• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been really craving a classic JRPG to play through, and seeing how much I admired this series and its gorgeous presentation before I figured it was time to play one of them. I decided to play 3 hearing it's when the series really found its footing.

latest

I'll just say right away that I absolutely loved this game and my time with it, and I knew right off the bat that I was in for a good time just from how colorful and beautiful the game looked. The game was just really simple and mostly lighthearted in a way that I really appreciate, and there was just a sense of adventure that instantly hooked me. The characters are all fun with very defined personalities and it's rare for me to pretty much like all of the party members. The sprite work is incredible with so much charm, just seeing the changes Ryu's animation had throughout gave him so much character. The battle system was also very fun, with a lot of room for experimentation, especially with Ryu's dragon transformations. The apprentice and examine systems felt like I had a lot of options with character builds, and it's giving me a gooood incentive to replay it again some day. Ultimately it was a really short and sweet experience that I know I'll remember.

I have a few issues with it though. The encounter rate was annoying enough that I ended up using a guide just to know where to go so I don't end up fighting random mobs too much. The constant party switching felt really unnecessary also a lot of the times, but especially all the times the game REQUIRED a certain party member for you to progress. You might as well have Garr and Momo in your party permanently, because the game really really wants you to use them. Except the one instance with Rei none of the others are ever required. Probably my biggest grievance with the game though is the pacing in the second half, by the time you get all your party back in the timeskip your one objective in the game is stretched and padded to a 10 hour endeavor, and it isn't really done in an interesting way. Pretty much all the most memorable story beats happen before the timeskip. Also confusion sucks.

Despite that the good definitely outweighs the bad and it's definitely one of the best JRPGs I played. I'm really excited to play the rest of the series eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
3 is a really rad game, glad you enjoyed it. The art direction and vibe of these games was top notch. Imo 4 improves on it in pretty much every way so be excited, such a cool series.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
2,3 and Dragon Quarter are the highlights for me. 1 is a bit too dated though. 4 is beautiful but it never grabbed me even though it's a great time.

Would love a collection of some sorts

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
Love it, the soundtrack has been etched in my mind for eternity. Had to play it 2 and half times to finish it once because my friend saved over my state twice.

EDIT: BoF 4 is the better game for me though, one of my Top 10 RPGs.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Hey I was just playing the PSP version of this on my Vita last week.

There's a lot that's annoying about this game but there's also a ton to love.

I think it's got the best Dragon mechanic the series saw and some of the music is top notch.

If I was musically inclined I'd be doing covers and remixes of Everyday Battle.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
2, 3 and 4 are masterpieces imo. Tho BoFIV is my fav of the bunch.

IV doesn't solves the random combat problem but it does with the party, since the 6 party members are always in every battle.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My fave JRPG ever. You're right in that most of the best stuff happens pre timeskip, but

the reunion with rei

Which is my favourite story arc in the game is post timeskip. Plus the return to the factory with momo is very good too.

Also, Chain formation with above spoiler character, ryu and peco with spoiler in lead giving everyone their agility is godly. SO MANY EX TURNS. The Jazz influenced BGM by Yoshino Aoki & Akari Kaida that is my favourite JRPG BGM ever.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Hope you enjoy the rest of the series! Don't be deterred by some of the opinions on BoFV you might come across. It's a contentious title but a freaking brilliant game imo

BoF just hits me in the feels. This game has the most 90s JRPG music of the time, in the best possible way.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Great game along with 4. Some minor annoyances like the camera but overall it's a solid title. Nothing really like it in terms of jrpgs' seven today.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
You can make the rncounter rate less annoying with an acessory from the fish mini game shop, it helps a lot. Im glad you mentioned Ryu animations, im pretty sure his attack accuracy increases after the first animation change (after Rei and Teepo leave the party). This game is amazing.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite JRPG. Feels like it really went against the prevailing trends of the time when JRPGs were just getting increasingly grandiose and melodramatic in scope, while this was much more light-hearted and the story being way more about personal stakes than the end of the world or whatever. Tied together beautifully by an idyllic easy going setting and lovable cast of characters.

