• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It looks fine enough, but I also wasn't honestly all that bothered by how it looked before they redid textures and added a million goddamned light sources all over the place.

Which platform are you playing it on, BTW? The Switch version definitely is a downgrade graphically and so far the best place to play it is on PC for almost every reason.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Guys trust me when I tell you that I too, was very disappointed that Iga didn't make Bloodstained a pure 2D Sprite/Bitmapped game. I'm probably the biggest 2D whore on this whole forum and play old retro games at least 50% of the time, so I know what it's like to want an Igavania be 100% 2D. That being said, what can ya do? The man and his team aren't made of money and from I understand making a gorgeous 2D game filled with beautiful pixel art and backgrounds requires a team with an extraordinary budget. Am I way off base on this assumption?

Anyway I should have mentioned I'm playing on PC. Laptop with a 1050Ti, all settings maxed out and getting a rock solid 60fps. So I suppose that may be why I think it looks so good.

On a side note, can someone name some other metroidvanias available on steam that look better than Bloodstained?

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Does this game actually run fine now performance wise? I heard it was quite ropey in places on PS4. Does this mean the pro too? As if I bought it , it'd be for the pro

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Guys trust me when I tell you that I too, was very disappointed that Iga didn't make Bloodstained a pure 2D Sprite/Bitmapped game. I'm probably the biggest 2D whore on this whole forum and play old retro games at least 50% of the time, so I know what it's like to want an Igavania be 100% 2D. That being said, what can ya do? The man and his team aren't made of money and from I understand making a gorgeous 2D game filled with beautiful pixel art and backgrounds requires a team with an extraordinary budget. Am I way off base on this assumption?

Anyway I should have mentioned I'm playing on PC. Laptop with a 1050Ti, all settings maxed out and getting a rock solid 60fps. So I suppose that may be why I think it looks so good.

On a side note, can someone name some other metroidvanias available on steam that look better than Bloodstained?

Hollow Knight. Ori.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game. It's a fair criticism to mention that it is inconsistent and doesn't stay on narrative and is too easily broken. Otherwise, the game is a damn legend. I'll be coming back to this one years from now. It's just too much fun.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

- hollow knight
-blasphemous
-ori and the blind forest
-death gambits

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There is a certain surreal, dreamlike quality to Bloodstained's visuals... but it's still hideous. It looks kinda like an HD remaster of a much older game; and not intentionally.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, people think it looks terrible. It can still be an amazing game that many people will enjoy and be visually disappointing.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like how it looks, and thinks it looks great the vast majority of the time. The only thing that is a little distracting are the backer portraits, and some of the enemies based off of backer pets. Everything else looks damn good. The polish pass they did during the final stretch of development really paid off, I think.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The art style is ugly as sin to me. Having a wallpaper with HUD elements on it must be taking the piss.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even stylish games can look ugly. I love the new Killer Instinct and most of the time it looks fantastic, but sometimes the character models/faces/something looks cheap.

It also doesn't help a bloodstained that it's in a genre that's packed with absolutely stunning looking games right now.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It looks acceptable and sometimes even great but the character designs are fucking hideous and gaudy. Sometimes the enemy models made me think I was playing an unfinished Castlevania with like tentative/placeholder models. The gameplay is identical to previous igavanias and that's all I wanted anyway.

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, looks like one of those high end indie games from the 360 era. And as one user said before, the models clash with the backgrunds.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean have you seen the animation and camera work?

Itsme_yourboy_Gebes.gif

Like, come on. It legit looks like a PSX game in every way other than textures.

Look at the teleportation animation for the the stained glass. It's trash.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game looks fine to me. some earlier footage made me iffy but i don't recall playing it and thinking "damn these are some gimped ass production values" [fake edit: menu UI does look like it was made by one dude on Gamemaker or some shit]

in a perfect world it'd look like a vanillaware game but we're not in a perfect world. IMO good enough

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
From what I've seen, the enemy designs look like they were done by the kids of the developers. And they're about as consistent as you'd expect.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Having a wallpaper with HUD elements on it is like those old people who take pictures of other pictures on their computer with their phone.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It looks kinda bad but it's a reaaaaally fantastic game that sits worthy besides SOTN so.. Who cares.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw screenshots I originally didn't like the way it looked either, but I tried it out for a minute on game pass and something about the graphics actually works.

