• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boy oh boy. This show was heckin amazing. I just finished the series last night and I have so many thoughts.
I've rarely come across a show that has given me such a multitude of emotions. It's a cliche but I laughed, I cried, and there were times I felt extremely uncomfortable. This show has so many emotional punches to the gut.
I think it might be the best animated show I've ever seen and is up there with the best EVER, animated or otherwise.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, time for a rewatch. Thank you very much OP. It's my number one favorite show ever.

Nov 29, 2018
Just finished a rewatch last week and it still gives me chills. And yeah, it's definitely a contender for one of my favorite shows of all time.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I honestly feel as though Bojack Horseman delivered from start to finish. It's one of the vanishingly few TV shows I can say that about. There was no "bad season" or even truly "bad episode" for me.

OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first two seasons I think are kinda weak compared to the rest of the series. But I understand that they're really two seasons worth of set-up and lulling you into a false sense that this is just a normal comedy that gets a little raunchy sometimes.
It's not until S3 that the show really begins to hit it's stride and of course there's that final episode of S3 that just hooked me. After that episode my partner and I were glued to the screen and basically marathoned the series over the next week.
There were sometimes we had to stop because an episode got a little too real and would hit one of us in a particularly strong way. There's one episode in particular that made me cry within the first few seconds and I had to pause and collect myself. It's the one that features a bunch of Bojacks inner dialogue. I know all too well about that inner voice that is constantly nagging you and telling you how much of a shit person you are.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
The first two seasons I think are kinda weak compared to the rest of the series. But I understand that they're really two seasons worth of set-up and lulling you into a false sense that this is just a normal comedy that gets a little raunchy sometimes.
It's not until S3 that the show really begins to hit it's stride and of course there's that final episode of S3 that just hooked me. After that episode my partner and I were glued to the screen and basically marathoned the series over the next week.
There were sometimes we had to stop because an episode got a little too real and would hit one of us in a particularly strong way. There's one episode in particular that made me cry within the first few seconds and I had to pause and collect myself. It's the one that features a bunch of Bojacks inner dialogue. I know all too well about that inner voice that is constantly nagging you and telling you how much of a shit person you are.
Oh yeah, Stupid Piece of Sh*t is really good when it comes to that, the ending line for the episode is an absolute whammer, too.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I've rewatched once and it's amazing because everything (or almost) they set up in the first season is later adress at lenght in the following seasons. I was thinking of rewatching it since I don't have anything to watch rn, and I just might. It is amazing.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
I also rewatched it recently and like you said, is such an emotional rollercoaster. One of my favorites episodes is the one in season 6 with Diane trying to write a book about her own trauma, it really resonated with me as a creative person who also had a childhood that left me with a looot of baggage and feeling like I have to do something with it or else it was for nothing.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I also rewatched it recently and like you said, is such an emotional rollercoaster. One of my favorites episodes is the one in season 6 with Diane trying to write a book about her own trauma, it really resonated with me as a creative person who also had a childhood that left me with a looot of baggage and feeling like I have to do something with it or else it was for nothing.
Good Damage is truly fucking powerful. I loved how they let Diane go on anti-depressants, gain weight and no one makes a single joke about it ever. Instead, she gets to have a successful book series and fines love.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
THE CARPENTER'S BOY WAS A HUNGRY BOY
HUNGRY FOR LIFE AND DOT DOT DOT
HUNGRY FOR CRUMPETS

He actually wrote dot dot dot.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
rQCx1BT.png

This show is easily what I think about when people try to poo-poo Netflix's selection. It's absolutely one of the best animated shows ever. And also features many of the best animal-related puns and jokes ever lol

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Incredible show. I think I've watched it like 5 times at this point. I hate that I can relate so much to it, but when it's not heartbreaking they cram an insane amount of hilarious writing in there.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Good Damage is truly fucking powerful. I loved how they let Diane go on anti-depressants, gain weight and no one makes a single joke about it ever. Instead, she gets to have a successful book series and fines love.

Yeaah I loved that, Diane is not my favorite character but her arc, specially on the last season is absolutely beautiful.

OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite character might be Mr. Peanut butter. His presidential campaign arc was the best. It's great how his character is exactly what you would expect a dog to act like if dogs had human traits and personalities. He's the ultimate optimistic, excruciatingly upbeat and excitable, gullible as all get out, but he's always there for his friends and loved ones. The way he sticks his tongue out after saying something really stupid that he thinks is smart gets me every time.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed Bojack, may rewatch it at some point but I'm not in a rush. Fantastic show.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeaah I loved that, Diane is not my favorite character but her arc, specially on the last season is absolutely beautiful.

Almost works part of the message? I liked Diane more as the series went on. She was always realistic, and it was great to see her break from her problems and as a whole even become more likable.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Free Churro to this day is one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. The show was already great before that, but then that episode hits and it just transcends everything. Fantastic.

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite shows, yet I never finished. Think I made it halfway through next to last season, and felt like it was going downhill quite a bit. Eventually just fell off.

Oct 25, 2017
Not if you were the last albino rhino gyno on the planet!

Well I'm the only albino rhino gyno I know. Should we get some wine?

Oh great, you're also a wine addict...

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love that seasons one and two feel stronger on rewatch. They're so good at establishing what's to come.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the most incredibly powerful shows I've ever watched. It deftly explores the human condition, trauma, coping, addiction and what it truly means to be yourself. I never had a show make me look myself in the mirror and do an introspection. There's so much wisdom being spoken and some of the jokes are laugh out loud hilarious. The Zach Braff gig where they get stuck in the underground had me in stitches.

The only thing I kind of did not care for was the bit about two old timey journalists talking like movie actors from the 40's in the final season. Thought it felt flat but honestly season 6 is so good it's easy to overlook.

OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite shows, yet I never finished. Think I made it halfway through next to last season, and felt like it was going downhill quite a bit. Eventually just fell off.
You oughta finish it. I don't see where S5 gets weak but I won't discredit your opinion. But after getting so far and seeing where the characters are I don't see how you could not want to see where they land.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Bojack Horseman is probably my 2nd favorite TV show ever (after VEEP), and there is a lot of things to appreciate about, but it is the show I can never recommend to anyone because it requires you to understand many pop culture reference for many of its jokes to stick. Most importantly because it is by far the darkest show I have ever watched, and I could never muster the strength to tell anyone about it, like ever.

Incidentally, I am on my 3rd/4th rewatch of it right now.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
One of my favorite TV shows ever, such an emotional rollercoaster

"The view from halfway down" is GOLDEN tv

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I kind of did not care for was the bit about two old timey journalists talking like movie actors from the 40's in the final season. Thought it felt flat but honestly season 6 is so good it's easy to overlook.
lol my girlfriend and I regularly steal the line from the episode where they go to New Mexico (trying to avoid spoilers.)

"A SECOND refrigerator? Ha! Well give my regards to the Rockefellers!"

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Time's Arrow, Free Churro, and The View from Halfway Down are all top-tier, AAA+ episodes that absolute SHRED me each and every time I see them. Even just clips from them. I kind of think the ending of the show would be better if TVFHD was the final episode, but I can see that being a bit too dark for the audience to have gone for that.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Legit one of the best pieces of TV ever made. It's so much better than it has any right to be.

Nov 17, 2017
Along with the other episodes mentioned, Fish Out of Water is one of my all time favourite episodes.

The visuals, the soundtrack, the gag right at the end - Perfection.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I need to do a full rewatch of the show. I did multiple rewatches, at least one before each new season, but I haven't gone back yet. Season 3 is what I consider peak TV. It's one of the best, if not the best season of television for what it does with all characters involved.
rQCx1BT.png

This show is easily what I think about when people try to poo-poo Netflix's selection. It's absolutely one of the best animated shows ever. And also features many of the best animal-related puns and jokes ever lol
This is the song that got me to discover Courtney Barnett.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite animated shows of all time even if it did make me feel terrible watching it. It always made me feel empty inside and I loved it.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Show is insanely good. Stupid Piece of Shit and The View From Halfway Down are my favorite episodes

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Recently rewatched Free Churro just by itself because that is probably one of my favorite episodes of anything ever. But I do want to do a series rewatch because it is just that good. I really need Netflix to release the whole series on Blu-Ray instead of just the first 2 seasons so I can make sure I'll always be able to watch it.