• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The "second half" people refer to isn't actually the second half, for me it was the last 5 hours of a 55 hour game and I quite enjoyed that bit because thankfully I skipped redoing all the side quests.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
My favorite game of all time. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I did - the soundtrack is second to none. If memory serves me right some rematches are optional since they're only intended to flesh out backstories and add more to to the overarching plot, but you could skip them if you don't feel like spending too much time on sidequests.

It's such a shame haters are so hung up on criticizing the second half of the game; I never felt like the game dragged at any point back when I played it for the first time, but to each their own I guess.

I can't wait for you to listen to the final boss fight. It used to be my Twitter handle for years before I decided to start anew and create a second account.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
How is the second game compared to one?

If you don't mind my butting in to add my two cents, but I thought Bravely Second was overall a less mindblowing experience than BD. The soundtrack (which for me was the best part of BD) isn't nearly as diverse and ryo relies too much on guitar and most tracks lack a real melody. I suppose it took me a couple days to tell some tracks apart but they all eventually started to grow on me.

The overall plot is just as interesting with as many twists as the first one but do not expect as many puns on names. I loved the original universe and I was really happy to see a lot of characters coming back and how the new plot ties into the original story. The overall structure is the same so it's not like you'll have to learn something entirely new to play - BS builds on story, not gameplay, but the battle system's so incredibly exhilarating that it never gets stale.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The soundtrack to the first and second game are done by different people and you can really tell. I still have to finish the second one but the audio takes a pretty big plunge from the first.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
My favorite game of all time. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I did - the soundtrack is second to none. If memory serves me right some rematches are optional since they're only intended to flesh out backstories and add more to to the overarching plot, but you could skip them if you don't feel like spending too much time on sidequests.

It's such a shame haters are so hung up on criticizing the second half of the game; I never felt like the game dragged at any point back when I played it for the first time, but to each their own I guess.

I can't wait for you to listen to the final boss fight. It used to be my Twitter handle for years before I decided to start anew and create a second account.

Oh, I've already listened to the final boss track literally hundreds of times

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just wondering what the big deal is, if you can turn encounters off, and if a majority of the repeated content in the later chapters is optional? Or am I missing something?
It's going to get old. Much of the content is optional, but the game still keeps beating the point into your head over and over. A little more variety in the later portions of the game would have been better.

There's also the fact that the game sort of... penalizes you for using your brain.

Figuring out what's going on early and acting accordingly on your own actually locks you out of the true ending, which is some of the best content in the game. You have to go all the way through as if you don't know what's happening.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, did you get spoiled?

I spoiled myself years ago back when i thought i wouldnt get a 3DS. I also know the spoiler about the subtitle. Which i hate myself for now :( because if I didn't spoil myself I would have NO idea and would be completely caught off-guard. At least I've only read about it and haven't seen the scenes play out, so there's that to look forward to

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
It's going to get old. Much of the content is optional, but the game still keeps beating the point into your head over and over. A little more variety in the later portions of the game would have been better.

There's also the fact that the game sort of... penalizes you for using your brain.

Figuring out what's going on early and acting accordingly on your own actually locks you out of the true ending, which is some of the best content in the game. You have to go all the way through as if you don't know what's happening.

What? Ive heard the bad ending is easy to get and doesnt lock anything, can someone confirm this?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What? Ive heard the bad ending is easy to get and doesnt lock anything, can someone confirm this?

It doesn't lock you out of anything, both endings send you back to a spot where you can make a choice.

You can also safely skip pretty much all of the repeated content unless you really want to see minor variations in story. Just rush the temples. The optional fights don't have any special loot or anything.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Special" is the right word for Bravely Default. There's a lot about it that's sloppy... but it's worth it.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I actually returned to this a few months ago, having put it down years ago. I actually found myself falling in love with the second half thanks to the story. I immediately picked up the sequel although not sure when I'll ever have time for it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's a 60 hour game with a ~5 hour time loop section that can actually just be skipped almost entirely if you want and still get the true ending.