There are actually several ways you can regulate the random encounter rate. First, running actually increases the encounter rate so you can try moving slower. But more importantly, hugging walls as you move will basically completely negate them as it messes with how the game is able to calculate positions/enemy spawns or something. I learned this from a speedrun. You can get through the whole game with an extremely miniscule amount of encounters if you stick to this tactic.

Wiwefak

Dec 8, 2017
Breath of Fire 3 is my favorite of the series. It hit me hard when I was playing when I was younger. Lots of themes with grey morals. (Example: Nue storyline)

I also love when games have timeskips and it has some visible changes. Character sprites changing due to age is always a nice thouch

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm way more into 3 than 4. Love the soundtrack and mood in 3, and though 4's art is really good too I'll take 3 as a overall package any day.

V is incredible of course but it really is its own beast.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I'm almost surprised to see how many how this in such high regard. Way back when I played it I felt it was a bit slow, almost boring at times with not much going for it. The audiovisuals are great though. Maybe I'll change my mind the next time I play it. Been meaning to do a series playthrough at some point.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
That PSP version's opening song.. My god, those first few keys always hit me on the feels. The essence of 90s JRPG distilled.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Also I love how Ryu is such a crybaby. He cries over everything. There's an instance at the industrial farm where Nina starts teasing him while Momo is busy talking about grownup technical stuff and he starts crying over that too.

It's probably one of the exceedingly few cases of a video game protagonist (much less a male one) who is allowed to be shown crying.

OP
OP
Spinosaurus

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Also I love how Ryu is such a crybaby. He cries over everything. There's an instance at the industrial farm where Nina starts teasing him while Momo is busy talking about grownup technical stuff and he starts crying over that too.

It's probably one of the exceedingly few cases of a video game protagonist (much less a male one) who is allowed to be shown crying.
I'm not particularly big on blank state protags (though I don't really hate them either) but it was really easy to be endeared by Ryu just on his animations. Him throwing his sword to charge for the transformation as an adult (contrast to how he did it as a kid) is so badass.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly big on blank state protags (though I don't really hate them either) but it was really easy to be endeared by Ryu just on his animations. Him throwing his sword to charge for the transformation as an adult (contrast to how he did it as a kid) is so badass.

It actually changes twice - the first change is when he has to protect Nina from Balio & Sunder in the windia dungeon. For the first time he has to protect someone else rather than being protected by Rei. It's a great, subtle moment.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Already been mentioned, but I really love how Ryu's animations subtly change over the course of the child arc, and by the time he grows up, he's basically become a badass.

Another thing I really love from a presentation standpoint is how some important plot related boss fights have their own themes that are used once, and that's it. Really helps make them memorable.

Specifically, the two separate boss themes for Garr and the one for Teepo later on

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My second favorite game in the series after Dragon Quarter. Fun characters, the master system offers customization while not being overly complicated, the time skip is interesting, solid visuals & music, etc. I remember messing with stats & getting it so that Nina could debuff just about anything, even bosses. Fun times.

EDIT: I think the key was to give Nina the Meditation skill which boosts her Int up to x2. And when her Int is boosted that high, ailment/debuff skills have very high success rates. Lowering the enemy's agility might have helped as well.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game, you should play 2 and 4 as well, for somewhat similar experiences. BOF4 tries a bit too hard to be an FF-Esque blockbuster JRPG, but it still retains some of the charm of the previous games.

However, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (the fifth one) is the best game in the series and one of the greatest games ever. It was so much ahead of its time that its time possibly still hasn't come yet. It is completely different than the previous four games, so don't expect anything similar.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first RPG I ever played, loved all 5 entries in the series.

That PSP version's opening song.. My god, those first few keys always hit me on the feels. The essence of 90s JRPG distilled.

Pretty sure this is the same as the PSX version.

