I finish that sidequest without triggering the end sequence?

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question and being that this game is about exploring and discovery I want to ask if you can be as vague as humanly possible. Thnx

I know I can go to the castle at any time to take on Ganon but I am doing all my side missions at the moment. I noticed my last memories photo looks like it's in the castle. Can I finish that sidequest without triggering the end sequence?
Yes. Going to the castle doesn't trigger anything. You can get to the castle and always go back. It's only when you get up to the top where Ganon is that you can't turn back. I seem to remember that it's fairly obvious.

Also, just to clarify, no photo memories are tied to the Ganon section.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
The sense of exploration is something that I haven't found on any other open world game this gen.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a similar experience. Really enjoying the exploration. It's really calming after a day of work to just melt into the couch and explore wherever I want. I'm 20-30 hours in, and I've still only uncovered a bit over half of the map. I'm at my second guardian now (the bird).

Still frustrated by breaking weapons and level scaling though. My master sword doesn't feel like much of a reward now that it barely damages the new damage sponge bokoblins I'm coming across.

I'm thinking of doing the Master Sword trials to make the weapon relevant, but that's quite the undertaking.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
I haven't jumped in recently but I no-lifed this game in 2017 and it got me through a real rough patch in my life. Such a wonderful adventure.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I just wanted to update those that are following my journey with this game. I just finished it. After 115 hours I beat BOTW. This is easily the best open-world adventure game I ever played and it's not close. As close to a perfect experience as I ever had in this medium.