Not sure why so many people lie about the """"""""""second half""""""""" of the game lol.

Also a great game!

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss battle is very difficult, so i recommend anyone playing not to skip all the optional battles cuz they're an easy way to acquire a large amount of job points.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it, OP. It's my favourite turn-based combat system ever! The music is outstanding, the characters are endearing and the artwork is gorgeous. The QoL features here should become standard in all JRPGs. Travelling the world map via airships gives you that nostalgic FF feeling.
Overall, it's just an amazing game!

The second game has an improved battle system (better QoL, Spellcraft), but the music and the story were a step down from the original. The story was a bit more casual and not taken seriously, which affected my enjoyment. But still, it's definitely worth playing if you enjoy BDFF.

Really looking forward to the 3rd game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I loved it as well!

So much even that I unlocked every class and maxed out every class and loved it from start to finish, people always complain about the repetition at the half point but there's fun deviations that add to the story and every cycle you get stronger so those last couple cycles you breeze through. It was worth it for that ending and post credit scene.

It's a shame the second game's stuck on the 3DS.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Chapter 5 onwards stood out for one major thing: The battle system really starting to shine. It's probably the best JRPG turn-based combat experience I'd had outside Atlus titles.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I prefer the battle systems of Baten Kaitos 1&2, FFXIII, Grandia III, and Shadow Hearts over BD's, but it's still a fantastic battle system.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm glad I stuck with it ... the options and combat is awesome ... Repeating crap in the middle almost made me put don the game for good... I came back to it a month or 2 later.
Building a party with monk power and 4X pirate move or something was amazing... I can't remember exactly ... but it allows you to make some really awesome builds mixing and matching abilities and crap

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I beat it!!!

I must admit that I rushed Chapter 8 a little bit (I get 3 loops, but 4 seemed excessive lol). The Asterisk fights becoming 4 holders at once was interesting, but the rewards were absolutely pathetic; all I'd get is 999 JP and an Ether. Not worth the backtracking and the extra difficulty, so I skipped the last 2 in Eternia.

That aside, overall it was a wonderful experience. Will definitely be getting Bravely Second sometime within the next year. I originally planned on buying BS and skipping BD, but I'm glad enough people told me to not skip BD.

One thing about the story that really bugged me though: am I missing something, or is Braev Lee a huge idiot? I feel like he could've handled things far better. Though I admit I did zone out during some repeat Asterisk fight cutscenes so I might've missed some clarifying info. I also never read D's Journal...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I beat it!!!

I must admit that I rushed Chapter 8 a little bit (I get 3 loops, but 4 seemed excessive lol). The Asterisk fights becoming 4 holders at once was interesting, but the rewards were absolutely pathetic; all I'd get is 999 JP and an Ether. Not worth the backtracking and the extra difficulty, so I skipped the last 2 in Eternia.

That aside, overall it was a wonderful experience. Will definitely be getting Bravely Second sometime within the next year. I originally planned on buying BS and skipping BD, but I'm glad enough people told me to not skip BD.

One thing about the story that really bugged me though: am I missing something, or is Braev Lee a huge idiot? I feel like he could've handled things far better. Though I admit I did zone out during some repeat Asterisk fight cutscenes so I might've missed some clarifying info. I also never read D's Journal...
How sick was this at the end:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
How is the second game compared to one?
I thought it wasn't as good. Not enough new stuff with the battle system (which is excellent, but after the first game I'd seen it enough). The plot was fine, but also felt like a retread since it's still largely the same world, locations, etc. Just overall lack of a feeling of exploration, y'know?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you liked it. I never could love it myself I gave up around Chapter 4 I think. I tried to pick it back up a couple of times but I lost interest. Then I heard you had to redo parts too so I was out. The game is gorgeous though.

I also have the second game on my shelf but I will probably never touch it lol