I have always wondered why Karn from Breath of Fire 1 isn't in that mural.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
Breath of Fire 3 and 4 were the first JRPG's I've ever played. Love it to bits. To this day when my brother (his nerdy twin friends introduced the games to us) sees me playing a JRPG he goes "oh it's just like breath of fire".

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome game - this game is PEAK Capcom, I really love it. My favorite in the series. Looks great to this day.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My second favorite game in the series after Dragon Quarter. Fun characters, the master system offers customization while not being overly complicated, the time skip is interesting, solid visuals & music, etc. I remember messing with stats & getting it so that Nina could debuff just about anything, even bosses. Fun times.

EDIT: I think the key was to give Nina the Meditation skill which boosts her Int up to x2. And when her Int is boosted that high, ailment/debuff skills have very high success rates. Lowering the enemy's agility might have helped as well.

Did you ever try keeping Ryu at level 1 until Bunyan is unlocked as a master? He becomes a beast.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did you ever try keeping Ryu at level 1 until Bunyan is unlocked as a master? He becomes a beast.

Yep, I did that as well.

For those who are unaware, you get stat bonuses & penalties when you LV-Up based on what master is attached to the character. However, the first master doesn't show up until later in the game. So what you do is you kill off Ryu and rely on the other party members to fight battles until you get to that point and that lets you customize Ryu's stats far more than normal.

Likewise, there's a character that you get later on that starts at LV1. You want to make sure to not let it get any LVs until you hook it up to a good master.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I did that as well.

For those who are unaware, you get stat bonuses & penalties when you LV-Up based on what master is attached to the character. However, the first master doesn't show up until later in the game. So what you do is you kill off Ryu and rely on the other party members to fight battles until you get to that point and that lets you customize Ryu's stats far more than normal.

Likewise, there's a character that you get later on that starts at LV1. You want to make sure to not let it get any LVs until you hook it up to an appropriate master.

Yep. There's also the strat of keeping Teepo at level one too until the Nue is done, so you can apprentice him to Mygas at lvl1 and get his skills quick before the epilogue to the McNeil act.

The master system makes BOF3 so replayable for me.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of characters & masters, is there any trick to making Momo into a great character? I love the character design (a healer inventor with a rocket launcher), but heal magic isn't that useful in the game & her hit% is awful unless you work really hard on it.

Similarly, I remember Garr not being all that useful.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually playing thru BOF3 right now (8 hours or so in) after finishing and loving BOF4 and I'm struggling with it.

The game just feels like hours upon hours of aimless wandering because the game needs you to visit certain hotspots without much logical/plot/character justification.

Wander to new place->"Oh maybe we could go to this place"->Wander to new place.

Like, Momo's tower is a great example. Why am I going there? Why am I entering it? Obviously it's because the game wants me to in order to pick up the science-girl party member but the characters in the game aren't given any logical plot-related motives for doing so.

So far in this game there have been several times when it's been very clear what the game wants me to do next, but not at all clear why any of my party members would want to do that, and that kinda feels like the bad old days of JRPG narrative.

BOF4 had a lot of "long journey across various world map hotspots" stuff too, but it did a MUCH better job of framing why your party was doing that and what their in-world goals were, and I'm a little bummed about it because I was looking forward to liking BOF3.

Last edited:

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the first games I got when I got my PS1. I remembered seeing it in magazines and falling in love with the look. Absolutely one of my favorites. From the characters, music, setting, and one of the best fishing minigames of all time.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of characters & masters, is there any trick to making Momo into a great character? I love the character design (a healer inventor with a rocket launcher), but heal magic isn't that useful in the game & her hit% is awful unless you work really hard on it.

I recall she was ok with a hit up item and D'lonzo as master, But there is no reason to user her over the golden trio of ryu/peco/high agi person. She's most effective with Bunyan used for quick spurts of levelling and D'Lonzo for important times, but the combo is too annoying to bother with.

Garr just sucks. I think Bunyan is best for him because his MP is so pathetic it's not even worth trying to raise.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually playing thru BOF3 right now (8 hours or so in) after finishing and loving BOF4 and I'm struggling with it.