It has kind of a Street Fighter 4 & 5 feel about it if you know what I mean. Not just in terms of graphics but in the way the graphics affect the overall sense of feedback. Kinda hard to describe.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In a perfect world I would have loved them to take some cues from Guilty Gear, but I know that is an impossible ask, and a crazy amount of work to get anywhere near for this type of game.

DQ5j51.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reminding me to keep going, I'm playing it through Game Pass and I've been enjoying it a lot so far, feels like Castlevania SOTN.

JohannCK

Mar 21, 2018
Bloodstained was finally released in Japan today after multiple delays.

The US release of the game has Japanese language options implemented to begin with and has been available in import stores for months for the same price as what the Japanese release it set at. Many people already bought that version, while others have went and bought the official Japanese release today.

Japanese Kickstarter backers on the other hand have not yet gotten the game.

They only sent this e-mail out today:

Hello everyone,

We have an update to provide you regarding delivery of Japanese copies of the game to backers both in Japan and globally. Copies of the game have begun shipping this week, and will continue to do so in the coming weeks, depending on platform and circumstantial logistics. XB1 copies will be the first to arrive, and PS4 & Switch Japanese copies of the game for backers outside of Japan will be arriving last. We will also be sending digital copies of the game as soon as they're available in the coming weeks. If you don't receive your package or a shipping confirmation right away there's no cause for concern, it's just the normal processing of the production queue. We will also be providing all backers with an extra digital copy of the game for your respective platform to thank you for your patience and apologize for these unexpected delays.

For any other backer support requests, please contact Fangamer at [email protected].

- The Bloodstained team at 505 Games, ArtPlay, GSE, and Fangamer

Note that they say that they will give backers digital codes as an "apology". Emphasis on "will" because they haven't yet, despite the game already having been released.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it now with Gamepass, and while I think the art is inconsistent, it hasn't stopped me from playing. It's an incredible game. Gameplay is KING. I haven't enjoyed this kind of game since SOTN.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I wish Miriam (and a few other female characters to some extent) didn't had that ridiculously huge (and also badly modelled) chest. Also wish they had chosen 2D artwork for character conversations instead with the rough 3D models (like Indivisible and Shantae did with different sprites for every emotion though character boxes like in classic Castlevania titles would also worked well).

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's pure kitsch. Some area's look fine, others are ugly as fuck. Overall it's okay. Fun game though, that's most important.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't think it looks ugly, it is ugly:

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-wallpaper-5.jpg

Yes, is have parts where it looks decent, but overall is a crime for eyes.

It would be salvageable with someone that know anything about lighting, since assets aren't completely bad.
But yeah, lighting in Bloodstained is the first major culprit.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's unfortunately uneven, but can look really good in some rooms.
The character/enemy art is clearly not meant to be seen as close up as it gets sometimes... but the environment looks awesome sometimes.

Overall I'm happy enough with it.
It might be my game of the year.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018

It would be salvageable with someone that know anything about lightning, since assets aren't completely bad.
But yeah, lightning in Bloodstained is the first major culprit.
In my case I cranked the gamma down and it looked quite better

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018

It would be salvageable with someone that know anything about lightning, since assets aren't completely bad.
But yeah, lightning in Bloodstained is the first major culprit.
Honestly it doesnt look anything like this on my tv, this is way too bright and washed out. The game looks decent with the right settings.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Struggle to take any thread seriously which has 'lol' in the title but yes, personally I couldn't get on with the game, for reasons including the look.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

It would be salvageable with someone that know anything about lighting, since assets aren't completely bad.
But yeah, lighting in Bloodstained is the first major culprit.
I'm sour about the Switch release and still waiting for the update in November before I touch the game, but this is simply unfair and unwarranted.

You linked a screenshot from the beta demo, see timestamp of the exact same scene in the DF video. So you're 100% bullshit.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having fans design monsters was a mistake. 2.5D was a mistake. The lighting is wildly inconsistent. Nah dude, I'm fine. Game is fugly.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Beat the 8BO yesterday. My goodness what a problem boss. And yeah that screenshot posted is bullshit. My game looks tons better. I'm thinking most people complaining are playing it on console. Maxed out on PC it looks gorgeous.