The game just feels like hours upon hours of aimless wandering because the game needs you to visit certain hotspots without much logical/plot/character justification.

Wander to new place->"Oh maybe we could go to this place"->Wander to new place.

Like, Momo's tower is a great example. Why am I going there? Why am I entering it? Obviously it's because the game wants me to in order to pick up the science-girl party member but the characters in the game aren't given any logical motives for doing so.

So far in this game there have been several times when it's been very clear what the game wants me to do next, but not at all clear why any of my party members would want to do that, and that kinda feels like the bad old days of JRPG narrative.

Because the road ahead is being blocked off by balio & sunder's goons iirc, so it's the only place you can go for help. And you're both kids and Nina wants to ask the way back to Wyndia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spinosaurus

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017

I gave her Merryleep as a master and picked up Shadowwalk (though I gave that to Ryu eventually) and War Shout. Eventually she was basically my fast healer and buffer, which was super nice since my Ryu really couldn't heal well and was really my main damage dealer anyway. Only issue is that she really couldn't take hits well.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
GOAT soundtrack

Breath of Fire 3 is still one of my all-time favourite games. No video game memory is as vivid as me being 10 years old, in the 90s and stuck in the desert for months. Literal months.
Already mentioned, but the animations were top notch, they gave the characters so much personality.
So much to love about this game.
Speedruns of the game are pretty wild; tried myself and had a 10~ hour completion.
Might be time to pick it back up.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I recall she was ok with a hit up item and D'lonzo as master. But there is no reason to user her over the golden trio of ryu/peco/high agi person.

Doing a quick google search, it looks like the best strategy for Momo is to give her Shadow Walk which is an attack skill that is guaranteed to critical hit with 100% accuracy so that she can deal decent damage & then you just pick whichever masters give stat bonuses you want.

I usually went Ryu/Peco/Nina. Nina was great for debuffing bosses and against regular encounters, you just spam her multi-target abilities.

Man, now I'm in the mood to play this, but my Vita is broken. They really need to do a complete BoF collection and put it on the Switch/PC/PS5/etc.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a quick google search, it looks like the best strategy for Momo is to give her Shadow Walk which is an attack skill that is guaranteed to critical hit with 100% accuracy so that she can deal decent damage & then you just pick whichever masters give stat bonuses you want.

I usually went Ryu/Peco/Nina. Nina was great for debuffing bosses and against regular encounters, you just spam her multi-target abilities.

Yep, that's a great strategy. I went for my one because with Chain formation Ryu & Peco would pick up those super high AGI values and get EX turns on most everyone.

Plus I'm an item horder so I normally save my magic for bosses lol

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite rpgs, it has so many good bits that others here have already touched on. I especially love how the game strives for its own identity in the genre by being super colorful, having a laidback jazzy soundtrack and presenting a simple captivating tale of adventure in an age where jrpgs were increasingly going for epic scales and convoluted storylines. I love how much it encompasses the "show, don't tell" approach with the setting and characterization, like when Ryu's fighting animation changes from a hesitant sword swing to a determined slash as he grows older. The game plays all its cards straight and yet ends up weaving some interesting philosophical storytelling about themes like freedom vs security, the role of a god and so on.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you have seen the light OP.

It is one of my favorite RPGs ever. The timeskip is beautiful, specially as others have mentioned...
The reunion with Rei, and later the fight with Teepo :(

It's such a bittersweet game, lighthearted at times, brutal at others.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
everyones already said what i wanted to say about this wonderful game, so ill just add that im dying for some fancy vinyl company to release the OST. love this soundtrack.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I prefer 4 to 3, but I still really enjoyed 3 and I've always felt this game flew a bit underneath a bunch of peoples radars.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom should put these in a collection. Some of the best RPGs on their respective systems.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My one complaint is the telekinetic combat, but I complain about that in every JRPG that has it.

Well, that's a lie, I'll complain about the desert too, but that's a given from anyone who's played the game.